A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

BlueHaze

The problem with this for United is two-fold if (I would say when) it doesn't succeed: 1) Any other manager that do you end up appointing will know that they are only 2nd choice; and 2) other good managers that you could have appointed might slip through your fingers and go elsewhere whilst you hang on for Poch.

I think the best strategy for United is to accept that Poch is unavailable and not waste your time, and instead to focus all your efforts elsewhere. Personally I think you should go for root-and-branch reform, appoint Eddie Howe and give him total authority over the squad.
He is my number one choice and personally I don't think he'll end up here but stop claiming this as fact when none of us really know wether he is or not. There is always a chance he might be.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Don't see much wrong with Spurs not wanting to entertain questions about United. I also don't see why United should "find their own Pochettino"

Southampton fans probably said the same when you nabbed him. Not saying he'll come here, but it's hypocritical at the very least.

Litch

Not my choice but equally I have no realistic alternative either. I'm still a bit of a football romantic, and would love a Eddie H getting a chance but will never happen....

An Irish Red

With great respect, Spurs in relation to United is not in the same category as S'hampton in relation to Liverpool. And Levy is a tough cookie.
Spurs have won the same number of league titles as Burnley, Derby, Preston and Portsmouth; and have won less league titles than Blackburn, Huddersfield, Wolves, Newcastle and Sunderland.

The difference in status between United and Spurs is vast; regardless of whether or not you want to admit it. United are the biggest club in the country and Spurs are aren't even in the top three in their own city.

POF

Dont know of that was a joke I didnt get :confused:but I think we need as many people the scenes as possible to make it work maye
I believe John McDermott is the one United are after. Terry is the afro/tashed scouser who used to be assistant manager at Newcastle.

Boycott

Dont know of that was a joke I didnt get :confused:but I think we need as many people the scenes as possible to make it work maye
I think the joke is Terry McDermott was one of Liverpool's star players in the 70s. The guy at Spurs is John McDermott.

Olril18

Agree with a lot of your quote would like nothing less than us spending a stupid amount of time on a manever that there is a Good chance is not going to come. I think our time would be better going for someone like Jardim before someone else does and we miss a chance again
What has this Jardim of a guy done that a lot are putting him in the mix?
Also I don't want Pochettino, horribly overrated serial loser who will be exposed for what he is in United.

I prefer Zidane, get him and help him get all his transfer targets.

Last edited by a moderator:

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Spurs have won the same number of league titles as Burnley, Derby, Preston and Portsmouth; and have won less league titles than Blackburn, Huddersfield, Wolves, Newcastle and Sunderland.

The difference in status between United and Spurs is vast; regardless of whether or not you want to admit it. United are the biggest club in the country and Spurs are aren't even in the top three in their own city.
Tottenham were traditionally a cup team back when the FA Cup meant very nearly as much as the League title. All the Cup wins don't look as impressive nowadays but they meant much more when they were won.

Plus it's just such a dishonest argument. If you average out League positions for the entire history of English league football Tottenham are 5th whereas most of those teams aren't comparable at all. Spurs have underachieved in league titles but have been competing at the top of the top tier league way more than any of them.

Although I'm used to these dishonest arguments because that's all people want to do these days, belittle the club.

witchtrials

I was baffled by the overwhelming clamour for Mourinho two seasons ago, and I'm a bit perplexed about the unanimity around Pochettino now. Seems a bit like people telling themselves for the sake of their own sanity that the person being touted as most likely must be the best guy for the job.

I've got nothing against Pochettino but my gut feeling is that he's someone who would make us very competitive for top four but not more than that. I don't see him as someone who is going to get us ahead of the competition, though he would probably pull us back a bit closer. Maybe that's just a realistic ambition given our current circumstances and I am asking too much, but having seen the improvements at Liverpool under Klopp I would sooner see us take a chance on someone who seems like they are at the cutting edge, tactically. I'm not convinced that that person is Pochettino.

Eric's Seagull

Don't see much wrong with Spurs not wanting to entertain questions about United. I also don't see why United should "find their own Pochettino"

Southampton fans probably said the same when you nabbed him. Not saying he'll come here, but it's hypocritical at the very least.
I think every team feels as a similar sort of feeling to a get a certain degree e.g. gets in inknown/tune.wantedmanager haddoes the business then someone bigger devices we'll take a bit of that. Thanks for showing us how good a manager they are.

Eric's Seagull

What has this Jardim of a guy done that a lot are putting him in the mix?
Also I don't want Pochettino, horribly overrated serial loser who will be exposed for what he is in United.

I prefer Zidane, get him and help him get all his transfer targets.
Here are articles I re

ad about him which gives good analalysishttps://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/training/leonardo-jardims-management-masterclass

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/19/tactical-philosophy-leonardo-jardim/.

Hope you find then interesting mate.

Also you may like this https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eh5yRs76Ws&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiTp9qGuLPfAhXtQRUIHQHSBwcQtwIwAXoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0CqIwKRsSmgkUrKw_Rg3Hw

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Can’t say I blame the spurs fans for getting a bit fecked off in this thread, in fact I think most are very balanced in their posting.

It would be a hammer blow if they lost Poch. He’s clearly loved by the players, I’m sure many of them would consider their futures if he upped and left.

2 man midfield

I think every team feels as a similar sort of feeling to a get a certain degree e.g. gets in inknown/tune.wantedmanager haddoes the business then someone bigger devices we'll take a bit of that. Thanks for showing us how good a manager they are.
If anything Southampton should be feeling that though, not Spurs. They took a chance on an unknown manager (by English standards anyway) who'd just been sacked by Espanyol after leaving them in last place in La Liga. Then Spurs nicked him when they saw how good a job he'd done at Southampton, and now get funny about it being done to them.

