A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Dinghy

When you look at Tottenham's net spend and quality of player on the pitch, they shouldn't be anywhere near a CL final. There is no debate really as to whether's he's done a good job or not.

Trippier and Rose are average full backs now and Sissoko and Winks probably aren't CL level midfielders, never mind starters in a final. They are what you'd call squad players but they haven't invested so he's had to rely on them when fit.

To do what he's done with that team and level of investment is remarkable, and he really could achieve something big with actual backing in terms of incoming transfers.
The insane amounts of luck had to run out sometime.

As for the quality of the players on the pitch they can field two CB's that is better than anything United has, probably the worlds best striker when on form in Kane, a solid goalie in Lloris, Eriksen and a top class winger in Son. Alli, Trippier and Rose are all good players as well. It really isn't that big of a shock to see them go all the way to the final. However, with the way they've played for the last months they definitely shouldn't have been there and the performance in the final was embarrasing.

Stacks

He is still at Spurs doing a job that would get him sacked from the United job so it's hard to say for him. I wouldn't see him as a guaranteed success at United. I think it would be an unknown and a risk.

I don't care about mini leagues but the championing of poch over Ole at this stage makes little sense given the comparison available. As I said it's a double sided argument as you can say Pochettino has done this and that at Spurs, but actually that just raises the question of why Ole doing pretty much the same thing at United over a much smaller period of time should rule him out yet can be used to advocate someone else.

Every argument is just self defeating. Pochettino has signed barely anyone...well, he's had the chance to, or the chance to go elsewhere if he isn't happy with being a nearly man. Ole has not signed anyone for United either yet so it's impossible to use this argument against him and for Pochettino. You are claiming Ole would not finish above Wolves but literally all you have to go on is half a season where actually he would have finished 3rd and well above Tottenham (who would have been below Wolves). You might not like comparisons but it is the only one you have apart from just making shit up.

He's got Spurs 4th...So what. 4th isn't good enough for a successful side. Especially not after managing them for a few years or more. It is good enough for Spurs.

He got them to a CL final yes, but with a latge ek3ment of luck. then they lost the game in 26 seconds to a Liverpool side that didn't really turn up. He made an obvious error in starting Kane. In the end they have had a worse season than Chelsea.

I just find the Pochettino love in weird considering he has actually done very little other than find a comfort zone
1)what United manager has been sacked for 4th? as long as we make CL, our managers are safe. I don't know what you have been watching because evidently this is not the case.
2) you say you don't care about mini leagues then use a mini league to justify your opinion which makes no sense. Ole is not doing anything like what Poch has achieved. Pochettino has cleared out Spurs squad, rebuilt it and competed at the top end for 4 consecutive seasons, whilst promoting youth players and spending very little. If you think Ole has done the same then you have ignored all of what Poch has done at Spurs.
3)Has he? who has he had a chance to go to? United jumped in and signed up Ole so I don't know if this is true.
4)The half season league is meaningless. How can you deduce we would finish above Spurs when we ended the season on relegation form with no signs of that ending. The chances are if the season were longer, we would continue losing games and drop down the table. I saw nothing from Ole that suggested he could end the slump unfortunately.....
5)4th has been good enough for United with are huge spending so it is certainly good enough when you have no net transfer spend.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
The insane amounts of luck had to run out sometime.

As for the quality of the players on the pitch they can field two CB's that is better than anything United has, probably the worlds best striker when on form in Kane, a solid goalie in Lloris, Eriksen and a top class winger in Son. Alli, Trippier and Rose are all good players as well. It really isn't that big of a shock to see them go all the way to the final. However, with the way they've played for the last months they definitely shouldn't have been there and the performance in the final was embarrasing.
Can't believe how lucky Spurs were being drawn in the group of death and then given the toughest route to the final. It's been well document that Spurs had insane amounts of luck when they lost key players due to injuries and having to rely on bringing on Ben Davies and Juan Foyth in order to change a match in the CL semi final.

In regards to the quality, you sound like you don't even believe your own argument. Two CB's better than anything United has, not sure why you're using that as a barometer because with respect that's not exactly difficult but yes Alderweireld and Vertonghen are two of the best defenders in the league granted. 'Probably' the world's best striker when on form...well he wasn't on form and had just come back from an injury so that's not doing your argument much justice is it, and I'd agree with your appraisal of Lloris, Eriksen and Son so in reality I make that 5/6 good players 1 or maybe 2 would what you call world class or CL standard.

