A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's cute. Deep down you'd convinced yourself Spurs were quietly going to creep up and sneak the title.
:lol: Oh buddy I've been a Spurs fan more than long enough to have almost zero expectations. I honestly was looking at this game and thinking there was a very good chance we'd drop points.

What is cute however is that Liverpool fans honestly do believe, and that makes it much funnier when the Gerrard slip or Karius moment happens, because it's genuine shock and disappointment every single time. Which makes for some delicious scouse flavoured tears, fully expecting some tomorrow.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
:lol: Oh buddy I've been a Spurs fan more than long enough to have almost zero expectations. I honestly was looking at this game and thinking there was a very good chance we'd drop points.

What is cute however is that Liverpool fans honestly do believe, and that makes it much funnier when the Gerrard slip or Karius moment happens, because it's genuine shock and disappointment every single time. Which makes for some delicious scouse flavoured tears, fully expecting some tomorrow.
No, no, they never believe. Or expect. They never chant "We're gonna win the league" in February or have bus parade arrivals to league games. If they don't win it it's just because they're humble underdogs who came up short and never really thought they had a shot.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No, no, they never believe. Or expect. They never chant "We're gonna win the league" in February or have bus parade arrivals to league games. If they don't win it it's just because they're humble underdogs who came up short and never really thought they had a shot.
Yeah but all the 'Now you're gunna believe us, we're gunna win the league!' shite makes it all so much sweeter when they do lose, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Revan

Assumptionman
was all that over a wrongly awarded corner? seems out of character for him
Is it? His players get transformed to thugs every time things don't go that way. A bit like Pep's teams and diving. Not surprised to see him acting as a twat.

Rozski

Well it does prove that he's not flawless clearly. Considering everyone has been criticising Ole for being tactically naive and praising Poch for being a genius, it's ironic that he lost to Burnley after tactical mistakes, whereas we improved against Burnley after Ole's subs and saved a point.
I was coming in here to say this if no one else had. I don’t feel like he’s gotten the same level of scrutiny in this area of the Ole vs Poch debate so it’s good to have it noted when he does make a mistake. Not that it should surprise anyone that any manager isn’t flawless.

Tarrou

Is it? His players get transformed to thugs every time things don't go that way. A bit like Pep's teams and diving. Not surprised to see him acting as a twat.
I was a bit surprised yeah, not that I give a shite really. I've never seen him do that before, have you?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He's usually very calm and collected as a manager, so yes this is out of character regardless of how his team go out on the pitch.

Clearly something was said by Dean which wound him up.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well it does prove that he's not flawless clearly. Considering everyone has been criticising Ole for being tactically naive and praising Poch for being a genius, it's ironic that he lost to Burnley after tactical mistakes, whereas we improved against Burnley after Ole's subs and saved a point.
Common sense would have told us he wasn't flawless, so what proof was needed?

I do find the criticism of his tactics more compelling than going down the route of calling him a bottler though or overly criticising him for a one off incident of bad behaviour.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool

I personally don't see anything wrong with supporting your team even on occasions when fans are overzealous. I mean if you can't support your team during a title race or UCL final what's the point in being a supporter??

People seem scared to openly cheer on their team in fear of "bottling it". Spurs have done an amazing job this season without spending a penny yet doesn't stop people sticking the knife in on a bad result on an very good run. I blame social media, a bad result and you instantly have thousands of rival fans berating you, whist back in the day you only had to worry about getting stick from your work mates or down the pub!

MJJ

I personally don't see anything wrong with supporting your team even on occasions when fans are overzealous. I mean if you can't support your team during a title race or UCL final what's the point in being a supporter??

People seem scared to openly cheer on their team in fear of "bottling it". Spurs have done an amazing job this season without spending a penny yet doesn't stop people sticking the knife in on a bad result on an very good run. I blame social media, a bad result and you instantly have thousands of rival fans berating you, whist back in the day you only had to worry about getting stick from your work mates or down the pub!
This

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

You're perfectly allowed to celebrate however you like, but when you're telling everyone you are going to win the league you're going to get mocked if you lose, simple as that. That's the trade off.

mu4c_20le

I blame a general lack of bollox. Whats the difference between getting stick from your work mates, or anonymous people over the internet that you dont even know?

