A question for American sports viewers

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Are the NFL/NBA/MLB etc as spectacular as football can be? Do you experience the same adrenaline and excitement?

Genuinely curious.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You didn't mention the NHL but hockey can be the best experience in sports imho. If it's a rough and good game I've equated it to be inside a Roman colloseum. People screaming for blood etc. Good times.

Basketball can be good but is much more exciting in college imho.

sport2793

I watch the NFL and NBA as intently as I watch football so yes. The balance of teams in the NFL is unmatched in any other sporting league.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Are the NFL/NBA/MLB etc as spectacular as football can be? Do you experience the same adrenaline and excitement?

Genuinely curious.
Its rarely as good as European footy imo. For instance, its next to impossible to top the two CL finals we won, or the last minute Owen winner against City, Macheda v Villa etc etc.. I'll bet most Pool and Spurs fans who watch US sports won't ever feel the same levels of exhilaration as they have over the past 24 hours.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I watch the NFL and NBA as intently as I watch football so yes. The balance of teams in the NFL is unmatched in any other sporting league.
So has the NFL had any moments in recent years that were as dramatic as what we've witnessed yesterday&today?

sport2793

So has the NFL had any moments in recent years that were as dramatic as what we've witnessed yesterday&today?
Sure, the best example was the Patriots Seahawks super bowl where the Seahawks turned the ball over on the 1 yard line with 20 seconds left in the game. That was insane and I'm sure that Seahawks fans to this day have nightmares about the game.

sport2793

Also college football has had moments like that with Texas coming back against USC in the Rose Bowl, the NBA with Cavs coming back from 3-1 against Warriors, MLB with Red Sox coming back from 3 games down against the Yankees. I would actually say it's rarer to see comeback moments in european football where it's usually the same few teams winning all the trophies.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
NFL is easily the most entertaining league in the world . NBA playoffs are absolutely incredible as well and the regular season is good fun . I started watching American football 4-5 years back and now it's not even a contest for me between soccer and American football . The timings are perfect for NFL if you live in the UK and it is so easy to find a paid or unpaid stream . All highlights from the last zillion years are on YouTube in HD and there is an insane amount of content available. NFL is a sport that people find hard to get into because of the breaks but I really think that if you watch for a short while you stop caring about the breaks because of how good it is . The only thing I hate is that off season is 6 months

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Its rarely as good as European footy imo. For instance, its next to impossible to top the two CL finals we won, or the last minute Owen winner against City, Macheda v Villa etc etc.. I'll bet most Pool and Spurs fans who watch US sports won't ever feel the same levels of exhilaration as they have over the past 24 hours.
Not really, you feel that because for most of us having seen football for years and years it feels like the first sport . It's the same for how an American who grew up say supporting the lions and now also supports arsenal would find much more joy in lions winning the SB than in Arsenal winning the Cl

P.S- neither happening anytime soon Eboue

Tarrou

NFL has so many iconic moments, its the only thing that comes close IMO

liamp

NFL has so many iconic moments, its the only thing that comes close IMO
Surprising coming from a guy based in Toronto. OT playoff hockey is about as nerve-wracking as any situation in sport IMO. Same could be said for last 2 minutes of playoff basketball games.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
NBA and NHL playoffs often are even more exhilarating and exciting than football. Hockey also has that similar quality of a single moment or a few minutes turning a game on its head. Plus sudden death overtime is incredible

NBA is the sport with the highest gradient of Holy Shit moments, and games that come to the wire are unmatched in any sport for me. It's also the most individualistic of sports, the one where iconic moments are most likely to be tied to stars. I mean

NFL is good again now, but it's just totally different. For me at least, it doesn't compare to the others.

NBA playoffs = NHL playoffs = CL football > NFL

Revan

Assumptionman
I love watching NBA. If most games weren't that late at night (in Europe) undoubtedly I would have watched much more basketball compared to football.

Nothing beats the football drama in UCL/WC though.

We need an rvn

Baseball is anti-excitement
agreed, similar to cricket. There might be the odd match that the base is loaded at the bottom of the 9th and they need a homerun to win, but that's like once in a few seasons that this would ever happen.

To have two matches like we've had over the last two days, yet alone that city match with the Kompany thing, it's football at it's best.

dove

Yes. I watch basketball a lot and it can definitely be "as spectacular as football can be", probably even more. To be fair most of football matches are quite boring, many teams play negative football with a few exceptions like Liverpool, Ajax and City.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Genuinely curious.
Literally every sports fan of any sport in the world thinks theres is the best.

Every sport has these comebacks. Basketball, cricket. Football etc. This is why it kinda bothers me when people say "this is why we love football"

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
agreed, similar to cricket. There might be the odd match that the base is loaded at the bottom of the 9th and they need a homerun to win, but that's like once in a few seasons that this would ever happen.

To have two matches like we've had over the last two days, yet alone that city match with the Kompany thing, it's football at it's best.
There are more nail biting finishes and "impossible" comebacks in cricket than football.

Skills

Snitch
Yes it does. It's also worth noting the rules of American sports help artificially create drama and tension at the end of games. See fourth quarter foul rules in the NBA and TOs.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
NFL is easily the most entertaining league in the world . NBA playoffs are absolutely incredible as well and the regular season is good fun . I started watching American football 4-5 years back and now it's not even a contest for me between soccer and American football . The timings are perfect for NFL if you live in the UK and it is so easy to find a paid or unpaid stream . All highlights from the last zillion years are on YouTube in HD and there is an insane amount of content available. NFL is a sport that people find hard to get into because of the breaks but I really think that if you watch for a short while you stop caring about the breaks because of how good it is . The only thing I hate is that off season is 6 months
Or just watch RedZone, aka the best sport show ever.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
NFL is fun but the fans are the worst. NBA is better once the back-end of the season comes around.