A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's games like today against Rochdale , the first leg and the struggle against Palace that get conveniently ignored when his managerial credentials get brought up. Far too often he relies on the brilliance of Kane to dig him out.

Rochdale are camped in Spurs half, Rochdale! I wonder what the meltdown would look like if this was us?
To be fair we should be about 3 goals up but VAR and a dodgy ref is against us - also the game isn't over yet. Oh and we beat Palace - playing badly but winning is a good thing.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's games like today against Rochdale , the first leg and the struggle against Palace that get conveniently ignored when his managerial credentials get brought up. Far too often he relies on the brilliance of Kane to dig him out.

Rochdale are camped in Spurs half, Rochdale! I wonder what the meltdown would look like if this was us?
Talk about clutching at straws ... the desperation is strong.

haram

People don't realise there is a reason why they are behind us in the table?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Talk about clutching at straws ... the desperation is strong.
Yeah. Let's pretend that never happened at the end of the first half.

Says the bloke making up his own rules for the pen incident...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Soooo even the best managers don't have an off game in the FA Cup, an did you even see the Palace game? If you don't rate Poch cause of these 2 games that's your own choice but it's a little shortsighted.

haram

Soooo even the best managers don't have an off game in the FA Cup, an did you even see the Palace game? If you don't rate Poch cause of these 2 games that's your own choice but it's a little shortsighted.
Mourinho would have been crucified for draws against Rochdale and Newport.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Fergie drew games in the FA Cup against a number of lower league teams, even losing at home to Leeds once. Let's not pretend that it's not entirely common for top teams to get pushed by game raising lower league sides in the FA Cup. Spurs won 6-1 tonight ffs.

Canagel

I don't want him as our manager simply because he promotes cheating. It's not worth sacrificing our dignity to get him even though I rate his coaching ability.

haram

Fergie drew games in the FA Cup against a number of lower league teams, even losing at home to Leeds once. Let's not pretend that it's not entirely common for top teams to get pushed by game raising lower league sides in the FA Cup. Spurs won 6-1 tonight ffs.
That's not the point though is it?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That's not the point though is it?
Is a bit. There'd have been a bit of "United should have won that game" with a look at Mourinho's tactics and team selection, but it'd have soon been forgotten about, especially if we went on to win 6-1 in the replay. He certainly wouldn't have been crucified.

haram

Is a bit. There'd have been a bit of "United should have won that game" with a look at Mourinho's tactics and team selection, but it'd have soon been forgotten about, especially if we went on to win 6-1 in the replay. He certainly wouldn't have been crucified.
If we drew to Newport, and then drew to Rochdale, people would lose their shit.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If we drew to Newport, and then drew to Rochdale, people would lose their shit.
Mate, we drew with Cambridge and got battered 4-0 by MK Dons in the same season and it was soon forgotten about.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah. Let's pretend that never happened at the end of the first half.

Says the bloke making up his own rules for the pen incident...
Wow ... so Rochdale had a 5 minute spell of threatening football before they ran out of steam and were blown away by a partially 2nd string Spurs XI. And this is your contribution to a serious look at Pochettino :houllier:

haram

Mate, we drew with Cambridge and got battered 4-0 by MK Dons in the same season and it was soon forgotten about.
People will ignore these results and performances against Newport and Rochdale away but would not do the same for Mourinho. When drooling over other managers like Pochettino people dont seem to realise that results like these happen. Draws to Rochdale and Newport would be used against Mourinho. The same will not be done for Pochettino. If you cannot see that I don't know what to say.

ivaldo

Wow ... so Rochdale had a 5 minute spell of threatening football before they ran out of steam and were blown away by a partially 2nd string Spurs XI. And this is your contribution to a serious look at Pochettino :houllier:
That's when I said it? If you want to wait an hour before responding then that's fine, just do so with a basic understanding of time. They were camped in your half as you have just admitted - that's it.

:lol: They are fecking Rochdale! And it took you over 2 hours of football to get a manageable lead. Calm yourself down.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That's when I said it? If you want to wait an hour before responding then that's fine, just do so with a basic understanding of time. They were camped in your half as you have just admitted - that's it.

