A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I will back him if he becomes manager, but i just cannot shake the feeling that in two and half years later we will be back to the looking for a new manager process.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't he say he would rather be a farmer than go to Barca.
I think he said he'd 'rather be a hammer than a nail' (or given the farmer reference, it might've been 'than work with Bale'). If the former, I'd say Moyes needs to watch his back.

criticalanalysis

I will back him if he becomes manager, but i just cannot shake the feeling that in two and half years later we will be back to the looking for a new manager process.
That's true for 90% clubs. Fergie was an outlier.

Klopp, Simone, Guardiola and Zidane aside, which top club has had their manager more than 3 years?

Can Poch guarantee trophies? No but then who can?

He's as sure fire a bet as you can expect to improve us and start playing aggressive, pressing and dynamic football. Right now, that should be our only expectation. Once/if we get at that level, then we should reassess how to get to challenging and actually winning things.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't believe it. Didn't he say he would rather be a farmer than go to Barca.
Yes. Id say he is has been waiting for PSG or United to come for him. If you want him you need to do it sooner rather than later, if PSG make him an offer he will be there in a heartbeat.

Fosu-Mens

Can he coach players to pass and move in the buildup? Yes.
Can he coach a cohesive press? Yes.
Can he improve players? Yes, albeit some stories about rigid and repetitive training.
All well and good and aligns well with parts of how the best performers over the last 2-3 years plays.

Some potential issues, but given
Can he systematically break down teams parking the bus? Not based on what was shown at Totteham despite being able to dominate most teams in the build up and how to control the game. Mostly resorting to crossing by numbers as a means to get chances against a parked bus. If he has improved in this aspect then he would be really desirable as a manager.
Is he tactically flexible? Not really, based on his 5 seasons at Spurs. Mostly the same approach to most games. Again a potential issue.

Personal preference would be Marco Rose (and his team) given his flexibility, extremely good pressing and adaptability to the opposition.

Woodenlung

Not winning anything as a manager is largely irrelevant imo. Pochettino has an identifiable style and a track record of improving players in his squad. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho had very limited success in that regard. Olé has been a bit better, but team performances and tactics have suffered.

If appointing Poch gets us consistent performances and regular CL qualification, I'll.fake that in a heartbeat.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I've heard a little whisper that Ole will be out and Poch in soon. Not sure if it's even dependant on tomorrow's result.
From who? Another caf poster who reckons he has sources?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You've a link mate? I'd really appreciate it.
I just saw @Bestietom say in a couple of threads that It'll be Poch and sooner than we all think. I've heard it from somebody very reliable in that they wouldn't lie about it and are incredibly well connected at United. If I could say who it is and who told them then you'd agree. That's all I can say I think.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I just saw @Bestietom say in a couple of threads that It'll be Poch and sooner than we all think. I've heard it from somebody very reliable in that they wouldn't lie about it and are incredibly well connected at United. If I could say who it is and who told them then you'd agree. That's all I can say I think.
So regardless of Everton result? the canteen lady sure does have a lot of info.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
At least he is a proper coach and gives us the best chance of playing some consistent brand of football. That’s already a massive plus and something most should be happy to get behind.

Marcus

Poch must be the perfect replacement manager for the Glazers. His reputation is making the most with very little. I am ok with that. If he can improve the current squad, why not?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Poch must be the perfect replacement manager for the Glazers. His reputation is making the most with very little. I am ok with that. If he can improve the current squad, why not?
You say it like it's a bad thing. A managers job is improving his squad and getting the best out of what he has, is it not? That actually makes him an excellent manager. We need to move fast before PSG nab him.

Last edited:

Marcus

You say it like it's a bad thing. A managers job is improving his squad and getting the best out of what he has, is it not? That actually makes him an excellent manager. We need to move fast before PSG nab him.
I like what he can bring. But as I mentioned somewhere else before, I am not sure he has the sufficiently outgoing personality to be suitable for the job. Yes, I am looking for a Fergie clone of sorts.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Ole is being used by the management because they know fans will not turn against a legend So quickly. Ole knows he probably will head back to norway after his internship is over here at manutd. They both need to cling on each other. Ultimately the club suffers. Great records that stood for decades are being taken down one by one.
I want a better manager than Ole but i know no good manager worth his salt will want to come here. And even if that happens the cycle of backing the manager till he gets top 4 and then pull out of correct transfer deals the next season and instead will give 5 year bumper contracts to the pogbas and matas. It will repeat over and over agaib.
The crushing weight of expectations from the club youth ethos, toxic dressing room full of divas , expectant fanbase (myself included)
Its a sad predicament really.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I like what he can bring. But as I mentioned somewhere else before, I am not sure he has the sufficiently outgoing personality to be suitable for the job. Yes, I am looking for a Fergie clone of sorts.
Pochettino is renowned as a disciplinarian who commands respect from the changing room, and is also charismatic in public. I've got no doubts at all he would rise to the challenge here. It would be water off a ducks back to him.

Marcus

Pochettino is renowned as a disciplinarian who commands respect from the changing room, and is charismatic in public. I've got no doubts at all he would rise to the challenge here. It would be water off a ducks back to him.
Oh? That wasn't my impression of him at all. Let's see then. That was my main concern.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Oh? That wasn't my impression of him at all. Let's see then. That was my main concern.
Yeah if thats what you're concerned about then its good. SAF loves him. There's no messing with him. 'The Sheriff of Murphy' was his nickname as a CB at Espanyol.

Spurs were soft when he joined them and he soon got rid of their pampered players straight away. If he joins I think Pogba will be one of the first out of the door if he tries to be lax, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Marcus

Of our current players, I think only Luke Shaw has played under him before. Maybe he can improve him even further. Also, if he made Morgan Schneiderlin look world class in his Southampton team, when he looked so crap after United signed him, maybe that speaks volumes on how he might improve United's players when integrated into his system.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Thank you very much.

Judas

Open to offers
Doesn't bestietom usually quote the daily star as his source? No offence to the bloke but I don't think he's ITK at all, and if people are putting faith in his vague baseless posts they're going to be very disappointed.

Josh 76

That what football is all about. Wining games, not spending loads of money.

Highfather_24

if we get Pochetino, we are going to get dicked in all the big games. We need someone with a winning mentality.

Dont know about Rose, but Nagelsmann didnt impress me against Ole, he seems like a naive manager.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
if we get Pochetino, we are going to get dicked in all the big games. We need someone with a winning mentality.

Dont know about Rose, but Nagelsmann didnt impress me against Ole, he seems like a naive manager.
Took Spurs to first UCL final, took Spurs to a team that can beat Chelsea away after how many years but his mentality is still questioned. Took Spurs to a team that can beat United home and away, took Spurs to a team that can beat City home and away
His mentality isn't the issue, his boards was (failed to strengthen the side when it was needed)