A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Guy Incognito

Why would we definitely be selling players because the stadium cost has increased?
You will be selling players because that's the mode of business at Spurs. Buy cheap, sell high. Building a stadium isn't going to change that, not unless you drastically improve.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You will be selling players because that's the mode of business at Spurs. Buy cheap, sell high. Building a stadium isn't going to change that, not unless you drastically improve.
Originally you said we'll be selling players because "the [stadium] construction cost has skyrocketed". Now you say it's because "that's the mode of business at Spurs".

This changed reasoning shows your wishful thinking and your desire to come up with any old justification for it.

The main thing that has sky-rocketed is Spurs income: £209.8m (year ended June 30th 2016, an increase of 7% on the prior year), £305.6m last season (according to Deloitte), which would be an increase of 45% on the prior season. And next season the increase will again be massive, probably taking us through the £400m barrier.

In summary, Spurs are not short of money and have zero need to sell players.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It shows how little you know if you think an overspend in infrastructure or stadium means we have to sell a player. If you go get a loan for capital investment any bank is going to insist proof that u can prove u can make payments up to and over the initial amount.

Ok please explain our mode of business? Also point out how our stadium won't change "our mode of business".

gajender

if he isn't then Tottenham are well on their way to turn into another Arsenal
-It will be a great achievement for Poch to turn Tottenham into another Arsenal from revenue and turnover's perspective. If i am Levy I will give him a job for life if he can do that. This is also the reason why Wenger is almost untouchable in Arsenal.

they need to make the next step according to most they have a great manager , great team on par with the best in league so what's stopping them from winning the league
-see Monaco last season vs this, and BVB, or even Arsenal before 2013. Their best player being pick up by richer team every season (see the ongoing discussion about the future of Kane). Their players want higher wages that is offered else where (See Rose). Manager need to rebuild the team every season, rather than improve from a basis. That is basically what Conte is complaining about chelsea's transfer policy as well. For next step, Poch can do what Arsene Wenger did back then with Arsenal, is to grow with Tottenham together, or go to a team with bigger budget than Spurs.

if the excuse is money then it's not going to change that greatly with the new stadium either
-See arsenal with new stadium. It is not an excuse, it is the reality. That is basically what Wenger recently talked about as well. The new stadium didn't stop Sanchez's move to man utd because of higher chance to win trophy there, and higher salary. The reason for Man Utd to have higher chance to win trophy, is because of resource available there.

Arsenal are a significantly bigger club than Spurs, so Pochetino would do a brilliant job in turning Spurs into an another Arsenal.

And well, Arsenal have won in the last 4 years more trophies (and more important ones) than Spurs in the last 30 years. Spurs fan can hope for Spurs to turn into an another Arsenal.
When I said they would turn into another Arsenal it meant their management is content with top 4 and Pochetinno is under no pressure to win big trophies just like Wenger at Arsenal not the size or profile of the club.

Thiery Henry about the bolded part so you agree with my point about the money what I said was using money as an excuse doesn't work for them because even after stadium expansion and extra resources generated they would still have two Manchester clubs significantly able to outspend them and in the long run money talks.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
They will almost certainly be selling players, the construction cost has skyrocketed and will be over £1 billion. If they don't win anything this or next season, and United/City/Real come in with silly money for Kane, Levy will consider it.
Rubbish basically. If you think silly money would make Spurs consider selling Kane you are in cloud cuckoo land. Just because you want it to happen doesn't mean it has any basis in reality.

The stadium costs are completely covered and does not in any way have to be paid for by selling key players.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
I think so. Spurs aren't a club that has won a lot of trophies. Their last trophy is league cup 10 years ago. Their last important trophy is FA Cup in 1991. Even domestic cups for them in the last 30 years are as rare as UCL for us, so of course that winning some trophy for Spurs is extremely important. They can act as high as they want that they are a big club and prefer to play in UCL, but an FA Cup trophy actually tops any season they have had in the last 25 years.

