A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Chairman Steve

Pretty sure we’ve been keeping tabs on McDermott for a while.

Him and Mitchell would make a good football operations hierarchy at the club, with Pochettino running the first team... feck knows if we’re going to get both McDermott and Pochettino. Kudos to Ed if he makes Levy do that, even if Spurs get very handsomely paid for it and Levy will rightly make it difficult for us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pretty sure we’ve been keeping tabs on McDermott for a while.

Him and Mitchell would make a good football operations hierarchy at the club, with Pochettino running the first team... feck knows if we’re going to get both McDermott and Pochettino. Kudos to Ed if he makes Levy do that, even if Spurs get very handsomely paid for it and Levy will rightly make it difficult for us.
He turned us down in january 2016 according to the times. If we're going back for him then something has changed. Poch, McDermott and Mitchell worked together at Spurs, so could potentially be a interesting set up.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think the press officer was completely spot on in his reaction tbh.

Whether Poch will be moving in the summer or not, we still have a season to play out. The media already asked Poch about the job and he answered in the press conference. People can take from their answer as they wish.

They will speculate almost non stop about it in the media, that is their business and we can't do anything to stop that. However, we cannot and will not have every single press conference, before and after every single match, be dominated by questions about whether he will go to Man Utd, as the media are going to do. We have our own season to finish still, still in 4 competitions and it is disrespectful to be constantly asking the manager about his intentions in the summer pre and post match for 5 months and a less amenable manager than Poch (ie Fergie, Mourinho, LVG) would react in a similar way to the press officer imo.

Ferguson made a habit of banning reporters and papers from his press conferences if they got out of line and I am fully behind a similar move if this persists.

This will obviously run on and the media will obviously generally create a lot of click bait articles on it. Man Utd are the biggest club in the country, with the most fans and amongst the most fans in the world. It is a money spinner.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As for whether Poch will move or not, that is a difficult matter. I find the arrogance of some Man Utd fans, who talk as if Poch has already accepted the job funny but not altogether that surprising. In a similar vein, I do not agree with Spurs fans who say with 100% certainty that he will be staying. We just don't know.

The reality is that the media reports are almost certainly 100% bs if they reference what Levy or Poch are thinking. Levy is never going to be leaking his personal thoughts to some two bit reporter and Poch firstly does not have an agent and secondly is not and has never been the kind of manager to play out his battles via carefully placed stories in the media.

I'm sure Poch will be tempted. Man Utd is a huge club and he'll have huge resources. Reputation wise, at least initially, he will feel he has reached the top in terms of the clubs he can manage.

On the flip side, he has built something great at Spurs and he has a huge level of control here. It would take ages to enforce his policy at Man Utd and, unlike at Spurs, where Levy let Poch get rid of some troublesome players at the beginning (and backed him when he benched Toby for almost all of last season), I can't imagine Woodward being too happy if Poch decides he doesn't like Pogba's attitude for instance and wants him gone. He'll be under new levels of scrutiny and he'll see a club that, for all its fans platitudes about being a patient club, has fired its last 3 managers (in 5 seasons) and seen all three of their reputations significantly worse than when they started the job. And I think Poch seems genuinely happy here at Spurs.

So we'll see. I obviously hope he stays and builds a dynasty here. But if he goes, I'll wish him all the best for what he's done with us, even if it will be a bit galling to see him on the touchline of another English club.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He turned us down in january 2016 according to the times. If we're going back for him then something has changed. Poch, McDermott and Mitchell worked together at Spurs, so could potentially be a interesting set up.
Poch forced Mitchell out if roumours be correct, not saying they didn’t get on, but Poch sees himself as a manager not just a head coach. If you want Poch you need to give him the run of the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Poch forced Mitchell out if roumours be correct, not saying they didn’t get on, but Poch sees himself as a manager not just a head coach. If you want Poch you need to give him the run of the club.
Poch forced Mitchell out? Source please??

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Poch forced Mitchell out? Source please??
I knew this was coming, Poch signed for us as a head coach and when new contracts came up he pushed for his title to be changed to MANAGER, and he got it. Mitchell was never out director of football, he was basically our head scout, but for what ever reason he left and Poch’s influence grew, he now has basically totally control.

So basically Michell left and Poch stayed growing in stature, he even had some designing control over the new stadium.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mitchell had worked closely and productively with Pochettino at Southampton and the reasons for his decision to leave Tottenham are not linked to any breakdown with the Argentinian.

He had simply had enough at White Hart Lane and the frustrations were so great and the job satisfaction so little that he chose to inform the board of his desire to quit.

