A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

sparx99

If he joins, he is not smart, but an idiot
He’ll make enough money to support his family for generations whether he succeeds or fails.

And if he succeeds he becomes a legendary manager of one of the biggest clubs in world football.

There’s nothing to lose.

USREDEVIL

Should we start the Poch Out thread soon? This is a poisoned chalice thanks to Ed and the Glazers. All of this pent up desire for success without the backing on the pitch. Recipe for disaster. The only thing that will change if we continue this route is the fan's expectations. Once they sink low enough to the level the board are capable of, then the battle is over.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Am a fan. After dealing with Pro-Jose and (admittedly few) Ole cultists I always wondered when it will finally be my turn to be on the giving end. Looking forward to being a Pro-Poch Cultist on here. Get behind the manager, not a true fan, hasn't been backed and all those phrases will soon be my turn. Hurrah
:lol:
Does he? He was well timed with Walker and Rose, he was also at the helm when Rose fell to shit and preferred Davies over him. He signed Trippier then sold him when Toby and Tripper fell out. There is one player who was the most important to Poch and Spurs and was the main reason to why his team fell apart.
Of course. You're also overlooking his time at Southampton where he had 'r' Shaw and Clyne playing really well, too.

Hawks2008

I think he's an upgrade on Ole, I don't think he's a Pep/Klopp level manager though.

This club is fundamentally fecked from top to bottom though from a toxic playing group that has thrown multiple coaches under the bus to an incompetent board. I don't think any manager can do good work in this squalor.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Am a fan. After dealing with Pro-Jose and (admittedly few) Ole cultists I always wondered when it will finally be my turn to be on the giving end. Looking forward to being a Pro-Poch Cultist on here. Get behind the manager, not a true fan, hasn't been backed and all those phrases will soon be my turn. Hurrah
:lol: It will be fun. You won't even be noticed though with Poch's mother battling everyone by herself.

Seriously, I hope we are in contact with him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Look I think Poch could do well at United, but how the feck can any United fan not see this for what it is. The board fail Ole then leak stories about looking to go for Poch.... I mean its blatantly scapegoating Ole for their own failings. They will do the same to Poch and then scapegoat him.
How did the board fail Ole when he has had close to £300m to spend on players? Pochettino had less than or almost equal to that in 5 years at Spurs compared to Ole 2 years. Unlike Ole, Pochettino can work well without support of the board. Especially with a team like United that already has established world class talent. At Spurs, he did not have such a great foundation. Regardlese, even if the board doesn’t support Poch as you would coin it, Poch can still find success. That is how he got you into the champions league final and consistently top four. Howver, our board has supported all our managers beside maybe Moyes, so I have no doubt Pochettino will get supported as well.

Greck

How did the board fail Ole when he has had close to £300m to spend on players? Pochettino had less than or almost equal to that in 5 years at Spurs compared to Ole 2 years. Unlike Ole, Pochettino can work well without support of the board. Especially with a team like United that already has established world class talent. At Spurs, he did not have such a great foundation. Regardlese, even if the board doesn’t support Poch as you would coin it, Poch can still find success. That is how he got you into the champions league final and consistently top four. Howver, our board has supported all our managers beside maybe Moyes, so I have no doubt Pochettino will get supported as well.
If i didn't know any better I'd say that guy almost seems a little too worried about Poch coming here. He's def the right man. None of the oppo fans were trying to convince us out of signing Ole

Wilt

Everyone knows Pochettino is waiting for the Utd job, possibly the City job too. So let’s stop fecking about and give it to him.

I’m absolutely positive he can do better than Ole.

gajender

I don't rate Pochetinno highly at all but he is clearly a better manager than Ole and though his reputation seems to be of a attacking manager I personally believe he prefers much more balanced set up and actually knows how to setup his team's defence properly may be he can get the tune out of our expensive back line.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I want the version of Poch before 2018/19 (or was it 17/18).

The latter Poch is boring and seems tired/demotivated.
The latter poch took Spurs to the champions league final. But, I understand your sentiment. Spurs players could not keep up with Pochettino intense training regime anymore, so a lot of the high pressing that he modernize in the premier league when he arrived, was not as potent anymore as his team was aging and their board did not give him the support to refresh the squad. At United, like @GlastonSpur stated, he will cut oit the pri Madonna from the team, and build a structure of high energetic and solid support behind Bruno. He will introduce maurading fullbacks that will give liverpool a run for their money, and also give us players that are good with intricate passing, intelligent movement, and good interplay. We will finally see good football at United.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
See the below:

To correctly slightly, I'm pretty sure Poch wanted rid of Baldini and then Mitchell came in, and either Poch wasn't keen or they fell out, because Poch moaned about a DoF again and they put Mitchell on gardening leave until he left.

