90 Min: Ralf Rangnick's damning assessment of Maguire, Shaw & Wan-Bissaka

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Shame if it isn't true. Would love to see Maguire get the boot.

Scholsey2004

First one to call it. I knew Fred will be an integral part of Ralf plans. Not surprised about awb and maguire. Surprised about shaw though. The latter has been fantastic and he doesn't need his confidence shot like this. Awb is a good defensive fullback. I feel like he might have to make a transition similiar to gomez of Liverpool to thrive in this new approach. It is amazing that we spent close to £200m on our defense recently and then our new consultant say they aren't good enough. Definitely not what a board will want to hear
Wan Bissaka is very good in one-on-one situations and not much else really. He's terrible against crosses and in the air and when he chases back he often looks pretty half hearted in his efforts. He's mediocre technically and in attack as well. Shaw is a bit more of a mystery as when he's on form he's very good. Mourinho definitely wasnt a fan and Van Gaal was pretty ambilalent about him. There have been criticisms of his weight and lifestyle throughout his career and, objectively, he does still carry a bit of weight. Seperately I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the leaks to the press are from Shaw. That being said he is still one of our best players.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Don’t know when you compare Shaw to the like of Robertson, Tierney, Digne, Alonso, Cresswell, Chilwell, does he really offer more than these guys?
Last season he was the best leftback in the world, and probably better than any of those except perhaps Robertson will ever reach. The question is whether that was a fluke season or whether he can get back to that level?

Shaw at his best basically doesn't have a weakness other than his right foot and perhaps standing off a little too far and allowing players to get crosses into the box. He's ridiculously strong, fast, probably the best first touch in the team, great passer and often acts as our main playmaker and creative force. It's just up to him and the manager/coaches to get him up near that level consistently.

Ixion

I would like this to be true but there is absolutely no chance it is. He isnt making an assessment like this so quickly.

Shaw at his best basically doesn't have a weakness other than his right foot and perhaps standing off a little too far and allowing players to get crosses into the box.
He is very slow/lazy about getting back into position when he's been up the pitch

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Ultimately he's right and I'd love to see who he would sign if he was in the job for a couple of years with a budget like he's never had before.
Is Ralf or the head coach in Man Utd still responsible for player recruitment? what are the responsibility of DOF or Head scout actually?

Bwuk

I agree. This forum has a hard on for Shaw.

None of them are particularly brilliant.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Shaw has been good for two seasons out of the 7 or so he's been here? We can't exactly bank on that.

I hope this is all true, we need a blunt reality check.
You hope all our high profile players fail. Ahh yes that sounds like something we should hope for. How about hoping shaw returns to form as the best LB in the league. Maguire regains his confidence to become a solid presence again. AWB improves in a coaching system while regaining his ability to be a 1vs1 defensive weapon.

Ill never understand some fans attitude of wanting our players to fail just to be proved right.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Given how player power has been allowed to spiral out of control, none of those attending that alleged meeting would leak this information. It would be completely counter productive. It's likely he doesn't think half of them are up to the job, and it may well include all those players as well, but there is no way this story is based on anything substantive.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I agree. This forum has a hard on for Shaw.

None of them are particularly brilliant.
I've always felt telles was better than shaw except for six months last season when shaw upped his game. However, shaw has again slipped back down the pecking order.

Currently telles > shaw.

Shaw being english gets a long rope, just like rashford who gets an even bigger rope.

predator

Youth NITK
Would be great if true but all of these players will be hard to get rid of because of their wages and transfer fees, especially Maguire. As mad as it sounds I think Maguire is untouchable at United for the next few years, unless we find a club willing to pay a decent fee.

As others have said, if any presentation was ever given then it will be to the owners or the board. There is no way journalists would ever find out about that. The articles is made up garbage and a waste of life reading.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I mean, last year you were all saying on here that he was miles better than all of those (aside from Robertson).
Last year is a different season though, he was really good last year, even got in the team of the year and narrowly missed out on Euros team of the tournament but sort of irrelevant to his piss poor form this year.

dal

£160m of fairly recently signed players right there. Damning indictment of our scouting and transfer negotiating teams.

As much as I don’t like what City stand for, when they make a mistake they don’t cling on to it hoping one day it’ll come good, they replace.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I want it to be true.

"Hey you remember that 130m you splashed out on defence? Yeah it's a waste".

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Last year is a different season though, he was really good last year, even got in the team of the year and narrowly missed out on Euros team of the tournament but sort of irrelevant to his piss poor form this year.
In a team that finished 2nd in both competitions and he was one of the best players in each. He was good at Southampton / United before the leg break. I think he's probably one of those players that is great in a side with confidence but probably suffers a lot when the rest of the team is. Perhaps that's a question of mentality which fans and people at United might deem not good enough but I'd disagree.

