g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Ban

Burnley was a tricky fixture and Pochettino doesn’t have the luxury that other top teams have with rotation. They can only put out a competitive first eleven week in week out, whereas his rivals can put out two competitive first eleven. Some of there players looked like they needed some rest and with regards to performance, his side was much superior. Burley two goals was very lucky.

Looking at the Liverpool game, Pochettino put on a much more superior performance than Klopp. Klopp had only one plan and it was nullified easily. Whereas Pochettino, delivered one of the best attacking display against United in a long time. It is no wonder that De Gea sealed his shoe, put that it on display in his trophy room.
I knew you'd come out with that kind of excuse. You didn't disappoint.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Burnley was a tricky fixture and Pochettino doesn’t have the luxury that other top teams have with rotation. They can only put out a competitive first eleven week in week out, whereas his rivals can put out two competitive first eleven. Some of there players looked like they needed some rest and with regards to performance, his side was much superior. Burley two goals was very lucky.

Looking at the Liverpool game, Pochettino put on a much more superior performance than Klopp. Klopp had only one plan and it was nullified easily. Whereas Pochettino, delivered one of the best attacking display against United in a long time. It is no wonder that De Gea sealed his shoe, put that it on display in his trophy room.
:lol:

And De Gea has actual medals to put in his trophy room, you don't need to worry about that.

Maybe Spurs should make a DVD of the best attacking display against United in a long time. They can call it "The Best Attacking Display v Man Utd in a Long Time: points gained - 0"

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I knew you'd come out with that kind of excuse. You didn't disappoint.
Do we even have to excuse a manager for losing the odd game now?

This is the Premier League. Away games to sides fighting for survival are tough, we were on an excellent run but eventually lost, it happens in football. I really don't see why any defence of Pochettino (whose team sits comfortably third and with a big opportunity to make a CL quarter) is even necessary.

Poch took a risk in going for broke at the end and it didn't come off. It happens, on a number of occasions it has paid off and has led to us having no draws.

Ban

Do we even have to excuse a manager for losing the odd game now?

This is the Premier League. Away games to sides fighting for survival are tough, we were on an excellent run but eventually lost, it happens in football. I really don't see why any defence of Pochettino (whose team sits comfortably third and with a big opportunity to make a CL quarter) is even necessary.

Poch took a risk in going for broke at the end and it didn't come off. It happens, on a number of occasions it has paid off and has led to us having no draws.
Going for a broke, what
If defending him isnt necessary why are you doing it then
All Im saying is whenever he gets close to even be in a fight for the title let alone the title itself some Burnley happens and its always not enough money excuse.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Going for a broke, what
If defending him isnt necessary why are you doing it then
All Im saying is whenever he gets close to even be in a fight for the title let alone the title itself some Burnley happens and its always not enough money excuse.
Because for some reason people make out it's a bigger deal than it is. It shouldn't be necessary but it is because people love blowing stuff out of proportion.

We've got relatively close on a number of occasions and done fine, I think we're simply just a step behind the top two and that will show from time to time. We've been slogging through games for a while so a match like this has been coming, it's not just out of nowhere.

Ban

Because for some reason people make out it's a bigger deal than it is. It shouldn't be necessary but it is because people love blowing stuff out of proportion.

We've got relatively close on a number of occasions and done fine, I think we're simply just a step behind the top two and that will show from time to time. We've been slogging through games for a while so a match like this has been coming, it's not just out of nowhere.
Just mentioning a fact isn't blowing stuff out of proportion.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Just mentioning a fact isn't blowing stuff out of proportion.
What is the fact? That we lose whenever we get close?

It's not really. We've got close loads of times and won, but these occasions aren't remembered because it doesn't suit the narrative.

When we do lose/draw (as most teams do) it's immediately put down to Spursiness or bottling, and that gets tiresome.

Ban

What is the fact? That we lose whenever we get close?

It's not really. We've got close loads of times and won, but these occasions aren't remembered because it doesn't suit the narrative.

