A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Weird reactions, are managers not allowed bad periods? Klopp was 18th or something in December with Dortmund in 2014/15 for comparison sake. Shit happens. Doesn't negate the progress he achieved with Spurs in the past years.
The reaction is baffling. Even with some context provided by Spurs fans.

Surely he's earned enough good will for Levy to boot the malcontents out the club and infuse some new talent, managed by Poch, and go again?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The reaction is baffling. Even with some context provided by Spurs fans.

Surely he's earned enough good will for Levy to boot the malcontents out the club and infuse some new talent, managed by Poch, and go again?
I think Poch would benefit from a change in scenery at this point.

Dr. StrangeHate

So who still wants him........
Regardless of what he does this season he has shown to be a better coach than Ole so far. For me if Ole continues like this and Poch is available. We should go for him. Tuchel is my 1st choice but he seems happy where he is.

hn4manunited

Tottenham was always going to get to this point. They have a great group of players who are playing hard together but getting paid much less than elsewhere. The only thing that will keep their motivation high is winning silverware. IMO, Poch not prioritizing winning any silverware whether it’s EFL or FA Cup is to be blamed. How long are these players going to play at those wage structures before they start thinking, it’s time to move on.

fergiesarmy1

Regardless of what he does this season he has shown to be a better coach than Ole so far. For me if Ole continues like this and Poch is available. We should go for him. Tuchel is my 1st choice but he seems happy where he is.
Is he gonna be a better coach of our puddings, I doubt it.

Lee565

Mass exodus on it's way for spurs come the summer, cant see kane staying after this season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sixth season in charge? With largely the same group of players?

Yeah, cycle's over and done with. No point prolonging this. Move on now, while Allegri is available

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How do you know?
There are loads of videos recently of them all laughing and chatting together during training for a start. Also a journalist with very good spurs connections has basically come out and said it's all bollocks on twitter which was then liked by Vertoghen.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This seems very similar to Klopp's last season with BVB. He can no longer motivate his players.

Edit.
If LVG and Mou were not good enough for Man Utd, Pochettino definitely won't make it either.
Compare it to Kloppo's last season at BVB all you want (not actually that many similiarities, but whatever, it seems to be the popular theme here now!) but one thing you cannot say is that Klopp couldn't motivate his players. He never lost the dressing room there.

What is happening with Poch at Spurs is very different, not sure 100% what the issues are, beyond what seems obvious, maybe it is a stale squad and players not wanting to be there, but it's obviously something that is not right, and yes, he does seem maybe to have lost the dressing room.

Dr. StrangeHate

Is he gonna be a better coach of our puddings, I doubt it.
I don't get where this belief that Ole is the best manager possible for United comes from. If Sir Alex was cloned would he be a better manager for our squad or is Ole still king. If we can get Pep or Klopp are they also worse than Ole for our squad. Do you believe there is no other manager in the world that can do a better job than Ole with our squad. I am genuinely curious now as the Ole in thread seems to imply that Ole is the best manager in the world for our squad and no one else can do better.

Tyrion

Doesn't negate the progress he achieved with Spurs in the past years.
Yes, it does. All that matters is the previous game. Therefore, he must be immediately sacked and replaced by Brendan Rodgers. He has lost 100% of his last 1 games and conceded an average of 7 goals in that period. At that rate they will get relegated. /s

Green_Red

Tottenham was always going to get to this point. They have a great group of players who are playing hard together but getting paid much less than elsewhere. The only thing that will keep their motivation high is winning silverware. IMO, Poch not prioritizing winning any silverware whether it’s EFL or FA Cup is to be blamed. How long are these players going to play at those wage structures before they start thinking, it’s time to move on.
Yea but who will pay the crazy fees Levy will demand? Running down a contract to move on isnt an ideal approach. Some players will be locked in for 5 years.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ok, so ..

I'm hearing a lot about how it's the players fault that we conceded 7 at home tonight. That somehow a backline featuring 4 internationals who start for their countries, with the French captain behind them, are so poor as individual players that they're incapable of putting in a competent performance in which we aren't completely taken apart by a not particularly brilliant Bayern team. It's complete and utter fecking nonsense. None of them are perfect players and all have their weaknesses (fullbacks in particular are a joke) but right now the way we're set up is simply magnifying those weaknesses, and the lot of them are clearly a basket full of nerves currently.