Marcelinho87

I would like to know what Dean said as Poch was walking away and came back for more while gesturing for Dean to repeat to the camera.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
You're perfectly allowed to celebrate however you like, but when you're telling everyone you are going to win the league you're going to get mocked if you lose, simple as that. That's the trade off.
You did honestly think Spurs were in the title race didn't you? :lol::lol: even at their very best the maximum Tottenham can achieve is top 4. Once Poch goes and tight wad Levy replaces him with some dud we will see who will be laughing.

Have you ever seen your team in a European semi final nevernind an actual final? Nobody really talks about Spurs so I actually don't know.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You did honestly think Spurs were in the title race didn't you? :lol::lol: even at their very best the maximum Tottenham can achieve is top 4. Once Poch goes and tight wad Levy replaces him with some dud we will see who will be laughing.

Have you ever seen your team in a European semi final nevernind an actual final? Nobody really talks about Spurs so I actually don't know.
Touched a nerve? Nah, I said we were massive underdogs for the title race from the start. We were very much outsiders, as we should be with how much we've spent on the team.

You're a bigger club than us who spend far more money and will still probably win nothing. Yeah you got to a final last year and yeah you're in the title race this season, but let's be fair the chances are you'll be the nearly men again, right before Klopp eventually leaves and your board replace him with Gerrard.

lysglimt

Scout
Poch is a really good manager - but as things are now, I will consider it madness to give him the job rather than Solskjaer (if he even wants it)

Tarrou

Poch is a really good manager - but as things are now, I will consider it madness to give him the job rather than Solskjaer (if he even wants it)
I feel the same after initially thinking Poch was the best choice. Not that we need to decide yet, but if we're still going along like this until the end of the reason, why risk changing it again? Madness indeed.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
:lol::lol::lol: That's the best thing I've seen in a while.

Sauldogba

To be fair that confrontation still isn't up there with the way Keane,Butt,Beckham,Stam and Giggs acted towards that ref many moons ago.Now that was embarrassing.

Still,regarding the result,that was so like Tottenham. Get a great win against Dortmund and yet again follow it up with a real stinker of a result.
Or Rooney or Fergie in somewhat "recent" times.
Anyway i really dont know about Poch.
On the one hand hes done a good job with Spuds on a tight budget,while playing good football.
On the other hand he seems like a nearly manager.
Exactly like spurs who are a nearly team who always seem to bottle it when it matters.

Flexdegea

It's like spurs get a nose bleed everytime there is a possibility to seize the initiative.

Poch has and continues to do a wonderful job but these are the exact moments which his critics use to point out that he's not quite in the top rung of managers.

Exactly how i see it.

Top coach but same issue every season.....................opportunity to make a move in league or Europe they fluff their lines. As you say seize the initiative.

Cant deny it.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

Of course any fan would secretly believe they were in the race and pray that results would go their way it’s only natural. The smart thing to do is deny it so that when it falls apart you can always say I never claimed xyz. I can guarantee you Spurs fans are hugely disappointed with the result tonight because you always dream that it might go your way. As an Arsenal fan I can definitely understand that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If he was so sought after then how come Spurs were able to sign him for just £12m?
Because he turned down all of Europes bigges clubs time and again because he wanted to go where he was guranteed playing time to enable him fullfil his potential. That is how he eventually ended up at a Spurs when he chose to leave Ajax. Not for any other reason. He chose that path himself..

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So, as I said, when Spurs signed Eriksen he was not seen as "one of the biggest talents in Europe" … otherwise we could not have signed him for just £12m. Instead, at the age of 21, he was seen as talented young prospect.

Utter nonsense. The cheap fee was because a) he had a year left on his deal b) he wanted to leave and c) he had zero interest in signing for a European giant. It had zilch to do with his stature in world football. Ericksen still left Ajax as one of the highest rated youngsters in all of football

el3mel

Damn it I have just known they had lost. Would have enjoyed making fun of him as usual. :mad:

Toad

I think some people are just going about their opinions on a game by game basis.

Perhaps it's best to assess only at the end of the season and then form an opinion and I'm hoping that the club follows the same approach
It’s like the okie cokey.