Seriously, if there's any two single things that a BS about poch it's that he has any sort of agent or 'representatives', and that he would work with a DoF. I'm pretty sure he'd fall out with United even on the topic of keeping Carrick or McKenna (or, basically, anyone that isn't Jesus, D'Agostino or Jiminez) in the first team staff.
I would back Poch. It's clear that our coaches are doing feck all and are inept.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If i didn't know any better I'd say that guy almost seems a little too worried about Poch coming here. He's def the right man. None of the oppo fans were trying to convince us out of signing Ole
Why can a member not give his own opinion on a guy without being "worried". I have said multiple times Poch will do well at United, if he is backed? I will always hold Poch in high regard, but I always try and give an accurate portrail of his time with us, and how he works and how he sees football. I am not bias either way unlike some on here.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't like him as a character, think he's more talented than Ole comfortably, but would be setup to fail like every manager before him. I can't begin to get excited at the prospect of any managers right now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I would back Poch. It's clear that our coaches are doing feck all and are inept.
Where does this notion come from? Did they not coach us when we went on our winning streak to get us to 3rd? or is it only when we're shit, they do nothing?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Two very high profile and successful managers and a club legend haven’t been backed enough when needed, but the board will back Poch out of all people, sure.
Even if he wants to get rid off Pogba, he relies on Woodward/the board to sell him / let him go. He also relies on them to get him their targets and not Cavani as a deadline day panic buy.
And even after that as soon as players start complaining about his training regime or are tired / inured more and more, he will be out.
IF he comes, I hope he has reflected a lot in his long unemployment period about how he came 3rd in a two-horse-race when Spurs had a once in a lifetime opportunity to win the title and how it all went horribly wrong in his final season.

ayushreddevil9

Where does this notion come from? Did they not coach us when we went on our winning streak to get us to 3rd? or is it only when we're shit, they do nothing?
The team was good for like 3 games. Once we faced Southampton we didn't play well in any game after that. Clearly the tactics are dependent on individual brilliance.

Falcow

As top priority Poch would ship Pogba out ASAP, for whatever United could get for him given the wages he's on. He has no time for prima donna nonsense and players who don't sweat blood for the team.

Matic would be gone too - too old and too past-it.

Then he'd look to sign a top-notch DM and an ultra-mobile CM to form a two behind Fernandes. CM would be his first priority, then a quality CB with pace to partner Maguire.
Sold. When can he start?

Whilst I am starting to change my mind on Ole, he deserves more than 3 games into the season. If top 4 is looking unlikely by Christmas then yes he should go. Howver I do still believe we will make top 4.

Poch is attractive but what are your views on how it ended for him? Lot of players looked like they had been run into the ground?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The team was good for like 3 games. Once we faced Southampton we didn't play well in any game after that. Clearly the tactics are dependent on individual brilliance.
That's just nonsense. You reckon they just put the team sheet up and go, "go out there and make things happen?". You have no idea on the instructions that are given or trained. It's similar to how people think Mourinho sets people up not to get beat, but you actually see his team talks in the new Spurs doc - says nothing of the sort.

Idxomer

Pochettino'll be another case of looking at the most obvious candidate and appointing him.

I would like to see the club think outside the box this time.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Poch would very quickly identify the players not fully committed to the team and will dump them out of the team as soon as he possibly can and demand they are sold. Will your club back him in this even if he demands some of your high profile players go? I'm not sure.

Another big problem you guys will have - are having - is the number of very average/poor players you have in the squad on £100k per week + - you basically are stuck with them until their contracts end unless you can agree to pay half their wages or whatever for a loan out of something.

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
As top priority Poch would ship Pogba out ASAP, for whatever United could get for him given the wages he's on. He has no time for prima donna nonsense and players who don't sweat blood for the team.

Matic would be gone too - too old and too past-it.

Then he'd look to sign a top-notch DM and an ultra-mobile CM to form a two behind Fernandes. CM would be his first priority, then a quality CB with pace to partner Maguire.
And he would lose with his one dimensional tactics v the top 6 all the time.

ayushreddevil9

That's just nonsense. You reckon they just put the team sheet up and go, "go out there and make things happen?". You have no idea on the instructions that are given or trained. It's similar to how people think Mourinho sets people up not to get beat, but you actually see his team talks in the new Spurs doc - says nothing of the sort.
Whatever mate if you think we are doing excellent when it comes to in game tactics and overall performance, I can only suggest you to take off the rose tinted glasses you have put on. I ain't bothered to discuss why our players look clueless half the time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Whatever mate if you think we are doing excellent when it comes to in game tactics and overall performance, I can only suggest you to take off the rose tinted glasses you have put on. I ain't bothered to discuss why our players look clueless half the time.
Oh so because I don't think we do feck all or are inept in our tactics, I have to think we're doing excellent? You probably should be more measured in your analysis and you might actually have a discussion.

ayushreddevil9

Oh so because I don't think we do feck all or are inept in our tactics, I have to think we're doing excellent? You probably should be more measured in your analysis and you might actually have a discussion.
Talk about lack of self awareness.

ti vu

I don't like him as a character, think he's more talented than Ole comfortably, but would be setup to fail like every manager before him. I can't begin to get excited at the prospect of any managers right now.
If you think like this then Glazers and Woodward won.