We set up, again, without a recognised defensive midfielder. Nobody seemed to be protecting our two ageing central defenders with two fullbacks who love to get forward (and often lose the ball) high up the pitch. I think it was meant to be Sissoko in that role, but he has zero positional discipline, and Pochettino should be aware that he's going to leave gaps all over the place, which is what happened. We looked bright going forward and winning the ball, but when Bayern got it and attacked the space, they had so much space in/around the box and for Gnabry and Coman to drive in to.

Furthermore, we played (as usual) with an incredibly high line. We persist with this tactic despite the fact that Bayern had two players who were ripping us apart when getting in behind, and midfielders very much capable of picking them out in those positions. A high line with slow central defenders and no defensive midfielder against the movement of Lewandowski and two flying wingers either side of him? When we're currently very low in confidence? It's suicide tactics. Pochettino setup like we're playing Aston Villa at home on a 10 game winning run. We were able to look bright in attacking positions because we have good ball carriers/forwards, but tactically were a complete mess when it came to stopping Bayern from getting in to scoring positions.

Aside from that, mentally we're shot as a team. We took the lead tonight, just like we did against Olympiakos, Leicester and Arsenal, but as soon as the pressure started getting applied and a goal went in, we gradually fell apart and showed zero ability to get a grip on what was happening on the pitch. People used to joke about us being Spursy, but for a good while under Poch we were actually a very resilient team, often held on to leads and also came back from losing positions, but now we're a team that doubts itself when in front and crumbles when it falls behind. A Pochettino team used to be one which showed a hell of a lot of fight, tonight it looked like players just wanted it to be over and limply accepted what was going on, even when the penalty got us back in to the game it didn't seem to trigger any kind of fight.

The truth is this has been building for a while. Over a long period Pochettino has grumbled in the press, been linked to moves away, culminating in him openly declaring he would consider it the end of his time at the club if we won the Champions League. I do think that gradual frustration at a lack of investment and turnover in the squad has simply led to Pochettino losing interest, and that kind of attitude can seep down in to the squad and lead to a team which simply isn't motivated to play to their top level. There hasn't really been an opportunity for him to move on, but if there had been, would he have taken it? I think so.

There's obviously issues unrelated to the manager. Several of our key players don't really want to be here any longer and that's bound to cause friction in the dressing room. They should have been moved on from the club and replaced, but instead we've left it to the last second. But Pochettino continues to start the likes of Eriksen, Toby and Aurier despite the alternatives being there, and it was him who (according to reports) basically failed to tell Trippier he wasn't wanted, leading to a bit of a crisis at fullback. I blamed Trippier a lot for poor performances last season, but his success at Atletico leads me to believe that defensively at least, our defenders right now are being set up to fail. We also get bizarre decisions like starting Alli when he looked barely league 2 level at Colchester and was embarrassing against Olympiakos, and seriously Aurier? After he was a complete moron against Southampton? Jesus christ. Lamela has shown the most fight of anybody this season and didn't even get on the pitch tonight.

Basically, I think it's done. Pochettino has never been a top manager tactically, which I do think is part of why we've failed to win a trophy despite being impressive, but has built a fantastic team through having a philosophy which works, and a squad which will run through walls for him. He built a legacy off the back of a lot of young players who he developed brilliantly, but now he has a lot of players who are ageing and can't press like mad dogs every week, but he's failed to adapt to the changing face of the squad. If he goes elsewhere and gets the time and backing to build his own team I think he'll be successful, because he's a fantastic and inspiring coach, but once a manager loses a dressing room it's almost impossible to recover from that.

And finally, stop saying tonight was a fluke or a one off. A huge defeat has been coming for ages. We should have been slapped for 6 or 7 by City in the second game of the season but for some reason Jesus Christ himself was on our side and stopped City from ripping us to shreds. Tactically we've been hugely naive and open for ages, individual quality from the likes of Kane or Son has been getting us through games but as a team we haven't put together a good run in over a year, and you can't accept that to simply turn around. Tonight could have been even worse - our penalty was soft and they should have had one. If we continue with Poch the games we have left vs City & Liverpool could be horrendous, proper us under AVB stuff.