Alli hasn't been on form all season and has been carrying an injury, not the same player he was 2 seasons ago, Trippier has been poor this season and Rose although played well on Saturday again isn't the same player he was 2 years ago, you forgot Winks and Sissoko by the way who both also started in the final so in reality 5 players what you would call CL standard and the rest are merely squad players so I don't get this idea that Spurs ought to be doing better. You look at that team and you would never had predicted that they would be in the CL final, that's just nonsense and you know it.

Some of the arguments in this thread are utterley amazing :lol:

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
1)what United manager has been sacked for 4th? as long as we make CL, our managers are safe. I don't know what you have been watching because evidently this is not the case.
2) you say you don't care about mini leagues then use a mini league to justify your opinion which makes no sense. Ole is not doing anything like what Poch has achieved. Pochettino has cleared out Spurs squad, rebuilt it and competed at the top end for 4 consecutive seasons, whilst promoting youth players and spending very little. If you think Ole has done the same then you have ignored all of what Poch has done at Spurs.
3)Has he? who has he had a chance to go to? United jumped in and signed up Ole so I don't know if this is true.
4)The half season league is meaningless. How can you deduce we would finish above Spurs when we ended the season on relegation form with no signs of that ending. The chances are if the season were longer, we would continue losing games and drop down the table. I saw nothing from Ole that suggested he could end the slump unfortunately.....
5)4th has been good enough for United with are huge spending so it is certainly good enough when you have no net transfer spend.
LVG was sacked for finishing fourth AND winning a trophy!!
Difficult to judge Poch against Ole without giving Ole more time.
Poch has spent money, lots of it, just not as much as Chelsea, City, United etc, all of whom have won trophies since Poch has been in charge. Even Leicester have won something in that time.
What youth players has he brought through as mainstays of the first team?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Getting to the CL final is rightly seen as an achievement. Losing it isn't.

Moreover, you're now back-tracking. First, it was "would get him sacked", now it's "might save his job temporarily". But you fool no-one: given United's top 4 record since Fergie retired, the vast majority of United fans would bite your hand off for a top 4 finish next season and the chance to win a CL final (hypothetically setting aside the fact that you won't be playing in the CL next season). ... and that's even taking into account another summer of vast spending by United.

You talk about "if it was his 4th year in charge" .... yet how much have United spent during that period? Bucket-loads.

Because of the need for stadium and other construction investment Spurs have spent just £15m net on transfers over the last 10 years. This is what Pochettino inherited and has had to work with over the last 5 years. And he's worked miracles.

The truth is United would take Pochettino like a shot if they could get him. But you fall back on this nonsense that if Pochettino has joined United he would have been sacked for "only" making top 4 and the CL final.

Well, the clear absurdity of your claim will never be proven, because Pochettino is beyond United's reach.
If Pochettino came to united (Or any big club) and delivered the same results as he has at Spurs, he would get sacked. This isn't really a contentious argument. It is just what would happen.

If Ole got top four next season it would be good enough, for his first full season. If we didn't then push on from there he would be under pressure. Again this is just not really a debate.

Mourinho ended up under enormous pressure at United after finishing 2nd to a team who hot 100 points. Spurs were below United and had a worse season, yet there was no pressure at all on Pochettino.

Chelsea have had a better season than you, yet a lot of their fans want Sarri gone despite it being his first season.

No one cares about excuses or nearly winning things. Ask Arsenal fans. If you don't win you're not the winner. Until spurs start thinking like a big club Pochettino's job there is easier than it would be at a big club.

I know you're desperate to rub in everyone's face how great spurs are, but you are a team that never wins anything. That doesn't even act like it's a failure to not win something. It's hard to be jealous of that I'm afraid

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's the Best manager in London out of all the club's there, he didn't buy anyone last season and still got Champions league spot, also a final. Top man
I agree with all of that!

I like the fact that the board and fans have been very patient and prepared to give the manager plenty of time, even without any trophies to show for it.
It couldn't be more different to Chelsea's nutty way of doing things. I think if a Chelsea manager went 5 years without winning a trophy, some of our fans would want him to be sent to prison, fed on stale bread and mouldy cheese and be given hard labour.

To be serious though.. The question has to be asked - Just how long do you wait for trophies,, 2, 4 another 5 years???
Winning all the time isn't everything, but a top club should be winning things over a good period of time. Its shouldn't be anough to stay in the conformt zone of being happy to be top four.That's showing a dreadful lack of ambition.

Stacks

LVG was sacked for finishing fourth AND winning a trophy!!
Difficult to judge Poch against Ole without giving Ole more time.
Poch has spent money, lots of it, just not as much as Chelsea, City, United etc, all of whom have won trophies since Poch has been in charge. Even Leicester have won something in that time.
What youth players has he brought through as mainstays of the first team?
LVG finished 5th. if he was 4th he would of kept his job as CL qualification is the minimum. Poch has not signed a player for nearly 2 years!!!

