A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Waiting for @Amadaeus 's next post in this thread will be like refreshing AFTV's page to hear Ty's take on Arsenal's latest capitulation :(

Eddy_JukeZ

It would be quite amazing if we hired a 3rd manager on the wane and his best days behind us.

But maybe he just needs a new challenge.

However you feel about Poch, he's definitely better than Ole.

If he's the man to lead us back to the top, who knows.

el3mel

Can't see him staying past December with such form. He will get the sack and he will be our next manager 100%.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Waiting for @Amadaeus 's next post in this thread will be like refreshing AFTV's page to hear Ty's take on Arsenal's latest capitulation :(
His cycle has ended at Spurs like Klopp at Dortmund. Klopp had Dortmund near relegation in his last season. If Poch can do better than that, Spurs fan should be happy. Good news is that United will finally have a exceptional manager available. However, Madrid seems dire, they might also look at him. One thing for sure is that Pochettino is x∞ better than our current manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It would be quite amazing if we hired a 3rd manager on the wane and his best days behind us.

Poch is a young manager. He's had bad months but he's not on the wane, let's not go that far.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Do people seriously still want him here?
It would be a monumental mistake bringing Poch in now. Not because he's done or lost it or anything like that but because we'd be bringing him in at his lowest point in his managerial career - just like we did with Mourinho

You can see it has disaster written all over it but likewise you can see it being a move this board would make without a seconds hesitation as well

The players let him down imo, plus they need a new back 5.

Lloris - declining
Aurier - clown
Toby - too slow
Verts - too slow
Rose - too inconsistent/average

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

Beyond knee jerk to suddenly not want him.
He needs a new challenge.
Nothing knee jerk about it. Never wanted him here, always have had serious doubts about him, and rightly so. The football his teams play is usually alright but nothing special. He got Spurs to the CL final but not because of good football. Both City and Ajax were better but still lost. That's football. Now he's managing the best squad Spurs have had since he's been with them and they're imploding. Again.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This seems very similar to Klopp's last season with BVB. He can no longer motivate his players.

Edit.
If LVG and Mou were not good enough for Man Utd, Pochettino definitely won't make it either.

Judas

Open to offers

:lol: already? You do realise most managers leave clubs when things have gone bad, its a cycle. Not all managers leave teams when things are going great. It's madness to suggest a manager so young has already peaked.

Sweet Square

Because I'd rather he resign than get sacked. Either way he needs to go now.
You really think Levy would sack him ? Who would come in ?

Pochettino has a tendency to go through really shite spells, granted this is big one but I can see you lot being fine by Christmas. If he does leave I would happily take him at United.

always_hoping

Embarrassing night for Poch and his team. A manager that has lost his dressing room it seems.

Eddy_JukeZ

:lol: already? You do realise most managers leave clubs when things have gone bad, its a cycle. Not all managers leave teams when things are going great. It's madness to suggest a manager so young has already peaked.
I did say IF tbf.

I didn't say that his best days are definitively behind him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

At 47, I think it would be daft to write him off like that. He’s yet to manage a club with any sort of budget.

His side peaked, he admitted as much before the CL final, he said he thinks it was time for a rebuild and unsurprisingly it didn’t happen over the summer.

I think we would be daft not to go for him and I think he’d be genuinely interested considering the age of our squad and we surely have some money in the bank to make it his own.

Judas

Open to offers
There's tactically much more intriguing managers than Poch, he's by far no Klopp. But he would be a automatic upgrade on Ole, but he's got to work with much better talent at Spurs than we currently have.

el3mel

I always had big problems with him and his tactical style, however I'm still firm on the point that the last downfall isn't just because he's a bad manager, but more like it's time for him and Spurs to just move on. He's not a top tier coach, however he's not that terrible either and as I and others mentioned previously, Klopp reign at BVB ended the same way.

I don't think if he gets the job here he will much, however I'm sure he will be able to build a decent team and develop players, setting the base for the next manager to win things.

I'm 100% he will be our manager comes next season. Maybe even in Jan 2020, who knows.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
It would be a monumental mistake bringing Poch in now. Not because he's done or lost it or anything like that but because we'd be bringing him in at his lowest point in his managerial career - just like we did with Mourinho

You can see it has disaster written all over it but likewise you can see it being a move this board would make without a seconds hesitation as well
I don't reckon. It's similar situation to Klopp at Dortmund. He's taken that Spurs team to new heights and that required a buildup of such pressure, it's eventually blown. They were close to winning something but couldn't get over the line. He's done for sure at Spurs something is not right there. What could he do with an actual transfer budget though?

Can't believe people knee jerk writing him off. Was Klopp a useless manager too because he had Dortmund near relegation? Some people cant see past the end of their nose.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You really think Levy would sack him ? Who would come in ?

Pochettino has a tendency to go through really shite spells, granted this is big one but I can see you lot being fine by Christmas. If he does leave I would happily take him at United.
We have been fecking awful for a year now. Thus is not a 'bad run' it's a significant problem that appears to be getting worse.

mu4c_20le

Why is it so surprising that Spurs fans want him out? They can (and need to) attract better if they want to hit higher heights before they stagnate. They will be fine without him.

Ekeke

pretty much. more resources, should do better than spurs but he isnt perfect and it might not be much better than mourinho/ole

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Don't remember you being a regular in UCL or the top 4 before he arrived?
2 out of the 3 seasons beforehand.

We used to win at least one trophy per decade, having been decent prior to the 90s, but we're about to exit the '10s with nothing, despite having one of the best sides in our history