When we do lose/draw (as most teams do) it's immediately put down to Spursiness or bottling, and that gets tiresome.
2 times this season Spurs have come close to the top and both times lost immediately.
It's an occurring theme, weather if it's the league or the cups.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
2 times this season Spurs have come close to the top and both times lost immediately.
It's an occurring theme, weather if it's the league or the cups.
We've had loads of occasions where we've gone close to the top. We went 2nd after a big win over Bournemouth for example and I believe that's the closest we've been all season. It's just that the ones where we lose are remembered because well .. narrative, it's basically punishing Pochettino for daring to be up there.

I won't pretend we haven't had a few disappointing cup exits, it's a legitimate criticism of Pochettino. This season though I give him a pass because of the injury crisis which crippled us for both games, still poor but understandable. Our league form this season has been exceptional though.

Surely there was far more pressure playing at Wembley vs the leaders of the Bundesliga in a CL knockout? If I'm a bottler I'm far more likely to choke under those circumstances than if I'm third and can put some pressure on in a league title race. It doesn't make any sense to me at all, there was never any real pressure on us. Almost everyone has the title race as City vs Liverpool with Spurs as an outsider, and rightfully so.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Dean being punished for having the temerity to be abused by Pochettino.

RasTiaGba

Lost to Crystal Palace who United beat

Lost to Chelsea who United outclassed

Lost to United

el3mel

There's no better opponent to face than Poch when you're in a shite period.

Chelsea in its worst state and had no problem walking the game with clean sheet and 2 goals.

Serial bottler and terrible loser.

Revan

Assumptionman
4 days ago they were in a title fight, now they are in a fight for fourth place. Genius manager.

Irrational.

May I add he's been incredibly lucky with a lot of his recent results. Constantly relying on jammy Son winners. His record is falsely inflated. He doesn't deal well with pressure.

To be fair, I guess Ole hasn't really been under pressure either. He came into this job in a win-win situation. Whether he did well or failed miserably, there would be no expectation or repercussions for him. We as supporters had hit a new low, and anything would be a breath of fresh air after the toxicity Jose brought. Should he stay on, next season would be the true test for him.

Revan

Assumptionman
May I add he's been incredibly lucky with a lot of his recent results. Constantly relying on jammy Son winners. His record is falsely inflated. He doesn't deal well with pressure.

To be fair, I guess Ole hasn't really been under pressure either. He came into this job in a win-win situation. Whether he did well or failed miserably, there would be no expectation or repercussions for him. We as supporters had hit a new low, and anything would be a breath of fresh air after the toxicity Jose brought. Should he stay on, next season would be the true test for him.
Of course Ole had expectations. From the beginning he was clear that he wanted the job permanently, and had he done badly, he wouldn't have got it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Board let Pochettino down big time in the summer, we've coped till now.

What, it's his fault we have to start Davies and Trippier who can barely play football right now? Or play a makeshift midfield because the board didn't want to spend a single penny in the summer? His fault Lloris is doing a casper the friendly ghost impression every week and letting every ball go fecking through him?

We have lots of players not good enough right now and no depth so they play anyway. Alli missing too and we have to turn to Lamela who is the dictionary definition of a headless chicken.

But yeah, let's blame him and call him a bottler and not a winner when he's the only manager in PL history to not be able to bring in a single player in an entire year. Quality stuff lads.

Irrational.

Of course Ole had expectations. From the beginning he was clear that he wanted the job permanently, and had he done badly, he wouldn't have got it.
He may have had expectations for himself, but being realistic did anyone seriously expect him to do as well as he has and be in the running for next United manager? If anyone had mentioned Ole as a potential candidate for the United job full time a couple of months ago they'd have been laughed at. He's a likeable bloke and a United legend, and would've kept his reputation intact regardless.

Next season, the expectations from fans will be much higher and this will bring an added pressure to the job. I hope he keeps it up. This six months has always been a 'free hit' for him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Spurs were never in the title race, they were over achieving being that close to the top.

Their squad is garbage. 1 to 11 they have a good first team, but the fact they chose not to invest this summer and winter put Poch in a losing position. But, at the same time, it's understandable given the overbudget stadium.

Ban

What, it's his fault we have to start Davies and Trippier who can barely play football right now? Or play a makeshift midfield because the board didn't want to spend a single penny in the summer? His fault Lloris is doing a casper the friendly ghost impression every week and letting every ball go fecking through him?