It has been suggested that Mitchell struggled to work with the chairman, Daniel Levy, the notoriously hard-line negotiator, who has long taken a hands-on role in player recruitment.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-of-recruitment-paul-mitchell-quits-nightmare
@InLevyITrust

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mauricio Pochettino revealed for the first time this afternoon that he is “very disappointed” by his friend Paul Mitchell’s decision to leave Tottenham Hotspur, and said that he tried to persuade him to stay
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...pointment-at-mitchell-departure-a7185411.html
@InLevyITrust
What are you saying? It’s exactly what I said, Poch didn’t wanna work under anyone but Levy, Mitchell
didn’t like it and left, what’s your point?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You said Poch forced Mitchell out, when the Guardian and Independent say otherwise.. Where did you get that 'Poch forced Mitchell out'?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You said Poch forced Mitchell out, when the Guardian and Independent say otherwise.. Where did you get that 'Poch forced Mitchell out'?
Poch wanted full control, he moved from head coach to manager... manager meaning I.E. full control of the football
Club. If you seriously take the media as a be all, why don’t you believe the stories that show the current state of United. If Poch loved Mitchell so much why would he stay in post? Mitchell left 2 years ago. it’s time the same situation Baldini found himself in.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Any who I think il give this thread a wide birth till anything more concrete comes out because it’s pretty pointless. I was simply trying to provide information from our side, a side that have known Poch for 6 years. Peace.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Poch wanted full control, he moved from head coach to manager... manager meaning I.E. full control of the football
Club. If you seriously take the media as a be all, why don’t you believe the stories that show the current state of United. If Poch loved Mitchell so much why would he stay in post?
Let's stay on topic..

So either Poch forced him out or he tried to persuade him to stay according to the Guardian, Independent etc. I know what my moneys on..

I have found nothing supporting your claim, that Poch had a hand in Mitchell's departure. All I've read is, your manager to this day has a good relationship with Mitchell.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Let's stay on topic..

So either Poch forced him out or he tried to persuade him to stay according to the Guardian, Independent etc. I know what my moneys on..

I have found nothing supporting your claim, that Poch had a hand in Mitchell's departure. All I've read is, your manager to this day has a good relationship with Mitchell.
Fair enough.

POF

This is what Pochettino said today about Spurs:

"I think there's still massive work to do. ... I think we're changing a lot and we're going to change, if we have time to do that. ... We're doing fantastically but if we don't sign in January people say we're going to struggle. It's all negative, rather than saying, 'If Tottenham don't sign anyone it's because they believe that they're going to, or that they have the tools to, perform well and maybe challenge for the title. The doubt is always negative, never positive. ... The answer is to win games. In the end, the consequence is going to be to win trophies, to be competitive, always to be proud about your team, about your players."

Doesn't sound to me like he intends to jump ship.
What did he mean by that? Does he mean if he has time before he moves to United in the summer?

Bearded One

All hail the United faithful!
I was so happy to see the back of Jose who I love but admit that he was oncw a super tactician but didn't adapt as the game moved on a little similar to Benitez. I wish him all the best.

Now the future is upon us and we must not take it lightly as we have had 3 failed attempts at addressing the issue.

Poch is the man for the job. I have said this countless times before and will still do so. We must go balls deep for a man who knows the league in and out, tactically adept, plays good football, always there or thereabout even when only afforded little transfer kitty.

No beating around the bush let us offer Poch an offer he cannot refuse. No point being thw biggest club in the world if we cannot flex our financial muscles.

Mindhunter

What did he mean by that? Does he mean if he has time before he moves to United in the summer?
Probably referring to how early Spurs do their business (if at all). He is not going to speak publicly on it for sure. If I was him, I would tell my agent to tell MUFC to work out a deal with Levy if they can and he is interested to go only of Spurs agree to relive him of his contract.

He is definitely not going to force himself out. He just isn't the type.

POF

Probably referring to how early Spurs do their business (if at all). He is not going to speak publicly on it for sure. If I was him, I would tell my agent to tell MUFC to work out a deal with Levy if they can and he is interested to go only of Spurs agree to relive him of his contract.

He is definitely not going to force himself out. He just isn't the type.
It just seemed a really odd comment, especially in an interview quoted to show his commitment to a long term future at Spurs.

What would stop him having time to make the changes?

C'est Moi Cantona

This is what Pochettino said today about Spurs:

"I think there's still massive work to do. ... I think we're changing a lot and we're going to change, if we have time to do that. ... We're doing fantastically but if we don't sign in January people say we're going to struggle. It's all negative, rather than saying, 'If Tottenham don't sign anyone it's because they believe that they're going to, or that they have the tools to, perform well and maybe challenge for the title. The doubt is always negative, never positive. ... The answer is to win games. In the end, the consequence is going to be to win trophies, to be competitive, always to be proud about your team, about your players."

