A list of footballers worse than Ashley Young

MisterLupus

Denouncing a player who's performances you still rely on is - besides being a dick move - also a stupid one. If you want to support your team you have to promote it's players too - keeping them motivated to give it their all for as long as they're playing an active role. You don't do that by hurling feces at them. Who would want to perform before a crowd who makes them feel worthless?

In fact I'd say it's also wise to make sure they're still feeling that appreciation even after having left the club as this sends a positive signal to whomever's still relevant (and who might still be friends with the discarded ones) negating the rather discouraging fear a player might nourish that "once I'm past it they'll just toss me aside like garbage so what the point?"

Yeah they make a lot of money and there's some truth to the claim that this should be motivation enough - but with the exception of sociopaths people also needs to feel appreciated. Ashley Young has been brilliant for us more times than I can remember over the years he's been here - whomever supports threads like this however is clueless as to what being a good supporter means.

An inspiring fanbase can push that extra 5-10% out of any lineup - a bad one risks doing the opposite. Learn your part and play it before criticising anyone else - and as a supporter your part is to promote your team not degrade it (in case that wasn't obvious).

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

I must admit I was tad embarrassed to see the captain of the great Barcelona, Messi, standing next to the captain of the great Manchester United, Ashley fecking Young.
I bet other clubs look at us the same way we look at AC Milan.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Who will be our new scapegoat after Smashley gets replaced in the summer?

McTominay? Nope, he's the new Fletch.

Lindelof? Nope, he's the new Baresi.

Fat Shaw? Nope, he's the new Rooney.

Valencia? Nope, he has ceased to exist.

Running out of names fast here, I guess we'll just have to make our way through an entire season of football without one.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
They're fecking pathetic mate.

Oh we didn't win. Who's to blame.
The issue isn't that we didn't win yesterday.
The issue is that we haven't won a league title in a long time. And if you want to look at short termism, we have lost 4 our last 5 games (I think).
Whichever way you look at it, we are on a downward trend and barely considered a top 4 club.

By some miracle, Jose got us 2nd last season and when Woodward saw that, he made sure that by penny pinching we wouldn't scale those heights again. Had he backed the manager in the Summer, I am positive we'd have been top 3 at least, if not title contenders. We'd have been boring to watch, but our points total would be up there.

TBF, I don't blame Young or even Solkjaer. I blame the board for re-signing has been players clearly not good enough to play for MUFC or any top club and not bringing in players, good enough to go straight into the first team.
We need heavy investment and without this, we are going to either going to finish around 4th place every season or go lower.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What? I think you've lost your meds pal. What are you even trying to say?
I think he is trying to say that he has seen MUFC be really shit, decades ago. And based on this, if we become really shit (ie. relegated), it won't be that bad, because it happened before.
As you said, he is either drunk or he needs to take his medication.

wolvored

The issue isn't that we didn't win yesterday.
The issue is that we haven't won a league title in a long time. And if you want to look at short termism, we have lost 4 our last 5 games (I think).
Whichever way you look at it, we are on a downward trend and barely considered a top 4 club.

By some miracle, Jose got us 2nd last season and when Woodward saw that, he made sure that by penny pinching we wouldn't scale those heights again. Had he backed the manager in the Summer, I am positive we'd have been top 3 at least, if not title contenders. We'd have been boring to watch, but our points total would be up there.

TBF, I don't blame Young or even Solkjaer. I blame the board for re-signing has been players clearly not good enough to play for MUFC or any top club and not bringing in players, good enough to go straight into the first team.
We need heavy investment and without this, we are going to either going to finish around 4th place every season or go lower.
This. A lot of players clearly not good enough on performance and/or being injury prone being given new contracts. For example what other club would give Jones a 5 year contract after knowing what the last 7 years have brought.

kps88

Did Valencia at his worst even put up a performance like Young had in the last two matches?
I don't think so.
Valencia against Young Boys at home and away to Valencia this season was much worse. Away to Valencia in particular was shocking. Maybe people have forgotten but that was one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen and I'm sure his performance thread will reflect this.

Young is bad but can at least still run around and put in a shift. Valencia at his worst offered nothing on the ball but also couldn't get around the pitch as his legs had gone. There's a reason Young became first choice ahead of Rojo, Darmian and Valencia. We've a real talent in getting stuck with terrible fullbacks.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

This isn't like the Fellaini sitaution where we inexplicably had Herrera and Pogba sat on the bench. Young is playing every week because of the club's lack of investment in that area. With him and Shaw banned on Saturday we're likely to be playing either Darmian or Rojo in one of the vacant full back slots.

For that reason, and the fact that he's usually one of the first to go over to the away fans to thank them for their support (which I'm a sucker for), I feel uncomfortable badmouthing him in the manner that a lot of people are doing.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What’s so sad is how a player like this sort of sums up our past 5 years.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He needs to do a Neville, realise he's past it and call it a day. For the good of the club.

beedoubleyou

This is the kind of cnuty post which makes you want to leave this place.

