A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

90 + 5min

As I said couple of weeks ago. People are overrating what Pochettino has done for Spurs. He has been good for Spurs and he took them a step further but that step was not that big. Look at the squad he had when he first arrived. Look at table couple of years before he came. Spurs were not a bad team. They were very good and finished 4-6 in table. Not bad considering strenght of other top teams. Good manager? Absolutly. But I'll stop there before saying world class or top manager. 0 trophies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Poch doesn't even need a break he just needs a new project with fresh minds to mould and the money to bring in people he needs. After such a long period under his methods I do believe a large portion of our squad simply isn't responding to it any longer, and we've failed to follow the golden rule of always refreshing the team so that it doesn't become stale.

He's a great coach. One who is flawed for sure (he's not very good tactically, don't expect that) but there's few better in terms of developing and motivating players.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I know right, Michael Cox spent all the season before last going on about how Burnley were terrible, he's now tying to say Leicester aren't that good, all because of XG, according to XG Spurs should have won last night, did anyone that watched think that was the case?

Anyone that watched the game knew that it was the case. Pochettino has clowns making mistakes and lacking in terms of finishing. If Pochettino had more clinical and decisive players, it would have been Spurs who would have thrashed Bayern.

That what makes Pochettino so good. He is doing well with limited resources and a squad that is vastly overrated.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

Anyone that watched the game knew that it was the case. Pochettino has clowns making mistakes and lacking in terms of finishing. If Pochettino had more clinical and decisive players, it would have been Spurs who would have thrashed Bayern.

That what makes Pochettino so good. He is doing well with limited resources and a squad that is vastly overrated.
you don't win a game 7-2 if you aren't the better team

Amadaeus

you don't win a game 7-2 if you aren't the better team
Unless you have clowns on the pitch who keeps gifting the opposition scoring opportunities. Empirical evidence is right in front of you and after watching the game, I knew the score line was very deceptive because Spurs was a much better team that what the score line showed.

Don't bother. We could lose 10-0 and if we had more possession it would be proof that Pochettino is a genius.
Unfortunately this wasn’t possession statistics :(. I look at the whole picture and not just the scoreline. Watch the first half of the match and tell me, how in the world that Spurs only scored 1? Lack of quality finishing and decision making. I would be embarrassed in the players if was pochettino

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I know right, Michael Cox spent all the season before last going on about how Burnley were terrible, he's now tying to say Leicester aren't that good, all because of XG, according to XG Spurs should have won last night, did anyone that watched think that was the case?
Whenever I see Michael Cox pop up on my Twitter he always seems a bit of a twat. He has the tendency of treating his opinion as a fact because he found a stat to back it up. To be fair I don't follow him so maybe I've just seen a couple of his poorer tweets.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Sounds like you need a doctor and a generous portion of some lubricant because your head seems to be firmly wedged up poor Pochettino's arse. I admire your unwavering devotion to him, however it starts to become more than tedious when you are trying to positively spin a humiliating 7-2 defeat as evidence of 'what makes Pochettino so good'.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm glad I'm not as good as Pochettino...

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Whenever I see Michael Cox pop up on my Twitter he always seems a bit of a twat. He has the tendency of treating his opinion as a fact because he found a stat to back it up. To be fair I don't follow him so maybe I've just seen a couple of his poorer tweets.
on this weeks totally football show pod someone asked if, with all his tactical expertise, he'd ever considered coaching. His reply was he always enjoys playing football but doesn't care about winning or losing.

This man is paid to analyze tactics...

Amadaeus

Sounds like you need a doctor and a generous portion of some lubricant because your head seems to be firmly wedged up poor Pochettino's arse. I admire your unwavering devotion to him, however it starts to become more than tedious when you are trying to positively spin a humiliating 7-2 defeat as evidence of 'what makes Pochettino so good'.
If I didn’t have any evidence to support my statement then you will have a point. But, that is not the case as I knew during the game that such a result will occur and after the game, the xg supported my case that proved that Spurs were poor in terms of decisive output. It seems like other people that doubts evidence are in need of doctors.

alexthelion

He's a very good manager and has been unlucky not to win a trophy at Spurs.

