A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Ban

Although I agree with you, I feel the game won't have gone completely away from him if he reacted sooner.
I agree a lot of people using this game to knock Poch will look silly if we get KO by a much inferior team next week.
We shouldn't knock our darling Pochettino I guess.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not entirely fair.

I think he deserves plenty of criticism for how he handled that second half, the lack of response and alternative plan. They looked very naive when they could not just steam over the opponent physically. At the same time though their performances over the course of the season do deserve praise. I don't think they have an outstanding squad, 4-5 high quality guys surrounded by workhorses and changeable pieces. People give Poch credit because they seem to perform beyond their base talent level. That is one mark of very good coaching.

I think he will get his chance at an elite club, different challenge, more egos and a harsher judgement.
I agree with everything you've said. But there is a significant portion on here that are convinced he's a special manager. They slag off managers like Conte, Klopp, Mourinho while creaming over Pochettino. These same people also talk about how 'Spurs remind me of United under SAF' and other such romanticism which compels me to do what I've done in this thread.

el3mel

Don't people realize it ? All these excuses being made for him cpgetting crushed out,, these excuses won't be present if he manages an elite club and got knocked out similar way. That's the difference of managing Spurs and managing a real!big club.

He can currently lose and get knocked out and excuses are ready : " they don't have enough financial support" , " they played better football ", " they lack experience". Move to a big club and lose in similar fashion and you'll get slaughtered with zero excuses. People using lack of financial support as an excuse will need to realize that if he gets more at another elite club, the expectations and ambitions will also go higher and he'll have to deliver. He won't stay all his managerial career life getting excused for not winning anything.

Whatether he can make the jump from " the darling that only gets praise and excuses because he's not at a big club" to " the manager who is always asked to win trophies and gets slaughtered for even a draw in the league at a big club" is yet to be seen and till he proves he can make this jump, he will always have question marks flying around him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We shouldn't knock our darling Pochettino I guess.
I meant knocking him in comparison to Mourinho.
If you looked my previous post, I criticised him and did again in the post you quoted.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
There are no "excuses", Spurs were simply better and should have won, those are objective facts.

Poch has done his job.
That's why you are on a forum and Allegri is one of the best managers in the world.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's like early Wenger with none of the trophies. Attractive to watch despite some theatrics and so much promise but always limps out.
That is actually a good comparison. And Spurs are like Arsenal between 2006 - 2010. Play pretty, win some games, not get humiliated often (unlike Arsenal of last few years) and win naught (unlike Arsenal of last few years). No one should take them seriously until they win a trophy.

Ban

Every time Poch gets knocked out of a competition, there is an excuse.
At elite level (pro) sport, excuses count for nothing. Winning is everything.
Until Poch wins, he won't be ready to move to a big club and should remain at Spurs.

This is why Jose is categorised as a serial winner. He understands the concept of winning and knows how to win.

For all the plaudits Spurs and LFC get, they won nothing last season, while Jose won us 2 trophies. Fair player to Pep - this season he stepped his game up.
This.
He has lost this tie and should have reacted to turnaround in the game. But no, he has done his job supposedly cause they were the better team.
In 5 years nobody will remember Spurs were better. Hell, they won't remember it in 2 years.
He gets all the excuses but our own manager is being bashed left, right and center by United supporters for every silly thing.

cyberman

Spurs were the better side over 2 legs and threw that away.
That should matter, not the net spend.
If this were Utd over the last 3 years we would be ripping our hair out. But their 2nd place is celebrated while theres calls for Joses head.

Ban

I meant knocking him in comparison to Mourinho.
If you looked my previous post, I criticised him and did again in the post you quoted.
I get it. It wasn't meant for you. Sorry.
Right now though Mourinho is still the better manager. Only thing Poch is winning right now is nice football.

RedDevil@84

In the 2nd leg you've got to fancy Spurs to score at least once, which because of the away goals rule would then mean that Juve have to score 2 with no further reply.

As long as we don't get caught cold again early on, that's going to be a tough ask for Juve.
Prophetic Glaston there

evil_geko

That's why you are on a forum and Allegri is one of the best managers in the world.
What a strange response.

Yes, I am on a forum and Poch outplayed "one of the best managers in the world", who's gone through lucky.

And me being on a forum or not doesn't change that.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Spurs were the better side over 2 legs and threw that away.
That should matter, not the net spend.
If this were Utd over the last 3 years we would be ripping our hair out. But their 2nd place is celebrated while theres calls for Joses head.
Because we have a much bigger budget. Which means much higher expectations.

Ban

What a strange response.

Yes, I am on a forum and Poch outplayed "one of the best managers in the world", who's gone through lucky.

How was that lucky exactly?
Who will remember in the future that Poch outplayed Allegri?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What a strange response.

Yes yes, Spurs were the 'better side' just like countless other teams that were the 'better side' against Juventus only for the old lady to have the last laugh.

Did you not see the reactions the players had every time the goalkeeper made a save, the defenders made a tackle? This is what they play the game for, they make every team think they are the 'better side' and then smash them.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Is just not cunning enough and suits a team like Spurs perfectly.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's easy to understand.

Their opponents are lucky when they win against them and they play far more attacking and adventurous football compared to our boring park the bus shit despite having scored one goal less in the league than us.

el3mel

What a strange response.

Except for the fact that Juve isn't a possession based team. Playing a defensive and solid is their bread and butter. It's not the first time we saw an Italian team I guess. There are more ways of playing football than possession of the ball

BTW strange they outplayed Juve according to you and still didn't manage to defeat them in any of the two ties.