Southampton and Espanyol are even more starved for trophies, so him not having won a trophy ever in his career is a black mark. Make yourself a question: which top manager didn't win anything during his first 9 years as a manager? If the answer is none, then why Pochetino should actually be considered in the same level as them.

He is a good manager though, but until he starts winning trophies, he is not in the elite group.
First of all...a league cup wouldn't change anything. I don't think you actually realise the project at Spurs and what the ambition is.

Read these quotes from Poch from yesterday.

Mauricio Pochettino feels the pressure of sending Tottenham to their new stadium as a Champions League team but insists the club's long-term plan is more important than winning a trophy.

Spurs face Arsenal at Wembley on Saturday, knowing victory would deliver a major boost to their own chances of finishing in the Premier League top four and deal a hammer blow to the hopes of their north London rivals.

Arsenal trail Tottenham by four points in the table, with the prospect of Pochettino's side ending a second consecutive season above the Gunners now within sight.

League position, however, counts for only so much. Spurs are yet to win any silverware during Pochettino's tenure, while a turbulent few years for Arsenal has still included them lifting the FA Cup three times in four seasons

Pochettino, whose side are due to return to an overhauled White Hart Lane next season, claims reviewing Tottenham's progress on trophies alone is to miss the wider point.

"When we arrived we realised how difficult it was and what would be the process of moving from one stadium to another. We knew it was a difficult moment in terms of the whole process of the club but we went through
"I feel the responsibility to manage a club and a company, that you need results to be sure that all the income will be at a level to start a process to build a new stadium, to attract players, to play Champions League.

"That is a little bit unfair when you compare us with another. People say, 'Tottenham need to win a title'. But for me, the process is more than winning a title.

"Another thing that is important, when you compete against massive sides like City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the broadcasters give them massive money - that massive money, for them, goes to investing in new players.

"For us it means to build the project so that one day we have the capacity to do the same or change the philosophy."

What he's basically saying is for our rivals, they can spend all their money on players and concentrate on winning trophies. For us as have had to concentrate on building the club up on and off the field to enable us to get into a position to consistently challenge for the elite titles.

Winning a league cup won't change that.

Also for you to somehow make it a negative that he didn't win a trophy at Southampton. What on earth do you expect? There isn't a manager on earth who could guarantee Southampton trophies bar incredible fortune and luck. Football is quite a simple game, the teams with the best players normally win all the trophies...and the biggest and richest clubs have all the best players. So you tell me which top managers managed midtable sides like Espanyol and Southampton and won trophies? I'm interested to hear that. Did Mourinho or Pep Guardiola? Hmmm no they didn't.

Rajma

First of all...a league cup wouldn't change anything. I don't think you actually realise the project at Spurs and what the ambition is.

Mauricio Pochettino feels the pressure of sending Tottenham to their new stadium as a Champions League team but insists the club's long-term plan is more important than winning a trophy.

Spurs face Arsenal at Wembley on Saturday, knowing victory would deliver a major boost to their own chances of finishing in the Premier League top four and deal a hammer blow to the hopes of their north London rivals.

Arsenal trail Tottenham by four points in the table, with the prospect of Pochettino's side ending a second consecutive season above the Gunners now within sight.

League position, however, counts for only so much. Spurs are yet to win any silverware during Pochettino's tenure, while a turbulent few years for Arsenal has still included them lifting the FA Cup three times in four seasons

Pochettino, whose side are due to return to an overhauled White Hart Lane next season, claims reviewing Tottenham's progress on trophies alone is to miss the wider point.

"When we arrived we realised how difficult it was and what would be the process of moving from one stadium to another. We knew it was a difficult moment in terms of the whole process of the club but we went through
"I feel the responsibility to manage a club and a company, that you need results to be sure that all the income will be at a level to start a process to build a new stadium, to attract players, to play Champions League.

"That is a little bit unfair when you compare us with another. People say, 'Tottenham need to win a title'. But for me, the process is more than winning a title.

"Another thing that is important, when you compete against massive sides like City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the broadcasters give them massive money - that massive money, for them, goes to investing in new players.

"For us it means to build the project so that one day we have the capacity to do the same or change the philosophy."

