A discussion about Paul Ince

R'ed'Devil

Went to school with my dad in London. Along with his cousin Nigel Benn. My dad told me a story about how close he was to Ince at school: they were good friends. One day, my dad got headbutted by an English guy for refusing to give him his lunch money. These guys followed my dad out of school and started chasing him. My dad was a fast runner and he used to run cross country. Lead these bullies on a wild chase through Valentines park, in Ilford only to stop half way through, turn around to face the bullies and out jumped Ince, Nigel Benn and a bunch of brothers with poles and sticks. Dad waved them off and walked the rest of the way home, leaving the brothers to deal with the bullies. No one picked on my dad after that.

Edit: Dad just mentioned to me that Lennox Lewis was one of the brothers that jumped out of the trees in the park that day.
Nigel Benn & Lennox Lewis? You sure did lead them bullies through the wrong park!

arthurka

His stance towards United has changed a bit..

Ince and Keano were something else.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well that’s obviously where you’re wrong. Or does supporting the club for over 30 years not count?
Then you should be ashamed of yourself, why is Mark Hughes a cnut because he managed City??

acnumber9

Mark hughes is a true United legend.
Not sure where this comment has come from but I’d be shocked if the majority in this forum agreed with you. I don’t
Each to their own. He’s shown zero warmness to United post his career here. He’s a Chelsea man.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Nah, just his general bitterness. You’re more than welcome to disagree.
Given the way he was shipped out I'm not surprised he felt a bit bitter but IMO he is a legend for those 2 goals in Rotterdam, the same way Ole is for 99

acnumber9

Given the way he was shipped out I'm not surprised he felt a bit bitter but IMO he is a legend for those 2 goals in Rotterdam, the same way Ole is for 99
He chose to leave. I didn’t say he wasn’t a legend. Just that I think he’s a bitter cnut. So is Roy Keane.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I find it kinda sad that when I think about Ince, I remember him celebrating like he'd won the lottery in front of the Kop because he thought he'd stopped us doing the treble.

So much was put into that season. With the way Becks was treated after the World Cup. With the way things had fallen apart in 1998. The way the Arsenal rivalry was just starting to really boil. The tough Champions League group and fixtures. It felt like the difficulty level on everything was well up.

And we go to Liverpool feeling like we need to win to keep pushing for the Treble. A Treble many of us didn't really think was possible at the start of the year, nevermind after Arsenal whipped is in the Charity Shield at the start of the season...

...and there's Ince. Man Utd's midfield dynamo. Lover of a bicycle kick. Hero of many a backs to the wall situation. For club and country. Scoring a goal that looks like it's f'd it for us and going beserk with the Scousers.

Never looked at him the same after that. Childish I know. Just 1999 was such a defining year and he tried to wreck it and revelled in it. Yeah he was doing his job but it was in their colours at their place. Just all wrong.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
A truly phenomenal player for us. Deservedly one of the very key players in the team that finally won the league in 93 and the best player in 94. We’ve had a couple of bystanders who have been credited by the teams success but Ince was a beast of a player.

Strelok

What's wrong with his eyes lately? He got normal eyes when he was young I think.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Indeed it is Choccy was always different
Choccy was the first United player that I ever got an autograph from. I was so nervous that I ended up stuttering like a feckwit, coupled with my "local" Fife accent which is only coherent to other locals and select pond life. He just laughed and said "don't know what you're saying kid, but you're alright".

Seems like a top bloke as far as I'm concerned.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Paul Ince was one of my favourite players as a kid. As a 15:year old, it was confusing seeing him play for Liverpool and celebrating the way he did. But I've made peace with that. Not too surprising he reacted the way he did considering how he left West Ham for us.

BarstoolProphet

Choccy was the first United player that I ever got an autograph from. I was so nervous that I ended up stuttering like a feckwit, coupled with my "local" Fife accent which is only coherent to other locals and select pond life. He just laughed and said "don't know what you're saying kid, but you're alright".

Seems like a top bloke as far as I'm concerned.
Same here. Got it on a United caps. Remember how nice he was.

GueRed

Paul Ince was one of my favourite players as a kid. As a 15:year old, it was confusing seeing him play for Liverpool and celebrating the way he did. But I've made peace with that. Not too surprising he reacted the way he did considering how he left West Ham for us.

I think Ince used to be very insecure..
When Fergie disrespected him in that documentary in front of a national TV audience that hurt him a lot...and our fans ran with it with the "charlie charlie wots the score" etc. That wound him up no end in those three games against Liverpool during the 1998/99 season :lol:

It was a bit of tit for tat, Ince went in hard on some of our players and when he celebrated the way he did at Anfield that hurt quite a few of our fans, that image stuck and still sticks for a few.

For me that's all water under the bridge. I remember the things he did at United,

He was one of my favourite players in the early 90s. He developed into a proper world class midfielder during his time at United. Part of Fergie's first great team.
Was gutted he was sold off to Inter in '95