Fecking long post so I don't really expect anyone to read it :lol:. But I needed to try and counter the bullshit about 'it's just players letting him down' or 'it was just a one off fluke', because it's nothing like that. People have been saying Spurs fans have been overreacting for fecking months now, when the fans who watch us week in and week out can clearly see there's something very wrong at the heart of the club. Our form over a large period of time has been nothing short of woeful, it's not just some blip at the club, it's a manager who no longer really wants to be here leading a squad of players who either don't really believe in him anymore, or want to leave themselves.

Tyrion

This seems very similar to Klopp's last season with BVB. He can no longer motivate his players.

Edit.
If LVG and Mou were not good enough for Man Utd, Pochettino definitely won't make it either.
Disagree. LVG was past it and Mourinho was too stubborn to adapt to our strengths and turned too much on the players once things went south. Pochetino achieved more in his time at Spurs than either of the other two managers in that period imo.

RedTiger

Half mast
Ok, so ..

I'm hearing a lot about how it's the players fault that we conceded 7 at home tonight. That somehow a backline featuring 4 internationals who start for their countries, with the French captain behind them, are so poor as individual players that they're incapable of putting in a competent performance in which we aren't completely taken apart by a not particularly brilliant Bayern team. It's complete and utter fecking nonsense. None of them are perfect players and all have their weaknesses (fullbacks in particular are a joke) but right now the way we're set up is simply magnifying those weaknesses, and the lot of them are clearly a basket full of nerves currently.

We set up, again, without a recognised defensive midfielder. Nobody seemed to be protecting our two ageing central defenders with two fullbacks who love to get forward (and often lose the ball) high up the pitch. I think it was meant to be Sissoko in that role, but he has zero positional discipline, and Pochettino should be aware that he's going to leave gaps all over the place, which is what happened. We looked bright going forward and winning the ball, but when Bayern got it and attacked the space, they had so much space in/around the box and for Gnabry and Coman to drive in to.

Furthermore, we played (as usual) with an incredibly high line. We persist with this tactic despite the fact that Bayern had two players who were ripping us apart when getting in behind, and midfielders very much capable of picking them out in those positions. A high line with slow central defenders and no defensive midfielder against the movement of Lewandowski and two flying wingers either side of him? When we're currently very low in confidence? It's suicide tactics. Pochettino setup like we're playing Aston Villa at home on a 10 game winning run. We were able to look bright in attacking positions because we have good ball carriers/forwards, but tactically were a complete mess when it came to stopping Bayern from getting in to scoring positions.

Aside from that, mentally we're shot as a team. We took the lead tonight, just like we did against Olympiakos, Leicester and Arsenal, but as soon as the pressure started getting applied and a goal went in, we gradually fell apart and showed zero ability to get a grip on what was happening on the pitch. People used to joke about us being Spursy, but for a good while under Poch we were actually a very resilient team, often held on to leads and also came back from losing positions, but now we're a team that doubts itself when in front and crumbles when it falls behind. A Pochettino team used to be one which showed a hell of a lot of fight, tonight it looked like players just wanted it to be over and limply accepted what was going on, even when the penalty got us back in to the game it didn't seem to trigger any kind of fight.

The truth is this has been building for a while. Over a long period Pochettino has grumbled in the press, been linked to moves away, culminating in him openly declaring he would consider it the end of his time at the club if we won the Champions League. I do think that gradual frustration at a lack of investment and turnover in the squad has simply led to Pochettino losing interest, and that kind of attitude can seep down in to the squad and lead to a team which simply isn't motivated to play to their top level. There hasn't really been an opportunity for him to move on, but if there had been, would he have taken it? I think so.

There's obviously issues unrelated to the manager. Several of our key players don't really want to be here any longer and that's bound to cause friction in the dressing room. They should have been moved on from the club and replaced, but instead we've left it to the last second. But Pochettino continues to start the likes of Eriksen, Toby and Aurier despite the alternatives being there, and it was him who (according to reports) basically failed to tell Trippier he wasn't wanted, leading to a bit of a crisis at fullback. I blamed Trippier a lot for poor performances last season, but his success at Atletico leads me to believe that defensively at least, our defenders right now are being set up to fail. We also get bizarre decisions like starting Alli when he looked barely league 2 level at Colchester and was embarrassing against Olympiakos, and seriously Aurier? After he was a complete moron against Southampton? Jesus christ. Lamela has shown the most fight of anybody this season and didn't even get on the pitch tonight.