What he's basically saying is for our rivals, they can spend all their money on players and concentrate on winning trophies. For us as have had to concentrate on building the club up on and off the field to enable us to get into a position to consistently challenge for the elite titles.

Also for you to somehow make it a negative that he didn't win a trophy at Southampton. What on earth do you expect? There isn't a manager on earth who could guarantee Southampton trophies bar incredible fortune and luck. Football is quite a simple game, the teams with the best players normally win all the trophies...and the biggest and richest clubs have all the best players. So you tell me which top managers managed midtable sides like Espanyol and Southampton and won trophies? I'm interested to hear that. Did Mourinho or Pep Guardiola? Hmmm no they didn't.
Big pile of an excuse that, he now has a very good team that stayed together for a number of years (cohesiveness that other teams going through transitions do not exhibit) with the best out and out striker in the world (admittedly, he has a huge stake in developing those players), hence hiding behind ‘process’ and ‘project’ is ridiculous when topic turns to winning some silverware. Personally, while he is obviously a fantastic manager he become to comfortable at Spurs with the way they operate, meaning little pressure - later years Wenger if you will.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

I kind of get Poch's point, but he can only hide behind the 'process' argument for so long. They can't compete with City or United for players fee-wise, but they have a good squad and made shedloads selling some players, so it's not like they can't afford top talent.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wanted him in2016 but I'm over that now.
Just want us to take some lessons from them especially in big games.
The more aggressive team wind most of the time.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's on our radar. I have no doubt
Completely shut us and Arsenal out, using a 4231.

Roaming attacking midfielders and high full backs, but always a box of four (centre backs and defensive midfielders) staying back to snuff out any potential counters. Beautiful to watch.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So their dreaded run in against United, Liverpool & Arsenal finished with 7 points. Very impressive.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
7/9 from those 3 games is really impressive. I think they will knock Juventus out, they should certainly approach the tie with zero inferiority complex.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Can't wait to see how they perform against Juventus.
Two teams in great form. Could be an exceptional tie.

I'd just fancy Juve because of their experience that level but only just.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
50/50 against Juve, Spurs have hit good form and had all their injury woes iron out at the right time, just Alderweireld and Rose now to get some match fitness up, but both back and playing. Wanyama, Dembele, Lamela all back and playing, will take some time id imagine for Moura to be ready.

I still fancy Juventus to pip Spurs but it certainly will not be easy.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I can't see how he can succeeded in Real Madrid with the way he want his team play. I can't see CR7, Modric, Kroos and Benz can adapt to his high pressing game.

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
I can't see how he can succeeded in Real Madrid with the way he want his team play. I can't see CR7, Modric, Kroos and Benz can adapt to his high pressing game.
How many of CR7, Modric, Kroos, and Benz will still be at Madrid next year? My guess is that, at the very least, CR7 and Benz are gone, along with Bale, and Madrid completely rebuild their attack for next year.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
I’m staying at Tottenham till I’m 74 years old.

Guy Incognito

He hasn't won anything, but he is a damn good coach. You can tell he trains his players properly. They always seem to peak at this point in the season and with four intense games (United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juve), he's got the maximum out of his squad, especially Dembele.

I think he could succeed in Real Madrid, whether the players buy into his philosophy is another matter. But that club will be sniffing after him and Kane.

AndyJ1985

Would hand Mourinho his p45 tomorrow if it meant we could get Poch. Sets his team up the way I want to see United play.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
He can go to Madrid, Bayern, PSG or Barcelona and wins trophies if he wants. What he is doing/done at Spurs is something much more incredible than winning simple trophies. It reminds me of the foundation Sir Alex Ferguson laid at United.
It was more of a joke.
People on here question him as a coach because he's not won any major trophies for Tottenham. Me personally, I'd love him here

Wayne's World

I'd love for him to take over after Mourinho but these performances in Europe will make Madrid act quick and he won't reject them for us

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That's the 'drew to Juventus away from home' cup secured for Pochettino; maybe he can challenge SAF for the number of trophies won?