A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Van Gaal was still good enough to win the double and make the CL final in the previous season. Did he suddenly become well past it between his two seasons at Bayern?
United has an entirely different dynamic than Spurs. If they experience a setback they can always spend loads in the summer and come back stronger. Like Liverpool, who bought Alisson, Keita and Fabinho after their lost final. It's "easy" to convince people to give it their best shot again, when you sign a bunch of top players to improve on the team's weaknesses. For Spurs it was different, they probably knew that they wouldn't get a shot at a big trophy anytime soon. And I find it a bit bizarre anyway to reject a coach, because he might not deal well with losing a CL final, when the club hasn't been anywhere close to one in about a decade now.
Honestly I couldn’t disagree more.
CL final was just an example. Spurs weren’t expected to reach one either.
LVG’s last few years as a manager is not a good example for me as he is actually a manager who failed at United (not because of his mentality, but rather because he was past it and our board isn’t very good).
With Poch there are already many question marks and then there’s the issue with his last season at Spurs.
At United he might get better resources, but he will also get much more pressure and might actually get a worse board to work with than he had at Spurs.
If he is not strong enough and has the right mentality to deal with setbacks he will be out of United much sooner than our previous managers.

Red00012

This is always such a shit take
Poster : "What else is he going to say?"(proceeds to give the most extreme example. As if humans are only allowed to go from one extreme to the other when they speak)
There are thousands of things he could have said
He’s just after joining a new Club he’s obviously going to mention how he’s looking forward to working with manager .

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh and after Bayern lost their CL final under van Gaal they were 7th 10 games into their following season, 10 points behind the top spot. Inter completely fell apart after winning that final, too.
Van Gaal lost plot and dressing room, while Inter lost Mourinho and replaced him with Benitez and then Leonardo

I do agree with your overall point though

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Its a waste of his time. He wont get the funds needed to build a team.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He'd be best steering well clear of United for the sake of his career.

Don't think he'd even last to the end of the season to be honest.

Skills

Snitch
He'd be best steering well clear of United for the sake of his career.

Don't think he'd even last to the end of the season to be honest.
Oh yeah, it's hard working being a manager in our cut throat environment. How many managers have we been through since fergie? Must be in double figures by now?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I did not watch Spurs much under him. I only really watch United games. Now i understand Poch does the high press, but does he coach subtle attacking play like Guardiola does?

GaryLifo

Oh yeah, it's hard working being a manager in our cut throat environment. How many managers have we been through since fergie? Must be in double figures by now?
I'm more talking about how he'll be expected to come in and transform us into title winners within about 3 matches. If that doesn't happen many of our fans will be quick to call for a new manager.

Skills

Snitch
I'm more talking about how he'll be expected to come in and transform us into title winners within about 3 matches. If that doesn't happen many of our fans will be quick to call for a new manager.
Oh yeah the fanbase really make it tough for our managers here. It's a miracle the likes of Mourinho, Van Gaal and Solskjaer made it though their first season despite getting nowhere near title challenges.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I did not watch Spurs much under him. I only really watch United games. Now i understand Poch does the high press, but does he coach subtle attacking play like Guardiola does?
This is what I'm worried about. I'd hate to see a high press 4231 that Pochettino wants to implement before he even decides the best formation for the player he has.

I hope if he comes he plays the 352 he did at Spurs because I enjoyed watching that team more than his 4231 set up.

GaryLifo

Oh yeah the fanbase really make it tough for our managers here. It's a miracle the likes of Mourinho, Van Gaal and Solskjaer made it though their first season despite getting nowhere near title challenges.
You wait and see. If he doesn't come in and win instantly they'll be calling his appointment a huge mistake.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is what I'm worried about. I'd hate to see a high press 4231 that Pochettino wants to implement before he even decides the best formation for the player he has.

I hope if he comes he plays the 352 he did at Spurs because I enjoyed watching that team more than his 4231 set up.
Like i say i have only watched them about ten times under Poch.

But i remember them against Ajax in the semis of the CL and they were poor. Ajax looked much better as a unit. I felt as well they were lucky in the return leg. They resorted to long balls at the end that got the goal to put them through. But i remember being more impressed by Ajax than i was of spurs.

I would love to be wrong though.