We need a manager that can coach, and can be outspoken, but not explosive as Mourinho; nor as naive & detached to the situation as LVG; nor clueless as Moyes. Last but not least, you know who that prefers cover for Woodward and Glazers, while sucks at his job.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Talk about lack of self awareness.
You just stated something as fact, with no evidence and then said you're not willing to discuss it because I called you out on it. I'd happily engage with you if you actually wanted it a discussion, but it seems like you just fancy having a pop at our coaching staff.

spiriticon

If Poch can convince Ed to 'cut the deadwood like Pogba' it would be a miracle. Ed doesn't even want to sell Phil Jones or Marcos Rojo :lol:

Maybe Poch can then threaten to resign to try to force Ed's hand. That would be great news for Ed, he doesn't even have to pay out!

No, Poch will be all alone if he comes here. The board will sign who the board wants, and Poch will have to deal with it.

Last edited:

Greck

Why can a member not give his own opinion on a guy without being "worried". I have said multiple times Poch will do well at United, if he is backed? I will always hold Poch in high regard, but I always try and give an accurate portrail of his time with us, and how he works and how he sees football. I am not bias either way unlike some on here.
Maybe you didn't notice it was said in jest. No one actually believes you're worried

Caliban

Poch in and Manchester United are feared again and winners all of a sudden?

I find that very hard to believe. As a backdrop Ole and his United before the PSG game was fantastic and even if Poch would make United seem better as they are right now, which is not too hard, he would still be judged in the long run.

Long run being the keyword here

I find it hard to see any manager to make in long run under the current ownership, unless they change things up from the top ..

We have all seen the signs with butchered clubs before, worst case being as with the likes of "my team" (when I was younger) Blackburn Rovers, before and after Venkys. Stubborn owners that has no idea, and no real heart in the club. Killing the it from the inside.

All empires in history fall from being killed from the inside, toxic, divided, don`t speak a collective tongue etc) ..

I would be curious to see United under another manager though (and see how he would coupe in the long run)

Poch is a nice guy, easy to like, but he is not God. I am also unsure which one he is Jesus, or one of the disciples. But he and Manchester United would be a good fit, as he would be a good representative for the club, but other than that, when push comes to shove ..

I truly doubt Sir Alex of old would make it all the way to the top under these circumstances also .. Football has changed so so much ..

James Peril

Everyone knows Pochettino is waiting for the Utd job, possibly the City job too. So let’s stop fecking about and give it to him.

I’m absolutely positive he can do better than Ole.
Arsenal’s sacked mascot Gunnersaurus would do better than Ole.

Zlatattack

The problems at our club are beyond managers and players. The real problem is the senior management. We need a DOF, someone who is responsible for long term squad management and looking at 5 year plans from a footballing perspective. If we have money to spend or not, the DOF should be looking to build for success with what we have, even if it's limited.

Ole should feed into this process, but his focus should always be the squad at hand and the next few matches. Can he be improved on - yes 100%. I'd like to try one of those trendy German managers everyone is hyping. I like Poch and I've been asking for him as manager before, but a part of me wonders if he ran out of ideas at Spurs, or out of time?

macheda14

And he would lose with his one dimensional tactics v the top 6 all the time.
Do you not think managers can learn? I mean it’s taken it’s time but Jose seems to be playing the most proactive football he has in his career. Klopp put a more defensive slant on Liverpool. For all we know Poch isn’t just taking a break but studying football and altering his tactical knowledge.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Poch would very quickly identify the players not fully committed to the team and will dump them out of the team as soon as he possibly can and demand they are sold. Will your club back him in this even if he demands some of your high profile players go? I'm not sure.

Another big problem you guys will have - are having - is the number of very average/poor players you have in the squad on £100k per week + - you basically are stuck with them until their contracts end unless you can agree to pay half their wages or whatever for a loan out of something.
Do you think he would be the man to get united to the top again? How do you think he would deal with our useless board?

tomaldinho1

He is the only real candidate who is realistic in my view. Is there recent proof of doing well in the PL? Yes. Is there recent proof of building an attacking pressing team? Yes. Does he usually come in and demand 200M plus on new signings? No

I don't think anyone on here who is pro Poch thinks we'd immediately go and win the league but he's the safest bet for a manager who could get us into that position in the near future. It's abundantly clear Ole can't - we finished on the same points total as the year before, we scored the same amount of goals, our marquee signings under him have failed bar Bruno (although his form recently has been atrocious), the players he champions like Pogba have been just as inconsistent as before and on top of everything there is no evidence of the high press he talked so much about - yet is very clear in more and more other teams who have managers with a track record of this style of football.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you think he would be the man to get united to the top again? How do you think he would deal with our useless board?
Honestly I dont know - if he got full backing of the board with not only transfers but with how he wants control over things then yes he would definitely sort things out. The problem with Utd is that there appear to be serious issues with the structure within the club and that starts from the top.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Honestly I dont know - if he got full backing of the board with not only transfers but with how he wants control over things then yes he would definitely sort things out. The problem with Utd is that there appear to be serious issues with the structure within the club and that starts from the top.
Interesting! Historically we have backed managers in the first window and not the second.

Thanks for the reply.