A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Ole took over a Molde that in the five seasons before him had finished 14th (relegated), 1st (in second tier), 9th, 2nd and finally 11th, and you claimed he took over a "top team" and refused to accept that they could be labeled a mid-table club (because clearly that 2nd place finish represented the norm, and all the shite finishes surrounding it were the outliers). Now you claim Poch, who took over a team that had qualified for Europe five seasons running and were very much top 4 challengers, took over a mid-table team.

You know how to twist the truth to suit your narrative, I'll give you that.
Molde has always been recognized as one of the bigger clubs in Norway in the past few decade. That 2nd place finish is indicative that they were capable of winning the league. Regardless, managing in the Norwegian league and in an elite league is completely different and something that I would not try and compare with regards to potential success of managers coming from similar league. Poch took over a team that struggled to get into champions league and had some mental issues when competing against top teams. I believe at that time Arsenal fans would mock them often because they didn’t see them as a threat. Now the story is different and Spurs has been in champions league, not mid table Europa league more often than not. While also stabilizing their financial and playing attractive football. Only those who don’t understand football do not see the improvement pochettino has made to this Spurs side.

Expecting Spurs to beat City tonight then lose to them in the league. Pep goes ape shit in the CL latter stages for some reason, starts tinkering with his lineup and formation for no reason.
Without Kane or Ali? I doubt it unless Manchester City shite themselves. Manchester City are the favorite and like Barcelona are a different beast at home. If Spurs had a two goal led, they had a chance, but a one goal led is easy for a team like Manchester city under the best manager in football today, Pep Guardiola to turn around

mu4c_20le

Expecting Spurs to beat City tonight then lose to them in the league. Pep goes ape shit in the CL latter stages for some reason, starts tinkering with his lineup and formation for no reason.
I'm actually expecting the opposite.. right now when predicting football, i just try to imagine the worst scenario for united fans, it usually comes true

Kemizee

Maybe so, but the point is that he wasn't available (it's very likely that United would have sounded him out about the job and been knocked back, not surprisingly, since he has a lot going for him at Spurs and has consistently talked about his commitment to the long-term project with us) … so United's options were limited.

Having said that, it was silly of United not at least wait until the summer - to see who else might be available - before offering Ole the job on a permanent basis. There was no need to do so .... and now the other options are closed off, unless United are going to sack their 4th manager in 6 seasons.
Not really silly considering how he started and how he revived United again. The question before the last seven(7) games was how anyone not named Ole would cope if they didn't perform as well as he did and how the fans would turn on them quickly considering Ole had done a fantastic job.

I don't blame the board either. OGS made it difficult for them to give it to anyone else but him.

Ole will be a great manager for us in my view but the board need to really be supportive of him in terms of purchases required and the clear out he intends to carry out.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Not really silly considering how he started and how he revived United again. The question before the last seven(7) games was how anyone not named Ole would cope if they didn't perform as well as he did and how the fans would turn on them quickly considering Ole had done a fantastic job.

I don't blame the board either. OGS made it difficult for them to give it to anyone else but him.

Ole will be a great manager for us in my view but the board need to really be supportive of him in terms of purchases required and the clear out he intends to carry out.
But what would have been lost by waiting until the summer before deciding? It's not as if Ole would have been poached away elsewhere in the meantime.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I would love if Spurs win today but i think that City will beat them. In first half already. City at home is scary

Kemizee

But what would have been lost by waiting until the summer before deciding? It's not as if Ole would have been poached away elsewhere in the meantime.
Can't say for real but I have heard many here say it was done then to pacify players who refused to commit and generally give the squad/club/fans a fair degree of assurance amidst the lingering anxiety about who next the manager would be.

I personally believe they could have waited as well but I don't know the how the preparations for pre-season go and at what time it is late to install a new man

Amadaeus

It is best to close all Spurs thread on redcafe for the time being because there will be a lot of gloating. Pochettino with this win has surpassed Guardiola has one of the best manager in current football.

TsuWave

did it without Kane, Dier etc.

but people rather go with "know what United is about" and "puts smiles back on faces"

el3mel

Magnificent achievement from him tbf. Maybe his supporters had point after all.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Can see Spurs getting smashed in the league on Sunday now though, which is great for us, as long as we win of course!
This win is less down to the manager and tactics and more down to desire of the players, which in turn is partly down to the manager, if you get what I mean.
Fair play to spurs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
God, I wish we had brought him in after Fergie back when he was at Soton. Or after Moyes. Or after van Gaal. Or after José.

Still hope to see him here one day. Was my first choice after Fergie and still is.

shaky

He probably wouldn't leave Spurs after this anyway so it's barely worth arguing over.

AshRK

Brilliant job. I seriously hope barca beats pool or we might have klopp spurs final. Although would love to see klopp losing one more final this time at the expense of spurs. Spurs winning cl would be funny.

Varun

Staff
It is best to close all Spurs thread on redcafe for the time being because there will be a lot of gloating. Pochettino with this win has surpassed Guardiola has one of the best manager in current football.
:lol:

Amadaeus

Can anyone compare both squad? Spurs and Manchester City? I understand Pochettino was up against Guardiola, but it still has to be said that the difference in quality in both team was huge. De bryune played like Messi today and I m surprised how City didn’t go through...However, this will be somewhat meaningless if they go out to Ajax next round.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Amazing work from Poch, hopefully one of Spurs or Ajax win it. A true underdog story.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Looks like we missed out if he ever wanted to come here. We should have waited until the end of the season.

MancunianBIue

Supports
Manchester Ciy
He didnt even have Harry Kane. Generational manager, best in business and it's not even close.

Glad hes not at United want him at City in next 2 years when Pep inevitably decides to leave. Hope spurs win the thing now.

Mister_Stubbs

Should have approached him when we had the chance. Now we are stuck with Ole whilst this lad is heading to the champions league final potentially. Well done board.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think they got away with it. Surprised that this is being seen as a managerial win for Poch. Decision to put Llorente on and got with a front five of Llorente, Alli, Eriksen, Son and Moura almost cost them. They should have been well buried as they conceded a lot of good chances. All champions get lucky at some point though.

Vadim

Would like Spurs to win it. Even with our resident @GlastonSpur being insufferable. They’re a likeable team with a likeable manager.

Mister_Stubbs

Think they got away with it. Surprised that this is being seen as a managerial win for Poch. Decision to put Llorente on and got with a front five of Llorente, Alli, Eriksen, Son and Moura almost cost them. They should have been well buried as they conceded a lot of good chances. All champions get lucky at some point though.
Who then scores the goal to send them through.. yeah no credit to Poch whatsoever.

Sanchez7

World class manager. Spent nothing, gets on with the job and now will play in the semis. Also had the toughest champions league group.

shaky

Looks like we missed out if he ever wanted to come here. We should have waited until the end of the season.
He'd give Spurs another season if they get to the CL final. He'll be a handy option for us at the end of next season if we need it. Works well for everyone.