A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Honestly he's not worth all this trouble. Can't figure out why he's so popular with everyone. Yes he does good work at Spurs, but I stress it's a completely different environment to United. The pressure is immense on everybody.

For this kind of compensation, I would expect someone like Guardiola.
Who you would you propose we get instead? There aren’t many - any - options out there who are proven at ‘environments’ like Manchester United.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Seemed more like you was getting defensive than taking the piss but fair enough.
It isn't an argument, I was just stating a fact that Pochettino isn't used to the expectations of a club like United and as such there is no guarantee that he would be able to cope.
I wasn't using that as a guide of readiness, as you say. Mourinho and Van Gaal have won loads of trophies between them but failed, and I wouldn't expect another experienced manager would easily turn it around at United either.
My original point (and my only point) was that teams have passed Tottenham by, as you haven't competed for anything and we've had a different team win the league in each of Pochettinos years at Tottenham if I'm not mistaken.
Which teams are these? Liverpool? Liverpool have finished behind Spurs every season for years - lets see how it ends up this season. Arsenal? Nope. Utd? Nope. City? Sure they have moved ahead of every team in the country including us. Chelsea? Don't think so. They have invested a lot more than we have sure - totally accept that. I don't see investment as necessarily meaning teams passing us by - the results prove that and our team has developed without the need for many new signings (despite me wanting some) due to good coaching and young players maturing.

We havent competed for anything? Can't agree with that either as we are currently competing at the top of the league and have been in contention for the title for several years now - we have competed in the champions league by getting through the group stages and we got to a cup final not so long ago.

Different team win the league in each year? Sure that may be true but not sure why that should be used as a slight against Spurs particularly - as all other teams in the league who did not win in those years are in the same boat.

Skills

Snitch
Seemed more like you was getting defensive than taking the piss but fair enough.
It isn't an argument, I was just stating a fact that Pochettino isn't used to the expectations of a club like United and as such there is no guarantee that he would be able to cope.
I wasn't using that as a guide of readiness, as you say. Mourinho and Van Gaal have won loads of trophies between them but failed, and I wouldn't expect another experienced manager would easily turn it around at United either.
My original point (and my only point) was that teams have passed Tottenham by, as you haven't competed for anything and we've had a different team win the league in each of Pochettinos years at Tottenham if I'm not mistaken.
Van Gaal and Mourinho didn't fail because of high expectations. The expectations at Utd fairly low. You only need to get top 4 to retain your job - and you get a mammoth of a budget to do it.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
… Long term top players will want success and big money. Spurs won’t be able to offer either so eventually they will be trying to leave.

Says the poster who admits being baffled as to why Spurs players keep signing long-term contracts :lol:

If you don't understand why Spurs players stay, we can hardly be expected to have confidence in your explanation as to why they will "eventually" leave.

PS. When such departures have been predicted every summer for several years past, when does "eventually" actually become an event? 2020? 2021? 20122?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guess we'll see.

It's not important enough a point for me to argue with you. If you don't believe he asked Levy to let him talk to Madrid that's your call.
He didn't. We contacted him, his answer was talk to Levy. So we did. Levy wanted €45m to release him

Dec9003

Which teams are these? Liverpool? Liverpool have finished behind Spurs every season for years - lets see how it ends up this season. Arsenal? Nope. Utd? Nope. City? Sure they have moved ahead of every team in the country including us. Chelsea? Don't think so. They have invested a lot more than we have sure - totally accept that. I don't see investment as necessarily meaning teams passing us by - the results prove that and our team has developed without the need for many new signings (despite me wanting some) due to good coaching and young players maturing.

We havent competed for anything? Can't agree with that either as we are currently competing at the top of the league and have been in contention for the title for several years now - we have competed in the champions league by getting through the group stages and we got to a cup final not so long ago.

