A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

fallengt

No biggie. Poch still hasn't won anything.
Ole is going to win the World cup for United.

Glad they got through but that was no masterclass. His subs nearly fecked the whole thing and if it weren't for a hairs width of an offside they'd be throwing away a 3 goal cushion tonight.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Think they got away with it. Surprised that this is being seen as a managerial win for Poch. Decision to put Llorente on and got with a front five of Llorente, Alli, Eriksen, Son and Moura almost cost them. They should have been well buried as they conceded a lot of good chances. All champions get lucky at some point though.
To do what he did with such a thin squad and no Kane is brilliant. Look at his bench compared to city’s... remarkable!

Untd55

What makes this accomplishment better is that he made zero signings. Sign of an absolutely quality manager.

FujiVice

He's been given no money to spend. His wage bill is the lowest out of the top 6. His £100m rated goalscorer is out for the season. And he just done City in the Quarters. Its laughable when people give him shit where Spurs being "bottlers." He does such an incredible job with them.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Who then scores the goal to send them through.. yeah no credit to Poch whatsoever.
It hit his hip and went in. He was a passenger for most of the time he was on. Easy to say great decision in hindsight, but consensus was that Poch needed to sub the sub and take Llorente off to get some foothold again.

passing-wind

I don't buy into spurs fans nonsense about him coming here he was openly flirting with the idea of it mentioning the Barcelona nou camp comments and never openly rejecting the idea.

Either way we have to persist with Ole, either he moves us forward or will be shown the door we have far bigger problems stemming down to the structure of the club. Back on Poch, is a world class manager for me irrespective of tonight's results he's very competitive in every regard despite spurs being skint. We have seen Pep leave Bayern due to them not investing in the squad, Klopp was very muted without massive investment in the squad, Poch has had the least amount of finances spent in the top six but this spurs squad look just as competent as anyone in world football.

Absolutely p1ssed we have idiots running the club

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
This night may very well prove to be a huge milestone in his career, the type where you level up as a player/manager. Done an outstanding job at Spurs, so deserves all the praise.

Also, we can learn a lot from how Spurs conduct their business. They’ve leapfrogged us whilst spending nothing, due to one insufferable prick on here plenty hate Spurs but as a club there is plenty to be admired. I think they’ll match up quite well v Ajax and are just the type of team they’ll struggle against.

Canagel

It is best to close all Spurs thread on redcafe for the time being because there will be a lot of gloating. Pochettino with this win has surpassed Guardiola has one of the best manager in current football.
you didn't dissapoint :lol:

Nuts

Amazing achievement after a summer of £0 spent.

And all while playing at wembley and now moving stadium.

Shame we didn’t get him - he totally deserves a top job. Or, to stay at Spurs and enjoy a new era there. Very impressive.

binary bot
Still unproven for me. He can reach all the finals and semi finals in the world but until he gets that all important win in a match that really matters - the final of the Carabao cup - then he will remain a lesser manager that greats such as Harry Redknapp and Roberto Martinez.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If it wasn’t for VAR, the tone in this thread would be so different. Var deserve some credit :lol:.

Is there a way for this Spurs team to get worst if they actually spend money on their team? It was clear that city had the superior team, but if Spurs spent like their other rivals would their performance improve that much? The answer is yes and another example why Pochettino is s great manager.

Ban

Congrats to him. Incredible achievement. With a bit of luck but you have to have that.

And we're stuck with a Molde manager..

tomaldinho1

Honestly, taking a step back this is such a big achievement for Pochettino and such a failure for Pep.

One is operating in the absolute optimum conditions, literally I don't think any manager has had such a cushty seat as Pep and the other is competing with the same budget as the likes of Wolves and Everton.

R'hllor

In the blue corner____________

In the red corner ____________

Not sure who will annoy more :lol:

Member 115509

Apparently not ...
Fair point, have to agree, maybe tonight was the night they "arrived". I was pleased Spurs won anyway, the semi with Ajax is going to be very interesting. Hopefully be two good games to watch, should be, both teams play nice football.
Goes without saying I'd love to see Spurs beat Liverpool in the final, but, in saying that I'd much rather Liverpool didn't get there in the first place.

RedDevil@84

What a manager. Controlled the VAR screens and everything by just standing there in his all black.

Vadim

Before we all get silly and start asking for Poch at United...

How about - he never wanted and doesn’t want to manage Utd? We’re in a mess. He apparently loves living in London. He’s worshipped by Spurs fans.

Think about that before abusing Ole.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s objectively a better manager than Ole. There’s no arguing that. So is Mourinho for all it was worth to us.

RedDevil@84

How about - he never wanted and doesn’t want to manage Utd? We’re in a mess. He apparently loves living in London. He’s worshipped by Spurs fans.
Never happened. Everyone is dying to come to us.
The Sun is never wrong

Infra-red

Very good manager. Knows how to build a team and how sustain consistently high levels of performance with minimal investment.

If he ends up lifting big ears next month, he'll have his pick of jobs when he eventually leaves Spurs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Still unproven for me. He can reach all the finals and semi finals in the world but until he gets that all important win in a match that really matters - the final of the Carabao cup - then he will remain a lesser manager that greats such as Harry Redknapp and Roberto Martinez.
Insane view

Eddy_JukeZ

He's a great manager at maximizing a team and building it.

Still have some concerns over him, but he pulled off a huge result.

binary bot
Insane view
I should've made it more obvious to be honest but it was taking the piss out of the people that put weight in winning the league cup as a potential indicator of managerial ability over having a team competing with the best teams in Europe.

Castia

People still using the ‘until he wins a trophy’ argument? If he gets Spurs to the final that’s 10 times more of an accomplishment than City winning it with their squad and resources.

World class manager

George The Best

Before we all get silly and start asking for Poch at United...

Think about that before abusing Ole.
Source?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I should've made it more obvious to be honest but it was taking the piss out of the people that put weight in winning the league cup as a potential indicator of managerial ability over having a team competing with the best teams in Europe.
It was pretty obvious to be fair. @balaks can be excused for it given that he's probably still a bit teary eyed!