Basically, I think it's done. Pochettino has never been a top manager tactically, which I do think is part of why we've failed to win a trophy despite being impressive, but has built a fantastic team through having a philosophy which works, and a squad which will run through walls for him. He built a legacy off the back of a lot of young players who he developed brilliantly, but now he has a lot of players who are ageing and can't press like mad dogs every week, but he's failed to adapt to the changing face of the squad. If he goes elsewhere and gets the time and backing to build his own team I think he'll be successful, because he's a fantastic and inspiring coach, but once a manager loses a dressing room it's almost impossible to recover from that.

And finally, stop saying tonight was a fluke or a one off. A huge defeat has been coming for ages. We should have been slapped for 6 or 7 by City in the second game of the season but for some reason Jesus Christ himself was on our side and stopped City from ripping us to shreds. Tactically we've been hugely naive and open for ages, individual quality from the likes of Kane or Son has been getting us through games but as a team we haven't put together a good run in over a year, and you can't accept that to simply turn around. Tonight could have been even worse - our penalty was soft and they should have had one. If we continue with Poch the games we have left vs City & Liverpool could be horrendous, proper us under AVB stuff.

Fecking long post so I don't really expect anyone to read it :lol:. But I needed to try and counter the bullshit about 'it's just players letting him down' or 'it was just a one off fluke', because it's nothing like that. People have been saying Spurs fans have been overreacting for fecking months now, when the fans who watch us week in and week out can clearly see there's something very wrong at the heart of the club. Our form over a large period of time has been nothing short of woeful, it's not just some blip at the club, it's a manager who no longer really wants to be here leading a squad of players who either don't really believe in him anymore, or want to leave themselves.
Nice write up bro.

Irrational.

Under a board that backs him and a world class DoF (which was what was meant to happen until the PSG result) we'll be unstoppable. :drool:

fergiesarmy1

I don't get where this belief that Ole is the best manager possible for United comes from. If Sir Alex was cloned would he be a better manager for our squad or is Ole still king. If we can get Pep or Klopp are they also worse than Ole for our squad. Do you believe there is no other manager in the world that can do a better job than Ole with our squad. I am genuinely curious now as the Ole in thread seems to imply that Ole is the best manager in the world for our squad and no one else can do better.
In the ole thread there are over 50% in your favour posting, I really think it does not matter who is in charge anymore until it’s changed from the top.

TheReligion

Abusive
Similar reasons, poor players that aren't up to it. Injuries to key players.

Yet because it's the CAF's lord and saviour, he's given a pass.
What reasons are similar? People are talking about the toxic atmosphere at Spurs and the rumours of unrest behind the scenes. That, along with a number of key players wanting to leave and animosity between manager and board.

How is that the same at United?

Dr. StrangeHate

In the ole thread there are over 50% in your favour posting, I really think it does not matter who is in charge anymore until it’s changed from the top.
So you truly believe that Ferguson or any other manager in the world can do no better than Ole with this squad.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
He's hurting his legacy with Spurs and ruining his options to become Real's next manager.

Should have left after his 2019 UCL final peak. His PL form in 2019 was pretty bad too.

mu4c_20le

His best time to come here was in the summer.. now this result will hang over his head for the rest of his life

fergiesarmy1

So you truly believe that Ferguson or any other manager in the world can do no better than Ole with this squad.
No because I don’t believe he is doing that bad with the squad he has, fergie had a team in the exact same place. Finished 13th, no coach is a miracle worker (maybe for a spell)

fergiesarmy1

I do. Guardiola got hammered 4 0 by Real in the semi finals a few years ago and Klopp finished 7th in his last season with Dortmund.
Never managed a big club to success but yes let’s sack our current manager for him and can’t see what can possibly go wrong

Dr. StrangeHate

No because I don’t believe he is doing that bad with the squad he has, fergie had a team in the exact same place. Finished 13th, no coach is a miracle worker (maybe for a spell)
I have probably misunderstood but are you saying Ole is doing better with this squad than Fergie would.