90 Min: Ralf Rangnick's damning assessment of Maguire, Shaw & Wan-Bissaka

MrSingh2002

I've thought this about Shaw as long as he's played for us barring a one month spell before he broke his leg where he was in shape and showed good athleticism.

Slow and steady doesn't impress Rangnick either it appears.

NoPace

I can't say I have a good sense of if Shaw suits a pressing team but he and Telles are fine and we have like 6 spots to address first before just letting them fight it out and one emerge as starter.

MrSingh2002

Ultimately he's right and I'd love to see who he would sign if he was in the job for a couple of years with a budget like he's never had before.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I dont understand how Mctominay escapes these allegations? His only great attribute is his shooting? He is doing that thing that Lingard did were he just survives long enough.
The allegations of not being good enough to play in defence for Man Utd? SHOCKING REVELATIONS ABOUT MCTOMINAY!

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I might actually end my war with him. Peace treaty drafted tonight if he goes back and includes Mctominay.

Anybody know why he might not like Shaw? Only thing that comes to mind is his unwillingness to use his right foot.
Can't speak for Ralph, but for me there is a good player there but the mentality is all wrong, no fight or desire to maintain the levels he has shown in glimpses.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don’t know when you compare Shaw to the like of Robertson, Tierney, Digne, Alonso, Cresswell, Chilwell, does he really offer more than these guys?
I mean, last year you were all saying on here that he was miles better than all of those (aside from Robertson).

Newstyle

Why is everyone so gullible? Where is the source criticism?

MrSingh2002

Don't forget Shaw only stepped up abit AFTER we signed Telles.

That says he disrespected the shirt for many years beforehand. Telles forced him to actually try and create with the ball and start crossing. Before Telles came he didn't want to even take a corner.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The amount of faith people have in RR given he's done feck all in the job so far is staggering I have to say

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't forget Shaw only stepped up abit AFTER we signed Telles.

That says he disrespected the shirt for many years beforehand. Telles forced him to actually try and create with the ball and start crossing. Before Telles came he didn't want to even take a corner.
Hard to forget things that didn't happen

NoPace

Don’t know when you compare Shaw to the like of Robertson, Tierney, Digne, Alonso, Cresswell, Chilwell, does he really offer more than these guys?
He's probably better than Digne overall and definitely Cresswell (unless your team has 0 set piece takers and some good aerial threats then maybe it's closer) but Chillwell has wild swings, Alonso struggles in a back 4 often. Robertson has his faults but he's the best overall of those guys. Tierney is good too.

I just can't imagine looking at our squad and not wanting a CB to partner Varane, a RB, a DM and a #8 before looking to replace Shaw, and we're not going to sign 5 first team players this summer.

We should sell Maguire to Newcastle for 60M this week. They'd presumably do it as it really would probably keep them up as long as he can play 15 of the last 18 games and he'd give them some credibility and we could buy a 23 year old CB in the summer for the 10-15M less with lower wages.

Deery

Dreary
I mean, last year you were all saying on here that he was miles better than all of those (aside from Robertson).
Shaw gets a lot of love on here but not always from me, I thought we should have been in for Tierney, he’s a decent player no doubt but I always wondered how one of those guys would fair at left back they seem to add a lot more in the way of attack but that’s just my opinion.

Woodzy

Meh not even Jose would call 3/4 of his potential starting defence shit. Clearly bullshit generated based on what the overall public opinion seems to be at the moment.

macheda14

This is completely different to a potentially made up transfer story. :lol: :lol:
I’m sorry. But do you actually think Graeme Bailey has gotten this story ahead of every other far more reputable journo out there? Do you actually think he has access to boardroom level talks? Do you also think this is in anyway a story that could be classified as libellous? Do you even know what libel is? In what way is this story damaging to United’s reputation enough that they would go to court?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
In todays edition of 'you'll believe everything you read'.......

Dominos

Is this guy legit or not? Never seen his name before, so I'm assuming no.
Graeme Bailey used to report for Sky way back.

However it's pretty implausible that he's the journalist who has the exclusive inside scoop regarding Rangnick's meetings with the CEO. I'm not aware of him having any track record with regards to United news.

NoPace

The amount of faith people have in RR given he's done feck all in the job so far is staggering I have to say
I think it's fair to rate his player evaluation but not assume he's going to be a great manager here since that's what his record at Leipzig suggests, to the extent he can be given credit/blame for those moves. Selling Cunha for 20M and Janelt being let go for peanuts don't look great but the rest does.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Disagree on Shaw and Maguire, both would be squad players at least in United teams of old.
Even though it's not said in the article, I'm pretty sure Rangnick would have been talking about 'replaced as starters'. I mean, that's what could be considered striking about these three players (that they're often starting), and if he really would have meant 'replace as squad members', I'd say there are some others that would be mentioned first.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Shaw has been an under achiever for years. He’s only shown 2 periods in all the years that he’s been here that lived up to his price tag, 6 weeks up until he had that leg injury and last season when he was excellent to be fair.