In hindsight, he should have left earlier. Probably wanted to leave on a high, last season's CL final was his best shot.
If by unlucky you mean nowhere near then, yes, I'd agree.

He's underachieved with the players he has had.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If I didn’t have any evidence to support my statement then you will have a point. But, that is not the case as I knew during the game that such a result will occur and after the game, the xg supported my case that proved that Spurs were poor in terms of decisive output. It seems like other people that doubts evidence are in need of doctors.
An xG stat does not exonerate Pochettino from any culpability for his team's humiliating result last night, in spite of your best efforts to the contrary. You can claim that the result was misleading, that it was harsh on Spurs, but you cannot try and dress it up as another example of Pochettino's genius without appearing absurd and detached from reality.

Amadaeus

An xG stat does not exonerate Pochettino from any culpability for his team's humiliating result last night, in spite of your best efforts to the contrary. You can claim that the result was misleading, that it was harsh on Spurs, but you cannot try and dress it up as another example of Pochettino's genius without appearing absurd and detached from reality.
I don’t understand your post. How does the xg stat doesn’t exonerate Poch? It does exonerate Poch because his team created a lot of goal scoring chances, even more than Bayern and Poch’s players were not clinical enough to punish Bayern. On the other hand, Bayern were much more clinical with the less chance created. This is Trump kind of gaslighting that you are attempting. Pochettino with a better team would have thrashed Bayern. Evidence supports that and if he didn’t have clowns on the pitch making mistakes and missing chances then the result will be different.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t get United fans making out Poch hasn’t overachieved and that the football he plays is workmanlike. I think they have hit the wall after 5 years of pressing football, and that started last year. One of the factors in that is a small budget and small squad, which was what happened to Klopp at Dortmund.

Poch would do well with United’s young team but would need investment and someone good at recruiting so that he could renovate the squad after 3/4 years. I think if he had that he’d be back up to the Klopp level. Remember his teams tearing Klopp’s Liverpool apart a few years ago and that was without investment in the kind of players Liverpool have gone on to buy.

If United have the right technical director then it would be silly not to go after Poch.
That 4-1 at Wembley was Poch’s only win vs Klopp. And it was before we had Van Dijk and Alisson. It was as much down to a shambolic individual performance from Dejan Lovren as it was down to a good Spurs performance.

That being said I agree with your overall analysis. I think he would do well at Utd, certainly a huge upgrade on Ole. But I’m not sure he would want to jump straight into another prem job after Spurs. I think he’ll go to Europe.

It’s hard to see him staying at Spurs past this season. If he turns things around and they win a trophy and/or get top 4 it would mean leaving on a positive note which would align with his pre CL final comments. If they have a poor season then the decision may be out of his hands and/or he may not fancy what’s looking like something of a rebuild IF all the unsettled players were to leave.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don’t understand your post. How does the xg stat doesn’t exonerate Poch?
Ludicrous. A manager is now blameless regardless of the result or performance or his decisions or his tactics so long as his sides xG is better than that of his opponent :houllier:

Amadaeus

Ludicrous. A manager is now blameless regardless of the result or performance or his decisions or his tactics so long as his sides xG is better than that of his opponent :houllier:
So if a player miss multiple penalties in a match or in the case of the Bayern game yesterday if the players make multiple errors and missed multiple chances, we should blame the manager? That is the textbook definition of irrational thinking. No one with enough sense will blame the manager for that. Spurs was set up well, and they created loads of chances. Few mistakes in the back and players gave up. Not the manager fault.

Raven

I think everyone there, Poch included are just sick of the lack of ambition. He's a great manager, been one of the best in the league for a long time now. If Ole does bite the bullet this season, I hope it's Poch that comes in.

saivet

Do people think this is similar to Jose at Chelsea or a bit different?
I think it's quite different. The situation at Spurs seems like he needs a change of scenery, he's been there many years with little investment and players wanting out.

