A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As an arsenal fan, we went thru the stadium building period with Wenger, which he had to sell his best player every season to pay for the debt. We all know how it went so if I am Poch I will definitely avoid getting into the same situation. If Spurs can give him the assurance he will have a transfer budget close to Arsenal I think he will stay.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Apparently both Lewis and Levy are big Tottenham fans, I think that has shown with the job they have done, the training facility the new ground etc, they have really worked to get the club into a position now where we are competing for top for with clubs who have superior sums of money to spend.

I think, sadly, if the market stays the way it is the only way to truely be competitive is to have a big, rich backer with shit loads of cash to spend who don’t really care about the bottom line at the end of the year. Maybe they won’t sell all of the club, maybe they will still want to retain a controlling share, maybe they won’t, I just see the time is right with the moving to a new ground. Could be totally wrong of course.
Thanks for your reply. Your guess is as good as any, I get the feeling that they would want to continue to support the club, and I think Levy enjoys what he's doing. But who knows.

Pochettino could come to regret the lack of a buyout clause because Levy, in theory, could demand a transfer fee for him, over and above the value of the remaining years on his contract.

All up to Levy then :)
If it's up to Levy I agree with Sherwood (who actually for once has some credibility to his opinion). No way Levy would agree to let Pochettino go for any sum. Pochettino would have to force the issue.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If it's up to Levy I agree with Sherwood (who actually for once has some credibility to his opinion). No way Levy would agree to let Pochettino go for any sum. Pochettino would have to force the issue.
This is how I see it, and to be honest that’s how Poch has answered the question before with Real. *Dont talk to me talk to Levy*, he’s happy to stay as long as he is wanted basically, this means he doesn’t burn bridges. Of course if the situation changes all he has to say is *i want to move* which he hasn’t said yet. He’s a very clever guy and I’m some way he likes winding the media up.

Habs

Pochettino could come to regret the lack of a buyout clause because Levy, in theory, could demand a transfer fee for him, over and above the value of the remaining years on his contract.

All up to Levy then :)
Not at all. If Pochettino wants to leave (not saying he will) Levy will be forced to let him go, you cant have a manager who does not want to be there lead your team, so really its all up to what Pochettino wants to do.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry, but that's not the truth: you're living in the past, ignorant of recent changes and what's coming down the pipeline.

As I've explained several times already, our club income will soon roughly match or exceed that of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. Or is the "big boys" financial club now to re-defined so as to only include City and United?

Our spending power (not the same as income) will remain lower for some time, due the stadium debt servicing, but this phase will eventually pass
It could be any number of years before the club sees a worthwhile return on their investment. Meanwhile, the rest of the Premier League elite will be spending cash like it's going out of business. Do you really expect a manager in Poch's positon to sit around twiddling his thumbs while the competition passes him by?

He was clearly disappointed in not being sufficiently backed in the transfer market last summer, with United ready to grant him a lucrative contract that is unlikely to bettered anywhere else on the planet, on top of what looks set to be another lean summer at the cheese factory, is it really beyond the realms of possibility that he might, just might, deeply consider making the move up north?

Vadim

People close to Poch apparently saying that he’s flattered and excited about the possibility of joining Utd in the summer.

This is going to happen :drool:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It could be any number of years before the club sees a worthwhile return on their investment. Meanwhile, the rest of the Premier League elite will be spending cash like it's going out of business. Do you really expect a manager in Poch's positon to sit around twiddling his thumbs while the competition passes him by?

He was clearly disappointed in not being sufficiently backed in the transfer market last summer, with United ready to grant him a lucrative contract that is unlikely to bettered anywhere else on the planet, on top of what looks set to be another lean summer at the cheese factory, is it really beyond the realms of possibility that he might, just might, deeply consider making the move up north?
Of course he will consider it, but you seem to have reset your brain in that Soending money doesnt equal the desired outcome. That’s the whole point that so many fans seem blind too, first and foremost good coaching and setup from top to bottom is what is required. Simply throwing good money after bad doesn’t solve the issue anymore as the market it seems is broken.

People close to Poch apparently saying that he’s flattered and excited about the possibility of joining Utd in the summer.

This is going to happen :drool:
Who are these people?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The question is who will Pochettino bring with him from Spurs?

I doubt Levy will allow him to take some of their most valuable players. I believe he might bring Oliver Skipp, Trippier, Kyle Walker Peters, Foyth and/or Winks.

