A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Smithy89

If i was Poch i wouldn't wanna come anywhere near this Ed, the Glazers and this club.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes, and this is where people are undervaluing the job that Ole is doing here. He will be expected to win trophies over the next season or two, but if he doesn't and the club decide to make a change then his successor will certainly inherit a far better situation than Ole did.
That kind of depends. If Klopp came to Old Trafford (for example) how many players would he feel able to adapt to his tactical way of doing things. I mean DdG would be gone straight away for example. It depends if Ole is genuine progress or a blind alley.

OrcaFat

You don't think it's polarising to state, as if it was a simple fact, that the club wouldn't even consider Poch if we were without a manager? Or to not even bother to back some up such a claim with arguments, while ignoring any counter-arguments? I just completely dismantled your claim that you could pick any five managers from the top-half of the table and they'd all be better than Poch, and you simply decided to ignore it. Get off your high horse. If anyone has been polarising here, it's you.
Okay. He might be in the conversation - I don’t think he will be and I’ve said why but I may be wrong. And yes I have been guilty of polarised statements and I’ve already said why, but, still, it doesn’t help create interesting debate so hands up there.

But what I’m getting from you is not interesting either. Maybe it’s just not an interesting debate.

I’m not in it to dismantle your argument but then I have to say I’m not sure what your argument is. Is it that you actually believe that Poch is better than all the managers in the Prem (apart from the ones who won’t happen) and all the managers in Europe (including the ones whose names you don’t know)? And if that is your argument I’m not sure why you believe that.

I guess you just like Poch. Do you have to have a good reason? Not really.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That kind of depends. If Klopp came to Old Trafford (for example) how many players would he feel able to adapt to his tactical way of doing things. I mean DdG would be gone straight away for example. It depends if Ole is genuine progress or a blind alley.
Every manager will want a couple of players. Might be a tactical approach or they might be trusted lieutenants from before. Thats not what I mean.

The age of the squad. The mentality. The wage bill. The amount of highly paid players not contributing. All of this is being addressed and will be of benefit should the need to replace him come.

glazed

Every manager will want a couple of players. Might be a tactical approach or they might be trusted lieutenants from before. Thats not what I mean.

The age of the squad. The mentality. The wage bill. The amount of highly paid players not contributing. All of this is being addressed and will be of benefit should the need to replace him come.
But what happens if you have 11 players who are used to being told by Ole to improvise in a very loose system, and then a Pep or a Conte comes along with very specific tactical demands these players are not able to cope with because they were literally selected to have the opposite mentality?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
But what happens if you have 11 players who are used to being told by Ole to improvise in a very loose system, and then a Pep or a Conte comes along with very specific tactical demands these players are not able to cope with because they were literally selected to have the opposite mentality?
Well first of all I dont believe any top level managers would ever implement a very loose, improvisational approach, but what you are describing sounds just like the mistakes that Woodward has made previously with his managerial appointments. Its on him to ensure that we arent flip-flopping from one extreme to another tactically

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He should go to Italy and win nothing so he can say he's been to 3 different countries as a manager and hadn't won a thing. Consistency!

glazed

Well first of all I dont believe any top level managers would ever implement a very loose, improvisational approach, but what you are describing sounds just like the mistakes that Woodward has made previously with his managerial appointments. Its on him to ensure that we arent flip-flopping from one extreme to another tactically
But isn't that exactly how Ole does things? To be fair other do too, like Rudi Garcia at Lyon (if Memphis Depay is to be believed.) So it's not altogether crazy.

This is exactly why we need a DoF calling the shots, not Ed Woodward.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wanted him to replace Fergie after Pep chose Bayern. Still want him now. It's about time we had a manager who can coach his teams to play good football.

BlueHaze

It is time. We all know it has to be done. We are on the verge of losing our identity as Manchester United.
I would take the chance on him too 100% but it ain't happening with these cash collecting leeching imposters we have as owners. They know feck all about football or any other sport for that matter and I could honestly even see Poch crumble under the leadership of those cnuts.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The season will be dead and buried before we do what needs to be done. Don't waste your time.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I would go for this. It’s not all Ole’s fault, but if we don’t have a competent director and organisation then the best we can hope for is a coach who can improve our players and have us competing above ourselves.