What happened with Jose at Chelsea looked like a big meltdown and potentially a man that has lost the plot. The thing with Jose was that he had at least won the league recently, but I think his situation did come across more concerning.

In Rainbows

I think everyone there, Poch included are just sick of the lack of ambition. He's a great manager, been one of the best in the league for a long time now. If Ole does bite the bullet this season, I hope it's Poch that comes in.
He's the same person that said trophies are only for the ego.

Micky Targaryen

I don't get all the posts downplaying Poch's managerial reign at Spurs. Meanwhile at United, we have Ole.........

The United way indeed.

jackal&hyde

Couldn't care if spurs finished 10th Poch is the exact profile of a manager we need during this rebuild.
What he is showing in the last few months now is that he can not motivate the team to get out of a bad spell and instead things are going from bad to worse; that is exactly what we have to avoid imo as we already drop our heads the moment things go wrong. And Spurs have arguably better leaders in the first 11 then we do.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Unless you have clowns on the pitch who keeps gifting the opposition scoring opportunities. Empirical evidence is right in front of you and after watching the game, I knew the score line was very deceptive because Spurs was a much better team that what the score line showed.

Unfortunately this wasn’t possession statistics :(. I look at the whole picture and not just the scoreline. Watch the first half of the match and tell me, how in the world that Spurs only scored 1? Lack of quality finishing and decision making. I would be embarrassed in the players if was pochettino
You fail to grasp football with all your analysis, the better team in sections of the game don't always win, possession means nothing if there is no cutting edge. Just because you have the most possession the most shots doesn't give you a divine right to win a game? Its kind of what makes football the game it is.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
So if a player miss multiple penalties in a match or in the case of the Bayern game yesterday if the players make multiple errors and missed multiple chances, we should blame the manager? That is the textbook definition of irrational thinking. No one with enough sense will blame the manager for that. Spurs was set up well, and they created loads of chances. Few mistakes in the back and players gave up. Not the manager fault.
Even if we accept the other points of your ridiculous analysis, since when did managers stop becoming accountable for their team making mistakes and losing all morale and motivation once they went behind?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Not kneejerking as I never rated him as anything special (see my post history).

He gets high praise and is always mentioned directly after Pep and Klopp as the next best coach for things that Wenger was getting ridiculed for: Playing attacking football on a budget without winning anything and just about making top 4.

Tottenham's rise to top 4 also has a lot to do with the demise of Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea more than Pochettino's coaching genius.

I know he made the CL final but he also, in the process, got wrecked by Barca in the group stages at home (a team that is notoriously bad away from home), got completely outplayed by Ajax only for them to bottle it within 1 half and with the help of some critical VAR decisions.

Spurs reached the CL final without 1 dominant display.

Now conceding 7 at home. This Bayern isn't even a special team like some years ago with Robben and Ribery.

7/10 coach. Too much unwarranted hype for making top 4. After Liverpool and City and with Ole coaching the worst Man United in decades, of course top 4 is what Spurs have to be challenging for with their squad.
I agree with most of what you say. To me in terms of talent/quality in the last 2-3 years I believe Poch Spurs has been up there with Simeone Atleti and Klopp Dortmund. Yet Dortmund and Atleti lifted some major titles, Atleti and Dortmund were also constantly losing key players off the top of my head I can only remember Poch losing Walker? He kept majority of this team together yet won nothing. I mean even in the league I'd say his side were hardly contenders they were just a top 4 team.

At the end he has done a decent job and has helped some of these players reach their potential, but compared to Klopp/Simeone he's still behind them. And has you said he doesn't have this special aura around him.

Fitchett

So he's had 5 years of stability at Tottenham with his team, never won a trophy in his 10 years as a manager, lost to OGS at Wembley earlier this year, record home defeat by an English team in the Champions League this week and some clowns on here still want him to be United manager!

ghagua

So he's had 5 years of stability at Tottenham with his team, never won a trophy in his 10 years as a manager, lost to OGS at Wembley earlier this year, record home defeat by an English team in the Champions League this week and some clowns on here still want him to be United manager!
And he did all that without any investments until this summer. In the meantime, Utd have blown near a billion and still not good enough.