Not much talent in these bunch, some has potential, but Pochettino will make them work at United.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The question is who will Pochettino bring with him from Spurs?

I doubt Levy will allow him to take some of their most valuable players. I believe he might bring Oliver Skipp, Trippier, Kyle Walker Peters, Foyth and/or Winks.

Not much talent in these bunch, some has potential, but Pochettino will make them work at United.
Eriksen

Cassidy

Their midfield.
I think the man is a genius. People have called me a fan boy over the years but I really do think he's underappreciated.
I look at their central pairing most weeks and wonder how they win so many games. It's usually pure shit.
How they win games with Sissoko and Dier/Winks playing in a midfield 2 is beyond me. He would do wonders with the likes of Pogba Herrera and Fred. Add Pereira to that too.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Pochettino is an interesting possibility for United. Had a solid season at Southampton. Has done a fine job at Spurs overhauling the squad that he inherited. His lack of trophies would be a concern. He will be 47 by next summer and by the same age Ferguson was managing United and had managed Aberdeen winning multiple domestic honours plus the ECWC in '83. Ferguson came into the job a winner. Is there a danger that Pochettino carries the same stigma as David Moyes. The only difference with Moyes and Pochettino is that the former came into a dressing room full of serial winners. Hence Pochettino wouldn't have the same problem. Like Moyes Pochettino has shown a good eye for a player as well as an ability to be shrewd financially in the transfer market. What is Solksjaer were to win the FA Cup does he then give Woodward a decision to make alternative to the expected plan?

Cassidy

That would be ideal, but that will be like an architects tearing apart the support of his own building. Loosing Eriksen and Pochettino will be a significant loss.
Well his contract situation is interesting... maybe he will sign a new one but if he hasn't by the summer...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Of course he will consider it, but you seem to have reset your brain in that Soending money doesnt equal the desired outcome. That’s the whole point that so many fans seem blind too, first and foremost good coaching and setup from top to bottom is what is required. Simply throwing good money after bad doesn’t solve the issue anymore as the market it seems is broken.
My brain did a what now?

I get your point, spending money is no guarantee of success... except that it is, eventually. City, PSG, Chelsea, Real (among many others) have all spent excessively in the transfer market over the years and they have each been successful as a result. Money does buy success.

Just because the last 3 United coaches have somehow managed to blow £700 million in the transfer market on largely useless footballers (:rolleyes:), it doesn't mean the next manager will be quite so wasteful. If anything, Poch has proven himself to be rather efficient in the transfer market so there's that.

leontas

Only question mark around him is the lack of silverware. You would've expected something in the League or FA cups, but I guess that's always down to luck. Keep remembering us making fun of Spurs for bottling it when it mattered. Not sure how much of that is down to Poch but have to feel like that kind of mentality flows down from the boss.

Vadim

Our next manager is looking good, his audition is definitely going to impress the hierarchy at Utd.

He’s a tubby fella though isn’t he? Not that I can talk, I love my food.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
His subs tonight were very impressive....no way Jose makes those subs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Who are these people?
Not really fair to expect him to name names.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Our next manager is looking good, his audition is definitely going to impress the hierarchy at Utd.

He’s a tubby fella though isn’t he? Not that I can talk, I love my food.
He's been losing weight recently.. looking increasingly dapper.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just look at what he's done to Spurs mentality. They now expect to finish top 4 every season and keep getting to later stages of cup competitions (obviously need to take that final step this season).

He's a great manager and certainly not a chequebook one.

Rozski

Hasn’t Poch said in the past that Real and PSG are his ideal jobs? It seems to me that getting him is far from a guarantee since at least one of those clubs will be looking for a manager this summer.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Don't really follow the state of Spurs' squad, but considering their lack of transfer activity in the summer and confirmation from Pochettino that they won't be buying in January, are there really no areas that need improving with any urgency?
Their midfield is poor. Needs serious investment as Dembele on his last legs and Wanyama becoming injury prone. Winks also has a history of injuries.

Leaves them with Dier, a limited footballer who cannot play the pivot role but plays the DM destroyer role just fine. And Sissoko, who tbf has actually been ok this season.

I feel they will drop Alli back into midfield, he started the season there and looked good. And his MK Dons career was a deeper midfield role.

Still they need to bring in a midfielder. Maybe sell Wanyama and Dembele.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Big words on the debate tonight. Sherwood, and a Southampton head guy (when Poch was there) basically saying he wont go. Appart from the coke head obviously.