A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not on the caf.

Apparently managers can only be praised for success, see Pep & Klopp.

Things go bad & its the illusive ‘backroom staff’ to blame.
You think Pep and Klopp haven't been blamed here when their teams have struggled? Think about that one for a sec.

Godfather

Nothing he can do with the slaughter going on in his squad.
This is ridiculous. He does a terrible job at the moment. Full stop. Does that make him a shit manager? Probably not as he has enough to show for that proves he is a decent one. But to act like he isn't responsible at all is simply laughable.

AFC NimbleThumb

You think Pep and Klopp haven't been blamed here when their teams have struggled? Think about that one for a sec.
Recency bias clouds their discussion.

Just because we think differently doesn’t mean I haven’t thought. Come to the discussion with the respect you’d expect of your own posts, this place is full of finger pointers.

Quit drawing conclusions from 2 sentence replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just saw the score.wow! That's beyond humiliation.

Definitely poch's last season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Look people, i know this might be hard for you to understand because you happened to have an absolute genius in charge for 25 years, but football is an environment where change is needed periodically to keep things from going stale

Capello just yesterday mentioned how in his own experience, it's impossible to coach the same team for more than 5 years - by year 5 players stop listening, because you're saying the same things you've told them for years. Motivating and getting through to them becomes impossible

People keep mentioning Klopp at Dortmund. Well Klopp left Dortmund precisely because he realized just that: that had he stayed on, they would have needed to change half the players. So he did the best thing for the club, he left, a new manager came in and with those same players Dortmund went from a moribund side to a side capable of actually challenging Guardiola's best bayern side in the league

Spurs needed to make bigger changes to their team in the summer, or change manager, because Pochettino's cycle with this particular group is over.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
He's a very good manager and has been unlucky not to win a trophy at Spurs.

In hindsight, he should have left earlier. Probably wanted to leave on a high, last season's CL final was his best shot.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Recency bias clouds their discussion.

Just because we think differently doesn’t mean I haven’t thought. Come to the discussion with the respect you’d expect of your own posts, this place is full of finger pointers.

Quit drawing conclusions from 2 sentence replies.
You're suggesting Klopp and Pep were always free from criticism, which is laughable. I haven't drawn any conclusions from it, you pretty much said it yourself.

AFC NimbleThumb

You're suggesting Klopp and Pep were always free from criticism, which is laughable. I haven't drawn any conclusions from it, you pretty much said it yourself.
I’m not suggesting they were ‘apways’ free of criticism, I went as far as to clarify ‘recency bias’.

What’s laughable is a person on the internet telling me what I’m saying despite an attempt to clarify.

You’re obviously hard of reading, & I’m out of niceties. Return to the topic at hand as your attempts are tiresome.

This is the Poch thread Mystic Meg.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m not suggesting they were ‘apways’ free of criticism, I went as far as to clarify ‘recency bias’.

What’s laughable is a person on the internet telling me what I’m saying despite an attempt to clarify.

You’re obviously hard of reading, & I’m out of niceties. Return to the topic at hand as your attempts are tiresome.

This is the Poch thread Mystic Meg.
You're the one who brought up Pep and Klopp. You said "managers can only be praised for success, like Pep and Klopp".

I think you have anger problems. Inferring Pep and Klopp aren't criticised in your post, and then getting angry at posters for not talking about Poch.

Rajma

This usually happens after you’ve won a few trophies. Spurs got to one champions league final and now the hungers gone? I think the players have realised they aren’t going to win anything at Spurs.
This usually happens when you have your star players grossly underpaid for years compared to their counterparts in other top teams in EPL and to boot the club is pricing you out of any move. Same as in any other workplace tbh.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I haven't read Poch's quotes yet, I assume he's trotted out his weekly line about how he got it wrong from the start?

charlenefan

He's a very good manager and has been unlucky not to win a trophy at Spurs.

In hindsight, he should have left earlier. Probably wanted to leave on a high, last season's CL final was his best shot.
How's he been unlucky? Spurs only made one final under him haven't they? A final where they were second best throughout

Eleven-Eighteen

So apparently some serious shit is going down in the Spurs squad. If tabloid reports are to be believed, their team is as cohesive as a pair of F1 drivers

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm still daft enough to want Poch.

Were Klopp's Dortmund not borderline flirting with relegation at the end? Feck it, it happens.

BlueHaze

I'm still daft enough to want Poch.

Were Klopp's Dortmund not borderline flirting with relegation at the end? Feck it, it happens.
He's had a rough time in the league for a long while now but I wouldn't call you daft for wanting him. He was my main candidate before all the feck ups started to happen but I would still want him. People are comparing it to hiring Mourinho but that is just completely wrong. Our main target when we hired Jose was the league and he kinda failed miserably but we still finished 2nd before the inevitable meltdown season.

Our main target now is CL qualification which I'm certain Poch would give us. Poch has also proved he is able to stay somewhere for a longer time unlike Jose. I would be very happy with Poch or Nagelsmann.

Alabaster Codify7

Looks like his final season, doesn't it.

Embarassing, humiliating result last night. I can see it leaking into the next league games, too. They seem to be on a bit of a slide now. He's peaked with the same squad of players, Levy's tightness has held him back really from kicking on to what should have been top gear, threatening the top two.

I think he'll see the season out and they'll part ways mutually at the end of the season - he'll go to Spain or Italy i reckon.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
How's he been unlucky? Spurs only made one final under him haven't they? A final where they were second best throughout
I guess, I meant unlucky in general, he's built a very good and competitive side but they always seemed short of something extra that would get them over the line. It's odd really, given how impressive they were under Pochettino, that they never actually won anything, not even a League Cup.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think it would be silly to not want Poch all of a sudden.
The guy has worked with a shoe string budget for years. Finally has money to spend, yet has 3 of his main players on their last years and seemingly not renewing. He's talked about massive unrest in the squad, which could be, or may not be his fault.