Canagel

He's like early Wenger with none of the trophies. Attractive to watch despite some theatrics and so much promise but always limps out.
I was just about to say this. He's the younger version of Wenger. Plays nice football but tactically naive.

evil_geko

No one will remember, that is football, you outplaying someone doesn't always mean you winning the game.

ti vu

Although I agree with you, I feel the game won't have gone completely away from him if he reacted sooner.
I agree a lot of people using this game to knock Poch will look silly if we get KO by a much inferior team next week.
If we got knocked out then it's our problem. It's not silly to call the spade a spade on other matter.

It's not like when we win they start giving us praise. As far as I recall, there were plenty of negativity even when we won.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
What a strange response.

It's not luck, it's margins. Spurs being marginally not good enough. Luck would be when the ref don't blow a clear pen (or offside to that last marginally not good enough header). So that makes Spurs the lucky ones, despite losing.

Ban

No one will remember, that is football, you outplaying someone doesn't always mean you winning the game.
Exactly.
So according to you he has done his job.
If the job was outplaying Juve and lose he has done it.

kidbob

Great coach. Not quite there yet but still young enough to learn. It must be noted that he has no where near the financial backing of some of the clubs he's taking on. Bright future ahead of him, can't see him staying at Spurs much longer along with some of their top players. Sad in a way but that's modern football.

Edit: it must also be remembered that SAF, as much as I love the guy, took years to realise that you can't just go gung ho and expect to beat the top European sides in a shoot out. Worked for us in the treble years but we could've won more if he had adopted the tactics he did in the later years in the Champions League.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Exactly.
Spurs didn't 'outplay' Juventus. Juventus had the best chances in the game!

That is what they do, they defend defend defend and then cut you open for that one opportunity. Then they defend defend defend. A true Italian team.

evil_geko

Exactly.
So football is not played to be better than your opponent?

Good Lord, so many people on this forum have a hard on for defensive bollocks of a football it's crazy, I give up.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberman

@Keeps It tidy
This is my problem with your post. The team is already there. Well done with the net spend but Poch has one of the top sides in Europe. They're on equal footing with Juve etc and look what happens time and time again.
Poch isn't managing a massive underdog, he hasn't got inferior players so he hasn't got any excuses.

reddevil702

A couple weeks ago Poch is the answer to all of United's problems, now he's back to being a sh!t manager who shouldn't be anywhere near United. :lol: Spurs outplayed Juve but unfortunately for them got caught for about 20 min each game and gave up 2 goals each time, just wasn't their time, but looking at their improvement in the CL from last year I'd say they would consider this year an overall success. Poch is still overachieving and playing a very aesthetically pleasing style while doing it. Would love to have him at United once Jose decides to move on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we got knocked out then it's our problem. It's not silly to call the spade a spade on other matter.

It's not like when we win they start giving us praise. As far as I recall, there were plenty of negativity even when we won.
I have no problem with people saying he didn't manage the game well. I said as much.
I'm saying people saying this game proves Mourinho is the better manager are wrong.
If Mourinho's the better manager it will be because of history and how much Mourinho has won and Pochettino not winning anything.

reddevil702

Good Lord, so many ppl on this forum have a hard on for defensive bollocks of a football it's crazy, I give up.
Expect when a team (United) actually plays defensive football and then the masses come out wanting Jose's head. :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a strange response.

Tbh Spurs were lucky to be even in the contest. Higuain missed penalty to make it 3-0 in the first leg. Tie would have been over had he converted.

evil_geko

A couple weeks ago Poch is the answer to all of United's problems, now he's back to being a sh!t manager who shouldn't be anywhere near United. :lol: Spurs outplayed Juve but unfortunately for them got caught for about 20 min each game and gave up 2 goals each time, just wasn't their time, but looking at their improvement in the CL from last year I'd say they would consider this year an overall success. Poch is still overachieving and playing a very aesthetically pleasing style while doing it. Would love to have him at United once Jose decides to move on.
It is useless, lots of people have very strong anti-Poch agenda here it's no use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
@Keeps It tidy
This is my problem with your post. The team is already there. Well done with the net spend but Poch has one of the top sides in Europe. They're on equal footing with Juve etc and look what happens time and time again.
Poch isn't managing a massive underdog, he hasn't got inferior players so he hasn't got any excuses.
I never use net spend do not associate me with that term. And in terms of wage bill spurs are underdogs.

reddevil702

@Keeps It tidy
I think the fact that you consider Spurs equals to Juve really shows the job Poch has done.

ti vu

Good Lord, so many ppl on this forum have a hard on for defensive bollocks of a football it's crazy, I give up.
So how did Tottenham better Juve, when the result showed otherwise (Tottenham didn't win either game). There is no ghost goal, ref controversial against Tottenham?

It is useless, lots of ppl have very strong anti-Poch agenda here it's no use.
You're making stuff up with this one. The posts are there to count as evidence

Kag

How. You're losing 2:1, you're supposed to change it somehow.
Excuses for the man are silly.
Somehow I doubt you would extend this same rhetoric to Mourinho if we were to lose 2-1 at home to Sevilla next week. This just makes you look a little one-eyed.

Often the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Pochettino hasn't delivered trophies for Spurs, and there is something very Spurs-like about tonight's exit.

But in isolation, losing to Juventus in a Champions League tie is nothing to knock. I'd argue the same if it was United, or any side for that matter.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but people like you seem narked by the criticism of Mourinho and slightly bitter (?) about the praise directed Pochettino's way. Holding him accountable for some perceived shocking loss and thereby determining his managerial ability redundant to counter the above is just a bit daft.

This Spurs side could really do with a trophy. It would benefit Pochettino, too. But that isn't guaranteed. To be frank, under most normal circumstances it shouldn't be expected either.