A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

el3mel

I think it's the perfect time for both of Poch and Spurs to part away regardless of anyone rating him or not.

He seems to have given them pretty much all he has as a manager and is eager for a new challenge.

Spurs also I think they'll benefit from some new ideas.

Both should part away after this season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I think it's the perfect time for both of Poch and Spurs to part away regardless of anyone rating him or not.

He seems to have given them pretty much all he has as a manager and is eager for a new challenge.

I agree. Pochettino today played a weaker team than his strongest team last season. His board was suppose to back him this summer, but he still has a midfield of Winks and Sissoko, KWP as replacements for first choice right back, and lamela and Moura starting games for him. This along with with Eriksen unhappy, Vertonghen, Rose and Alderweireld both question mark of their future. Once N’Dombele got injured it is clear to see a drop in quality in Spurs side. It is best for Pochettino to walk out and go to a club who can match his ambitions.

Saffron

I agree. Pochettino today played a weaker team than his strongest team last season. His board was suppose to back him this summer, but he still has a midfield of Winks and Sissoko, KWP as replacements for first choice right back, and lamela and Moura starting games for him. This along with with Eriksen unhappy, Vertonghen, Rose and Alderweireld both question mark of their future. Once N’Dombele got injured it is clear to see a drop in quality in Spurs side. It is best for Pochettino to walk out and go to a club who can match his ambitions.
I agree. And I have no doubt in my mind he would succeed here at an actual big club with big club resources.

Ed would have to back him, not doing so would be career suicide.

crossy1686

career ending
I agree. And I have no doubt in my mind he would succeed here at an actual big club with big club resources.

He isn't backing anyone.

Plus, Pochettino will replace Zidane at Madrid by the summer.

If he's going to do a rebuild he might as well do it somewhere players actually want to play.

Jev

Might still be a chance for us to get him next summer or in January. If anyone can turn us around, I'm pretty sure it's him. The energy and inspiration seems to have disappeared from the Spurs project after the Champions League final.

Amadaeus

Ed has backed every manager that has been to United beside maybe Moyes. Until those managers throw away the cash on players who were not good enough. I m pretty sure, Pochettino will be backed as well.

Alexit

I think him and Spurs are going to part ways sooner rather than later. The OP needs to update the thread title to:

A Serious Look at Ole's Eventual Replacement

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Ed has backed every manager that has been to United beside maybe Moyes. Until those managers throw away the cash on players who were not good enough. I m pretty sure, Pochettino will be backed as well.
Is a net spend of 70mil this summer backing the manager?

I think to suggest it is would be a stretch.

lysglimt

Scout
He isn't backing anyone.

Plus, Pochettino will replace Zidane at Madrid by the summer.

If he's going to do a rebuild he might as well do it somewhere players actually want to play.
What has Pochettino done to make Madrid even consider him ?

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Spurs looses and Poch is still great and its the players, energy, inspiration and stuff.
United looses and misses penalties and chances and it is due to the manager only.
How logical.

Keep changing coaches like you change underwear and the club will stay forever behind.
Projects need time and direction. This is a 3 year project and there is still need for new players as well as time for the younger lads to develop.

Amadaeus

Is a net spend of 70mil this summer backing the manager?

I think to suggest it is would be a stretch.
We spent around £150m this summer. More than most club, so yes it is being backed. If Ole didn’t have criticized Lukaku, he would still be here and we will have a Belgium international and the most expensive striker in the premier league still in our squad. A player that is easily capable of getting 20 goals a season. We spent the money pre the lukaku departure, so it is not like we were dependent on Lukaku departure before signing Maguire.

Lyng

Spurs looses and Poch is still great and its the players, energy, inspiration and stuff.
United looses and misses penalties and chances and it is due to the manager only.
How logical.

Keep changing coaches like you change underwear and the club will stay forever behind.
Projects need time and direction. This is a 3 year project and there is still need for new players as well as time for the younger lads to develop.
Yes its baffling how the goal posts and blame is shifted whenever Poch looses

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We spent around £150m this summer. More than most club, so yes it is being backed. If Ole didn’t have criticized Lukaku, he would still be here and we will have a Belgium international and the most expensive striker in the premier league still in our squad. A player that is easily capable of getting 20 goals a season. We spent the money pre the lukaku departure, so it is not like we were dependent on Lukaku departure before signing Maguire.
That you have cited 'losing Lukaku' as a negative on Ole's part, I can only assume you're a WUM at this point.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
How many wins for Poch in his last 15/17 games?
Just 3 wins in last 16 PL games.

For what it's worth, I don't think his teams play particularly attractive football. Even at their best they weren't playing football which I would envy despite utter shit on a stick football we've been seeing. Harry Redknapp Spurs were best to watch, at least in my lifetime.

