A list of footballers worse than Ashley Young

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was awful under Fergie but tbf had some very good spells/performances under LVG and then Mourinho. The problem is over the last 2 years he's gone from dependable squad player to one of the first names on the team sheet and this coming in the twighlight of career - how on earth has that been allowed to happen? And tbf it's not just us he somehow played for England at the WC as well
That's where I am. I pity Young, despise Woodward et al for letting this happen and am despairing at Ole that he is naming him in every big game as captain. Dalot RB, DDG captain; Jones RB, Pogba captain; Romero RB, McTominay captain, anything is better than what we have at the moment.

nainaisson

I have a funny feeling Rojo will play left-back against West Ham and end up making Young look like Phillipp Lahm in his prime.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I like him but he's obviously not good enough for us and arguably never has been. I don't understand how we have picked up so many mediocre passengers over the last ten years.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
God this is a dumb thread.

He's 34 for feck sake... he's obviously on the decline, it doesn't mean he's the worst footballer ever, it just means he's getting on a bit so isn't as good anymore.

The last few games have been really bad for Young, but lets not pretend he's been awful since the beginning of time (someone in this thread has said he's played one good game for us ever... i mean for feck sake) - I mean literally last month (bar the first 20 minutes) he was really good away at PSG.... and last season he had the best player in the league that season in his back pocket for 90 minutes.

There seems to be this weird tendency on this place to rewrite histories when players start to decline (See Valencia and Rooney as recent examples)... it's pretty shameful to be honest. Is Young the greatest footballer to ever live? No, but he's obviously hasn't been a bad one, and has managed to forge out a decent career with all things considered.

Josep Dowling

Just a shocking performance by him yesterday. But surely after the second bad deadball delivery someone has to offer to take the corner.

Why isn’t Solskjaer telling him no, you’re shite at crossing give it someone else. He’ll surely Dalot could have done better. We wasted our only real opportunities last night because Young couldn’t beat the first man with a cross.

bushyboy

Not fair to blame one player, no matter how crap they are. Blame the managers/owners for keep on rewarding mediocrity.
The ideal would be to have a top player giving 100% every game. How many top players do we have? How many give 100% every game but are still not good enough to win us trophies?

Josep Dowling

You're not a united supporter.

How old are you?

Have you ever seen a liverpool side so good that it made a mockery of us.?
A liverpool side that beat every team it played against?
A liverpool side that beat the best in Europe.
Steamrollered the European cup.

You'll go about Heysel and shit but their team was fecking great and we hated them for it.
The great team of Real Madrid got backpacking by liverpool and we just went at it at Barcelona.

You're not utd fans. You never will be.
This isn’t a top trumps of who’s the better United fan by standing by the players. Young had a terrible game last night, if he had a final delivery maybe we would have got something.

As for saying we were in for a chance of winning the game tell me one save Ter Stegen had to make? He didn’t make a single save. There is a difference of being in the game and actually looking like we might get something.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Possibly one of the worst threads in the history of the United forum on the Caf and there sure have been some awful threads here over the years.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I reckon Father Dougal can deliver a better cross

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Dalot should have been right back with Lingard ahead of him.

nimic

something nice
Scout
When he eventually retires or is let go, the footballing world (including the Caf) will be full of "he was a great servant"-type posts. But Young's tenure at United correlates perfectly with the club's least succesful period in the last 30 years, and it's not a coincidence. I'm not saying he's solely responsible, but he perfectly represents the mediocrity which has almost come to be accepted. Fellaini did too, except to an even greater degree, and "everyone" was full of praise for his service when we finally got rid of him.

If we start next season with Young as first or even second choice at right back, both Woodward and Ole need to be blamed.

SSSSnake

Just 2 really bad games? He’s been thrash most of this season and his crossing is shocking. The amazing thing is you expect a winger turned fullback to be better at attacking than defending. But somehow for Young his defending is slightly better than his attacking.
Yes he had his worst game last night and had lost his head against Wolves by getting sent off. Name me the other games where he's been thrash? Lets be honest he hasn't. He's just bang average but he's now the scapegoat. Hopefully this summer we get rid anyways and by a natural right back.

SSSSnake

I've never been a big fan of Young but this thread is pathetic and shows how fickle (or dare I say it daft) fans can be.

Young has been a decent servant of the club. It's not his fault that we don't have a better RB than him which is the reason why both Jose and Ole have played him.
Completely agree. He's hardly been crap all season. He's actually been pretty solid up until the last couple games. However we do need a natural rightback and for us to push on we need better players.

matt23

There was a (very good) reason he was selected to play in that position last night over Dalot. He might have been pretty awful on the ball but how many times did Barca get down his side and expose us? Pretty much zero. Swap him with Dalot last night and we're probably out of the tie.

He's crap on the ball we all know this. The reason he was converted into a full back is because of his work rate and concentration none of which were lacking last night.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Did Valencia at his worst even put up a performance like Young had in the last two matches?
I don't think so.

