A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I should've made it more obvious to be honest but it was taking the piss out of the people that put weight in winning the league cup as a potential indicator of managerial ability over having a team competing with the best teams in Europe.
AHH sorry for not picking up on that! It is the sort of nonsense some folk do actually post though.

Some of you guys are wild, Pochs success with Spurs didn't happen over night he's been there about 5 years now.

Chairman Steve

Yeah he’s a good manager for Spurs of course. It doesn’t mean he’d be the same at any other club and maybe he knows that. It might be a reason why the likes of Sir Alex and Wenger never left Utd or Arsenal.

It’s fallen very nicely for him at Spurs. He’s essentially gained power in his time there as a technical director left the club and he became manager instead of first team head coach. With Kane he doesn’t have to worry about buying a striker who’ll get the goals like other clubs and their respective managers do. All he has to do is build the team around him.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Some of you guys are wild, Pochs success with Spurs didn't happen over night he's been there about 5 years now.
Right but apparently that same grace period can't be afforded to Ole and thus all this success is used against him as well as bigging up Poch.

BaseFishing

All this 0 pounds spent stuff. He has a quality quality team.
He *built a quality team. Don't forget Son was not what he was when they bought him, there was very little hype there, just a solid player from the Bundesliga. Sissoko was seen as laughing stock and people were amazed that Spurs paid £30m for him. Dele Alli came in from MK Dons. Lucas Moura was not a starter at PSG. Trippier was second in the pecking order to Walker. Alderweirald came in from Southampton. Kane had just come through with his good form in the Europa League the previous season. Wanyama, while linked with some of the bigger clubs, was still as an uncertain young player.

When looking at this Spurs team I see a masterfully crafted set of players. If I had the budget that Poch has had I don't even think I'd be able to replicate this on Football Manager (admittedly I'm not that good, but still, it's saying a lot cause it's so easy on that game to craft a good squad).

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Although he is a fantastic manager, tonight he abided by Napoleon’s old aphorism about wanting a lucky general over a good one every time.

The decision to bring on Llorente was poor (witness how KDB took over the midfield completely after Sissoko got injured), but it was the winning one...

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Right but apparently that same grace period can't be afforded to Ole and thus all this success is used against him as well as bigging up Poch.
That's not the point most people on here were trying to make. Of course Ole will get the time and multiple transfer windows to get things right.

We are in dire need of a rebuilding job, that much is obvious. Another obvious thing is that we have some talented players in the squad but we can't get a fine tune out of them.

And there is a manager in the PL who has been doing these two things in England, right in front of our eyes, since 2013. There are no guarantees in football, two CL winners who failed are enough proof of that, but according to some United fans on the Caf, Poch seemed to be a very plausible appointment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Although he is a fantastic manager, tonight he abided by Napoleon’s old aphorism about wanting a lucky general over a good one every time.

The decision to bring on Llorente was poor (witness how KDB took over the midfield completely after Sissoko got injured), but it was the winning one...
Teams with scarce resources tend to have to turn to players like Llorente though. I'm sure if he had the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez on his bench he'd happily throw them on but Spurs' relative lack of resources limits his options.

RooneyLegend

Isn't it funny how his great achievements get outdone by someone else in a worse situation. It was first Ranieri and now the Ajax coach.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He *built a quality team. Don't forget Son was not what he was when they bought him, there was very little hype there, just a solid player from the Bundesliga. Sissoko was seen as laughing stock and people were amazed that Spurs paid £30m for him. Dele Alli came in from MK Dons. Lucas Moura was not a starter at PSG. Trippier was second in the pecking order to Walker. Alderweirald came in from Southampton. Kane had just come through with his good form in the Europa League the previous season. Wanyama, while linked with some of the bigger clubs, was still as an uncertain young player.

