A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

breakout67

Supports
Man City
All elite manager doesnt need money to show their class. Yes at one point money talks, but most of the household names have been great long before they're trusted with the warchest.
Yes I agree. I have said this before that most top managers are able to overcome a budget. Mourinho, Simeone, SAF, Klopp etc. have all won big titles on a budget.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Spurs were the better side over the two legs, and should have won this. Not sure what else you can ask of him.
They dint win, he needs to win. He can always be almost there manager or he can be a winner. For now he is a manager who can play tidy stuff but has won feck all with spurs.

Canagel

Schooled by Allegri tonight? 2nd half seemed too open when they had a cushion in the tie
Yes. He should've shut up shop in from 60 minutes and sit deep. When Juventus made their subs Spurs lost control of the game and he should've responded straight away with subs.

Donnie Brasco

Wouldn't want this guy anywhere near this club. Just shows how much the football einsteins and hipsters really know.

Attacking football, attacking fluidity, and attacking coaching doesn't mean anything in the end. And nights like this only shows why Allegri and Mourinho are serial winners and Pochettino is a serial looser.

Allegri the pragmatist just like Jose should be the our choice if our current manager leaves.

saeed

Thanks juve for keeping this man for next season in tottenham. Maybe called by edwood in rainy day!

Stacks

Every time Poch gets knocked out of a competition, there is an excuse.
At elite level (pro) sport, excuses count for nothing. Winning is everything.
Until Poch wins, he won't be ready to move to a big club and should remain at Spurs.

This is why Jose is categorised as a serial winner. He understands the concept of winning and knows how to win.

For all the plaudits Spurs and LFC get, they won nothing last season, while Jose won us 2 trophies. Fair player to Pep - this season he stepped his game up.
to be fair I would love to see how he fair at Real. If he translates Spurs attacking impetus, could be a sight

coolredwine

lameredboots
Wouldn't want this guy anywhere near this club. Just shows how much the football einsteins and hipsters really know.

Attacking football, attacking fluidity, and attacking coaching doesn't mean anything in the end. And nights like this only shows why Allegri and Mourinho are serial winners and Pochettino is a serial looser.

Allegri the pragmatist just like Jose should be the our choice if our current manager leaves.
Too harsh. Had the goal gone in for Spurs, things might be different.

He was too passive today, that's it for his criticism.

Revan

Assumptionman
The ultimate almost-manager. Talk of progress will continue for years. As will their absence of trophies.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
An impressive manager to even have Spurs in this position where they're competitive against one of Europe's elite sides in performance terms over the last five years.
They’ve got arguably the best centre forward in the world and were fortunate to have him come through their academy. CL last 16 is the bare minimum they should aspire to. Achieve something soon or players will have their heads turned by bigger wages and the sense of silverware being more of a given elsewhere. You can’t squander a a gift of a genuine world class match winner like Harry Kane.

Kapardin

Yep. Some think Allegri is a bottler because he has lost a couple of CL finals, but I'd say only last year was his fault; the year before that Juve were up against MSN at their peak and could do nothing.

Allegri also schooled Guardiola when Juve beat Bayern over 2 legs. He's tactically one of the best managers in the world. Hopefully Jose stays with us for awhile but otherwise, he's the right choice for us.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Lose beautifully or win ugly

Yes. He should've shut up shop in from 60 minutes and sit deep. When Juventus made their subs Spurs lost control of the game and he should've responded straight away with subs.
Yes i agree. Sometimes you just have to shut up shop.

Juve needs to score 2 and they need to commit more, going attacking will only make it easier for them since they have nothing to lose at 1-0.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
They’ve got arguably the best centre forward in the world and were fortunate to have him come through their academy. CL last 16 is the bare minimum they should aspire to
Look where they were before he arrived. Look where they are now.

He's been great for them. Plays an attractive style of football and he might be found out if he goes to a bigger club, but I don't see how anyone can give him anything but 10/10 for his job at spurs.

Donnie Brasco

Every time Poch gets knocked out of a competition, there is an excuse.
At elite level (pro) sport, excuses count for nothing. Winning is everything.
Until Poch wins, he won't be ready to move to a big club and should remain at Spurs.

This is why Jose is categorised as a serial winner. He understands the concept of winning and knows how to win.

For all the plaudits Spurs and LFC get, they won nothing last season, while Jose won us 2 trophies. Fair player to Pep - this season he stepped his game up.
Most of our fans make up every excuse in the book so they can defend their Messiah and second Fergie, Pochettino but at the same time underrate and downplay every achievement we make with Jose. It's something very bizarre.

But attacking football so pundits, journalists and memes pages love you are more important it seems.:rolleyes:

el3mel

Said it previously when a thread about Mourinho successor was made. Allegri, with any flaws he has is my preferred choice after Mourinho finishes his reign here. He'll build on what Mourinho will leave and won't change much, and he's a winner.

haram

If you do not see what is wrong with the way they threw the game away today I’m baffled. This is the difference between being good and being a winner.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep. Some think Allegri is a bottler because he has lost a couple of CL finals, but I'd say only last year was his fault; the year before that Juve were up against MSN at their peak and could do nothing.

Allegri also schooled Guardiola when Juve beat Bayern over 2 legs. He's tactically one of the best managers in the world. Hopefully Jose stays with us for awhile but otherwise, he's the right choice for us.
Don't remember that happening, to be fair. Juve were winning at some stage, but then Bayern scored a few goals in the end and won the clash.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Cmon ladies and gents, Pochettino gets credit because he's doing it with Spurs, but he also can't be criticized because he's doing it with Spurs.

At least that's how the propaganda regarding Pochettino is on here.