Different team win the league in each year? Sure that may be true but not sure why that should be used as a slight against Spurs particularly - as all other teams in the league who did not win in those years are in the same boat.
The fact that city passed other teams by doesnt disprove my point, they surpassed tottenham as they did with us.
Chelsea surpassed you as well, they won the league and an FA cup in the time Poch has been with you, of course that is passing you by.
A different team winning the league is relevant because Tottenham hasn't been one of them, or looked like being one of them at any point.
The only argument against teams passing Tottenham by is perhaps the fact that they were never truly ahead to begin with as far as recent silverware goes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The fact that city passed other teams by doesnt disprove my point, they surpassed tottenham as they did with us.
Chelsea surpassed you as well, they won the league and an FA cup in the time Poch has been with you, of course that is passing you by.
A different team winning the league is relevant because Tottenham hasn't been one of them, or looked like being one of them at any point.
The only argument against teams passing Tottenham by is perhaps the fact that they were never truly ahead to begin with as far as recent silverware goes.
It is not passing us by if they already started ahead of us.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes, that's what I said.
Ok so if we agree on that then we can look at it another way perhaps - we have started well behind those other teams and have caught up with most of them (and moved ahead of some) despite spending a fraction of the transfer fees. That is the other way to look at it. This is why I think your opinion on teams 'passing Spurs by' is inaccurate.

Dec9003

Ok so if we agree on that then we can look at it another way perhaps - we have started well behind those other teams and have caught up with most of them (and moved ahead of some) despite spending a fraction of the transfer fees. That is the other way to look at it. This is why I think your opinion on teams 'passing Spurs by' is inaccurate.
Perhaps, but who have you moved ahead of? United and Arsenal have been poor, but won competitions in Pochettinos time at Tottenham.
Liverpool despite not winning anything got to a champions league final, but before last season were average anyway.
So who did you get ahead of who wasn't already not very good?
You've not spent a lot of money, but have a very good team, and as such id have imagined Spurs fans would be putting pressure on their club to win a trophy, but that never seems to be the case.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Something that has not yet happened, but which you personally predict to happen, is not a fact, far less an "indisputable fact".

You seem not to even know what the word "fact" means.
Blah blah blah.

Just admit it, there is a chance Poch will decide to join United.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Perhaps, but who have you moved ahead of? United and Arsenal have been poor, but won competitions in Pochettinos time at Tottenham.
Liverpool despite not winning anything got to a champions league final, but before last season were average anyway.
So who did you get ahead of who wasn't already not very good?
You've not spent a lot of money, but have a very good team, and as such id have imagined Spurs fans would be putting pressure on their club to win a trophy, but that never seems to be the case.
All these teams have vastly more resources than us so in my view for us to be considered on their level now is an achievement in itself - in money terms we are a lower mid-table club. Poch has worked absolute wonders. It is hardly Spurs fault that some other teams who have spent hundreds of millions on players in the last 5 years have been unable to perform. It's easy to say 'United and Arsenal have been poor' and ignore the massive investment both teams (and others) have had. Liverpool are currently ahead of us in the league (who knows how it will end up) after buying the most expensive GK and defender in world football. If that is what it has taken for them to 'pass us by' then I think that says a lot.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Blah blah blah.

Just admit it, there is a chance Poch will decide to join United.
Yes. There is also a chance United could still win the league or get top 4. Highly unlikely though based on all the evidence available.

People need to stop listening to pundits and ex pros who say Poch won’t be able to turn down United. They live in the past, they played football when United were the single and ultimate club in English football. It’s no longer the case that United click their fingers and players and clubs come running. Sure, still an attractive place to managers and players, but it isn’t the dead cert can’t say no opportunity it was a few years ago. English football landscape has changed. Spurs are no longer a club where people are desperate to depart to join United like in the past. Otherside Kane and others would have left Spurs. The reality is Spurs are in a much better and healthier place than United are. United may be able to offer a huge transfer kitty but as we’ve seen with United in the past, having 200 million for Poch to spend doesn’t guarantee you a title.

Nobody is winning a title with Lukaku as lead striker and even Chelsea are struggling to find an elite striker so have to make do with Morata and Giroud. These players don’t grow on trees and Poch already has these elite players like Kane at Spurs. I’m fairly sure all that Levy has to do to keep Poch is to open a the purse strings a little and say, here’s the money you need for a couple of top players to reinforce the side. If Levy does that, united leverage to attract Poch all but disappears. All you have left then is the United name. But Spurs are currently closer to a title challenge then United. Need less work, and if Poch wins a title at Spurs they will build a statue for him outside the new stadium. If he wins a title at United he will just get a pat on the back and told “well that’s what you’re here for”.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Says the poster who admits being baffled as to why Spurs players keep signing long-term contracts :lol:

If you don't understand why Spurs players stay, we can hardly be expected to have confidence in your explanation as to why they will "eventually" leave.