He's 33, he was a left winger who's playing at right back.

The squad clearly needs improvement.

He wants to win the match more than you do.

Do one.

City have a got a shitload of fullbacks.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In our team, Valencia but it's unfair on both really. They've been excellent servants for the club and are now in decline due to their age. We shouldn't have been in this position as despite spending money on Dalot in the summer, it was quite obvious a kid with 6 senior experiences wasn't going to be reliable enough to replace them.

It's worse that Rojo and Darmian are still on the books. Just a lot of deadwood all round.

Last edited:

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Denouncing a player who's performances you still rely on is - besides being a dick move - also a stupid one. If you want to support your team you have to promote it's players too - keeping them motivated to give it their all for as long as they're playing an active role. You don't do that by hurling feces at them. Who would want to perform before a crowd who makes them feel worthless?

In fact I'd say it's also wise to make sure they're still feeling that appreciation even after having left the club as this sends a positive signal to whomever's still relevant (and who might still be friends with the discarded ones) negating the rather discouraging fear a player might nourish that "once I'm past it they'll just toss me aside like garbage so what the point?"

Yeah they make a lot of money and there's some truth to the claim that this should be motivation enough - but with the exception of sociopaths people also needs to feel appreciated. Ashley Young has been brilliant for us more times than I can remember over the years he's been here - whomever supports threads like this however is clueless as to what being a good supporter means.

An inspiring fanbase can push that extra 5-10% out of any lineup - a bad one risks doing the opposite. Learn your part and play it before criticising anyone else - and as a supporter your part is to promote your team not degrade it (in case that wasn't obvious).
Well said, mate. Critique is fine, but on Redcafe that is a foreign word.. here we rather opt for face-spitting. That said, it is time for Young to give way for someone else.

UnRational

As far as I remember, there was only one successful cross all day, and that was the one Dalot botched. But where is the hate on the other players? Why is our captain the one who is always centred out? Where is the De Gea post? He's been absolutley shite and looks like he's afraid to get tough with balls in his area. First he turns his back on Smallings own goal last week, and then hides behind his post on Shaws OG yesterday? Best keeper in the world? Not even close...
Spot on.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I remember being so deflated that after being humiliated in 2011 against Barça, our response was to buy Ashley Young.

But despite his limitations he's been a good servant and a professional.

He's obviously past it now so we either need to seriously trust Dalot and run with him from now on or buy someone in summer (Wan-Bissaka please) and let Young go or be a last resort backup like Valencia has been this year.

Schmeichel=God

I hope the Newbie received a like for this.

:lol:

I bet other clubs look at us the same way we look at AC Milan.
This. We are really fallen and sort of staggering along. We absolutely need to play our cards right this summer.

Luke1995

Anything Fellaini does on a football pitch Ashley Young does better.

Marzo

He has been a good servant to the club, have some respect for ffs, he may be dire now, but this thread as a long time Manchester United fan is cringe.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
No matter how you feel about youngs commmitment and loyalty its embarresing that hes the captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world. From robson to cantona to keane to giggs and neville. To young a left winger turned right back.

Mal donaghy

Err answer to the thread title, cant think of a footballer worse, but the only person I could think of who is probably worse than Ashley young is , errrr probably heather McCartney or the late Stephen hawking (both dead and alive)

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
A lot of teenage rants in here now.

I do think finding a new rightback is overdue myself and that Young has had his best years, but come on!! To talk about and treat a long serving captain of your team like this? Support him instead and ask for new players to replace a good player who is over the top but has served well.

Steerpike

A lot of teenage rants in here now.

I do think finding a new rightback is overdue myself and that Young has had his best years, but come on!! To talk about and treat a long serving captain of your team like this? Support him instead and ask for new players to replace a good player who is over the top but has served well.
Well said! The vitriol directed at Asley Young is unjustified and well over the top (teenage rants, indeed).

Young has actually performed OK in the defensive part of his game, and is clearly trusted by the manager above the other options for right back.

The constructive part of his game has not been good enough lately, and was particularly poor on Wednesday, which is a bit of a surprise given his background as a winger. Full backs are seen as important attacking players nowadays, so there is a clear need for a replacement who can perform well both defensively and offensively.

Having Ashley Young as defensive cover in either full back role for next season seems an eminently sensible move, but for sure we need to be finding someone else to be the regular starter at right back.

Untd55

Young is not good enough anymore, but anyone saying he has never been a good player is talking crap.

At one point over a five-year period in the Premier League, he was second only to Fabregas in assists.

His best position was through the middle for Aston Villa, but we signed him and never played him there.

He did a decent job as a left back for a few seasons, but it is not his fault he was put in that position. The other issue now is he is playing on the right; Young was always more effective on the left if you're going to play him on the wing.