Stacks

I like the fact that the board and fans have been very patient and prepared to give the manager plenty of time, even without any trophies to show for it.
It couldn't be more different to Chelsea's nutty way of doing things. I think if a Chelsea manager went 5 years without winning a trophy, some of our fans would want him to be sent to prison, fed on stale bread and mouldy cheese and be given hard labour.

To be serious though.. The question has to be asked - Just how long do you wait for trophies,, 2, 4 another 5 years???
Winning all the time isn't everything, but a top club should be winning things over a good period of time. Its shouldn't be anough to stay in the conformt zone of being happy to be top four.That's showing a dreadful lack of ambition.
Chelsea managers are backed in the market. Poch isn't. Spurs fans will no doubt wait until he is backed and turn on Levy if he doesn't get backed and decides to leave. Just like at Arsenal

Dinghy

Can't believe how lucky Spurs were being drawn in the group of death and then given the toughest route to the final. It's been well document that Spurs had insane amounts of luck when they lost key players due to injuries and having to rely on bringing on Ben Davies and Juan Foyth in order to change a match in the CL semi final.

In regards to the quality, you sound like you don't even believe your own argument. Two CB's better than anything United has, not sure why you're using that as a barometer because with respect that's not exactly difficult but yes Alderweireld and Vertonghen are two of the best defenders in the league granted. 'Probably' the world's best striker when on form...well he wasn't on form and had just come back from an injury so that's not doing your argument much justice is it, and I'd agree with your appraisal of Lloris, Eriksen and Son so in reality I make that 5/6 good players 1 or maybe 2 would what you call world class or CL standard.

Alli hasn't been on form all season and has been carrying an injury, not the same player he was 2 seasons ago, Trippier has been poor this season and Rose although played well on Saturday again isn't the same player he was 2 years ago, you forgot Winks and Sissoko by the way who both also started in the final so in reality 5 players what you would call CL standard and the rest are merely squad players so I don't get this idea that Spurs ought to be doing better. You look at that team and you would never had predicted that they would be in the CL final, that's just nonsense and you know it.

Some of the arguments in this thread are utterley amazing :lol:

I'm using that as a barometer because this is a United-forum and we have United-supporters wanking themselves silly over Poch and how good he is doing with "inferior" players. The truth is he's got a strong starting 11 and some half-decent squad players, which is to be expected when he's had 5 years to assemble a team. Still, he only finished 4th in the league this year after collapsing in the league after new year. A few lucky wins saved the CL-spot. There was a lot of luck involved in his CL-run up to the final as well, and in the final they put out an embarrasing performance. Losing a final without ever coming close to winning it isn't really that impressing. And yes, I've had Tottenham as an outsider this year in the CL after they got through the group stages as they are a physically strong team that the "better sides" usually struggles with. Don't understand why they looked so scared in the final, though. Poch has to take a lot of blame for that.

You can keep downplaying your own players, but Lloris, Verthongen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Son, (Alli) and Kane would probably start for most top 4 sides in Europe. Sissoko is a good squad-player and your fullbacks are also quite good compared to what many other top sides has got.

Stacks

I'm using that as a barometer because this is a United-forum and we have United-supporters wanking themselves silly over Poch and how good he is doing with "inferior" players. The truth is he's got a strong starting 11 and some half-decent squad players, which is to be expected when he's had 5 years to assemble a team. Still, he only finished 4th in the league this year after collapsing in the league after new year. A few lucky wins saved the CL-spot. There was a lot of luck involved in his CL-run up to the final as well, and in the final they put out an embarrasing performance. Losing a final without ever coming close to winning it isn't really that impressing. And yes, I've had Tottenham as an outsider this year in the CL after they got through the group stages as they are a physically strong team that the "better sides" usually struggles with. Don't understand why they looked so scared in the final, though. Poch has to take a lot of blame for that.

You can keep downplaying your own players, but Lloris, Verthongen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Son, (Alli) and Kane would probably start for most top 4 sides in Europe. Sissoko is a good squad-player and your fullbacks are also quite good compared to what many other top sides has got.
no they would not. literally only Kane and POSSIBLY Eriksen. the rest would be squad players or upgraded upon immediately. Alli and Son starting for Barcelona, Madrid or City :lol:.
they wouldn't even start for Liverpool

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The amount of straw man arguments in this thread is crazy - it's like a straw man convention.

Dinghy

no they would not. literally only Kane and POSSIBLY Eriksen. the rest would be squad players or upgraded upon immediately. Alli and Son starting for Barcelona, Madrid or City :lol:.
they wouldn't even start for Liverpool
Those three teams = "most top 4 sides in Europe"?