PepG

Supports
Ajax

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Just 3 wins in last 16 PL games.

For what it's worth, I don't think his teams play particularly attractive football. Even at their best they weren't playing football which I would envy despite utter shit on a stick football we've been seeing. Harry Redknapp Spurs were best to watch, at least in my lifetime.
We were more attractive under Redknapp, but that's some of the best football I've seen as a football fan. Was great stuff.

I'd say the earlier Poch teams were really good to watch - 15/16 and 16/17 we saw some fantastic football with some lovely, intricate passing moves. Smashed a few teams to bit in 16/17 in particular, which easily remains Pochettino's best team imo.

But for a while now the football hasn't been great. More of an emphasis on physicality than ever and we've been pretty functional more than anything else.

Sterling Archer

I think he was genuinely expecting the United job until Ole was made permanent before the thorough interview and vetting process we were all promised. I can understand that and the CL final knocked the wind out of his sails.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is there some behind the scenes issues with Vertonghen, too? Contract issues, perhaps? Three games in a row on the bench? He’s twice the defender Alderweireld and Sanchez are.

Bwuk

He’s taken them as far as he can.

They won’t top a CL final.

always_hoping

United got 5 wins and 19 points from their last 15 league games. Poch hasn't had defenders such as Young and Jones to deal with, has got midfield options with more creativity and forward options that are meant to be the best outside of City and Liverpool in the league.

Ivor Ballokov

Out of those 15 games 4 were against City and one was against Liverpool, plus there was a meaningless game against Everton where their attention was on an upcoming CL final.

Losing to Bournemouth and West Ham were poor results but were played either side of the CL semi finals. So yeah, a poor run but there is a little context.

Jambalaya

[QUOTE="PepG, post: 24618686, member: 103882"/QUOTE]
With him they would win some trophies.I hate hate his style but at least we won Europa League under him.Imagine if Spurs or idk Arsenal won that , redcafe would be flooded with their fans who would tell that is best trophy on the world.

always_hoping

Out of those 15 games 4 were against City and one was against Liverpool, plus there was a meaningless game against Everton where their attention was on an upcoming CL final.

Losing to Bournemouth and West Ham were poor results but were played either side of the CL semi finals. So yeah, a poor run but there is a little context.
15 league games is that run. Defeats to Burnley,Chelsea,Southampton,Liverpool,Man City,West Ham,Bournemouth,Newcastle. 4 wins was against Huddersfield,Palace,Brighton and Villa all at home.

binary bot
The caf is batshit mental when it comes to Pochettino. Never seen a manager so harshly judged with a willingness to dismiss any context.

Ivor Ballokov

15 league games is that run. Defeats to Burnley,Chelsea,Southampton,Liverpool,Man City,West Ham,Bournemouth,Newcastle. 4 wins was against Huddersfield,Palace,Brighton and Villa all at home.
Ah right, it didn't specify and I've been on the rum.

That doesn't make for good reading, makes it more annoying that we still managed to miss out on the top four. The media had the title race, our awfulness and the CL final to focus on though, it'll be interesting to see at what point he starts getting criticised if results continue this season without those distractions.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We were more attractive under Redknapp, but that's some of the best football I've seen as a football fan. Was great stuff.

I'd say the earlier Poch teams were really good to watch - 15/16 and 16/17 we saw some fantastic football with some lovely, intricate passing moves. Smashed a few teams to bit in 16/17 in particular, which easily remains Pochettino's best team imo.

But for a while now the football hasn't been great. More of an emphasis on physicality than ever and we've been pretty functional more than anything else.
I think that was Alli debut season, wasn't it? Quartet of him, Son, Eriksen and Kane played some nice stuff too but overall I found Spurs to be a pretty functional yet effective team under Poch overall which is not a problem given the budget he's working at.

This season though it's been dire in 3 matches so far, United have genuinely produced miles better football than Spurs! I think the uncertainty around Eriksen isn't helping and maybe there are few things behind the door that the fans are unaware of. Its very strange because new stadium was opened this year, investment was also record high and yet things don't look smooth. Maybe you need to boot out Alderweireld and Eriksen who don't want to be there.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Lukaku was a lazy, unprofesional twat and i expect any manager worth his salt to get rid of him. I can almost guarantee you that if Poch was managing us, he would have done the same

SambaBoy

Poch has spoken about the transfer window making his squad unsettled and stated they won't be able to fully focus until it closes which indicates that Eriksen may be leaving, also maybe Vertonghen? seeing as he hasn't started yet. Could just be an excuse by Poch in all fairness, can't see either leaving before the deadline.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I think one of the reasons is, teams were open against Spurs at that time but they play defensive game now. As the team achieves something, opponents also starts to give more respect, so they play very defensive game and will try to hit on counters.