90 Min: Ralf Rangnick's damning assessment of Maguire, Shaw & Wan-Bissaka

Andersonson

How can Shaw go from being the most reliable top level player in the team to suddenly not being good enough for Utd in the span of 6 months?
One good season doesnt make you top class. He has had one good season in 7 seasons. He has been underwhelming largely his whole career here

MrBest

If there is no truth to it, how is it a leak? And if there is no leak in this case, there's no snitch to sack.

You can't blame the club for a fabricated story
Fair on your comment, maybe my message was not clear. What i am trying to say is in comparison to other big clubs, we always seem to get a lot of negative press on players and coaches. Some is true, some is fabricated.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
a group of people who don't tell anyone anything
This got me thinking. There is one possible attendee who might have some incentive to leak all kinds of disruptive information about the squad and the club. Someone who might have a grudge that stems from their own experience. Someone with a known predilection for attention seeking behaviour. Someone with history of saying too much to anyone who will listen. Someone who's leaving a high profile position, who might well have been pushed out instead of walking away, as is claimed, owing to the club's disastrous period post Fergie and last summer's apparent period of meaningful reflection by the owners.

Now, I've been posting cryptically but I'm sure we can all connect the dots and reach the same conclusion. Just in case, I'll post it here, too. It's...Rebekah Vardy.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Shaw has been called out by 2 manager now.

Maguire is not suited to high press style

I dont think there is any debate on AWB anymore.

Not surprising but yes we should be looking at players who can replace them. Maguire and Shaw can remain as squad players

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
£160m of fairly recently signed players right there. Damning indictment of our scouting and transfer negotiating teams.

As much as I don’t like what City stand for, when they make a mistake they don’t cling on to it hoping one day it’ll come good, they replace.
You can do that only if you can afford to do that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Totally agree.

I haven’t seen the interview with pre Utd Ralf where he says Shaw isn’t up to it but I’d imagine he says the problem with him is that he doesn’t play with enough intensity. The thing with Shaw is, have you noticed this too, when he plays really well we also usually play well. So much of our attacking threat comes from him for better or worse. When he plays at walking pace or in the languid style we see too often the attack loses serious impetus. I believe AWB suffers from the same problem but he’s not as useful on the ball. Neither do enough on the overlap or go all out to draw fouls or pull defenders out of their shape. I totally agree that fullbacks are the wingers of todays game but it’s an even harder gig with double the work.
I agree with you, that we look better when Shaw is playing well. He's technically a very good player but he's not someone who I feel has the fitness/stamina to provide the intensity up and down the flank for long periods in the game if we want to transition from a reactive team to a proactive, high pressing team going forward. Someone mentioned the Brighton fullback, Cucurella earlier, and having watched him play earlier against Chelsea, he provided a intensity both in offensive and defensive transitions, which I can't picture Shaw providing for long periods of the game.

Below is the Rangnick clip.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree with you, that we look better when Shaw is playing well. He's technically a very good player but he's not someone who I feel has the fitness/stamina to provide the intensity up and down the flank for long periods in the game if we want to transition from a reactive team to a proactive, high pressing team going forward. Someone mentioned the Brighton fullback, Cucurella earlier, and having watched him play earlier against Chelsea, he provided a intensity both in offensive and defensive transitions, which I can't picture Shaw providing for long periods of the game.

Below is the Rangnick clip.

Ouch. Feel the burn. You know Shaws definitely seen that. I do think he’s been improving again recently and was probably our most consistent player in the second half of last season. Recently he was pretty good against Burnley with Sancho on the overlap. It’s too up and down though. He’s lacking in intensity but he’s definitely a classy player on his day. It’s a tough one to call with him.

I rate Cucurella and have him in my FPL team. He seems to be taking to the league quickly. Playing in a back 5 is a different animal though. He can bomb forward to make the kind interceptions and dribbles a player in 4 would be negligent in attempting. I wonder about Telles in a 5. I think he could a similar job. He has that bit of crazy about him and his delivery is potent if he can start finding his range. Don’t rate him as a defender at all though.

Teja

I personally believe in what Rangnick is doing, but seriously how much weight do we give his opinion right now? For all we know, Ten Hag might come in, play 3 at the back with Shaw as the 3rd CB and change all our opinions again.

