A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When you have clowns in the squad like Aurier there's not much you can do.
He is with Spurs for 5-6 years, if they have clowns then that's because Poch signed them.

Anyways hopefully he gets sacked and we will hire him. He is very good coach.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This usually happens after you’ve won a few trophies. Spurs got to one champions league final and now the hungers gone? I think the players have realised they aren’t going to win anything at Spurs.
A bigger reason for hunger to dissipate. If you are always told winning a trophy isn't a priority. Eventually it will become your mindset. That stance is finally starting to truly haunt poch. The signs were there last season, but the UCL run after under funding during the season, buried that in the background......

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Moyes from winning nothing at Everton, Van Gaal already past it, Mourinho off the back of a miserable sacking and then a (club legend) failure at Cardiff. And now wait for Pochettino to start failing and come here on a self doubting downer? Can't we just get someone either at the very top of their game or genuinely up and coming for once?
Why are you acting like Pochetino is already our next manager?

TRUERED89

Surely you're not absolving Poch from any blame? it was 7-2!! As soon as Ndombele came off they fell apart, Poch should have immediately recognised that and addressed it.

Needham

Based on what? A certain Allegri with twice the pedigree is available too. Its not close to a given a poch would get picked by United. He has other big clubs that would gladly jump at the chance to get him even before us
Yeah I've read he's learning English to help him get the job. Inspiring stuff.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Tbh I'm not sure Poch would want come here. Our squad isn't really better than Spurs. I don't think Poch wants to compete for the top 4 trophy anymore.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don’t get United fans making out Poch hasn’t overachieved and that the football he plays is workmanlike. I think they have hit the wall after 5 years of pressing football, and that started last year. One of the factors in that is a small budget and small squad, which was what happened to Klopp at Dortmund.

Poch would do well with United’s young team but would need investment and someone good at recruiting so that he could renovate the squad after 3/4 years. I think if he had that he’d be back up to the Klopp level. Remember his teams tearing Klopp’s Liverpool apart a few years ago and that was without investment in the kind of players Liverpool have gone on to buy.

If United have the right technical director then it would be silly not to go after Poch.

Reactions: SteveJ

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Do you wish him the best if he goes to United?
TBH yeah, I love the guy like I said I wouldn't really care if he made United a success again. I think however he has been in England now for almost 7/8 years, he would be going to a United team to start all over again with a new project, probably without Pogba. He would again be trying to play catch up to City and Liverpool so the pressure on him would be massive. I think he will leave England in the summer if he doesn't walk/sacked first.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

He signed Aurier. For a decent fee. He also made the decision to sell Trippier, who looked like a clown under Poch and now looks great under Simeone.

He also makes the decision to start Rose every week, decided to go with Alli (again) and decided not to go with a defensive midfielder to cover two slow central defenders playing in a high line vs two of the fastest wide players around.

Oh and he decides nearly every week to go with his shitty fecking diamond, which demands so much workrate from our central midfielders and they end up being pulled out of position constantly.

So whilst yes, we do have personnel problems and it's not all Pochettino's fault, let's not try and make out he's totally innocent when a team full of top internationals managed by him ships 7 goals at home. When that happens something has gone very wrong tactically and the manager has failed to intervene in order to stop that. Mentally he's failing to motivate them or inspire any kind of fighting spirit right now too, which again .. the bucks stops with him when that happens.

People trying to place all the blame on the players is honestly laughable. I wouldn't expect a championship team to concede 7 goals at home.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think he will leave England TBH, wish him all the best where ever he goes to be honest. I dunno why you think its so obvious.
Because we love a "name" manager who is on the way down.

Except for currently, where we have a guy who had nowhere to go as he didn't have a rep :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What do you mean he is “on the slide”, he is 47 years old.
The whole squad is done, they’ve come “second” too many times, he did a phenomenal job with Spurs, regardless whether or not he won a cup or whatever.
"did", I feel is the key word here.

He signed Aurier. For a decent fee. He also made the decision to sell Trippier, who looked like a clown under Poch and now looks great under Simeone.