When looking at this Spurs team I see a masterfully crafted set of players. If I had the budget that Poch has had I don't even think I'd be able to replicate this on Football Manager (admittedly I'm not that good, but still, it's saying a lot cause it's so easy on that game to craft a good squad).
Maybe. How much is him and how much is down to others, is impossible to say. He must have a very good coaching team, either way.

stnrlgc

Very good point here that stability has some value. Some teams run through managers so quickly that personnel and tactics easily become incompatible, a good player in the wrong system becomes a shit player. I guess it make the managerial choice all the more important.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Teams with scarce resources tend to have to turn to players like Llorente though. I'm sure if he had the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez on his bench he'd happily throw them on but Spurs' relative lack of resources limits his options.
The system he had started with was working well. He should’ve put on Sánchez or Davies and let Vertonghen play midfield, but it matters not a jot as they won, and I’m hardly a football manager!

spiriticon

He's a great manager tied to a long term contract at Spurs.

All this summer talk was nothing more than a tabloid dream. Let him run his contract down a little more and we'll have another look.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Sanity prevails.

Mr PG

Anybody who honestly thinks any coach would have done better than Ole since his appointment is kidding himself. Our squad needs work..period.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Fair point, have to agree, maybe tonight was the night they "arrived". I was pleased Spurs won anyway, the semi with Ajax is going to be very interesting. Hopefully be two good games to watch, should be, both teams play nice football.
Goes without saying I'd love to see Spurs beat Liverpool in the final, but, in saying that I'd much rather Liverpool didn't get there in the first place.
It's gracious of you to say so. Thanks.

Ace of Spades

What success ?? How about he wins something first, before calling him the best or whatever. This was literally the same as Ole with PSG.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What success ?? How about he wins something first, before calling him the best or whatever. This was literally the same as Ole with PSG.
Hardly. First it was the QFs, not the previous round. Second, it was against a team that have been widely tagged as being the best in the world.

mu4c_20le

Anybody who honestly thinks any coach would have done better than Ole since his appointment is kidding himself. Our squad needs work..period.
We should give Ole the time he needs to build his squad and instill his philosophy. We cant be looking to poach other managers as soon as they start seeing some success, we're not Chelsea.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Without wishing to bring the wrong wine to the cheese room, objectively, City were the better team over both games and Spurs have been fortunate to go through.

Let’s see how Pochettino sets up his team against Ajax.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

That’s a bit of an obtuse view. Who scored the winning goal for us? Many teams give up the ball and try to hit on the break, one of Pochs criticisms is in game changes not working, it worked tonight.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Without wishing to bring the wrong wine to the cheese room, objectively, City were the better team over both games and Spurs have been fortunate to go through.

If the best team always won, football would be fecking boring. Winning is winning, I’m pretty bored of being the *better team*.

cyberman

This run has come at the wrong time IMO. Now four of their final 5 games are sandwiched around a CL semi final with a. Threadbare squad.
Drop points v a hurting City side this weekend and they could be in trouble for top 4

Oscar.Z.Acosta

If the best team always won, football would be fecking boring. Winning is winning, I’m pretty bored of being the *better team*.
That’s a fair enough view when you haven’t won many titles, but one must always acknowledge luck when she smiles upon you. Ultimately it’s a moot point as you now have 2 amazing games against Ajax to look forward to - I’m jealous!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This run has come at the wrong time IMO. Now four of their final 5 games are sandwiched around a CL semi final with a. Threadbare squad.
Drop points v a hurting City side this weekend and they could be in trouble for top 4
After City this weekend, we should win most, I’m sure we’re at home for most too. Please, please don’t piss on our parade :(.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

:lol:
In the first leg Spurs was the better team, in the second leg Manchester City was the more dominant and better team, but Pochettino won the tactical battle.

Name any other team that could score 3 goals at this city team home? The fact that Spurs scores three at City home in this form and in such a competitive environment is a big accomplishment and only perhaps Barcelona or maybe Liverpool could have done this.

Poch will be without a lot of key players, so it will be interesting to see how they will set up.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That’s a fair enough view when you haven’t won many titles, but one must always acknowledge luck when she smiles upon you. Ultimately it’s a moot point as you now have 2 amazing games against Ajax to look forward to - I’m jealous!
Yeah I understand this is a United forum, so fair enough but as a Spurs fan we have been the better side in quite a few games throughout the years only to get beat. I remember plenty of games where United were second best but yet won and to be honest I love them for it. As per the norm we are getting credit but there is very few media outlets stating the money difference between us and City.