He's worked wonders with a Spurs side that have had a lack of funding, so I'd' be confident to give him the money to get it right here.
People who write Poch off just have to look at Klopp's last year at Dortmund and even Pep's first year with City.

This could be a perfect situation for us.
It's hard to sack Ole without a replacement, mid season, but if Poch gets the boot, we need to act fast in my opinion.

charlenefan

I think it would be silly to not want Poch all of a sudden.
The guy has worked with a shoe string budget for years. Finally has money to spend, yet has 3 of his main players on their last years and seemingly not renewing. He's talked about massive unrest in the squad, which could be, or may not be his fault.

He's worked wonders with a Spurs side that have had a lack of funding, so I'd' be confident to give him the money to get it right here.
People who write Poch off just have to look at Klopp's last year at Dortmund and even Pep's first year with City.

This could be a perfect situation for us.
It's hard to sack Ole without a replacement, mid season, but if Poch gets the boot, we need to act fast in my opinion.
Poch needs a break before taking on another job. Ideal scenario if we did go ahead and do it would be for him to get the sack mid season and we pick him up in the summer

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Poch needs a break before taking on another job. Ideal scenario if we did go ahead and do it would be for him to get the sack mid season and we pick him up in the summer
Maybe, but I'd still feel we'd need to sign him up to a pre deal.
Real Madrid act fast and we cant sit around

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe, but I'd still feel we'd need to sign him up to a pre deal.
Real Madrid act fast and we cant sit around
Would be massive pressure on Poch on him leaving 2 clubs and taking on another PL job. I honestly wish him well when he does go he's a very likable guy and definitely improved us from where Harry left off. As I have said before he isn't without his faults, but what manager isn't.

I feel like Madrid are highly likely to go for Jose.

PSG, however, may be a threat.
Id say he would probably take PSG over Real, but why would PSG ditch Tuchel for Poch?

Cait Sith

Not kneejerking as I never rated him as anything special (see my post history).

He gets high praise and is always mentioned directly after Pep and Klopp as the next best coach for things that Wenger was getting ridiculed for: Playing attacking football on a budget without winning anything and just about making top 4.

Tottenham's rise to top 4 also has a lot to do with the demise of Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea more than Pochettino's coaching genius.

I know he made the CL final but he also, in the process, got wrecked by Barca in the group stages at home (a team that is notoriously bad away from home), got completely outplayed by Ajax only for them to bottle it within 1 half and with the help of some critical VAR decisions.

Spurs reached the CL final without 1 dominant display.

Now conceding 7 at home. This Bayern isn't even a special team like some years ago with Robben and Ribery.

7/10 coach. Too much unwarranted hype for making top 4. After Liverpool and City and with Ole coaching the worst Man United in decades, of course top 4 is what Spurs have to be challenging for with their squad.

TRUERED89

Maaaan that Gnarby is one ruthless finisher, glad I watched it live last night, was fantastic for the neutrals. How much did Arsenal sell him for ? Or was it free transfer?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm a big Poch fan, but yeah, he hasn't been "unlucky" .

My biggest criticism of him as a manager is the way he seemingly doesn't bother with the domestic cups and Europa (when they were in it). Despite he himself never winning a trophy and Spurs not winning one in a decade. I just find it strange that he seems to think he's above them in that sense.

Still, I'm a big fan and would love him here, but it's his own fault he hasn't won any trophies with Spurs yet, imo. Or, at the very least, his own fault they haven't come closer to a trophy bar that CL campaign last season.

TRUERED89

My arsenal friend said it was free
The guy just destroyed the supposed 3rd best team in the PL and last seasons CL finalists at the new White Hart Lane like they were a children’s team. What a player, 4 goals against any PL team would be lauded!

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Maaaan that Gnarby is one ruthless finisher, glad I watched it live last night, was fantastic for the neutrals. How much did Arsenal sell him for ? Or was it free transfer?
Peanuts compared to his value now. Whoever decided to loan him to Pulis' West Brom deserves to be sacked.

TRUERED89

Pulis even said he wasn't the required standard to play for West Brom :lol:

Men like him are an enemy of football.
Well that Bayern coach has unleashed him into a beast. Pace, composure, directness, clinical finishing (left foot/ right foot), excellent display.

Needham

Moyes from winning nothing at Everton, Van Gaal already past it, Mourinho off the back of a miserable sacking and then a (club legend) failure at Cardiff. And now wait for Pochettino to start failing and come here on a self doubting downer? Can't we just get someone either at the very top of their game or genuinely up and coming for once?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs are morphing into the new Arsenal. As long as they are making the money train that is the CL the board and Levy are happy. The Spurs fans are turning into the new Arsenal fans. His time is done, time for him to move on, things have become stale, i respect what he has done for the club but it is time, etc etc.

results are secondary, cup trophies are secondary. Just make sure you are in the CL year after year.

Not that we can give it too much to Spurs atm, we are playing AZ Alkmaar after all.

Renegade

Die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Managers/players should jump ship when their hot. Screw fan loyalty.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If either have ambition, they'll move on asap. It could of course go very wrong as there'll be a lot to deal with for any new Spurs manager. If there's truth to upsets in the team that are enough to split it apart, whether because of money or otherwise, it'll be such a big job for Poch to even get back to where he was.

TRUERED89

Die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Managers/players should jump ship when their hot. Screw fan loyalty.
Well not every time I'm glad Giggs, Scholes, Neville, SAF etc didn't jump ship..