He also makes the decision to start Rose every week, decided to go with Alli (again) and decided not to go with a defensive midfielder to cover two slow central defenders playing in a high line vs two of the fastest wide players around.

Oh and he decides nearly every week to go with his shitty fecking diamond, which demands so much workrate from our central midfielders and they end up being pulled out of position constantly.

So whilst yes, we do have personnel problems and it's not all Pochettino's fault, let's not try and make out he's totally innocent when a team full of top internationals managed by him ships 7 goals at home. When that happens something has gone very wrong tactically and the manager has failed to intervene in order to stop that. Mentally he's failing to motivate them or inspire any kind of fighting spirit right now too, which again .. the bucks stops with him when that happens.

People trying to place all the blame on the players is honestly laughable. I wouldn't expect a championship team to concede 7 goals at home.
So why isn't there a backup for Aurier? Trippier looked awful last season, he wasn't pulling up any trees lots of spurs fans were on his back saying he needs to leave. So I'm not sure Poch was wrong to get rid. What's the issue with starting Rose? What other options do you have? Davies is no better.

I agree Alli shouldn't be starting, but who else would play in his position, Eriksen? He's been just as bad. What other DM do you have at the club apart from Dier? Too many individual errors cost you last night rather than formation. Winks, Toby, Aurier and Ndombele all doing stupid things for about 4 of the goals.

AlwaysRed66

Moyes from winning nothing at Everton, Van Gaal already past it, Mourinho off the back of a miserable sacking and then a (club legend) failure at Cardiff. And now wait for Pochettino to start failing and come here on a self doubting downer? Can't we just get someone either at the very top of their game or genuinely up and coming for once?
Will we have had our Wilf McGuinness; Frank O'Farrell; Tommy Docherty; Dave Sexton, now awaiting our Ron Atkinson, before we get back to SAF.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I m enjoying that Spurs fan are turning on Poch. When they realize how hard it is to finish top four without him, reaching champions league final, being the top team in the league in 16/17 in regards to xg, and start competing with Everton for the most overrated squad, they will be on their knees asking for Pochettino back. Arsenal fans sees how hard life is after Wenger even after spending so much. Spurs might even get relegated post Poch. It will be a joy to watch.
What :lol: That's the least meaningful achievement I've seen.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Argh, not bloody xG again...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
So why isn't there a backup for Aurier? Trippier looked awful last season, he wasn't pulling up any trees lots of spurs fans were on his back saying he needs to leave. So I'm not sure Poch was wrong to get rid. What's the issue with starting Rose? What other options do you have? Davies is no better.

I agree Alli shouldn't be starting, but who else would play in his position, Eriksen? He's been just as bad. What other DM do you have at the club apart from Dier? Too many individual errors cost you last night rather than formation. Winks, Toby, Aurier and Ndombele all doing stupid things for about 4 of the goals.

I thought Trippier was awful but tbh seeing how he's doing at La Liga and is thriving under a manager who is setting up his team well is making me think that maybe the problem doesn't lie in individual quality, but the way we're setting up and the atmosphere around the squad. If players leave and look different for a different club, you surely have to ask is it their ability or the manager? I even think Kane and Rose for example look significantly better for country than club whenever they play.

Rose makes a mistake pretty much every game. Davies isn't 'better' per say, but he's less error prone. When a fullback is making a mistake a game you have to give the back up a go, otherwise what message are you sending out? That it's ok to constantly be a feck up, you still have a place. Same with Aurier - total moron on the weekend, gets a CL start on the Tuesday. Shite management.

Lamela has been our POTS but was on the bench. Aside from that Lucas can play behind the striker, or we could have gone 4-3-3 with 3 central midfielders, likely leading to more protection and the midfield not working so fecking hard due to a lack of wingers. Dier was on the bench and whilst I don't rate him that highly, if you're going to play the way we did last night you need somebody to cover for errors and break up play.

Individual errors AND the way we were set up cost us the game. Every error we made got punished because Bayern players had so much time and space to play in when they got in to our half, we were so open. We played extremely high up the pitch with Toby/Vertonghen offered no protection despite ageing legs. Pochettino hasn't adapted at all to the changing nature of his backline, and still plays like we have those two in their prime and rose/walker bombing down the flanks with Dier or Wanyama protecting them. It's mental.