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If Pochettino came to united (Or any big club) and delivered the same results as he has at Spurs, he would get sacked. This isn't really a contentious argument. It is just what would happen.

If Ole got top four next season it would be good enough, for his first full season. If we didn't then push on from there he would be under pressure. Again this is just not really a debate.

Mourinho ended up under enormous pressure at United after finishing 2nd to a team who hot 100 points. Spurs were below United and had a worse season, yet there was no pressure at all on Pochettino.

Chelsea have had a better season than you, yet a lot of their fans want Sarri gone despite it being his first season.

No one cares about excuses or nearly winning things. Ask Arsenal fans. If you don't win you're not the winner. Until spurs start thinking like a big club Pochettino's job there is easier than it would be at a big club.

I know you're desperate to rub in everyone's face how great spurs are, but you are a team that never wins anything. That doesn't even act like it's a failure to not win something. It's hard to be jealous of that I'm afraid
Your whole attitude lacks context … the context that several hundreds of millions of pound's worth of extra spending provides.

You say that "if Ole got top four next season it would be good enough, for his first full season". So how about if he did that again the following season and reached the CL final? No way he'd be sacked.

And how about if he did that without spending any money whatsoever in net transfer terms, meaning that the owners' profits rise substantially? Again, far from being sacked he'd probably have his contract extended and improved.

You also suffer from the pretentious delusion that Spurs have lower expectations than United. Well, Spurs expect to finish above United in the league next season, not least because we have done just that for the majority of the last 5 years. And Spurs expect to be playing in the CL, whereas for United it's now more a hope than expectation.

This is the new reality that fans like you refuse to face. So instead you engage in distraction activities, like resorting to jibes about Spurs not being a "big club" … as if we don't now have one of the world's very best stadiums, don't have a world-class training centre, don't have a UEFA ranking that's higher than United's, aren't in the global top 10 income-wise and don't have a club valuation that's higher than Juventus or PSG.

Champ

LVG finished 5th. if he was 4th he would of kept his job as CL qualification is the minimum. Poch has not signed a player for nearly 2 years!!!
You mean when he spent over £100m last season right??
LVG finished 4th in his first season, but I get what your saying,

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You mean when he spent over £100m last season right??
LVG finished 4th in his first season, but I get what your saying,
He wasn't sacked for that. It was considered a decent first season, and that's with signing players like Di Maria for 80 million pounds .. something Pochettino can only dream of doing.

Poch has finished 2nd and 3rd twice at the club, 4th is the lowest we've been since his first season, the league position is pretty average but saved by being in a CL final. As much as the 'only matters if you win something' dunderheads will scream that this doesn't matter, despite the fact that reaching the final earns the club an incredible amount of money and massively boosts our prestige.

The fact is we have the lowest wage budget and transfer expenditure out of the top six, and we are closer to West Ham than we are to Arsenal in terms of spending. So the expectations reflect that lack of investment, just like if we increase spending the expectations will naturally go up. People seem to be judging Pochettino by Man United standards when he doesn't have a Man United budget, not even close. Which anybody could see is ludicrous but somehow it passes for an argument in this thread.

Champ

Your whole attitude lacks context … the context that several hundreds of millions of pound's worth of extra spending provides.

You say that "if Ole got top four next season it would be good enough, for his first full season". So how about if he did that again the following season and reached the CL final? No way he'd be sacked.

And how about if he did that without spending any money whatsoever in net transfer terms, meaning that the owners' profits rise substantially? Again, far from being sacked he'd probably have his contract extended and improved.

You also suffer from the pretentious delusion that Spurs have lower expectations than United. Well, Spurs expect to finish above United in the league next season, not least because we have done just that for the majority of the last 5 years. And Spurs expect to be playing in the CL, whereas for United it's now more a hope than expectation.

This is the new reality that fans like you refuse to face. So instead you engage in distraction activities, like resorting to jibes about Spurs not being a "big club" … as if we don't now have one of the world's very best stadiums, don't have a world-class training centre, don't have a UEFA ranking that's higher than United's, aren't in the global top 10 income-wise and don't have a club valuation that's higher than Juventus or PSG.
I'd like to think that most United fans can be of sound mind to realise that Spurs are in a better moment than United right now, but the simple fact remains United have won more trophies in their lowest ebb than Spurs have in their best moment.
Partly down to funds, but definitely not solely down to funds...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Do you work for Sky?
Purely going off what I saw in the recent LVG interview where he said:

'He was not performing that well, to a level you could expect from an £80m player.'