:lol: They are fecking Rochdale! And it took you over 2 hours of football to get a manageable lead. Calm yourself down.
Get a grip sunshine. First off, using any single game (far less a 5 minute spell) as the basis for serious criticism is short-sighted to say the least. Second, you may not have noticed but Spurs won this single game 6 - 1. Third, Rochdale got a draw at home with Spurs in the FA Cup ... big deal.

ivaldo

Get a grip sunshine. First off, using any single game (far less a 5 minute spell) as the basis for serious criticism is short-sighted to say the least. Second, you may not have noticed but Spurs won this single game 6 - 1. Third, Rochdale got a draw at home with Spurs in the FA Cup ... big deal.
You must have missed the part where I mentioned two other games. It was tricky to spot though, it was in the first paragraph of the post you quoted.

Yeah, a 5 minute spell at the end of a half where you were drawing with the mighty Rochdale, after they had already taken you the full 90 minutes. You're not very good at this, are you? Feck me you get precious at any kind of criticism against your side!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yet who put you out of the Carabao cup? I don't get the shock, PL often field weakened teams and sometimes get caught out, it's what the cup games are all about. It's why there is so much talk of cup magic. Even City and Pepe got caught out.

Some of the comments on here are absolutely, well just plain stupid it's like some of you have only started watching football this season :lol:.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You must have missed the part where I mentioned two other games. It was tricky to spot though, it was in the first paragraph of the post you quoted.

Yeah, a 5 minute spell at the end of a half where you were drawing with the mighty Rochdale, after they had already taken you the full 90 minutes. You're not very good at this, are you? Feck me you get precious at any kind of criticism against your side!
Criticism is fine. Criticism based on Rochdale being "camped in" the Spurs half is just pathetic.

haram

Yet who put you out of the Carabao cup? I don't get the shock, PL often field weakened teams and sometimes get caught out, it's what the cup games are all about. It's why there is so much talk of cup magic. Even City and Pepe got caught out.

Some of the comments on here are absolutely, well just plain stupid it's like some of you have only started watching football this season :lol:.
Why do people keep saying the same thing? Yes I know shocks happen in the cup. That’s not my point. The people who criticise Jose and want Poch will look past these results. If Jose drew to Rochdale and Newport they would use it against him. That’s my point.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
People will ignore these results and performances against Newport and Rochdale away but would not do the same for Mourinho. When drooling over other managers like Pochettino people dont seem to realise that results like these happen. Draws to Rochdale and Newport would be used against Mourinho. The same will not be done for Pochettino. If you cannot see that I don't know what to say.
Alright, you think there'd be a witch hunt against Mourinho, and I don't think there would be. Whatever.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Jose gets more flack because he is arguably the most successful club manager there has been, also he isn't a very likeable chap and also he managing arguabley the biggest club in the world, of course he will get it in the neck.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why do people keep saying the same thing? Yes I know shocks happen in the cup. That’s not my point. The people who criticise Jose and want Poch will look past these results. If Jose drew to Rochdale and Newport they would use it against him. That’s my point.
See my last post.

ivaldo

Criticism is fine. Criticism based on Rochdale being "camped in" the Spurs half is just pathetic.
Yeah, that's it. Ignore the rest of the post where you got it completely wrong. Gone back and re-read yet? You still seem to be pretending the entire first leg didn't exist either. No surprise there.

haram

Jose gets more flack because he is arguably the most successful club manager there has been, also he isn't a very likeable chap and also he managing arguabley the biggest club in the world, of course he will get it in the neck.
So Poch can get away with results like this and Mourinho cant. So the grass isn't really greener is it? This is the point I am making to those who are clamouring for Pochettino.

Apparantly in the minds of some people, draws to Rochdale and Newport did not happen. It will be wiped from their memory.

