A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
One thing people haven't mentioned much in this thread and how he has transformed the mentality of the squad. Before Poch, Spurs would have given up and be humiliated going down 0-2 in the first ten minutes in a big match. Instead, he has created a squad that is mentally strong with a never quit attitude.

P.S., he does not deserve to move to any bigger club than Spurs since he has not won anything.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
If we went to Turin, I highly doubt we would have played like that.
Yeah, only Pep, Klopp and him would've played like that.
That was an incredibly mature performance from Spurs. I have not seen anything like that from a PL team in the CL for quite a few seasons now. They could have caved in, but they did not. They made Juve look like an outsider on their home turf after being 0-2 down. Amazing!

Nedved

It was a very brave approach by Pochettino. He was a bit lucky some Juventus players bottled it and that Spurs weren't punished on the counter, which could (should) have been the case 2-3 times. But you need that combination of skill, luck and good coaching to go far in the CL.

And Spurs weren't good because they had a lot of possession throughout the game - much worse teams have had that in Turin. They were good because they took the few chances they had and made life a little miserable for Juve in short periods of the game with their pressing.

60/40 Tottenham now.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
His work there has been nothing short of incredible. Easy to forget what he inherited from AVB and Tactics Tim. The abuse he was taking a few months ago was hilarious.

They look a solid Champions League club that can become a mainstay in the competition.

Once Mourinho goes he's my top choice to replace him and there's not a close second.

Jev

If he took Crawley from League 2 to Premier League and finished second, people on here would still dismiss him because he hadn't won a trophy.

Can't believe how simplistic some people are. He's done a marvelous job and would be fantastic for us.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
This has not «won anything argument» must be a UK-thing. Dont you understand the quality of football Spurs is playing at? The gulf of difference between the resources of Spurs and Man Utd?

How much his players has developed under him? I’m not even talking about Eriksen, Kane and Alli, but players like Ben Davies, Dembele, Trippier and Son too. Players considered so mediocre and average.

Two-three years ago few would have considered Trippier and Davies any better than Darmian and Blind.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This has not «won anything argument» must be a UK-thing. Dont you understand the quality of football Spurs is playing at? The gulf of difference between the resources of Spurs and Man Utd?

How much his players has developed under him? I’m not even talking about Eriksen, Kane and Alli, but players like Ben Davies, Dembele, Trippier and Son too. Players considered so mediocre and average.

Two-three years ago few would have considered Trippier and Davies any better than Darmian and Blind.
Shouldn't be. I'm Mancunian and would take him here right now.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest

Indeed. Would love him to stay at Spurs next season and him take over from Mourinho in 2019, but if he isn't at Madrid next season I'll be very surprised.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mate, grow up.
I've got nothing against Pochettino, he's a good manager. What I have got something against is this warped sense of judgement on him from many posters.

- If Spurs lose it is 'well he's only managing Tottenham so you can't expect much'
- If Spurs win it is 'well he's managing Tottenham so big credit to him, look at how he's made all these world class players etc. etc.

One moment Tottenham have been turned into a world class team by Pochettino, the next moment Tottenahm are a wee-little team that can't compete. Basically, the narrative is changed to create an excuse.

I judge Pochettino the same as I judge any manager. He is a good coach, but in order to be considered among the best he must win things. This is why I would be interested in him going to Madrid, to see how well he does.

Jev

So much this.

Must be jealousness.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

It's just a bitter fan thing, nothing UK-thing about it.

RedStarUnited

Even at Fulham, Dembele was not mediocre or average.

acnumber9

What would impress me about them at the minute is the sheer confidence he has them playing with. They don’t seem to fear anyone and that’s a hell of an attribute to find.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Im not sure his 'my way or the highway' attitude would fly at bigger clubs with a slew of superstars. Can get away with it at Spurs and a team of young players that buy into his philosophy. Remember when he came in at Spurs he shifted a bunch of players that didnt fit his philosophy for the club. I dont think that sort of attitude would fly at places like RM where the club has outlaid massive expenditure on superstars. Just to have Poch come in and not want the player as part of his team.

Borden

People are simplistic and lazy, so 'number of trophies' is all their small minds can compute.

Pochettino is doing a phenomenal job at Spurs. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I've got nothing against Pochettino, he's a good manager. What I have got something against is this warped sense of judgement on him from many posters.