I just assumed that figure was accurate since he was your manager.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Purely going off what I saw in the recent LVG interview where he said:

'He was not performing that well, to a level you could expect from an £80m player.'

I just assumed that figure was accurate since he was your manager.
Luckily he wasn't a finance guy, otherwise we would have been fecked. We paid 59 million pounds, reported by official ManUtd website when he was signed.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Luckily he wasn't a finance guy, otherwise we would have been fecked. We paid 59 million pounds, reported by official ManUtd website when he was signed.
:lol: Fair enough, I did think the figure looked too high but figured he must know better than nearly anyone, right?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol: Fair enough, I did think the figure looked too high but figured he must know better than nearly anyone, right?
Doubt he would remember those figures like us fans do to argue on internet board.

I have posted the tweet from the club when Di Maria was signed. We usually don't publish the fee, for Di Maria we did.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

You are still not grasping that not winning the champions league is not actually an achievement. If your performances had been better or if you were normally challenging for trophies it might be different.

Having a nice stadium and a training centre does not make you a big or successful club. You are a club who are happy to finish 4th...the same thing arsenal fans hated their own club for. Liverpool, City, Chelsea and United are bug clubs. The aim for these teams is to win the league, win trophies. Anything beneath that is a failure.

Excuses like "but we spent no money" are pointless. Maybe if you tell that to the city owners they will share the PL trophy with you out of sympathy.

You're just focused on trying to prove Tottenham are a better run club than United, but I don't think anyone would deny that at the moment, but my point is it will always be easier to manage Tottenham than United when Tottenham are happy to achieve nothing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Doubt he would remember those figures like us fans do to argue on internet board.

I have posted the tweet from the club when Di Maria was signed. We usually don't publish the fee, for Di Maria we did.
Yeah, seems he either simply got it wrong, or maybe meant that he thought Di Maria was an 80m level player? Clutching a bit but not sure.

romufc

If in two years Ole gets top 4 and CL final he won't get sacked, but the season after he either has to win the champions league or the PL, or he is sacked. The difference is Poch has taken 5 years to get to a CL final

Granted he is a great manager but the difference is Spurs ambition is top 4, Manutd ambition is top 4 for short run and challenge for Title, which is not the same ambition as Spurs. Just because they have finished above us in a few seasons, doesn't mean they are more ambitious.

If you talk about Delusion? I know a few Spurs fan who hoped they can win a final, When Manutd get in a final the expectation is to win.

Just because you have a state of the art stadium doesnt mean Spurs are a big club? West Ham have a 21st Century stadium, are they a big club? they too spend huge transfer fees.

So what would your ambition be for next season as a so called "big club"?

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
I'm using that as a barometer because this is a United-forum and we have United-supporters wanking themselves silly over Poch and how good he is doing with "inferior" players. The truth is he's got a strong starting 11 and some half-decent squad players, which is to be expected when he's had 5 years to assemble a team.
This argument always seems to crop up time and time again about Spurs having the best players and people keep spectacularly missing the point. Two seasons ago in 2016/17 it could be argued that Spurs had the best starting eleven in the league although the backups weren't that great. Now it can be argued that whilst they have improved the squad the starting eleven needs improving so this myth about Spurs having a strong eleven needs to be addressed properly, good enough to challenge the top four and go on an extensive CL run but better than Liverpool or City?, no which is why they probably finished so far behind them in the league and probably why they couldn't match Liverpool in the final.

5 years to assemble a team whilst not being properly backed and losing Walker and Dembele in the process, let's get it right.

From what I read on here this is the entire problem with this forum, Utd fans who oppose the idea of Pochettino becoming Utd manager or the very thought of Poch being hyped up to be a better fit than Ole go to the extremes of downplaying him as a manager for that reason, it's typical in these debates that people generally over exaggerate to make a point and desperately try to hold onto something which could be remotely spun as negative, most of the anti Poch arguments are tenuous as best.

Still, he only finished 4th in the league this year after collapsing in the league after new year.
Yeah mate only finished fourth in the league despite:

• Not signing any players in the summer or January windows.
  • Having to put up with playing at Wembley for most of the season and the disruption of the delays all season
  • Having a ridiculous injury list and having key players out injured particularly towards the end of the season

All this despite having the 6th highest wage bill compared to their rivals and a net spend of £29m based over the 5 year period since he's been at the club, for a team who never consistently finished in the top 4 - Spurs getting top 4 once again in such a testing season can only be seen as a positive and cannot really be downplayed as something that's par for the course.

And this will answer your question as to why Spurs probably collapsed after February - it's because they were mentally and physically tired especially since the majority of their first team played in the latter stages of the World Cup and never really had a pre season to get going. Poch's teams traditionally get stronger as the season progresses yet they only picked up 11 points out of 36, that's an anomaly which suggests that the players were spent going into the latter part of the season.