Completely outclassed today at home by Crystal Palace and a midfield of McArthur, McCarthy, Townsend and Jeff Schupp.

Yagami

Good post resistant
yay we've pissed away most of the window.

Let's bring him in now so he has feck all time to do anything.
Poch isn't like our other managers post Fergie. Regardless of a teams quality, he can coach them to play good, cohesive football.

Bring him in ASAP.

Bojan11

Same shit will happen with Spurs. Levy didn’t back him. Woodward will do the same after a year.

redshaw

We won't be that proactive.

If we finish out the top 4 then I can see Ole going.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would go for this. It’s not all Ole’s fault, but if we don’t have a competent director and organisation then the best we can hope for is a coach who can improve our players and have us competing above ourselves.

Completely outclassed today at home by Crystal Palace and a midfield of McArthur, McCarthy, Townsend and Jeff Schupp.
They rang rings around Pogba and Mctominah.

Pogba for me needs to go. You just dont know which Pogba will turn up. He is hot and cold and you cannot rely on him.

Godfather

He'd probably get what he wants in his first season and then hung dry just like every manager before him. Is he better than Ole? Pretty sure he is. Will he succeed? With a board like that hell no

SAFMUTD

No point in discussing him, Ole has been given a chance again and wont be sacked until December at least.

A terrible mistake in my opinion but thats how we roll.

SplitzMagic

Wouldn't be surprised if he's already on UTDs payroll considering he's been out of work for so long and no team has snapped him up.

Reckon utd signed him up the moment he became available and paid him a hefty sum to wait.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They rang rings around Pogba and Mctominah.

Pogba for me needs to go. You just dont know which Pogba will turn up. He is hot and cold and you cannot rely on him.
I agree, for all those who talk up his class, it’s all too infrequent. Our midfield should be dominating a game like that. Palace should be lucky to see the ball.

That suggests major coaching issues to me too, but, apparently, it’s not cool to be concerned about the manager or coaching staff.

crossy1686

career ending
Bringing a new manager in now is just what the board want. Gives them the perfect opportunity to not invest and the new manager will need time to 'evaluate the squad' again.

Member 90887

Wouldn't be surprised if he's already on UTDs payroll considering he's been out of work for so long and no team has snapped him up.

Reckon utd signed him up the moment he became available and paid him a hefty sum to wait.
What now? How would that make any sens?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Same shit will happen with Spurs. Levy didn’t back him. Woodward will do the same after a year.
You can’t compare levy backing his manager and Woodward backing ours. Our investment under Woodward, post Sir Alex is significantly greater than Spurs and more than most top team even with Ole as charge. Pochettino will get more backing here than he did at Spurs as long as Ole doesn’t completely squander all the investment we have made in him. For example, if we sign Sancho for £100m plus this season, I feel next window, our next manger will not have the luxury to spend that much. Maybe that is a reason why Woodward has not open the United warchest for Sancho yet because he feels that Ole won’t be here next season.

DickDastardly

Only viable option in todays football.

Give Ole 10 games.

If we can score 5 goals from open play, he can keep his job.

If not ( and i highly doubt we can), he should just leave by himself. Or get sacked.

Sweet Square

Brilliant idea letting newbies post on here.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
To be honest I don't think we will go anywhere with Ole. We look good for few games and then we play like we did today.

He had 18 months now. We will regret not going for Poch

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You can but that is something what clubs with ambition do. We will wait until Christmas (when Poch will be somewhere else).
And it is not one game. He is here two years.
Right, all the talk on here was Ole got us top 4 he needs a chance. Believe me if Poch comes in, if he does, and if its anything like his first season with us you will be as equally fecked off. I love Poch and honestly think he would do very well at United but Ole needs at least 5-10 games if not you will set yourselves back 1-2 seasons.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That's woodwards plan.

Dont buy Ole any players. Watch the team lose.

Soon as the transfer window passes put pressure on the manager and then sack him after one colossal loss.

Hire manager.

Repeat.