PS. When such departures have been predicted every summer for several years past, when does "eventually" actually become an event? 2020? 2021? 20122?
No, I understand why they have stayed so far. These are mostly young players who want to progress and Spurs are a good place for that currently. I don’t understand why anyone would commit to 4 or 5 year deals though because it’s very hard to escape a club managed by Levy when you want to do that and it’s not unthinkable that the likes of Kane or Eriksen would like something more at some point in their careers.

Players still do leave when presented a chance to go and win trophies. Walker just did that a year ago.

Eriksen I think will leave within 2 years. He could play for a CL contender. Alderweireld will probably go next year. Not sure if Alli or Kane will leave that soon though. The rest of the team is not that amazing so I don’t anticipate huge transfers there. Doubt there’s a big market for Lamela, Dier, Sissoko or even Son.

There’s a good chance Pochettino will join United in the Summer though and I would expect a few of moves to follow but probably not Kane or Alli.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Poch could kill the rumours but he's letting the speculation grow.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No, I understand why they have stayed so far. These are mostly young players who want to progress and Spurs are a good place for that currently. I don’t understand why anyone would commit to 4 or 5 year deals though because it’s very hard to escape a club managed by Levy when you want to do that and it’s not unthinkable that the likes of Kane or Eriksen would like something more at some point in their careers.

Players still do leave when presented a chance to go and win trophies. Walker just did that a year ago.

Eriksen I think will leave within 2 years. He could play for a CL contender. Alderweireld will probably go next year. Not sure if Alli or Kane will leave that soon though. The rest of the team is not that amazing so I don’t anticipate huge transfers there. Doubt there’s a big market for Lamela, Dier, Sissoko or even Son.

There’s a good chance Pochettino will join United in the Summer though and I would expect a few of moves to follow but probably not Kane or Alli.
The only player I’m concerned will leave is Eriksen, and I think he is waiting to see what happens in the future. Jose wanted Dier in the summer and I would say a good number of clubs would be interested in Son, not quite sure why you think their would not be, a very good player to have both on and off the field.

It’s amazing how such a shit bunch of players is third in the league, in the semis of the league cup and seemingly improving. Truely astounding.

mav_9me

No offense but what does this mean? The clubs you mention are in a better financial situation to compete in the transfer market to a bigger or smaller degree. The history that matter is the experience that remain at the club, not what others that have no ties to the club anymore did in the past.

Not that it matters, but it's 3 top 3 finishes in the last 3 years. I think we deserve some more respect (three fingers in the air).
:lol::lol::lol: Very well done.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
if Poch wins a title at Spurs they will build a statue for him outside the new stadium. If he wins a title at United he will just get a pat on the back and told “well that’s what you’re here for”.
Exactly why a lot of people expect him to move. United are simply the bigger club, even though Spurs have the better squad right now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Poch could kill the rumours but he's letting the speculation grow.
Why should he? I admit it would be nice but he has answered it in his own way. He is happy and under contract. He said the same thing when Real were sniffing, if Levy was happy to let Poch go he would be interested, but he’s not.

Of course this could change if his head gets turned by again I don’t see that happening, by doing what he is doing he isn’t burning any bridges in the future.

He’s a clever guy if he licks up a fuss to get to United, that will be on him and IF he went to United and Real or PSG or the Argentina national team came calling people would say *oh he will just do the same thing to get a move*. Of course it could happen, but in my opinion he won’t.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs have 5 months of this shit to deal with.
So do United to be fair, if your persuit does end fruitless, no other top manager will want to be seen as second choice, why would they? I would say United have set a dead line for the possibility and they will move on.

As for the press conferences why should constant questions be asked when Poch already answered.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why should he? I admit it would be nice but he has answered it in his own way. He is happy and under contract. He said the same thing when Real were sniffing, if Levy was happy to let Poch go he would be interested, but he’s not.

Of course this could change if his head gets turned by again I don’t see that happening, by doing what he is doing he isn’t burning any bridges in the future.