Our midfield ended up exhausted by the end of it because the diamond makes them run all day and there's no positional discipline at all. We're setting up like we can play like Man City when we don't remotely have the players for it, and Pochettino isn't learning from that at all.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Walker Peters at RB is the back up, Skipp could be a defensive midfielder of sorts.

The formation has ben the problem for a good 9 months, we have players much more suited to a 4-2-3-1. Are you trying to defend Poch here because you would like him at United? Most Spurs fans aren't out to crucify Poch most of us like him and wish he could go on, the truth is as me and other fans on here have been saying for months if not longer is, Poch is not perfect. Lack of tactical diversity, lack of in game management and stubbornness in his ways have all gone against him even going back to when he was first appointed.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Argh, not bloody xG again...
I know right, Michael Cox spent all the season before last going on about how Burnley were terrible, he's now tying to say Leicester aren't that good, all because of XG, according to XG Spurs should have won last night, did anyone that watched think that was the case?

Walker Peters at RB is the back up, Skipp could be a defensive midfielder of sorts.

The formation has ben the problem for a good 9 months, we have players much more suited to a 4-2-3-1. Are you trying to defend Poch here because you would like him at United? Most Spurs fans aren't out to crucify Poch most of us like him and wish he could go on, the truth is as me and other fans on here have been saying for months if not longer is, Poch is not perfect. Lack of tactical diversity, lack of in game management and stubbornness in his ways have all gone against him even going back to when he was first appointed.
Who are these people?

No Tuchel is my guy, I just think some of you guys are being harsh on Poch. 4231 is awful do you have the players for that either? FB area is a major weakness plus you need a VERY good #10 Eriksen doesn't look right either.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Who are these people?

No Tuchel is my guy, I just think some of you guys are being harsh on Poch. 4231 is awful do you have the players for that either? FB area is a major weakness plus you need a VERY good #10 Eriksen doesn't look right either.
Nor would you if you were starting in the same team as the bloke who was smashing your wife.

lel

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Who are these people?

4-2-3-1 was what he used when we were playing our best football, easily occasionally changing to a 4-3-3. They are both players who were supposed to be getting first team football after appearing last season. We were in for Dybala and and agreed terms with Fernandes so yeah we were looking to replace Eriksen.

4-2-3-1 was what he used when we were playing our best football, easily occasionally changing to a 4-3-3. They are both players who were supposed to be getting first team football after appearing last season. We were in for Dybala and and agreed terms with Fernandes so yeah we were looking to replace Eriksen.
You played your best football when Rose and Walker were at their peaks and when Eriksen was good. Plus Dembele and Dier were two rock solid DMs, you don't really have that anymore. I think a 433 would probably work better for you especially with the midfielders you have available.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I honestly think when Lo Celso's back 4-3-3 is our best option.

Lloris, Walker Peters, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Lamela, Kane, Son is what I'd like to see, with the likes of Winks/Lucas rotating in regularly.

Dier hasn't been great for a while but should get an extended run as he's still young and we need a DM. He'd also give ndombele/lo celso the platform to do what they're best at: get forward and create.

I'd even give Sissoko a shot at right back a couple of times. Seems to have had some decent spells when forced to play there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You played your best football when Rose and Walker were at their peaks and when Eriksen was good. Plus Dembele and Dier were two rock solid DMs, you don't really have that anymore. I think a 433 would probably work better for you especially with the midfielders you have available.
I would play anything to get rid of the formation we are playing right now TBH. Trippier in his first season after Walker left was good and Rose was decent. Dier is still here but seems to have fitness problems and Dembele was good but we could never really rely on him. GLC's injury this season has came at a very bad time and I think Ndomele looks like he could be a very good player.

passing-wind

Couldn't care if spurs finished 10th Poch is the exact profile of a manager we need during this rebuild. I could see the likes of Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Mctomminay playing much better under Poch due to his coaching pedigree. Howe / Allegri to spurs and Poch to us would be a good rotation.