A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maybe it's just Spurs. They always fold under pressure, perhaps it's something that's beyond any manager?

But if he plays entertaining football, I'm all for saying feck it and hiring him. We badly need some watchable football after 4 years of shite. And our club has a winning mentality ingrained in us, so that may offset any bottling tendency Poch may bring.
Ole is giving us watchable football, is it worth binning him off and a bunch of coaches drenched in United red, just to get a different version of the same thing? If it guaranteed titles that would be one thing but Pochettino won't guarantee titles.

I don't think you can say 'its just Spurs.' People would have said the same about us until Fergie. Part of a manager's job is to change the mentality of his players. Pochettino has made Spurs competitors but not winners.

SiamDevil

How many more times of his team bottling it that people will finally hold him just a tiny bit responsible?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Don't let the freshly promoted side fool you. They're very good.
Wolves is a good side. People are just looking at the first opportunity to criticize Pochettino.

Pochettino Spurs side is still one of the only club at the moment out of 18 other teams that is giving some of the best teams in Europe in Liverpool and Manchester City a challenge for the title.

vangagal

Ole is giving us watchable football, is it worth binning him off and a bunch of coaches drenched in United red, just to get a different version of the same thing? If it guaranteed titles that would be one thing but Pochettino won't guarantee titles.

I don't think you can say 'its just Spurs.' People would have said the same about us until Fergie. Part of a manager's job is to change the mentality of his players. Pochettino has made Spurs competitors but not winners.
That is the thing that people always dont want to admit.

el3mel

You can't say the fragile mentality isn't down to the manager, doesn't make sense. He took Spurs as far as he can but doesn't seem to aspire them to content for the titles and his teams fall under the slightest pressure. This Spurs squad isn't weak per stretch either.

If his team falls miserably under any pressure I wonder what he'll do under such stressful job as United.

Stay away from him. If we want good football I'll prefer to keep Ole as @#07 said.

KennyBurner

People fail to realize that this Tottenham squad is not that good yet Pochettino is going above and beyond to make them competitive. Let's not forget they haven't spent a dime this window. Please lets refrain from calling them bottlers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How many more times of his team bottling it that people will finally hold him just a tiny bit responsible?
He wasn't able to buy a single player in the summer. His team shouldn't be in 2nd at all, not pushing closer to first from there is hardly "bottling it". They shouldn't be any closer.

Might as well accuse Wolves of "bottling it" if they fail to make it into Europe.

For me it's not that he's responsible it's that he has rarely shown the ability to affect a result when a game turns.

I go back to us beating them in the FA Cup semi: until Alexis scored they were in control, after that nothing. Worse Pochettino didn't do anything to affect the game.

What Fergie did after 91/92 Pochettino hasn't done after running Leicester close a few seasons ago. The belief still isn't there and there is little evidence Pochettino knows how to instill it.

L1nk

Still the man for the job. People are getting gassed because Ole has won 2 matches, people are just so dramatic and reactive on this forum. You see it everywhere, a player has 1 good game despite being dross all season and people are quick to say 'i told you so', a manager has been arguably taking his squad above and beyond, one loss and it's '' told you so' and that he isn't good enough. We lost under the great man, and we will lose under OGS, people need to get a grip

el3mel

He wasn't able to buy a single player in the summer. His team shouldn't be in 2nd at all, not pushing closer to first from there is hardly "bottling it". They shouldn't be any closer.

Might as well accuse Wolves of "bottling it" if they fail to make it into Europe.
So when he wins it's thanks to him and when he loses it's thanks to not buying players ?

The excuses given for rival managers here when they lose are extremely weird, Poch, Sarri and Emery get every possible excuse from United fans when they lose.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Winks is fine BUT c'mon he shouldn't be the main guy in midfield
Poch called Winks England’s Iniesta. He said he could be the perfect midfielder. Seems to be pretty happy with Winks being his main man in midfield to me.

Still the man for the job. People are getting gassed because Ole has won 2 matches, people are just so dramatic and reactive on this forum. You see it everywhere, a player has 1 good game despite being dross all season and people are quick to say 'i told you so', a manager has been arguably taking his squad above and beyond, one loss and it's '' told you so' and that he isn't good enough. We lost under the great man, and we will lose under OGS, people need to get a grip
It's not about getting gassed about what Ole's doing. Honestly what's the difference in finishing 3rd under Pochettino and 6th under Ole. At the end of the day you still win sweet F.A.

