A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Haha. Get real. Juventus were absolutely dominated. Spurs had twice as many passes than Juventus and spurs midfield had three times as many successful passes than Juventus did. Put it simply if it wasn't for the ridiculous opening 10 minutes where Juventus also scored an offside opening goal spurs would have walked away with a 2 nil away win.

You never see Juventus dominated like that.
:lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I actually can't believe that people still downplay what Poch has done tbh.

This was a sample of the teams we were putting out the season Poch took over:

Sherwood's last game in charge?

Lloris

Naughton
Dawson
Chiriches
Rose

Sandro
Paulinho
Siggy
Eriksen

Adebayor
Kane

With our bench being Soldado, Capoue, Friedel, Fryers, Pritchard, Bentaleb and Veljkovic.

Yet now we are in the CL knock outs, going toe to toe with the club that has finished runners up in 2 of the last 3 seasons. We've got Son, Moura on the bench, Wanyama and Rose, two of our most important players from last season still getting up to full fitness, arguably our best defender still the same and Llorente not even on the bench. We're currently 6-8th favourites to win the CL by odds. Now, don't get me wrong, we're not going to win the CL.

But what a turnaround from the Spurs of even 10 years ago, the Spurs that most of the top teams could steamroll, who you could conceivably say you were still in the game even being 3-0 down at HT. What a massive change.

Honestly, if someone told you even 5 seasons back that this is what would happen, would you believe them?

Obviously we need to win trophies but to reduce his work to just that is missing the context of the work he is doing it in. And of course, would seemingly suggest that someone like Ramos is a much better manager than Poch, seeing as he won a league cup.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
He's done very well, beat Real Madrid this season too. If he continues like this he'll certainly be moved into the top bracket of managers, and he won't go back to managing midtable teams.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We're currently 6-8th favourites to win the CL by odds. Now, don't get me wrong, we're not going to win the CL.
Y'know, I think its unlikely you'll win, but you're currently unbeaten in the CL. Drawing against the previous two finalists away and beating Dortmund away. Granted many will say that Madrid and Dortmund are having poor seasons, but even so, it's impressive. You should fear nobody. I also think when you play your natural game and have your full strength team you're one of the best teams in Europe and very hard to play against.

I consider you a dark horse along with Shaktar to cause a few upsets.

Dolf

Haha. Get real. Juventus were absolutely dominated. Spurs had twice as many passes than Juventus and spurs midfield had three times as many successful passes than Juventus did. Put it simply if it wasn't for the ridiculous opening 10 minutes where Juventus also scored an offside opening goal spurs would have walked away with a 2 nil away win.

You never see Juventus dominated like that.
So more passes mean you dominate? Come on. Juventus dominated for 8 minutes and then let Spurs come to them. Something i would have done too if i were 2-0 up and had Chiellini, Benatia and Buffon in my team.

LoneStar

It sucks that 3 of our domestic rivals have managers who go all out offensive against the top teams. While we just park the bus and hope to nick a draw or a goal, like some underdog.

He has instilled a fantastic mentality among the players. If we were 2-0 down against a team like Juventus, we would have given up entirely, and just prevented them from scoring more. Mourinho’s tactics go down the drain once the opposition scores a goal or two first.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
So more passes mean you dominate? Come on. Juventus dominated for 8 minutes and then let Spurs come to them. Something i would have done too if i were 2-0 up and had Chiellini, Benatia and Buffon in my team.
dominated for 8 minutes? How can a team dominate for 8 minutes? Spurs made two huge mistakes, Juventus didn't dominate anything they just capitalised on two defensive mistakes.

Richrip

Put simply Spurs (and Liverpool) are currently better coached than Utd.

Still unsure if he can make that final step and win something (like Jose does) but I supoos if he wins the CL this year we will say it’s luck let’s wait until he’s won it twice blah blah blah.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Credit to spurs scouting team as well. Just hitting their potential. Its not like Spurs have a bad team. They have a world class player with a strong team behind him. Sky is the limit for them. Think they should start winning things else I would say Poch is underachieving with that squad

Not sure if Poch can make an average team punching above their weight but still a very good coach though.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Seems to be tactically great against the big teams away in Europe, but struggling against the top 6 away domestically.

Do teams not take Tottenham as serious in Europe? And just think they can turn up and will win?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This has not «won anything argument» must be a UK-thing. Dont you understand the quality of football Spurs is playing at? The gulf of difference between the resources of Spurs and Man Utd?

How much his players has developed under him? I’m not even talking about Eriksen, Kane and Alli, but players like Ben Davies, Dembele, Trippier and Son too. Players considered so mediocre and average.