If we scroll back just a couple of months, we were all about how Shaw was excellent technically and we should transition him to a midfielder or something.

nainaisson

Excelente. We need to be ruthless with those not good enough.
Read the article. It doesn't say anything about Rangnick declaring those players to be "not good enough". In fact, the article says next to nothing, except a part about Rangnick being vaguely interested in a Wolves defender.

CG1010

How can shaw go from being the best full back in the world to this! It's simply crazy

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is probably the redcafe assessment to be honest.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If you’re going to write a fake article I would expect more words.

AndySmith1990

I would agree.

If you remove the price tags from our players and leave it off the evaluations of them, there's really nothing to indicate that those guys are at the level we're aspiring to. AWB is garbage quite frankly, and with all due respect to Leicester, that was Maguire's level.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Getting clicks from something like this is like shooting fish in a barrel. Maguire and AWB, in particular, are extremely unpopular with the online fan base - who will happily believe anything, regardless of how shite the source is, as long as their prejudices are confirmed.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Disagree on Shaw and Maguire, both would be squad players at least in United teams of old.
SAF's squad players in defence included Berg, May and a horde of homegrown talent (Oshea, Wes, Phil Neville, Evans etc). I doubt that he would have kept 50m-80m signings in reserve especially since their salaries would probably reflect the fee we paid.

If you ask me

a- Maguire would either be signed when he was at Hull or not signed at all. There's no way SAF would spend 80m on such limited CB.
b- He would have gone for Van Dijk and he would never gone for AWB (we haven't had a purely defensive FB since Paul Parker)
c- Shaw would probably still be bought.
d- SAF would have promoted Laird, Williams, Tuanzebe and Mengi.

Redlyn

After the season Shaw's had where he genuinely looked world class pretty much every game and carried it on at the euros, I am almost shocked how fast some have turned on him. But fans are fickle.

PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2020–21
Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2018–19
Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2018–19, 2020–21

There is no comparison with AWB. He's never winning any of those individual awards.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Read the article. It doesn't say anything about Rangnick declaring those players to be "not good enough". In fact, the article says next to nothing, except a part about Rangnick being vaguely interested in a Wolves defender.
That’s what I got out of it too.

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

I actually rate Wan Bissaka, but Shaw seems to have gone back to his pre-resurgence form and Maguire just needs to feck off. I'd have the former two around.

Ixion

After the season Shaw's had where he genuinely looked world class pretty much every game and carried it on at the euros, I am almost shocked how fast some have turned on him. But fans are fickle.
We're over halfway through this season and it's probably his worst at the club, after waiting 4-5 seasons for him to come good in the first place. It's not that fast.

The Euros is overstated, it was basically a home tournament for England and a good draw. A good cup run doesn't mean players can produce for 38 games to challenge for the league which is ultimately what we need to focus on.

(I dont believe this report at all but I do think it is worth scrutinising Maguire and Shaw's performances and status at the club more if they and the team want to progress. England players are very easily overhyped)

redpatron

He’s 100% right about all three. Shaw is good but he’s not highest paid leftback in the world good. Shaw is due for contract extension there’s no way we should give him a pay raise, sell him and find another younger cheaper left back.

bringbackbebe

So media now has access to plans drawn up inside the Manchester United executive meetings? Looks like people writing stuff for click bait primarily.

padzilla

Hipster
Shaw has been getting away with it for years, as has Maguire, they put in the odd okay performance and strut about the place like multiple title winners.

Getting rid of those two and replacing with mobile, hard working defenders who can keep the ball and aren't constantly caught out of position would be an excellent step forward.

I should note, I am not expecting that to happen as they're probably on massive wages and seen as assets by the board because of the money they've invested in them.

The question you have to ask is would either of them start for City and Liverpool and the answer is a resounding no, especially Shaw.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Shaw has been an under achiever for years. He’s only shown 2 periods in all the years that he’s been here that lived up to his price tag, 6 weeks up until he had that leg injury and last season when he was excellent to be fair.

He clearly has an attitude problem much like martial, his previous managers including mourinho and poch have both alluded to this even
You must have missed the 18/19 season when he won the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award.