If all we want is pretty football there are plenty of coaches we could get, including the one we have now.

I thought the point of changing coaches was to try and win stuff? For me Pochettino is no cert for that. Therefore I don't get the clamour to give him the job.

KennyBurner

So when he wins it's thanks to him and when he loses it's thanks to not buying players ?

The excuses given for rival managers here when they lose are extremely weird, Poch, Sarri and Emery get every possible excuse from United fans when they lose.
This is a ridiculous assessment when his rival managers are spending millions on players yet he hasn't spent a dime. He is allowed as many excuses because let's be honest this spurs squad shouldn't be second.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Based on the financial muscle they actually have Spurs shouldn't be competing for the league at all. Who else can you credit for that other than Pochettino? To criticise him for then failing to overperform even more than he already is would be bizzare. You're holding to him a standard than only applies to him because he's already doing far, far better than he should be doing.

Losing games like today is what should happen when a thin squad that suffered through a near unprecedented lack of investment during the summer hits a fixture pile-up. The only remarkable thing is that they're losing that game while second in the league ahead of teams with far greater resources.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dude rarely shows some amazing in-game management skills, I gotta say. We've seen other managers completely turn a game through clever subs but I haven't seen that enough with Pochettino.

el3mel

This is a ridiculous assessment when his rival managers are spending millions on players yet he hasn't spent a dime. He is allowed as many excuses because let's be honest this spurs squad shouldn't be second.
Based on the financial muscle they actually have Spurs shouldn't be competing for the league at all. Who else can you credit for that other than Pochettino? To criticise him for then failing to overperform even more than he already is would be bizzare. You're holding to him a standard than only applies to him because he's already doing far, far better than he should be doing.

Losing games like today is what should happen when a thin squad that suffered through a near unprecedented lack of investment during the summer hits a fixture pile-up. The only remarkable thing is that they're losing that game while second in the league ahead of teams with far greater resources.
Spending or not, this team is one of the best in the league quality wise and you can't say they're worse than the rest of the teams quality wise to give him excuses for not spending. They have players that will go straight in any of the other top 6.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

This squad is good enough to have won some trophies though.

Spurs haven't exactly losing to giants most times in their failures to win trophies. A good example is their defeat to us last season in the FA Cup after having scored first too.

GM K

Kudos to Poch but he needs to prove he can win titles for me to buy into him. He has squandered too many title swinging chances for my liking.

He's a very good manager. But I have my doubts about paying almost 40 mil for him when you could get Jardim on a free.
As I said if all we want is to compete there are a host of options: is there anyone who can say confidently that Pochettino would get vastly better results than Zidane etc?

Don't get me wrong Pochettino is a very good coach but I don't see him making us title winners. If he comes I hope he shows me up pronto. My expectation though is he'll keep us around top four at a relatively low cost and that'll satisfy the owners as long as he wants to hang about, just like Wenger in his late years at Arsenal.

K2K

Dude rarely shows some amazing in-game management skills, I gotta say. We've seen other managers completely turn a game through clever subs but I haven't seen that enough with Pochettino.
That second half management was really poor

Wolves didn't just sneak up on them.. You could see that comeback from a mile away..I am not saying that Ole is a better manager but I really liked what he did in the Huddersfield game with proactive substitutions. Sometimes you have to fix something before it completely falls apart.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
With the quality of player at his disposal, there is absolutely no reason to think they shouldn’t be second. I don’t know why people so readily downplay the quality of this squad in order to praise the manager. Simply, Poch would not be able to play the type of football he is playing and get the results he has been getting if this team lacked quality.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Winks is good, he's got real potential. He's also a 22 year old central midfielder who shouldn't be overly relied upon, and we should have someone to come in for him when he's looking off his game. We don't at the moment because Dembele and Wanyama are both sick notes (as predicted in the summer) so we're totally lacking numbers there. Sissoko/Winks have started the last few and played a lot of minutes, doing a hell of a lot of running in a short space of time. Our midfield tonight looked exhausted in the second half.

K2K

As I said if all we want is to compete there are a host of options: is there anyone who can say confidently that Pochettino would get vastly better results than Zidane etc?

Don't get me wrong Pochettino is a very good coach but I don't see him making us title winners. If he comes I hope he shows me up pronto. My expectation though is he'll keep us around top four at a relatively low cost and that'll satisfy the owners as long as he wants to hang about, just like Wenger in his late years at Arsenal.
That's my fear too.