- If Spurs lose it is 'well he's only managing Tottenham so you can't expect much'
- If Spurs win it is 'well he's managing Tottenham so big credit to him, look at how he's made all these world class players etc. etc.

One moment Tottenham have been turned into a world class team by Pochettino, the next moment Tottenahm are a wee-little team that can't compete. Basically, the narrative is changed to create an excuse.

I judge Pochettino the same as I judge any manager. He is a good coach, but in order to be considered among the best he must win things. This is why I would be interested in him going to Madrid, to see how well he does.
You can't judge every manager the same, how can you.

minoo-utd

Fearless. And also built a good side, had a tough of a run but has beaten us drew to Pool away won against Arsenal and drew to Juve in a match witch requires an experienced side. Think he might coach Madrid after Zidane.

reddevil702

Im not sure his 'my way or the highway' attitude would fly at bigger clubs with a slew of superstars. Can get away with it at Spurs and a team of young players that buy into his philosophy. Remember when he came in at Spurs he shifted a bunch of players that didnt fit his philosophy for the club. I dont think that sort of attitude would fly at places like RM where the club has outlaid massive expenditure on superstars. Just to have Poch come in and not want the player as part of his team.
Seems to have worked well for Pep and he did it with bigger names at Barca.

Oo0AahCantona

Was just thinking, would the England job be a shout for all parties involved? Poch can take a 2-4 year euro's and world cup cycle, he knows the players, and the centrepiece names from spurs that make up a chunk of the team, and has proven he can galvanise players of that calibre. He would be the top paid manager in the world most likely and gets to keep his stock at a high for when he finds a team he likes the look of for his next job, and will most likely get his pick.

England benefit as he's clearly a top manager and a lot of the players knows how he wants to play already.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Went to Juventus, one of European heavy weights and completely bossed the game.

Spurs play without fear and always on front foot. Massive credit for Poch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Went to Juventus, one of European heavy weights and completely bossed the game.

Spurs play without fear and always on front foot. Massive credit for Poch.
He has given the team incredible belief and is changing the culture in the club. Best Spurs manager in my lifetime and I'm in my 40's. Hope he stays for many years.

Ban

He'll either build a dynasty and win trophies at Spurs or move to a bigger club if Spurs will be good but not on top of things.
I know it sounds petty maybe or something but he too will like to try himself abroad if Spurs reach they limit.

Greck

Seems to have worked well for Pep and he did it with bigger names at Barca.
Yep every manager that emphasises progressive football always starts by shipping out all the technically deficient players

Axkiko

Whoever doubt Poch quality should watch Spurs last few games. Dominated United and Arsenal in the whole game, a little bit lucky to took a point against Liverpool but their second half performance at Anfield were brilliant. Fight back like lion without fear to went after Juve despite early 2 goals disadvantage last night.

Their mentality is much stronger than us if the team is losing. Their fightback exactly what United missing since SAF left.

Canagel

We would never have dominated a top European side like that. He hasn't won trophies yet but he is proof you don't need to spend a bucket load of money to play like that. The trophies will come if you continue that way.

Dolf

We would never have dominated a top European side like that. He hasn't won trophies yet but he is proof you don't need to spend a bucket load of money to play like that. The trophies will come if you continue that way.
Dominated? Come on.
The only reason Juventus let them have a go was because spurs got humiliated in 8 minutes time. Great comeback ofcourse that requires a great mentality but let’s not act like they dominated Juventus from the start and they should have won 5-0 or something

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Yes, truly dominated.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Dominated? Come on.
The only reason Juventus let them have a go was because spurs got humiliated in 8 minutes time. Great comeback ofcourse that requires a great mentality but let’s not act like they dominated Juventus from the start and they should have won 5-0 or something
Haha. Get real. Juventus were absolutely dominated. Spurs had twice as many passes than Juventus and spurs midfield had three times as many successful passes than Juventus did. Put it simply if it wasn't for the ridiculous opening 10 minutes where Juventus also scored an offside opening goal spurs would have walked away with a 2 nil away win.

You never see Juventus dominated like that.

Thisistheone

If Pep had taken over that Spurs squad back in 2014 could he have done better?

Poch is working at an exceptional level pound for pound.

redIndianDevil

Nah its just an idiots-thing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Dominated? Come on.
I have no doubt in my mind, had we been in Spurs' situation, we wouldn't have equalised.