Doesn't sound to me like he intends to jump ship.
I wouldn't read too deeply into what he says, you'll drive yourself mad, unless he catorgorically comes out and says he will not take the United job if it was offered to him, which there nothing stopping him doing, then it's up in the air.

Personally I think you're right and he'll stay with you guys, but managers who are about to be sacked, take other jobs, etc, always talk like they're not leaving.

raggy

Supports
Spurs
I wouldn't read too deeply into what he says, you'll drive yourself mad, unless he catorgorically comes out and says he will not take the United job if it was offered to him, which there nothing stopping him doing, then it's up in the air.

Personally I think you're right and he'll stay with you guys, but managers who are about to be sacked, take other jobs, etc, always talk like they're not leaving.
He refuses to respond to rumours. He did the same when there were rumours about PSG and Real Madrid. The only rumour he has flat ruled out is Barcelona and that was for other reasons.

Even if he intends to stay at Tottenham for 5 more years he would refuse to answer questions on the rumours.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Story to the previous tweet.
Would be funny just to see how Glaston would spin it as the right move for Spurs and one they will have pushed for.

Chairman Steve

Personally I’ve wanted Jardim in, as I always viewed that Poch would be way too hard to obtain and expensive mainly due to Levy really not liking us after the Berba and Fryers sagas, let alone Spurs won’t sell to a direct league rival... not to mention Real are in disarray and looking for a new manager to build a new team and Spurs would view them as the lesser of two evils if they had to pick, much like the Bale sale allegedly... and possibly that Poch as a Hispanic man would be more drawn to one of the two most prestigious Hispanic clubs and to hell with cold, dark and wet Manchester.

But no one really knows what’s happening. Ed could offer Poch a completely fresh new slate at Utd and get Mitchell and McDermott in, as well as much more capital to play with. Poch could be just using this Utd buzz as a way to get more capital from Levy. Utd could be using Poch buzz as a cover for who they’re really going after.

Utd have supposedly said that a DoF like figure will join sometime between now and the rest of the season. It’ll be interesting to see who it’ll be and may give a strong hint on who the next manager would be... Mitchell joining would probably give credence to Poch rumours. McDermott joining directly from Spurs would be even stronger credence but I can’t see that happening during the season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'd guess it's a reference to the perennial fear of managers, namely being sacked. After all, the average tenure of a Prem manager is something like 2.5 years I believe.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Here's a new quote from Poch:

"We are going to have one of the best facilities in the world, the training ground with the new stadium," he told Sky Sports. "On the football side, all that we are building here will be in the same level. When you add and mix it all together it is going to be the time to win titles and deliver what the people expect (my emphasis).

"We still have not won a trophy, but I think we have won more than that, because after four-and-a-half-years' work together, to have a contract for another four-and-a-half years is a massive achievement in the current climate. To create that is a massive achievement for us."

Once again, it doesn't sound like a manager who wants to leave. It does sound like a manager who is very invested in the project at Spurs.

POF

Here's a new quote from Poch:

"We are going to have one of the best facilities in the world, the training ground with the new stadium," he told Sky Sports. "On the football side, all that we are building here will be in the same level. When you add and mix it all together it is going to be the time to win titles and deliver what the people expect (my emphasis).

"We still have not won a trophy, but I think we have won more than that, because after four-and-a-half-years' work together, to have a contract for another four-and-a-half years is a massive achievement in the current climate. To create that is a massive achievement for us."

Once again, it doesn't sound like a manager who wants to leave. It does sound like a manager who is very invested in the project at Spurs.
He undoubtedly is extremely committed to it. He's one of the main reasons for the success of the club and should be incredibly proud of what he has achieved. With no summer investment, to be competing at the level he is shows just what he is - one of the best managers in the league (personally, I think he is the best).

The key question is how long will the stadium impact major investment in the team, in particular with the major cost overruns. How much longer can he continue to work miracles? Does he get frustrated watching the budgets of the bigger clubs wondering what he could do on a level playing field?

Personally, I don't think he will join United. He doesn't seem to hold the club with any amount of reverence. I'd expect him to stay at Spurs until Real or PSG come calling. But I do think United will have a red hot go at poaching him and you never know.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He undoubtedly is extremely committed to it. He's one of the main reasons for the success of the club and should be incredibly proud of what he has achieved. With no summer investment, to be competing at the level he is shows just what he is - one of the best managers in the league (personally, I think he is the best).