He has never won anything. And that will always be a demand at a club like ours.

Dominos

Pochettino is the victim of his own success. If they were 4 points worse off coming in to today no one would be talking about the title, and therefore the loss today would not be an indication of bottling anything, just a game they dropped points in.

People love a lazy stereotype. Where did the Spurs bottling thing even come from by the way? Is it that food poisoning game from like 2006 that saw them miss out on 4th? :lol: It's amazing what people will cling onto.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That second half management was really poor

Wolves didn't just sneak up on them.. You could see that comeback from a mile away..I am not saying that Ole is a better manager but I really liked what he did in the Huddersfield game with proactive substitutions. Sometimes you have to fix something before it completely falls apart.
I said it before, but what proactive substitutions would you suggest he made?

He brought in Moura, who with our current injury situation is our only substitution you can expect to make a difference. You then have a mix of youth players (mostly defenders, and Skipp who keeps it tidy but isn't really the guy you want to be bringing in to the last 20 minutes of a tense, must win game) and the likes of Nkoudou.

I'm sure Poch could see it coming, but there is little he can do with his squad options. He had to hope we could hold on, but alas they got the goal from the set piece and that set off a chain reaction.

That's my fear too.

He has never won anything. And that will always be a demand at a club like ours.
Not for the Glazers.

If Mou had kept his mouth shut and guaranteed top 4 he'd still be in post.

The owners must look at Pochettino, how little he's spent and yet how he consistently delivers Spurs Champions League TV money, and see him as the dream coach.

Kapardin

If Ole delivers, of course we should keep him. It's a no-brainer, a United legend and an incredibly positive guy to have as a manager. But I don't think we can judge him based on the 2 wins we have seen.

If Ole shows tactical acumen in the tough games to come against the top 6 and PSG in the CL, and manages to keep this good football going while getting us to a respectable position in the league in terms of results (closely fought 5th is ok) -- only then we can open a discussion on him in the same sentence as Poch, Zidane or whoever are our other candidates.

Pochettino is the victim of his own success. If they were 4 points worse off coming in to today no one would be talking about the title, and therefore the loss today would not be an indication of bottling anything, just a game they dropped points in.

People love a lazy stereotype. Where did the Spurs bottling thing even come from by the way? Is it that food poisoning game from like 2006 that saw them miss out on 4th? :lol: It's amazing what people will cling onto.
'Lads, it's Spurs' Sir Alex Ferguson, 29 September 2001.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Kudos to Poch but he needs to prove he can win titles for me to buy into him. He has squandered too many title swinging chances for my liking.
Trust me, if he came to United he'd win trophies.

Bottling runs through the very being of the club at Spurs.

He's taken them as far as they will go - if he wants to win things, time to come to a proper big club.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I said it before, but what proactive substitutions would you suggest he made?

He brought in Moura, who with our current injury situation is our only substitution you can expect to make a difference. You then have a mix of youth players (mostly defenders, and Skipp who keeps it tidy but isn't really the guy you want to be bringing in to the last 20 minutes of a tense, must win game) and the likes of Nkoudou.

I'm sure Poch could see it coming, but there is little he can do with his squad options. He had to hope we could hold on, but alas they got the goal from the set piece and that set off a chain reaction.
Remember when Aleggri brought on Asemoa and Lichstenstiner and completely changed the game last season in the CL? Tactical changes aren't really about player quality, they are about tactical changes (a bit self explanatory really).

Switching to back 3 was a clear option if he had wanted to defend the lead (move Davies inside and bring on Rose). But I don't think Pochettino really has that in him. He is very set in his ways on how to win a match, if his plan for a game doesn't work he almost never changes things.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

I agree with this. The fact is we're a good team, but we aren't a great one. We don't have the squad for it, and we also lack in a couple of key first XI positions (fullbacks mainly) but won't go out and invest to take that next step. Tonight looks like a bottle, but the fact is we tired as a team and conceded at the worst possible moment.

Liverpool were 'bottlers' too, until they went out and strengthened the squad and the first XI with a number of key signings, now they're scarily consistent. They have proper backups in midfield/attack, and can afford to rotate. They brought in a top class keeper, left back and centre back, and their results reflect that improvement. If Levy went out next summer and spent the kind of money Klopp has, I'd back us to be title challengers for sure.