Spurs are below us in the league for a reason. People have no perspective.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So Poch can get away with results like this and Mourinho cant. So the grass isn't really greener is it? This is the point I am making to those who are clamouring for Pochettino.
Jose gets away with it too a hard day in the media is hardly a big deal. His name sells papers, I remember Fergie dropping a few clangers in cup games, I'm not clambering for United to get Poch. I don't really know what your trying to say, I agree with you that Poch doesn't get as much stick, but it doesn't make Poch a bad coach, I assure you he is very good having seen how he has transformed us.

haram

Jose gets away with it too a hard day in the media is hardly a big deal. His name sells papers, I remember Fergie dropping a few clangers in cup games, I'm not clambering for United to get Poch. I don't really know what your trying to say, I agree with you that Poch doesn't get as much stick, but it doesn't make Poch a bad coach, I assure you he is very good having seen how he has transformed us.
I am not saying he is a bad coach. He is not better than Jose though, as some United fans actually believe.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I am not saying he is a bad coach. He is not better than Jose though, as some United fans actually believe.
I couldn't say Poch is a better manager, he is a very different coach but I can't argue with what Jose has done in the game. Jose has always worked at the biggest clubs in the land with the biggest budgets in the land. While Poch has worked at smaller clubs that rely more on coaching and player development. Now I'm not saying that he has had it easier because he has always worked in a highly pressurised environment. It's very hard to compare the both, a lot comes down to how a supporter views the sport.

Another way to look at it would be do you think Jose would be doing as well with Spurs as Poch is? I can say for sure that he wouldn't. But likewise could Poch do the United job as well as Jose? Hoesntly I don't know, he has never had that pressure or that level of reasources.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham

Are you effing serious? Spurs were all over them for 85 minutes. They had a 5 minute spell where we went missing because no doubt of the bizarre VAR decisions, but we soon got back on track. You are mental.

haram

I couldn't say Poch is a better manager, he is a very different coach but I can't argue with what Jose has done in the game. Jose has always worked at the biggest clubs in the land with the biggest budgets in the land. While Poch has worked at smaller clubs that rely more on coaching and player development. Now I'm not saying that he has had it easier because he has always worked in a highly pressurised environment. It's very hard to compare the both, a lot comes down to how a supporter views the sport.
That’s fair enough, but the United and Spurs first elevens are pretty even. Last year Jose won 2 trophies and Poch didn’t. Not taking anything away from the way some of the players have developed under Pochettino, but they still have won nothing. He has to take them to the next level.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That’s fair enough, but the United and Spurs first elevens are pretty even. Last year Jose won 2 trophies and Poch didn’t. Not taking anything away from the way some of the players have developed under Pochettino, but they still have won nothing. He has to take them to the next level.
This is where I have an issue with the whole trophy argument. Firstly yes I badly want to win something more than anything but for us right now, continuing in the top 4 is the first priority. That's the sad situation football is in right now. While United and Chelsea could go a season or 2 without it Spurs simply don't have the reasourses or stature to get away with it. I'm measureing our success in how I am seeing us grow, without the backing of an oil giant or the backing of a corrupt nation.

ivaldo

Are you effing serious? Spurs were all over them for 85 minutes. They had a 5 minute spell where we went missing because no doubt of the bizarre VAR decisions, but we soon got back on track. You are mental.
Look when it was posted, it's not difficult. Spurs fans are precious, aren't they? Sky said at half time Rochdale deserve to be level, BT actually used the phrase 'camped in Spurs half'. You certainly did not dominate for 85 minutes.

Last edited:

haram

This is where I have an issue with the whole trophy argument. Firstly yes I badly want to win something more than anything but for us right now, continuing in the top 4 is the first priority. That's the sad situation football is in right now. While United and Chelsea could go a season or 2 without it Spurs simply don't have the reasourses or stature to get away with it. I'm measureing our success in how I am seeing us grow, without the backing of an oil giant or the backing of a corrupt nation.
Mourinho would have won something with this Spurs team. I mean you could still win the FA Cup so lets see.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Mourinho would have won something with this Spurs team. I mean you could still win the FA Cup so lets see.
He maybe would have but let me ask you, do you honestly think he would back or develop youth that Poch was? Too many variables to calculate accurately.

haram

He maybe would have but let me ask you, do you honestly think he would back or develop youth that Poch was? Too many variables to calculate accurately.
Perhaps not. But at the highest level it’s about what you win.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They have the quality of players to win trophies though.
We do but that again is a subjective statement, are we as good as City? Also with Chelsea, United and now Liverpool ther eyou have 4 clubs competing for 3 competitions. If the best squad always won, football wouldn't be why we watch the game. In Europe we have a number of teams with a better team and more importantly more experience.