In the first half, Leipzig looked very impressive to me, even though we beat them 5 nil. Ajax under Ten Hag are also impressive. Maybe the current Southampton manager as well, although that would be a huge punt.

Do people understand what i am looking for? It is intricate attacking play that can break teams down, like Guardiola can. I am unsure as to whether Poch can teach that. Spurs under him tended to rely on the genius of Ali and Kane and Son to get them by.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

But i remember them against Ajax in the semis of the CL and they were poor. Ajax looked much better as a unit. I felt as well they were lucky in the return leg. They resorted to long balls at the end that got the goal to put them through. But i remember being more impressed by Ajax than i was of spurs.

In the first half, Leipzig looked very impressive to me, even though we beat them 5 nil. Ajax under Ten Hag are also impressive. Maybe the current Southampton manager as well, although that would be a huge punt.

Do people understand what i am looking for? It is intricate attacking play that can break teams down, like Guardiola can. I am unsure as to whether Poch can teach that. Spurs under him tended to rely on the genius of Ali and Kane and Son to get them by.
Then let’s go for Ten Haag

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I can see it. It's hard to explain but this is the problem.

A style of play is different to a tactic or formation. With Pep we can see a style of football at all his clubs. With Klopp we can see the same be it Dortmund or Liverpool he manages.

The tactic and formation is changed by them - both managers are able to use false 9's (Messi, Firmino) and inverted forwards (reus, Sterling, Villa, Mane) . They are able to use a central predatory striker (Lewandowski, Aguero, Jesus,). They are able to use different types of midfielders and change their tactics ( the change Pep went when using both KDB & Silva, or inverted fullbacks playing as CDM, the changes Klopp wants to make with Thiago which will be different to how Henderson and Widjnaldum and Fabinho play).

They are able to make these changes tactically whilst keeping a style of football in the squad.

Then there is the opposite - managers who come with a strict formation in their mind that requires a certain type of player. We saw this with Mourinho trying to rebuild a Chelsea like set up with a striker like Lukaku, crying out for wingers like Perisic and Willian whilst buying Matic as CDM.

It's the main doubt I have with Pochettino- does he have the ability to use a wide variety of players and change his tactics and formations to get the best out of them or will he have one in his mind? The managers who do - dont tend to be able to create a style of football because their main tactic is getting the best players they regard to playing their one and only types of formation.

I'm just not really sure Pochettino has the ability to manage players to their best abilities so he rather buys the players that fit his style of football in his head and I'm his tactics and formations.

Woodenlung

We shouldn't use the 18/19 season to base our opinions of Pochettino. By then the team was starting to go stale and they weren't hitting the heights of previous years.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It does feel a bit inevitable that he’ll be our next boss. I just hope we handle the Ole situation respectfully and don’t LVG him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How things are going on, Tuchel will be fired before Ole. And i can see Psg going for their former player

Woodenlung

Sometimes the obvious choice is still the best one. Pochettino's been the obvious choice for us since we sacked Moyes. I hope this time we finally get him. He's a brilliant coach.

Castia

Few stories saying we’ve approached him. Top manager and easily my number 1 pick.

PSG might be in for a new manager soon I think this could force Uniteds hand.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Some videos of Poch's tactics. Seems like a good manager to me. Plus any time I've seen his teams in their pomp, they looked brilliant. It all fell apart at the end for him but it does for 90% of managers.

Cloud7

Few stories saying we’ve approached him. Top manager and easily my number 1 pick.

PSG might be in for a new manager soon I think this could force Uniteds hand.
Hope this is true. Let's get Poch in and get back on track.

Giggsy13

Poch is waiting for the United job. If he had the choice of coming here or PSG I’m certain he’d choose us.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's 100% going to be our next manager.

- Has Ferguson's blessing
- Works without a DoF
- Has been on our radar for a long time
- Knows the premier league
- Can work with a young squad
- Can work with a small budget
- Can consistently get Top 4

He's perfect for Ed and the Glazers

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
its a matter of time

Ask Ole to go as DOF if he can swallow his pride
Could be a great combo

Himannv

He's not really an attacking coach to me. His teams are fantastic pressing machines and they're great defensively when they go with a back 3 or a back 4 with a good DM. I just don't think they were as effective offensively as some people think. I also think he's not a manager who is particularly good at getting in the right players.