He’s a clever guy if he licks up a fuss to get to United, that will be on him and IF he went to United and Real or PSG or the Argentina national team came calling people would say *oh he will just do the same thing to get a move*. Of course it could happen, but in my opinion he won’t.
Why should he?

The constant speculation surely can't be good for Spurs and could have a detrimental effect on your players for the rest of the season.

mav_9me

I guess this is what forums are for, all this speculation.

I think there is obviously a very good chance he leaves for United, esp if we are desperate and end up offering whatever money to Levy and him.

I am not necessarily a fan of doing that. I dont want money to be the deciding factor in him coming here. If he wants to come here for the challenge and football reasons, well and good. If he is happy there and only stupid money is going to prise him away thats not what we need.

ice-bionic red

Are there reports that he has said he wants to be considered for the Man Utd job? Can anyone post or show me where this report/article is please

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why should he?

The constant speculation surely can't be good for Spurs and could have a detrimental effect on your players for the rest of the season.
He has already said he is under contract and happy at the club. He has basically said any club must talk to Levy first. I fail to see the lack of understanding about this.

Member 39557

The 2nd best thing about mourinho leaving is all the spurs fans getting their knickers in a twist. :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That was hilarious. Spurs shaking in annoyance and bricking it. :lol:
If Poch wants to go and tells Levy such, I will expect Levy to get the best deal possible and move on. I will be a bit dissapointed with Poch but such is football, we will move on with someone else, again I don’t see it happening but that’s just my opinion. I’m not 12 and won’t be bricking it.

Utdstar01

I think he's taken Tottenham as far as he can. With restraints on funds he's only going to get so far with this team and he's done a magnificent job albeit without much financial backing. They had their golden chance to win the league when Leicester won it and blew it. He's only going to turn down so many Big clubs but there'll come a time when surely he'll need a bigger challenge.

Moonred

If Poch wants to go and tells Levy such, I will expect Levy to get the best deal possible and move on. I will be a bit dissapointed with Poch but such is football, we will move on with someone else, again I don’t see it happening but that’s just my opinion. I’m not 12 and won’t be bricking it.
Not denying any of that but it doesn’t make the insecurity any less hilarious for me.

Grande

Yes. There is also a chance United could still win the league or get top 4. Highly unlikely though based on all the evidence available.

People need to stop listening to pundits and ex pros who say Poch won’t be able to turn down United. They live in the past, they played football when United were the single and ultimate club in English football. It’s no longer the case that United click their fingers and players and clubs come running. Sure, still an attractive place to managers and players, but it isn’t the dead cert can’t say no opportunity it was a few years ago. English football landscape has changed. Spurs are no longer a club where people are desperate to depart to join United like in the past. Otherside Kane and others would have left Spurs. The reality is Spurs are in a much better and healthier place than United are. United may be able to offer a huge transfer kitty but as we’ve seen with United in the past, having 200 million for Poch to spend doesn’t guarantee you a title.

Nobody is winning a title with Lukaku as lead striker and even Chelsea are struggling to find an elite striker so have to make do with Morata and Giroud. These players don’t grow on trees and Poch already has these elite players like Kane at Spurs. I’m fairly sure all that Levy has to do to keep Poch is to open a the purse strings a little and say, here’s the money you need for a couple of top players to reinforce the side. If Levy does that, united leverage to attract Poch all but disappears. All you have left then is the United name. But Spurs are currently closer to a title challenge then United. Need less work, and if Poch wins a title at Spurs they will build a statue for him outside the new stadium. If he wins a title at United he will just get a pat on the back and told “well that’s what you’re here for”.
I’m not at all sure Pochettino will want to leave Spurs for United this Summer, and even less sure he will want it enough to make United answer Levy’s demands.

I might imagine though that both the name and the assumed war chest would oose a strong lure to him. Was the situation all that dissimilar when he after a fairly short while left the then very well run Southampton set up to join the then not so well situated Tottenham? Then, I believe Sot’on were on a 8th, 7th, 6th run, while Spurs where around 4th, 5th, 6th under Redknapp, Villas-Boas and Sherwood, am I right? Why did he leave Southampton at the time if not for the opportunity to purchase and keep a higher level of players?

I don’t find it implausible any way, that he would think United could give him an even better base to purchase an even higher level of players for the next five years. Is he sure Spurs can keep Kane for another five years? I don’t know. It might be tempting for him.