Ixion

Shaw is having his worst season at the club this year yet people want him in the starting XI no matter what. Telles was one of the better players at Villa and the immediate reaction was to call him shite and get Shaw back in, it's bizarre. 1 good season out of 7, no consistency, called out by 2 managers and can have his worst season at the club and people still insist he has to start every week. It's our insistence that players like Shaw and Maguire are world class and title winners in waiting when they've achieved nothing why we never go anywhere.

Greck

Don't know if true but you have to laugh when people who like AWB say let's hire Ten Haag. His technique is easily worse than Lukaku's. No modern system is carrying a fullback that has to ready his entire body to play a basic 5 yard pass.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
In a team that finished 2nd in both competitions and he was one of the best players in each. He was good at Southampton / United before the leg break. I think he's probably one of those players that is great in a side with confidence but probably suffers a lot when the rest of the team is. Perhaps that's a question of mentality which fans and people at United might deem not good enough but I'd disagree.
I agree to an extent but like another poster said, 2/7 good seasons just isn't really good enough to the standard we aspire to be. We don't really have the luxury of being able to carry fair weather players anymore.

Oranges038

There's barely any players in the whole squad who are suited to playing a high pressing game. So, if that's the route he's going down, there's a lot more than those 3 that need to go.

the_cliff

Rubbish source. But I agree with the assessment, all 3 are not United level. All 3 will never be in a back 4 that will win a major title.

Shaw is trash. His best performances in his career have come in a back 5 and he wasn't playing for United.

Hester_manc

Rangnick is an idiot, if this is true. Shaw is am amazing left back. Maguire has had a terrible season, but last season he was world class most of the time. Since day one I have had a bad feeling about Rangnick, and it is getting worse and worse almost every day. He is really bad news for out progress.

fezzerUTD

Rangnick is an idiot, if this is true. Shaw is am amazing left back. Maguire has had a terrible season, but last season he was world class most of the time. Every since day one I have had a bad feeling about Rangnick, and it is getting worse and worse almost every day. He is really bad news for out progress.
Shaw is useless, he constantly plays balls with his head down. Hitting no hope in hell crosses to centre backs without looking up. He’s overweight and whinges like a spoilt kid.

Rangnick is spot on with the 3 players mentioned and tbh hasn’t even scratched the surface yet. Theres a reason we win sweet FA and these 3 are part of the reason.

Lentwood

I thought we discouraged posting nonsense from irreputable sources?

Even IF such a meeting has taken place, how the hell would this chap know the intricacies of a private conversation between our senior management team?

Witchking

Rangnick is an idiot, if this is true. Shaw is am amazing left back. Maguire has had a terrible season, but last season he was world class most of the time. Since day one I have had a bad feeling about Rangnick, and it is getting worse and worse almost every day. He is really bad news for out progress.
Yes, because we were progressing really well before Ralf arrived at United.

Are professional players allowed to have a full season dip in form?

Last season Maguire was not world class. He was adequate. World class is someone who marshalls the defence. We kept coming back every other game to win and hardly kept any clean sheets.

Shaw as well post Euros has been crap. If the report is true then is a good start for a clear out.

caid

Even at his best theres weaknesses to his game. He covers a fairly limited amount of space.
He wont make runs to the byline for overlaps, he wont often move beyond the opponents box as a rule and if he does its probably towards the goal for a shot. He can put in a good cross but they're usually from pretty deep positions. Its mentioned above that he isn't particularly good about getting back quickly and they're right. Maguire gets dragged out wide fairly routinely. If a winger goes past him, he fouls them, at least once a match and pretty much always gets away with it (he doesn't like chasing back). He tends to tire out and have pretty limited impact later in games.
Hes pretty good at defending once he's back to be fair to him but i can see why a high pressing, high energy coach wouldn't love him. Its pretty understandable really.
He's far from bad despite that, very good technique, passing, positioning. Maybe someone like Ten Hag would have a different view on him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Shaw, Maguire and AWB didn't play on Saturday, what story can I make up ....

izec

Shaw has not been good since the summer. Same goes for Maguire. AWB is just trash.

AWB and Maguire get torn a new one on a daily basis in their threads as well. Shaw always needs a kick up his ass. It is not completely unbelievable.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just watch Cucurella today and compare with Shaw. You will see what are we missing .

youngrell

Kinda funny how everyone had Lindelof as the guy to upgrade in our back 4 under Ole and now he’s the only one good enough.

sugar_kane

Shaw has not been good since the summer. Same goes for Maguire. AWB is just trash.

AWB and Maguire get torn a new one on a daily basis in their threads as well. Shaw always needs a kick up his ass. It is not completely unbelievable.
Has anyone?

Thoroughly disagree on Shaw, assuming this article is true which it probably isn't. He's far from perfect but I'd be surprised if Rangnick thinks there is nothing to work with there, the raw ability is present and he's improved massively over the past couple of seasons.

AWB ability wise I don't think will ever be the level we need. Maguire same, but his problem is mentality rather than ability.