He clearly has an attitude problem much like martial, his previous managers including mourinho and poch have both alluded to this even

hungrywing

I think it's fair to rate his player evaluation but not assume he's going to be a great manager here since that's what his record at Leipzig suggests, to the extent he can be given credit/blame for those moves. Selling Cunha for 20M and Janelt being let go for peanuts don't look great but the rest does.
Is there a resource with all of his transfers in/out across all the clubs he's been at?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Never heard of the bloke who wrote the piece and we're expected to believe he has insider knowledge on a presentation Rangnick delivered to internal stakeholders. Although I agree Maguire and Bissaka are not good enough, I doubt this story.

arnie_ni

Last season he was better than them all. Its getting him to maintain that level is the issue

C3Pique

To be fair he can only really base his assessment on what he's seen since he arrived, and all 3 (amongst many others) have been poor all season.

dinostar77

Who is max kilman? Is he any good?

Agree with one of the earlier posters, that wan bissaka is a mystery. Was a winger in youth team days so how is he so bad in contributing to attacking play? Why not develop him into a CB then? Looks like having the attributes to olay at CB.

Can see the shortcomings in Shaw, though coaching can fix that. Not tracking bcak properly. Not busting a gut to get back into position when ball is lost up the pitch. Also too many goals conceeded from his side of the pitch.

Maguire the less said the better. White elephant.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Graeme Bailey isn't the most reliable of journos, and someone like James Ducker would have to report similar to give the story traction.

But having said that, if we sold Maguire, AWB and Shaw, I'd be fine as long as we replaced them with players who fit the profile of player that is suited to playing a high intensity game style in a compact high line. Luke Shaw does show glimpses of being a good LB from time to time but overall he's a inconsistent fullback and much more is required of the modern day fullback if we're to challenge the best teams domestically and in Europe.

Ethan Laird should be given a opportunity at RB, and I'm hoping we bring in a young talented CB, who is comfortable playing on the front foot in a high line with or without the ball to partner Varane.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No chance this report is true. A journo of 90-min breaking this news, especially when neither Bailey nor 90-min are known to break reliable news, seems really unlikely irrespective of the content of the news.

Coming to the content - Sell 3 of the back 4, sign Kilman, Fred good enough for a pressing side (which is a fair point) just screams unreliable and untrue to me

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
First one to call it. I knew Fred will be an integral part of Ralf plans. Not surprised about awb and maguire. Surprised about shaw though. The latter has been fantastic and he doesn't need his confidence shot like this. Awb is a good defensive fullback. I feel like he might have to make a transition similiar to gomez of Liverpool to thrive in this new approach. It is amazing that we spent close to £200m on our defense recently and then our new consultant say they aren't good enough. Definitely not what a board will want to hear

pascell

The article source might be bs but it's spot on.

Maguire has zero leadership qualities, doesn't organise the defence and is one of the main culprits for losing possession and then panicking under pressure. We got absolutely rinsed by Leicester, every man and their dog could've told Woodward at the time but he obviously wouldn't listen, we should've paid £30m tops.

Same as above for Wan-Bissaka, how we paid £50m is absolutely embarrassing but sure he has a sliding tackle in his repertoire, thats because he needs it to make up for his positioning and awareness. Let's not get started on his attacking abilities.

Shaw hasn't improved much, it at all over the 7.5 years he's been at United. Had a purple patch last season and was labelled 'World class', he's not even near that bracket. He doesn't keep himself in shape, will probably start regressing in his late 20s like Rooney.

£150m they were bought for combined, hopefully we learn from our mistakes.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He’s started Maguire at every opportunity he’s had, no? Hasn’t Shaw started most games whenever he’s been fit/not suspended too?
Doesnt really mean anything? He can't start Alphonso Davies.

These are the players that the club looked at as key players for the first team in the coming years, Ragnick might think none of them are good enough long-term even if they are better than the current alternatives.

acnumber9

£160m of fairly recently signed players right there. Damning indictment of our scouting and transfer negotiating teams.

As much as I don’t like what City stand for, when they make a mistake they don’t cling on to it hoping one day it’ll come good, they replace.
They don’t live by the same financial rules United do.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
On his day he is brilliant. Just not so much since the Euros.

The problem here is that if RR goes to the board and tells them that their billion pond squad is mostly useless, they're likely to shoot the messenger, abandon the whole high press experiment and just pay Poch to pretend like he does at PSG.