A few lucky wins saved the CL-spot. There was a lot of luck involved in his CL-run up to the final as well, and in the final they put out an embarrasing performance. Losing a final without ever coming close to winning it isn't really that impressing.
Here we go again with this lucky narrative, people such as yourself don't really know what luck is and only use the term when it benefits you. Go on then explain to me what a lucky win is in this context, if you mean the late goals Spurs scored to get them over the line that's not luck, it's called resilience Even then if you want to use the weak lucky narrative argument then surely it needs to work both ways, Spurs lost games where they were 'unlucky' like the 1-0 against Utd at Wembley for example...it works both ways and all teams can make the same arguments where they can point to should or should not have won or lost matches, it's a load of crap isn't it?

Also I've given you facts as to why the CL run was anything but lucky and quite conveniently you have failed to produce a convincing counter argument. You constantly screaming it whilst sticking your fingers in your ear it doesn't make it any more true.

And yes, I've had Tottenham as an outsider this year in the CL after they got through the group stages as they are a physically strong team that the "better sides" usually struggles with. Don't understand why they looked so scared in the final, though. Poch has to take a lot of blame for that.
You say that he may have to take some blame for the final performance and put the blame on him even though he set the team up correctly yet you're not willing to give him any props for getting them there in the first place, brilliant. :lol:

You've proved my entire point about tenuous, myopic arguments in this thread and this one stands out.

I haven't downplayed anyone, I've agreed that those players bar Alli (this season) were worthy of starting a CL final. You said that our full backs are quite good and I've just told you that Trippier is having a poor season although Rose is good he isn't the same player that he was 2 seasons ago where he was the best LB in the league. Still this is the team he built and these are players that he's built up to the level they are at today - Spurs have absolutely no right to be finishing where they finish year in year out and it's all down to one man.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If in two years Ole gets top 4 and CL final he won't get sacked, but the season after he either has to win the champions league or the PL, or he is sacked. The difference is Poch has taken 5 years to get to a CL final

Granted he is a great manager but the difference is Spurs ambition is top 4, Manutd ambition is top 4 for short run and challenge for Title, which is not the same ambition as Spurs. Just because they have finished above us in a few seasons, doesn't mean they are more ambitious.

If you talk about Delusion? I know a few Spurs fan who hoped they can win a final, When Manutd get in a final the expectation is to win.

Just because you have a state of the art stadium doesnt mean Spurs are a big club? West Ham have a 21st Century stadium, are they a big club? they too spend huge transfer fees.

So what would your ambition be for next season as a so called "big club"?
I have really tried to avoid getting involved in all this but what you are forgetting is the situation Utd and Spurs were in 5 years ago and the substantial improvements done by Spurs over those 5 years to get close to a level Utd are as a club vs Utd who are one of the biggest clubs in the world as it stands and were 5 years ago also.

Spurs are now at a stage when not qualifying for Champions League and not pushing for titles'/cups will be seen as a complete failure - just the same as Utd. We couldnt say that 5 years ago because essentially Spurs were at Everton's level then - we are no longer at that level and should be judged with the big boys right now and from now on. We are moving on as a club and you need to accept that and move your expectations with it.

If Spurs fail to get champions league football next year and don't win anything then Poch will be under serious pressure, it is no longer acceptable not to meet that bare minimum now at Spurs. For better or worse that is how much he has changed the club.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@MagicKarpet you had it right until the last line.
Tottenham obviously have the right to regularly finish above struggling sides like United, Arsenal and sometimes Chelsea.
Tottenham do have a good team, to suggest they don't because of wages and transfer spend is silly.
The likes of Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose, Toby, Sanchez, Son, Moura all range from good to excellent.
Poch has done really well at Tottenham, but just as people will downplay him, saying Spurs only do well because of him is a bit much. In my opinion it is anyways.

romufc

I have really tried to avoid getting involved in all this but what you are forgetting is the situation Utd and Spurs were in 5 years ago and the substantial improvements done by Spurs over those 5 years to get close to a level Utd are as a club vs Utd who are one of the biggest clubs in the world as it stands and were 5 years ago also.

Spurs are now at a stage when not qualifying for Champions League and not pushing for titles'/cups will be seen as a complete failure - just the same as Utd. We couldnt say that 5 years ago because essentially Spurs were at Everton's level then - we are no longer at that level and should be judged with the big boys right now and from now on. We are moving on as a club and you need to accept that and move your expectations with it.

