A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He has done a great job with Spurs of course but anyone thinking there isnt a lot of negatives, risks and reservations about taking him as the manager is kidding themselves. Any time they get a bit of pressure to really succeed and achieve something, any time they get a chance to get within touching distance, they feck up and bottle it. It's so typical of them. Couldve been within 2 points of City and Liverpool but nobody really thought they'd be there or have a chance.

deadrevelz

One result doesn't really show anything. It's not like SAF never lost to fodder teams.
Well it does prove that he's not flawless clearly. Considering everyone has been criticising Ole for being tactically naive and praising Poch for being a genius, it's ironic that he lost to Burnley after tactical mistakes, whereas we improved against Burnley after Ole's subs and saved a point.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Well it does prove that he's not flawless clearly. Considering everyone has been criticising Ole for being tactically naive and praising Poch for being a genius, it's ironic that he lost to Burnley after tactical mistakes, whereas we improved against Burnley after Ole's subs and saved a point.
I've been pretty critical of Pochettino - moreso than most on here. I think he's a good manager, while others think he's great.

That said, there's not a team in the league that hasn't dropped points to the fodder teams this season, and Poch's reaction to the referee, in my opinion, is justified.

the 3-0 at home to Wolves is more telling to me than this but still, they choke every year
Wolves are quality, though. But yeah, Spurs did crumble in that game.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Everyone?

I think there’s a minority who’d have said that.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
All the overly vocal minority who support Poch, who slated Ole for losing to PSG, need a dose of reality.

Guys like @Amadaeus and @SquishyMcSquish

Squish you're in another thread saying Burnley were organised, so do you not think PSG were organised too when you ravaged Ole for losing to PSG but won't even slate Poch for losing to Burnley in the other threads about it haha :lol::lol:

You sit and talk about tactics whenever it's not 5-0 United but suddenly Spurs lose and it's not tactics it's because Burnley were "pressing like animals".:nono::lol:

Jib

He isn't that good. A bottler and it isn't even him who signed Eriksen or Son.

I don't understand the hype.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
If Jose had the level of meltdown Poch had at full time, the entire Match Of The Day would be based on it.

With bad PR for the club, and it would be worse than anything Jose done to referees at Man Utd, and it could have got Jose sacked. It's outrageous behaviour.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
He isn't that good. A bottler and it isn't even him if who signed Eriksen or Son.

I don't understand his hype.
I know bud. He's linked with James Maddison for 50 million pounds, who isn't even half as good as Eriksen. One was the best player at Ajax, as well as one of the best young talents in Europe at the time, and the other is a guy who barely even stood out in the SPL.

AJ10

Jose would have been assassinated if he did that to the ref.
Ref just stood there, these refs and their selective passion. :lol:

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Pocketiny is short of options tbf.
He looks stressed like he can't handle the pressure

I've never seen any manager claim they're doing a 5 year project to be the new real Madrid like Poch claimed he is doing and pull it off

Poch said this this year, so apparently in 5 years he thinks Spurs will be the new Real Madrid

It's big ambition but the reality is he'll still have won nothing in 4 years and be sacked

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
All the overly vocal minority who support Poch, who slated Ole for losing to PSG, need a dose of reality.

Guys like @Amadaeus and @SquishyMcSquish

Squish you're in another thread saying Burnley were organised, so do you not think PSG were organised too when you ravaged Ole for losing to PSG but won't even slate Poch for losing to Burnley in the other threads about it haha :lol::lol:

You sit and talk about tactics whenever it's not 5-0 United but suddenly Spurs lose and it's not tactics it's because Burnley were "pressing like animals".:nono::lol:
If you bothered to actually read the posts you'll see I blamed our result today on Pochettino's poor tactics.

Burnley's organisation/pressing was good and that's part of why we lost, but Poch goofed up towards the end by throwing too many attackers in and switching the formation.

Maybe chill out on so many laughing smilies and hahas and instead actually read what I'm writing instead of making dumb assumptions.

ReddBalls

So, as I said, when Spurs signed Eriksen he was not seen as "one of the biggest talents in Europe" … otherwise we could not have signed him for just £12m. Instead, at the age of 21, he was seen as talented young prospect.

This also means that, again contrary to the claims made, Eriksen is yet another player who has improved under Pochettino, who arrived at Spurs only a year later than Eriksen.
Well, Eriksen actually trained with Barcelona, Chelsea and Milan before signing with Ajax. He chose Ajax because they have a reputation for developing talents and would give him minutes in the first team. It's not totally unthinkable that this also was his train of thought when he chose Spurs. Now he is what? 27? That's a rather perfect age to go to one of the big clubs.

Reactions: Penna

AJ10

He looks stressed like he can't handle the pressure

I've never seen any manager claim they're doing a 5 year project to be the new real Madrid like Poch claimed he is doing and pull it off

Poch said this this year, so apparently in 5 years he thinks Spurs will be the new Real Madrid

It's big ambition but the reality is he'll still have won nothing in 4 years and be sacked
He actually said that? :lol::lol::lol:

There is absolutely no pressure on him at spurs, media will never take him apart just like the weatherman. He's in a position where he can continue to do the bare minimum and get recognised as a great manager while winning nothing.

He's done a good job at spurs (credit where its due) but the crazy love in he gets is over the top for someone who hasn't won anything with some of the players he has at his disposal.

Gasolin

I hope this turns out to be a perfect week for us. Hopefully that puts the Pochettino story a bit in stand by for now.