I know Shaw has been erratic but the under rating of him by some here verges on the ridiculous. He is one of the best left backs in the EPL and would be a useful part of any squad.

Redlyn

We're over halfway through this season and it's probably his worst at the club, after waiting 4-5 seasons for him to come good in the first place. It's not that fast.

The Euros is overstated, it was basically a home tournament for England and a good draw. A good cup run doesn't mean players can produce for 38 games to challenge for the league which is ultimately what we need to focus on.

(I dont believe this report at all but I do think it is worth scrutinising Maguire and Shaw's performances and status at the club more if they and the team want to progress. England players are very easily overhyped)
Euros is irrelevant really. It is fast within the context of him having been poty/ppoty in 2 of the past 3 seasons. Not even worth being a squad player now.

They waited for him to get back on track after his big injury and find his fitness/rythym. So he has regressed this season but is it enough to ignore the past 3 seasons where he has been decent to great? Apparently.

I am not opposed to getting a better player but frankly I'd overhaul most of the squad first.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Some fans and players don't like it when they hear the truth.
Rangnick is right we will never win trophies with some of the players we have here. Get Rid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Seems bullocks mainly because Shaw is in there. People have short memories.

captaincantona

Getting clicks from something like this is like shooting fish in a barrel. Maguire and AWB, in particular, are extremely unpopular with the online fan base - who will happily believe anything, regardless of how shite the source is, as long as their prejudices are confirmed.
Are Maguire and Bissaka very popular with the offline fan base then?

Roane

For what it's worth I think it's open season on UTD and we are going to be getting all sorts of ridiculous stories almost every day. Likes of Shaw, Maguire and AWB have been getting stick from certain corners for a long time.

I'm not saying the stick they get is good or bad just putting it into context why maybe certain players will be getting highlighted in press stories. So ultimately need taking with a pinch of salt.

That said, and I'm not saying it's true or in fact happened/took place, is the thought of Ralf doing a presentation to the board, of the type mentioned, that far fetched?

Maybe elements of it are far fetched. But ultimately isn't this exactly what would be expected of Ralf as interim? Even going onto being consultant isn't this what he would be expected to do? Again I don't mean necessarily a PowerPoint presentation to a board but maybe a report?

As fans we have focussed so much on Ralf as manager and performances on the pitch but isn't his role far more than that? Can you argue that his on the pitch performances are only a small percentage of his ultimate role? The main one being to "take stock"? See who is worth keeping, who should be sold, type we need to buy and then pick a manager and hand over whilst taking a position as consultant?

We as fans are obviously focussed on the performances/league position/ how we play etc but isn't Ralfs appointment actually a lot more than that and his 6 months as interim manager almost a feasibility study? (Can't think of a better word but hope you get what I mean)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Disagree on Shaw and Maguire, both would be squad players at least in United teams of old.
Neither would accept that role at United, nor does their contract and previous squad status account for that. It should be painfully obvious to us, of all clubs by now, that you cannot overpromise to players and underdeliver in terms of their squad status and seniority. These two players either need to be first choice or moved on from the club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Neither would accept that role at United, nor does their contract and previous squad status account for that. It should be painfully obvious to us, of all clubs by now, that you cannot overpromise to players and underdeliver in terms of their squad status and seniority. These two players either need to be first choice or moved on from the club.
I think Maguire would as he's won nothing in the game. Even Shaw has barely won anything yet at United. Maguire is 28 now and I doubt he'd get a move to another 'top' team so I'd be surprised if he left. Clearly they should be starters for their price/wages but I think both would try and fight for their place unless they were completely pushed out.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
People are so weird about Luke Shaw. He's obviously an excellent fullback.
Not sure about being excellent. But I don't think he is anything like as bad as some are saying.
And he is plenty good enough for us as long as he is playing well. That is up to him and RR to get the best out of him.

Smores

Come on folk it's obviously bullshit.

You can tell because they've done the usual talk sport tactic of making it a disagreeable argument. Just Maguire and AWB and no one cares, throw in Shaw and oh look controversy and debate.

The press are writing a lot of bollocks these days probably as they don't feel the need to play nice towards an interim.