Kapardin

Don't remember that happening, to be fair. Juve were winning at some stage, but then Bayern scored a few goals in the end and won the clash.
Oops, my bad, sorry. Memory is fading. It was Allegri who messed up.:lol:

No issues, think I remember now. He showed he could go toe to toe with Guardiola atleast, and fecked up by subbing off Cuadrado.

Ainu

He should've managed the game a bit better in the second half. He didn't react to Juve's changes and didn't do enough when it was looking desparate for them. It's something he'll have to learn if he wants to succeed at this level. A certain measure of pragmatism is a necessity, unless you're lucky enough to manage a vastly superior side. I'm not going to lambast him for it though. He's still relatively new at this level and he'll have time to improve in that area. I believe he's continued to show improvement year after year so there's still every chance he'll make it as a top manager.

ti vu

He's been great for them. Plays an attractive style of football and he might be found out if he goes to a bigger club, but I don't see how anyone can give him anything but 10/10 for his job at spurs.
We had been there before. Play attractive football is secondary. Winning is the priority at top club. Sure playing pragmatic would put pressure on you, and test your mentality prowess when it doesn't come through. However, putting the style ahead of result is pure excuse. Wenger did it years ago (after actually winning things) and look at the end result.

Revan

Assumptionman

No issues, think I remember now. He showed he could go toe to toe with Guardiola atleast, and fecked up by subbing off Cuadrado.
So did Sir David of Moyes, to be fair.

Borden

I'd bet my life that the same people using this game as evidence that Poch isn't a 'winner' will be the same people making excuses for Mourinho if we crash out in similar fashion against Sevilla next week.

Pochettino set Spurs up to dominate Juventus, and they did. They should have won this tie comfortably, so he's done his job. Maybe he could have made some tactical decisions differently, but Spurs still should have won this game comfortably. Which in itself is quite an achievement.

Bobski

Cmon ladies and gents, Pochettino gets credit because he's doing it with Spurs, but he also can't be criticized because he's doing it with Spurs.

At least that's how the propaganda regarding Pochettino is on here.
Not entirely fair.

I think he deserves plenty of criticism for how he handled that second half, the lack of response and alternative plan. They looked very naive when they could not just steam over the opponent physically. At the same time though their performances over the course of the season do deserve praise. I don't think they have an outstanding squad, 4-5 high quality guys surrounded by workhorses and changeable pieces. People give Poch credit because they seem to perform beyond their base talent level. That is one mark of very good coaching.

I think he will get his chance at an elite club, different challenge, more egos and a harsher judgement.

Ban

All good but ultimately either him or his star players will leave if they don't win anything.

I know it's being repeated but it's true imo.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'd bet my life that the same people using this game as evidence that Poch isn't a 'winner' will be the same people making excuses for Mourinho if we crash out in similar fashion against Sevilla next week.

Pochettino set Spurs up to dominate Juventus, and they did. They should have won this tie comfortably, so he's done his job. Maybe he could have made some tactical decisions differently, but Spurs still should have won this game comfortably. Which in itself is quite an achievement.
Although I agree with you, I feel the game won't have gone completely away from him if he reacted sooner.
I agree a lot of people using this game to knock Poch will look silly if we get KO by a much inferior team next week.

evil_geko

There are no "excuses", Spurs were simply better and should have won, those are objective facts.

Poch has done his job.

ti vu

From tactical point of view Allegri did school Pep in that tie. Allegri was his own enemy. For some weird reason, his teams did worse when they're in comfortable position. Milan losing title to Juve, got thrashed by Barcelona at Nou Camp, losing final after did fairly well in first halves, and this Juve- Bayern tie. In this Juve-Bayern tie first leg, he changed the game around in the second half after being blown out of water. Pep team is known to have quality A game and relying on players' quality. However, in term of punching above weight via tactical change, it's clear Allegri has the edge.

Last edited:

AR87

The difference being Mourinho has plenty of titles on his CV already. Poch doesn't.

Idc about the "winner" talk. What he's done at Spurs is excellent and he deserves major credit. That said he hasn't won a single piece of silverware and he reacted far too slow to Allegri's substitutions which cost Tottenham. The 2nd goal in particular is extremely naive with how high they played their line. He still has alot more to prove before being put on the same level as a manager like Mourinho who has won the CL with Porto and Inter and won league titles in Portugal, England, Italy and Spain.

Kapardin

From tactical point of view Allegri did school Pep in that tie. Allegri was his own enemy. For some weird reason, his teams did worse when they're in comfortable position. Milan losing title to Juve, got thrashed by Barcelona at Nou Camp, losing final after did fairly well in first halves, and this Juve- Bayern tie. In this Juve-Bayern tie first leg, he changed the game around in the second half after being blown out of water. Pep team is known to have quality A game and relying on players' quality. However, in term of punching above wave via tactical change, it's clear Allegri has the edge.
Yes, I remembered Allegri being impressive early on and dwelled on it so much that I actually forgot it was Juve who lost the tie. But certainly, it was more of a silly error by Allegri than being tactically outclassed which knocked Juve out.

Regarding Poch, he's a good manager for what he's done with Spurs. But he needs to prove he's not just a slightly better version of Brendan Rodgers by taking domestic cups seriously as a starter. Saying "I don't need to win a trophy" in defiance doesn't send a good message to the squad.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
At halftime there was a mini wank-fest over Poch, insinuating he should be the next United manager.

He's a good manager, no doubt about that, but he's won nothing.

A United manager needs to know what it's like to be in the crunch games and have come out victorious, they need experience of winning things. I have no doubt he will win something in the future, but until that time comes, he's not a United manager.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's like early Wenger with none of the trophies. Attractive to watch despite some theatrics and so much promise but always limps out.