Sir Scott McToMinay

5 years of stability? He turned Spurs into a serious team in the Premie League and the Champions League without a budget, what are you even talking about?

Do you realize many United supporters didn’t want Klopp when he was battling relegation with Dortmund? Look at them now.

Amadaeus

Even if we accept the other points of your ridiculous analysis, since when did managers stop becoming accountable for their team making mistakes and losing all morale and motivation once they went behind?
This is not fifa 20 on video consoles. If a player makes a mistake on the pitch, it is the players fault. The manager doesn’t have that much control on the player. With regards to motivation, the manager does have a part in that, but once again he is not in full control. As much as the manager tries to instill confidence in their players, if the players are not reciprocating those words from the manager there isn’t much the manager can do unless drop or substitute those players. I feel that Poch definitely wanted to make more changes to his team as he knew a lot of these players are losing motivation, but he was limited with the changes he could make. He is stuck with players who aren’t that talented and lacking motivation. Not a good place to be as a manager.

You fail to grasp football with all your analysis, the better team in sections of the game don't always win, possession means nothing if there is no cutting edge. Just because you have the most possession the most shots doesn't give you a divine right to win a game? Its kind of what makes football the game it is.
It doesn’t give you the right to win a game but it does give an accurate narrative that the team with those dominant statistics played well and on another day the results would have been different. In the case of Bayern, xg showed that Spurs had created lots of chances but because of lack of clinical finishing couldn’t finish Bayern of. That is only the offensive statistic, if you look at the defensive one, you will be aware of how clumsy Spurs players were in gifting Bayern Goalscorering chances.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This is not fifa 20 on video consoles. If a player makes a mistake on the pitch, it is the players fault. The manager doesn’t have that much control on the player. With regards to motivation, the manager does have a part in that, but once again he is not in full control. As much as the manager tries to instill confidence in their players, if the players are not reciprocating those words from the manager there isn’t much the manager can do unless drop or substitute those players. I feel that Poch definitely wanted to make more changes to his team as he knew a lot of these players are losing motivation, but he was limited with the changes he could make. He is stuck with players who aren’t that talented and lacking motivation. Not a good place to be as a manager.

It doesn’t give you the right to win a game but it does give an accurate narrative that the team with those dominant statistics played well and on another day the results would have been different. In the case of Bayern, xg showed that Spurs had created lots of chances but because of lack of clinical finishing couldn’t finish Bayern of. That is only the offensive statistic, if you look at the defensive one, you will be aware of how clumsy Spurs players were in gifting Bayern Goalscorering chances.
xG takes absolutely no context of the keepers ability, come on you should know this.

Amadaeus

xG takes absolutely no context of the keepers ability, come on you should know this.
It takes into context, the data required to analyze a goal scoring opportunity. You don’t even need xg to see how wasteful Spurs were in that game. You just need working eyes. I was in the matchday thread commenting about it and forecasting the event that will transpired. You can go into that thread and see my post, it was like I was Nostradamus. Maybe I m just a football genius, and normal people can’t see the things that I see during a game.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If he doesn’t want clumsy defenders he shouldn’t have brought Sanchez and Aurier to the club. @Amadaeus

Nor should he play Ndombele in a position where he’s basically forced to cover as a defensive midfielder, or continue to play Rose when he’s been a calamity for us nearly every week.

But he did do all that. And he did choose to start Alli who was (predictably) a total passenger. And the diamond did leave our midfield exhausted by the end trying to cover for our shite full backs, with our three midfielders pulled all over the place. The same shit happened against Leicester.

But no, nobody can blame Poch because we had a good spell at the start and a decent xG. He’s totally unaccountable for players he brings in, the mentality of the team in how easily we collapse now, or our defensive woes. It’s all purely down to the ‘clowns’ (fully fledged internationals) he has at his disposal.