Two-three years ago few would have considered Trippier and Davies any better than Darmian and Blind.
I believe by saying this it will make Utd fans a reason why they need to back Mou as their manager, given the result and football on display lately.

poleglass red

I think it's a mentality thing with Poch I like. Terrible start to a huge game but instead of just tightening things at the back and maybe hitting on the counter, they took the game to Juve. I feel Jose at 2-1 would have accepted that and sat back thinking we'd do them at home and brought on the usual suspects to shut up shop, but fair play to Spurs they played to win and dominated the game. In our last 2 games ie Spurs and Newcastle we have brought on McTominay twice and Carrick once in a game where we needed to score in. Poch brought Son on yesterday in the game. I'm no Poch fan boy, in fact I think he made a mistake in playing Aurier over Tripper, but that's just me. He seems to have a bit of that early Fergie about him, in that we'll take the game to anybody.....
Fair play to him and Spurs.....that was truly an excellent game

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Seems to be tactically great against the big teams away in Europe, but struggling against the top 6 away domestically.

Do teams not take Tottenham as serious in Europe? And just think they can turn up and will win?
I think that it is evident that Juve did not take Spurs seriously until the second half of last night's game. After going 2-0 up, Juve just let Spurs have the ball deep, park the bus, and practically said that Spurs were too inept to hurt them. They underestimated Dembele and what he could do if he is allowed space to dribble into. Dembele kept dribbling past their first defender (sometimes a couple), disrupt their defensive shape, and opened up space for other Spurs player. Juventus changed tactics in the second half and tried their best to press Dembele whenever he received the ball. But Dembele was still boss and his dribbling ability was the catalyst for Spurs' second goal.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
As a neutral watcher here I think that if Matuidi and Dybala will recover well from their injuries for the second leg Juve will have more chances to pass the turn than Spurs.

E-mal

As a neutral watcher here I think that if Matuidi and Dybala will recover well from their injuries for the second leg Juve will have more chances to pass the turn than Spurs.
No chance, they where dominated right in their home. Such dominance will not be changed by one or two players except they are Messi

E-mal

Credit to spurs scouting team as well. Just hitting their potential. Its not like Spurs have a bad team. They have a world class player with a strong team behind him. Sky is the limit for them. Think they should start winning things else I would say Poch is underachieving with that squad

Not sure if Poch can make an average team punching above their weight but still a very good coach though.
Lol, what are you on about? He bought most of those players. Players that weren't highly thought of.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
In the 2nd leg you've got to fancy Spurs to score at least once, which because of the away goals rule would then mean that Juve have to score 2 with no further reply.

As long as we don't get caught cold again early on, that's going to be a tough ask for Juve.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
No chance, they where dominated right in their home. Such dominance will not be changed by one or two players except they are Messi
spurs have dominated the second half not the entire game for me, you are talking like a fan whom have won 4-0 at Turin but its not...I suggest to you to consider the fact that anything can happen at k.o. stages with teams of the level of Juventus....

ps.
I hate Juve and hope that spurs will kick them out

poleglass red

In the 2nd leg you've got to fancy Spurs to score at least once, which because of the away goals rule would then mean that Juve have to score 2 with no further reply.

As long as we don't get caught cold again early on, that's going to be a tough ask for Juve.
as a spurs fan quick question. I had a right few quid on ur lot to draw, so at 2-1 I was actually cheering spurs. I don't normally follow Spurs in the sense so I think you get a bit of different perspective when you are. As a utd fan watching as a "spurs fans" solely for monetary reasons, I took more notice of your team than I normally would. 2 players that were giving me nightmares were Aurier and Sanchez. Was I just being over critical or is there genuine concerns with them 2. I felt after the first 10 mins or so Spurs were excellent, but I felt Aurier was a red card waiting to happen and Sanchez seemed to be having a tough time with Higuain. Trippier was excellent against us the other week, was he injured?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
as a spurs fan quick question. I had a right few quid on ur lot to draw, so at 2-1 I was actually cheering spurs. I don't normally follow Spurs in the sense so I think you get a bit of different perspective when you are. As a utd fan watching as a "spurs fans" solely for monetary reasons, I took more notice of your team than I normally would. 2 players that were giving me nightmares were Aurier and Sanchez. Was I just being over critical or is there genuine concerns with them 2. I felt after the first 10 mins or so Spurs were excellent, but I felt Aurier was a red card waiting to happen and Sanchez seemed to be having a tough time with Higuain. Trippier was excellent against us the other week, was he injured?
There's a concern with Aurier, yes, but not really with Sanchez because he's generally been pretty good in Alderweireld's absence.

Trippier wasn't injured, just being rested, but I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Aurier for the 2nd leg. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a back 3 for the 2nd leg - Sanchez + Alderweireld + Vertonghen.

I expect Aurier to improve, but this is his first season in the Prem and with Spurs (as with Sanchez) and some players take a while to settle down. But right now he doesn't inspire confidence and needs to tone down his rash tackles.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His ability to get a response out of his team is phenomenal. He's going to be a top tier manager wherever he goes.