The key question is how long will the stadium impact major investment in the team, in particular with the major cost overruns. How much longer can he continue to work miracles? Does he get frustrated watching the budgets of the bigger clubs wondering what he could do on a level playing field?

Personally, I don't think he will join United. He doesn't seem to hold the club with any amount of reverence. I'd expect him to stay at Spurs until Real or PSG come calling. But I do think United will have a red hot go at poaching him and you never know.
The problem with this for United is two-fold if (I would say when) it doesn't succeed: 1) Any other manager that do you end up appointing will know that they are only 2nd choice; and 2) other good managers that you could have appointed might slip through your fingers and go elsewhere whilst you hang on for Poch.

I think the best strategy for United is to accept that Poch is unavailable and not waste your time, and instead to focus all your efforts elsewhere. Personally I think you should go for root-and-branch reform, appoint Eddie Howe and give him total authority over the squad.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Eric's Seagull

The problem with this for United is two-fold if (I would say when) it doesn't succeed: 1) Any other manager that do you end up appointing will know that they are only 2nd choice; and 2) other good managers that you could have appointed might slip through your fingers and go elsewhere whilst you hang on for Poch.

I think the best strategy for United is to accept that Poch is unavailable and not waste your time, and instead to focus all your efforts elsewhere.
Agree with a lot of your quote would like nothing less than us spending a stupid amount of time on a manever that there is a Good chance is not going to come. I think our time would be better going for someone like Jardim before someone else does and we miss a chance again

Last edited:

POF

I think the best strategy for United is to accept that Poch is unavailable and not waste your time, and instead to focus all your efforts elsewhere. Personally I think you should go for root-and-branch reform, appoint Eddie Howe and give him total authority over the squad.
That hardly matters. Pochettino was second choice behind Louis Van Gaal at Spurs. Talk about a lucky break!!!

People say Levy hates United. He should be Ed's best mate after that bullet he helped him dodge.

Eric's Seagull

Very important fully trusted by Levy and deals with a lot of the youth and was promoted by Poch.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/16/tottenham-coach-john-mcdermott-mauricio-pochettino

Good story here, the FA, yourselves and Liverpool have all wanted him at some point. He basically makes sure all the youth squads are playing in the way the manager wants.
Thanks good read. An interesting thing is that Poch trusted him with everythong below 21 level so seems shoeshow muchly he regarded opinions. Which can only be a positive.

cyberman

He doesn't need to hold any reverence for us to realise how massive this opportunity is though.
I don't know if he'll leave but with Bayern, Madrid and Utd all looking for managers this summer, he will be extremely stupid not to consider it.
What's his ambitions like? Does he enjoy the less net spend so top 4 is a fantastic achievement trophy every year? How long term is this Spurs project before he can realistically challenge for the title?
There's also a chance that the jobs at top clubs could be tied up for the next 2/3 years.
Fair play if he stays but it screams comfort level to me.

acnumber9

Pochettino was at best, second choice for Spurs. It didn’t seem to make too much difference.

Eric's Seagull

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He doesn't need to hold any reverence for us to realise how massive this opportunity is though.
I don't know if he'll leave but with Bayern, Madrid and Utd all looking for managers this summer, he will be extremely stupid not to consider it.
What's his ambitions like? Does he enjoy the less net spend so top 4 is a fantastic achievement trophy every year? How long term is this Spurs project before he can realistically challenge for the title?
There's also a chance that the jobs at top clubs could be tied up for the next 2/3 years.
Fair play if he stays but it screams comfort level to me.
Poch is only 46, so why should he care about other jobs not being vacant for the next 2 or 3 years?

As for "comfort level", it's actually been really tough for him to keep Spurs competitive on such a small budget. Comfort level is having hundreds of millions to spend.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Mitchell had worked closely and productively with Pochettino at Southampton and the reasons for his decision to leave Tottenham are not linked to any breakdown with the Argentinian.

He had simply had enough at White Hart Lane and the frustrations were so great and the job satisfaction so little that he chose to inform the board of his desire to quit.

It has been suggested that Mitchell struggled to work with the chairman, Daniel Levy, the notoriously hard-line negotiator, who has long taken a hands-on role in player recruitment.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-of-recruitment-paul-mitchell-quits-nightmare
@InLevyITrust
Ah yes this makes more sense.

POF

Does anybody please know a bit about Terry McDermot and how significant his role was?
I can just imagine Ed calling up Pochettino, telling him he's got the perfect behind the scenes set up after appointing Terry McDermott!!!