We have lots of players not good enough right now and no depth so they play anyway. Alli missing too and we have to turn to Lamela who is the dictionary definition of a headless chicken.

But yeah, let's blame him and call him a bottler and not a winner when he's the only manager in PL history to not be able to bring in a single player in an entire year. Quality stuff lads.
You go all crazy when you see a bottling or a bottler word.:lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You go all crazy when you see a bottling or a bottler word.:lol:
Because it's pointless. He doesn't have a squad good enough for a title challenge so why is it bottling when we fail to mount a decent title challenge?

Spurs fans who watch this team week in week out know that a number of players are not good enough if we want to compete at that level. We were EXTREMELY vocal about needing investment in the summer (well, most of us) and that's basically been the case.

The bottling line is just a lazy football cliche which is an obstruction to any decent kind of analysis.

el3mel

You were playing a trash Chelsea side today who lost to Bournemouth, City and United by 12 goals without scoring even 1. These excuses don't make sense.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Because it's pointless. He doesn't have a squad good enough for a title challenge so why is it bottling when we fail to mount a decent title challenge?

Spurs fans who watch this team week in week out know that a number of players are not good enough if we want to compete at that level. We were EXTREMELY vocal about needing investment in the summer (well, most of us) and that's basically been the case.

The bottling line is just a lazy football cliche which is an obstruction to any decent kind of analysis.
People on here put expectations on Spurs that no Spurs supporter would put on them and they laugh when they do not live up to the expectations they put on them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You were playing a trash Chelsea side today who lost to Bournemouth, City and United by 12 goals without scoring even 1. These excuses don't make sense.
They also took City to ET last week in a very good performance, and today worked their arses off. Teams can have a few bad results without being trash, you know that right? Chelsea have a number of very good players.

These 'excuses' are simple facts. We were away to a strong side and across a season we're going to have bad patches of form and bad results because we have serious deficiencies in the team. The big weaknesses were exposed once again, just like they were against Burnley who aren't great either. With the team we have available Pochettino is doing well to be 3rd and probably in to a CL quarter final, that's the reality of the situation.

On the whole, we're doing well considering the squad we have.

el3mel

They also took City to ET last week in a very good performance, and today worked their arses off. Teams can have a few bad results without being trash, you know that right? Chelsea have a number of very good players.

These 'excuses' are simple facts. We were away to a strong side and across a season we're going to have bad patches of form and bad results because we have serious deficiencies in the team. The big weaknesses were exposed once again, just like they were against Burnley who aren't great either. With the team we have available Pochettino is doing well to be 3rd and probably in to a CL quarter final, that's the reality of the situation.

And also didn't score a goal in the final, have loads of internal problems as seen with Kepa accident, their fans have been booing their manager and are in a trash form for a long period now.

You're massively downing the state of your team just to defend your manager. Incredible for me tbh.

Your squad in on the same strength as Chelsea and they're in a terrible form recently. There's absolutely no excuse for losing this. You won't face a weaker top 6 team for the rest of the season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
People on here put expectations on Spurs that no Spurs supporter would put on them and they laugh when they do not live up to the expectations they put on them.
It's ridiculous.

Before this season started I said we would be in a top 4 fight with the squad we have. I'm actually surprised at the fact we've mostly been comfortable in the top 4 this season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You cannot argue with the fachts. :D
This form isn't a disaster for Tottenham because they don't have the same expectations of other clubs despite having a solid team.
The worry for them will be how long their bad form continues, a loss against Arsenal and the third place that looked really secure would be in doubt.

Tarrou

is there anyone left who still wants Poch?

I mean its not so much down to what Poch has done for me, but Ole has been unbelievably good

Revan

Assumptionman
You cannot argue with the fachts. :D
This form isn't a disaster for Tottenham because they don't have the same expectations of other clubs despite having a solid team.
The worry for them will be how long their bad form continues, a loss against Arsenal and the third place that looked really secure would be in doubt.
They are already in fight for UCL zone. I said a month back that I don't think that they will be in top 4 come end of the season, they were very very lucky to win 2-3 matches. Let's see how this turns out.

Robertd0803

His comments about Spurs needing a few more years to be proper challengers strike me as him wanting out.