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
Utd should've gone for Poch instead of Jose. He builds for the future and produces quality, attacking teams. Spurs have been brilliant in Europe this year and his Southampton team would've also done well if the owners hadn't kept selling the best players.

Greck

I think that it is evident that Juve did not take Spurs seriously until the second half of last night's game. After going 2-0 up, Juve just let Spurs have the ball deep, park the bus, and practically said that Spurs were too inept to hurt them. They underestimated Dembele and what he could do if he is allowed space to dribble into. Dembele kept dribbling past their first defender (sometimes a couple), disrupt their defensive shape, and opened up space for other Spurs player. Juventus changed tactics in the second half and tried their best to press Dembele whenever he received the ball. But Dembele was still boss and his dribbling ability was the catalyst for Spurs' second goal.
Gotta disagree, respectfully. They were sitting deep even before the 2nd goal. It was obviously their plan to play pragmatic football, sit deep and counter and it almost worked. They were okay to let Spurs dominate possession and hit them on the counter. You don't do this against a team you don't respect. Even after Spurs got their second they tried to push up but ultimately got pushed back

bond19821982

Lol, what are you on about? He bought most of those players. Players that weren't highly thought of.
Who out of that wasn't highly rated ? Their best players were already there when Poch came.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Who out of that wasn't highly rated ? Their best players were already there when Poch came.
Son, Alderweireld, Alli, Dier, Wanyama, Davies, Trippier, Sanchez ... all arrived after Pochettino. This includes at least 5 - maybe 6 - of what are now first XI players.

bond19821982

Son, Alderweireld, Alli, Dier, Wanyama, Davies, Trippier, Sanchez ... all arrived after Pochettino. This includes at least 5 - maybe 6 - of what are now first XI players.
And yes,I rate only Alderweireld out of it which itself is a curious case as he showed great potential at Athletico Madrid.

Not a dig towards Poch but i believe your scouting team needs equal credit for signing players. Fair play to him for creating a system that works for everyone.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's a mentality thing with Poch I like. Terrible start to a huge game but instead of just tightening things at the back and maybe hitting on the counter, they took the game to Juve. I feel Jose at 2-1 would have accepted that and sat back thinking we'd do them at home and brought on the usual suspects to shut up shop, but fair play to Spurs they played to win and dominated the game. In our last 2 games ie Spurs and Newcastle we have brought on McTominay twice and Carrick once in a game where we needed to score in. Poch brought Son on yesterday in the game. I'm no Poch fan boy, in fact I think he made a mistake in playing Aurier over Tripper, but that's just me. He seems to have a bit of that early Fergie about him, in that we'll take the game to anybody.....
Fair play to him and Spurs.....that was truly an excellent game
That's exactly what Spurs did, they just did it by keeping the ball. They had 2 shots in the entire second half. Two. Not shots on target, total shots. One, an unlikely 30 yard attempt by Kane, the other the FK.

Theonas

Scout
There's a concern with Aurier, yes, but not really with Sanchez because he's generally been pretty good in Alderweireld's absence.

Trippier wasn't injured, just being rested, but I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Aurier for the 2nd leg. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a back 3 for the 2nd leg - Sanchez + Alderweireld + Vertonghen.

I expect Aurier to improve, but this is his first season in the Prem and with Spurs (as with Sanchez) and some players take a while to settle down. But right now he doesn't inspire confidence and needs to tone down his rash tackles.
Well considering that playing a banned player like Aurier would result in automatic elimination, I would be slightly more certain than you are.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Well considering that playing a banned player like Aurier would result in automatic elimination, I would be slightly more certain than you are.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about his yellow card.

arthurka

After watching this game v juve I cant understand how people are still on about him not winning anything..

How he played that second half was something else ..

We can only dream of anything close to this under Mou.. I've been having my doubts about Mou as our manager and after this game I just want him out ... I fully agree with both Giggsy and Scholes that United need to entertain people as well as win. Poch might do that but I certainly cant see that happening under Mourinho. . Youth and entertaining football should be served at United. ..

raggy

Supports
Spurs
He's done very well, beat Real Madrid this season too. If he continues like this he'll certainly be moved into the top bracket of managers, and he won't go back to managing midtable teams.
Same with Klopp then I guess. Liverpool have finished below Spurs in 7 out of the last 8 seasons. If we're midtable you must be below that somewhere.

Reactions: Carolina Red

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
Same with Klopp then I guess. Liverpool have finished below Spurs in 7 out of the last 8 seasons. If we're midtable you must be below that somewhere.
Mid table as it Soton. Not Tottenham.

Baby Groot

I'm willing to bet that they will end up win noting while Wenger will pick up another medal at wembley.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He'll need to win trophies. Until he does this, he won't be considered as a top manager.
In pro sport, winning is the most important thing.
In the school playground, it's the taking part that counts.