TrueRed79

He's a terrible captain and even worse RB. Just another example of how far we have fallen.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's a terrible captain and even worse RB. Just another example of how far we have fallen.
Sums up the thread/our situation. He is probably the worst outfield player we have and he is the one with arm band. The second worst is the actual club captain.

Gopher Brown

He massively exceeded my expectations of him yesterday.

I expected him to be sent off before half-time, and he didn’t even get booked!

djembatheking

He`s been selected by SAF , Moyes , Van Gaal , Mourinho and now Ole but the football experts on here know best and say he has always been shit , state of this place .

sam147

Here's an easy questionnaire

Billy Blaggs said:
You're not a united supporter.

How old are you?

Have you ever seen a liverpool side so good that it made a mockery of us.?

A liverpool side that beat every team it played against?

A liverpool side that beat the best in Europe.
Steamrollered the European cup.

You'll go about Heysel and shit but their team was fecking great and we hated them for it.

The great team of Real Madrid got backpacking by liverpool

and we just went at it at Barcelona.

You're not utd fans. You never will be.

Meh
Age doesn't define who a United supporter is. Its not my fault im not senile and you are. How is Age relevant to Young being a shocking footballer?

How is seeing a Liverpool side making a mockery out of a United team relevant to Ashley Young being an absolute disgrace and one of the worst players ever to wear the shirt?

On a side note, you are a nobody. You can't decide who is and isnt a United fan. Do you want fans to accept and support players like Young just because an old fool like you saw us play with worse players.

stu_1992

In all fairness? What is the point in a thread like this? Yes he was terrible last night, and has been poor for a while. But like isn't that what the performances thread is for?

Nialinho

What is this thread seriously?! The guy has a been a great servant, with a few purple patches throughout his time here and mainly solid as a makeshift full back the last couple of years. Had a horrible game last night (and quite a few games recently) but he's 33, won't be our first choice next season and doesn't deserve this sort of disrespect considering he's a player which always gives his all for the shirt which can't be said for some. Who would you rather have as captain currently? He's been around since Fergie and is clearly a big figure in the dressing room..

Reactions: langster

tomaldinho1

Come off it. He was never a “really good footballer”... at least not here. He’s been shite since he signed.

People always talk about loyalty and passion... yeah I’d be loyal and passionate too if I was pocketing those wages. It’s not like he’s gonna have any bigger clubs coming after his services, is it? If he was to get binned off tomorrow, he’d be at Watford or Southampton. That is a fact. Same goes for the majority of this team.
Being shit since he signed is harsh but he's never been a great player that's for sure. He's was a decent utility attacker and used to be excellent on deliveries but shouldn't have been a starter then and defo shouldn't now.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Just 2 really bad games? He’s been thrash most of this season and his crossing is shocking. The amazing thing is you expect a winger turned fullback to be better at attacking than defending. But somehow for Young his defending is slightly better than his attacking.
This is what baffles me the most. Back in the day he was well known for having one basic trick to find a yard but the ability to put in a decent cross. And he's now totally inept at his one saving grace. Same happened to Tony V. It's the right back curse.

Schneckerl

Worst player ever.
Might change next week though. A few months ago it was Jones and after that Lukaku.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No one's saying we lost because of him. We're just saying he's a terrible footballer these days, which he is.
No he isn't. If he was a terrible footballer he wouldn't be starting and captaining a club as big as Manchester United. This board has their scapegoats and he is definitely one of them, while other players (De Gea in particular) get free passes...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Did you watch him?

I am proud of the display yesterday and I'm proud of most of the players. McTominay was arguably our best player.

However, Young was utter trash. Did he deliver one successful cross?
As far as I remember, there was only one successful cross all day, and that was the one Dalot botched. But where is the hate on the other players? Why is our captain the one who is always centred out? Where is the De Gea post? He's been absolutley shite and looks like he's afraid to get tough with balls in his area. First he turns his back on Smallings own goal last week, and then hides behind his post on Shaws OG yesterday? Best keeper in the world? Not even close...

ErranMorad

I'm sorry, but some of us live in the real world.
Keep the champagne on ice. I am on the way to celebrate a 1-0 defeat at home in a game where we failed to register a shot on target.

It's a club that's been mismanaged for years and 1 that was very much a mid table club at the end of November. A wee bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss here, we are a fair way off being able to really compete at this level at this particual time, so yes, it was a decent performance from the lads last night.
It was a decent performance from the midfield and a couple of player in the defense. The attack and rest of the players were utter gash. Any performance where we fail to trouble their goal keeper even once is not decent. On a football field you need everything to work - the defense, the midfield & the attack.

FerociousCorgis

He`s been selected by SAF , Moyes , Van Gaal , Mourinho and now Ole but the football experts on here know best and say he has always been shit , state of this place .
hmm weird you mentioned so many managers post SAF...Almost like they have all been pretty unsuccessful...