Canagel

you did better with a weaker squad in the Carabao cup semi.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There's no better opponent to face than Poch when you're in a shite period.

Chelsea in its worst state and had no problem walking the game with clean sheet and 2 goals.

Serial bottler and terrible loser.
This is rather worrying, wouldn't want another one of those after Jose

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And also didn't score a goal in the final, have loads of internal problems as seen with Kepa accident, their fans have been booing their manager and are in a trash form for a long period now.

You're massively downing the state of your team just to defend your manager. Incredible for me tbh.

Your squad in on the same strength as Chelsea and they're in a terrible form recently. There's absolutely no excuse for losing this. You won't face a weaker top 6 team for the rest of the season.
Did you watch the game today? They weren't looking a side who have internal problems. They're constantly able to turn it on for these kind of games and they did that today, I don't know why you're trying to act like a loss at Stamford Bridge is some unprecedented embarrassment that no top 4 side could ever experience. They gave a City side who are vastly superior to us a great game last week.

Our team is good, it's top 4 quality. It isn't title challenge quality and that's a fact. Nobody before this season would say you're winning a title with trippier/aurier/davies/rose as your fullbacks and winks/sissoko as your central midfielders, nobody. But now Pochettino is magically expected to make them compete with Liverpool (who spent a fortune) and City, who have a squad worth more than a small country.

We're third in the fecking league, which is absolutely the best you can expect from the squad we have available bar some incredible season. People keep placing stupid expectations on Poch like he's some sort of magician and then stand back and laugh as he has a team 3rd behind two world class managers with superior squads who spend hundreds of millions of pounds like it's going out of fashion.

It's beyond moronic at this point, it's just infantile. The man got no money to spend all year on the squad despite a key player in Dembele leaving, yet he's expected to actually improve on our league position even as the teams around us once more spend huge amounts of money. Are people even remotely aware of how ridiculous that is?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
you did better with a weaker squad in the Carabao cup semi.
No we didn't.

City battered us in the carabao cup but wasted chances. We were very competitive in the first half today, the second half was tight but they got the opening goal and then Trippier killed the game off for them.

el3mel

Did you watch the game today? They weren't looking a side who have internal problems. They're constantly able to turn it on for these kind of games and they did that today, I don't know why you're trying to act like a loss at Stamford Bridge is some unprecedented embarrassment that no top 4 side could ever experience. They gave a City side who are vastly superior to us a great game last week.

Our team is good, it's top 4 quality. It isn't title challenge quality and that's a fact. Nobody before this season would say you're winning a title with trippier/aurier/davies/rose as your fullbacks and winks/sissoko as your central midfielders, nobody. But now Pochettino is magically expected to make them compete with Liverpool (who spent a fortune) and City, who have a squad worth more than a small country.

We're third in the fecking league, which is absolutely the best you can expect from the squad we have available bar some incredible season. People keep placing stupid expectations on Poch like he's some sort of magician and then stand back and laugh as he has a team 3rd behind two world class managers with superior squads who spend hundreds of millions of pounds like it's going out of fashion.

It's beyond moronic at this point, it's just infantile. The man got no money to spend all year on the squad despite a key player in Dembele leaving, yet he's expected to actually improve on our league position even as the teams around us once more spend huge amounts of money. Are people even remotely aware of how ridiculous that is?
Again you're missing the point. No one is asking for you to win the league. As far as I'm concerned no one has said here "He should be winning the league", but at the same time you're heavily downing the state of your team and squad to show him as if he's overachieving, as if losing to Burnley or the worst Chelsea side in years is completely fine for you and it's all thanks to the board and players while the manager has no role in losing against teams inferior or at the same strength as him, while United went there and walked the game with ease a week or so ago.

It looks like every win is thanks to him and every lose is thanks to the board and certain players. Doesn't make any kind of sense.

It's again back the point I mentioned several times here. Spurs only win when no one expect them to win and no pressure on them but once they're favorable to win a certain fixture or have the upper hand in a game, they proceed and lose even if their opponent is passing through its worst period ever. Today isn't an anomaly. It happened a lot previously and shows, again, that the guy can't deal with pressure or expectation.