Eric's Seagull

If anything Southampton should be feeling that though, not Spurs. They took a chance on an unknown manager (by English standards anyway) who'd just been sacked by Espanyol after leaving them in last place in La Liga. Then Spurs nicked him when they saw how good a job he'd done at Southampton, and now get funny about it being done to them.
I agree on that one mate they must feel terrible. They built his the man back up when he must have been at one of the lowest points on his career.

To be sacked by the club you spent the majority of your playing career at whilst at the bottom of the league, his confidence must have been shattered.

It was a big gamble to take and luckily they had the balls to try it and it worked for them

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

None of this changes the truth of what I posted, namely that Spurs in relation to United is not in the same category as S'hampton in relation to Liverpool. Since the Berbatov saga more than 10 years ago, United have not succeeded in poaching any player away from Spurs ... and neither will you succeed in poaching Pochettino.

The status of United is not what it used to be.

Eric's Seagull

None of this changes the truth of what I posted, namely that Spurs in relation to United is not in the same category as S'hampton in relation to Liverpool. Since the Berbatov saga more than 10 years ago, United have not succeeded in poaching any player away from Spurs. This won't change with regard to Pochettino.

The status of United is not what it used to be.
It is getting a lot harder to pick top players from a top team.
Years ago we could have gave them a financial incentive they couldn't refuse.

Nowadays it is getting extremely hard to get players off rivals as the have financially s0 much might to say no.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It is getting a lot harder to pick top players from a top team.
Years ago we could have gave them a financial incentive they couldn't refuse.

Nowadays it is gettng extremely hard to get players of rivals as the have ginonsncia lo might to day no.
True.

cyberman

Poch is only 46, so why should he care about other jobs not being vacant for the next 2 or 3 years?

As for "comfort level", it's actually been really tough for him to keep Spurs competitive on such a small budget. Comfort level is having hundreds of millions to spend.
Not with the pressure that spend brings.
Spurs could finish fifth this season, would he be under pressure from the sack? Of course not.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Do a bit of goggling and see why Poch left the Saints.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Not with the pressure that spend brings.
Spurs could finish fifth this season, would he be under pressure from the sack? Of course not.
Mourinho actually did finish 5th the season before last, but wasn't sacked, despite spending a lot more than Spurs/Pochettino, which runs a coach and horses through your argument.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Can't you just tell me if you know?
Honestly I dont wanna seem like a cnut, but I already have a couple of times. Basically the saints owner died, his daughter took over, the CEO resigned (he brought Poch there), because she didn’t have the same idea her father did. Then their best players got sold off one by one, it was well documented at the time.

Poch didn’t just jump ship, there was a lot more to it.

2 man midfield

Honestly I dont wanna seem like a cnut, but I already have a couple of times. Basically the saints owner died, his daughter took over, the CEO resigned (he brought Poch there), because she didn’t have the same idea her father did. Then their best players got sold off one by one, it was well documented at the time.

Poch didn’t just jump ship, there was a lot more to it.
Fair enough. I remember something about that now I come to think of it.

Vadim

Nearly everyone thinks he will be at Utd next season apart from Spurs fans, obviously.

Just streamed the Sunday Supplement and 2 of their 3 journos think he will be at Utd next season.

This is done.

EwanI Ted

Don’t see Poch staying if Utd, Real or teams at that level come along. Not sure there are any more rungs to climb at Spurs, their level now is pretty much their ceiling. They’re generally consistent so if all the others have bad seasons maybe they can benefit one year. But they’re averaging 80 to 85 points per season, which is 10 to 15 points less than they need and I don’t see that gap being bridged.

Only questions are when, and which country he prefers.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Don’t see Poch staying if Utd, Real or teams at that level come along. Not sure there are any more rungs to climb at Spurs, their level now is pretty much their ceiling. They’re generally consistent so if all the others have bad seasons maybe they can benefit one year. But they’re averaging 80 to 85 points per season, which is 10 to 15 points less than they need and I don’t see that gap being bridged.

Only questions are when, and which country he prefers.
United have averaged just 70 points per season since Fergie retired, which is a level below Spurs ... a gap that will only widen this season. So the case for saying that United are at a higher level in footballing terms doesn't stand up. It's living in the past to claim otherwise.

Vadim

United have averaged just 70 points per season since Fergie retired, which is a level below Spurs ... a gap that will only widen this season. So the case for saying that United are at a higher level in footballing terms doesn't stand up. It's living in the past to claim otherwise.
We could be 17th come end of season and Poch will still be ours. We’re Man Utd, you’re Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We could be 17th come end of season and Poch will still be ours. We’re Man Utd, you’re Spurs.
Dream on. As we approach the summer, the reality will start to dawn on you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its not as simple as putting him in gardening leave either. If he wants to join us, he will join us.

Spurs contract part is also wrong unless you take a severance pay from Spurs. If I resign my post and take no severance, I am free to join any club I want . Ofcourse, the legal things could be different for each contracts but typically this is what happens in a manager contract .
Not only you are correct but gardening leaves are also limited in time, it's an exceptional clause that goes against the right for employment. I would have to specifically check UK employment laws but you generally need to be well compensated and it needs to be relatively short, otherwise the clause(if it's a clause) could be voided.

Though, it's important to remember that employers can demand a compensation when an employee terminates his contract without cause.

EwanI Ted

Not taking about on the pitch results of the last few years. Talking about the size of the club and its commensurate ceiling.

Between 1999 and 2003 Deportivo finished above Barcelona four times in a row. But they were never the bigger club, and Depor could never have achieved that Barca did after that. Same is true for Spurs and United. Spurs have performed better on average in recent years, but United have the capacity to be at the apex in world football, Spurs don’t.