If Spurs fail to get champions league football next year and don't win anything then Poch will be under serious pressure, it is no longer acceptable not to meet that bare minimum now at Spurs. For better or worse that is how much he has changed the club.

Agreed, but when you are the size of Manchester United, you do not have expectation of finishing top 4, just because we have had few weak season, top 4 is not an achievement for Manutd, that is a bare minimum.

I agree Spurs are changing expectation, but is this from fans only or from the board? If it comes from the board, surely Poch should be getting £150m to spend? Realistically, however good of a manager you are, there is a limit to your powers?

The real test will be once Poch feels he has taken this team as far as he can, and a new manager is required. We probably have the best 3 managers in the world in this league.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
@MagicKarpet you had it right until the last line.
Tottenham obviously have the right to regularly finish above struggling sides like United, Arsenal and sometimes Chelsea.
Tottenham do have a good team, to suggest they don't because of wages and transfer spend is silly.
The likes of Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose, Toby, Sanchez, Son, Moura all range from good to excellent.
Poch has done really well at Tottenham, but just as people will downplay him, saying Spurs only do well because of him is a bit much. In my opinion it is anyways.
Tottenham have the right to be competing at that level and competing for honours is because of Pochettino not despite of him. My point regarding lack of transfers and wages is to highlight that Poch is doing an excellent job considering the circumstances and the placement of the club. I'm not denying that we don't have some very good players although I don't agree with the myth that our starting eleven is uber strong anymore but the argument of: 'so he should be finishing top four or winning with those players' totally misses the point that he has improved those players and got them to that level in the first place which is basically something that shouldn't be criticised - if it wasn't for him these players wouldn't be as good as they are, the club wouldn't be as good as it is and the expectations of the club would be lower.

Question you need to ask yourself is where were Spurs before Poch came in? Spurs weren't really considered as top four rivals or taken seriously before he managed Spurs. The fact is he's turned the entire mentality of the club around, he's made them CL regulars, this wasn't happening pre Poch.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You are still not grasping that not winning the champions league is not actually an achievement. If your performances had been better or if you were normally challenging for trophies it might be different.

Having a nice stadium and a training centre does not make you a big or successful club. You are a club who are happy to finish 4th...the same thing arsenal fans hated their own club for. Liverpool, City, Chelsea and United are bug clubs. The aim for these teams is to win the league, win trophies. Anything beneath that is a failure.

Excuses like "but we spent no money" are pointless. Maybe if you tell that to the city owners they will share the PL trophy with you out of sympathy.

You're just focused on trying to prove Tottenham are a better run club than United, but I don't think anyone would deny that at the moment, but my point is it will always be easier to manage Tottenham than United when Tottenham are happy to achieve nothing.
Pretty sure "not buying players" is a very important circumstance, rather that an excuse.

And this notion that it's easier to manage Tottenham is a bit of a farce. Unless you are living in the past, United's current target is a top 4 finish. The same as Spurs. The difference is United managers are given £100-200m to spend every summer, while a Spurs manager cannot. Perhaps the fans may expect for but in terms of job security the targets are similar.

Look at Jose Mourinho. He was given £400m to spend, was never close to mounting a title challenge, won 2 mickey mouse cups, undermined the management, threw his players under the bus, mocked the fans and club, and yet it had to become a total disaster before he was fired.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Agreed, but when you are the size of Manchester United, you do not have expectation of finishing top 4, just because we have had few weak season, top 4 is not an achievement for Manutd, that is a bare minimum.

I agree Spurs are changing expectation, but is this from fans only or from the board? If it comes from the board, surely Poch should be getting £150m to spend? Realistically, however good of a manager you are, there is a limit to your powers?

The real test will be once Poch feels he has taken this team as far as he can, and a new manager is required. We probably have the best 3 managers in the world in this league.
Well I'd argue that top 4 is no longer an achievement for Spurs and is the minimum expectations going forward. This summer will tell us a lot about how the board view the situation as I think it's the most important transfer windows in my lifetime so I'm expecting us to spend big - if we dont' then that will say a lot (and I'll be bitterly disappointed).

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pretty sure "not buying players" is a very important circumstance, rather that an excuse.

And this notion that it's easier to manage Tottenham is a bit of a farce. Unless you are living in the past, United's current target is a top 4 finish. The same as Spurs. The difference is United managers are given £100-200m to spend every summer, while a Spurs manager cannot. Perhaps the fans may expect for but in terms of job security the targets are similar.

Look at Jose Mourinho. He was given £400m to spend, was never close to mounting a title challenge, won 2 mickey mouse cups, undermined the management, threw his players under the bus, mocked the fans and club, and yet it had to become a total disaster before he was fired.
It is an excuse. There is no such thing as the "did quite well and didn't spend much money" trophy. If there was it'd have Arsene Wenger's face on it and Arsenal fans would probably laugh at you for taking it off them.

It is not really a farce. Your mourinho argument is weird, since the two "Mickey mouse" cups he won are more than Pochettino has managed with Spurs. He also qualified for the CL in both his full seasons at United. Yet by the start of the third season he was already half way to being given the boot. He did a better job than Pochettino and ended up in the dock for it.

The problem at United isn't the ambition or the expectation, it's that it's a terribly run club at the moment. The expectation is high while the quality and direction is low. At spurs you have a well run club but where the is lower than any of the teams around you. It's not so hard to succeed when the bar for success is take part rather than to win. I don't really get why this is difficult to understand

Stacks

He wasn't sacked for that. It was considered a decent first season, and that's with signing players like Di Maria for 80 million pounds .. something Pochettino can only dream of doing.

Poch has finished 2nd and 3rd twice at the club, 4th is the lowest we've been since his first season, the league position is pretty average but saved by being in a CL final. As much as the 'only matters if you win something' dunderheads will scream that this doesn't matter, despite the fact that reaching the final earns the club an incredible amount of money and massively boosts our prestige.

The fact is we have the lowest wage budget and transfer expenditure out of the top six, and we are closer to West Ham than we are to Arsenal in terms of spending. So the expectations reflect that lack of investment, just like if we increase spending the expectations will naturally go up. People seem to be judging Pochettino by Man United standards when he doesn't have a Man United budget, not even close. Which anybody could see is ludicrous but somehow it passes for an argument in this thread.
As a United supporter, I can only apologize for this folly. Imagine judging Diego Simeone by Real Madrid standards....wouldn't make much sense would it?

Stacks

yep. but I feel eventually United will be expected to challenge if the investment keeps up like this.
It is an excuse. There is no such thing as the "did quite well and didn't spend much money" trophy. If there was it'd have Arsene Wenger's face on it and Arsenal fans would probably laugh at you for taking it off them.

It is not really a farce. Your mourinho argument is weird, since the two "Mickey mouse" cups he won are more than Pochettino has managed with Spurs. He also qualified for the CL in both his full seasons at United. Yet by the start of the third season he was already half way to being given the boot. He did a better job than Pochettino and ended up in the dock for it.

The problem at United isn't the ambition or the expectation, it's that it's a terribly run club at the moment. The expectation is high while the quality and direction is low. At spurs you have a well run club but where the is lower than any of the teams around you. It's not so hard to succeed when the bar for success is take part rather than to win. I don't really get why this is difficult to understand
The difference is that Arsenal fans were told that Wenger does have money and refused to spend it. He kept saying things like "the money is there but he treats it like it was his own" blah blah blah. Its a simple fact that teams tend to perform within their means otherwise everyone below City and Liverpool would just get fired for not winning trophies. don't know what you are on really. I mean, if managers can show something with their lesser means, it often gives rise to bigger opportunities because they did well without spending money (i.e. with their current crop, coaching, improving, developing, tactics, motivation, adaptation) you know, all the other aspects of management.....

Hughie77

They are spurs and have always lacked ambition, but things are going to change, new stadium top one in London, bar Wembley.
They need to keep Poch, or go backwards even with there Shiny new top class stadium.

Levy is a money man, just like Woodward there lays the problem in ambition on the pitch.?

Could follow the Chelsea mantra sack a manager every 1 -2 seasons get new blood but it's worked pretty well at that club?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It is an excuse. There is no such thing as the "did quite well and didn't spend much money" trophy. If there was it'd have Arsene Wenger's face on it and Arsenal fans would probably laugh at you for taking it off them.\
Quit with the strawman. The argument is more nuanced than trophies and if you can't see past that

It is not really a farce. Your mourinho argument is weird, since the two "Mickey mouse" cups he won are more than Pochettino has managed with Spurs. He also qualified for the CL in both his full seasons at United. Yet by the start of the third season he was already half way to being given the boot.
Wait a minute. You are have the nerve to criticize Pochettino for not winning trophies yet you mention Mourinho qualifying for the CL as if it's some kind of accomplishment? And my argument is weird? Rich. :lol:

He did a better job than Pochettino and ended up in the dock for it.
If you honestly believe Mourinho did a better job than Pochettino given the circumstances you're deluded. It's intellectually dishonest to omit the fact that Mourinho spent loads of money on a squad that never even came close to challenging for a title and performed like minnows in the CL. Please don't tell me you're one of those Mourinho In folks b/c then your entire argument would look really foolish.

Well United's current target is top 4 AND they have considerably more resources. I don't really get why this is difficult to understand.