A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Castia

He's United bound, its almost a formality at this point.

Higher wage and a huge transfer kitty to play with whilst managing one of the biggest clubs on the planet is more than enough to tempt Poch.

Ban

He's United bound, its almost a formality at this point.

Higher wage and a huge transfer kitty to play with whilst managing one of the biggest clubs on the planet is more than enough to tempt Poch.
Agreed.

Castia

No, but we're currently better than United.

Yet in our troubled recent past since SAF retired we've won more than Spurs have in 30 years. Just think about that for one minute....United have been wank, we've gone through 3 managers and play some of the worst football in the league.....yet we've managed to win 3 major trophies whilst Spurs have won jack shit. Crazy.

Enjoy your 4th place league finishes and nowhere placement in the CL though.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yes, clearly they are.

We've become an established top 4 club (actually top 3 over the last 3 seasons and this one so far), which is far better than previously. We have a fantastic new training centre, plus a world-class new stadium soon to open. Were into the CL knockout stages with a decent chance of making the QFs. And we're into the League Cup SF.

Moreover, we have a long-term strategy to establish Spurs as one of Europe's elite clubs, a strategy that is on course and unfolding well. This is what Pochettino signed up for originally and this is why he signed the new contract.
I understand all that, but he mat think to himself I could be the man that turns united in to a juggernaut again. Every manager in world football regardless of what club they are at, stop and think if united come knocking. I'm not saying poch will come here but he's not flat out denied like he did with Madrid.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
No, but we're currently better than United.
Currently. Team wise, that's it.
If we had this exact same discussion this time last year

We were above you in the table
Just come off a season with two trophies
We have that bigger stadium
We have that bigger budget
We have that bigger wage structure

What would Poch have been staying for at that point?

We've had a bad season, mostly down to the manager, something we're looking to change, something Poch could change.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
“With the recent addition of a player lodge” :lol:

Christ, what a tool...
You don't like player lodges? Oh well, best stick with players commuting in and out every day.

PS. Cut out the personal stuff ... there's good chap.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's not about "competing in the market at the highest level", it's about competing on the football pitch ... but some United fans seem to have got the two things mixed up.

For example, you spent a fortune on Pogba, who cost around 16 times what Spurs paid for Dele Alli, but the latter competes on the pitch far more than Pogba does.

Yes, you can offer Pochettino a lot of money for transfers, but he'd have to go back to square one in term of building a squad at United compared to what he already has at Spurs because it's doubtful that more than two players at United would make it into the Spurs first XI and even those upgrades would be fairly marginal. So the money thing is not the big draw that you suggest it is.
Let’s be honest, Spurs won the lottery with players like Kane and Alli. Without them, you’d be nowhere.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Currently. Team wise, that's it.
If we had this exact same discussion this time last year

We were above you in the table
Just come off a season with two trophies
We have that bigger stadium
We have that bigger budget
We have that bigger wage structure

What would Poch have been staying for at that point?

We've had a bad season, mostly down to the manager, something we're looking to change, something Poch could change.
You're on course to finish outside the top 4 for the 4th time in 6 years. It goes way beyond "a bad season". Poch isn't stupid.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He has done all he could at Spurs. They're now a solid top 4 club with a brand new, out of this world training ground.
That would depend on what his goal for Spurs is, maybe he wants to win a cup or 2 before he calls it a day there. Might be silly to think that far ahead, but I'm sure City will be in for him when Pep leaves in a season or 2. He would walk into a team that's built for him and much closer to the style he wants.

That’s pretty much how I see it, although United will try and turn his head but I’m hopeful that won’t work.
Thing is, we don't really know what Poch wants and how far he thinks he can take Spurs. I'm sure United can his head, but then we would have to deal with Levy and hope Poch pushes for the move. Something I'm doubtful of happening.

It's interesting either way, I think it will happen but I'm really unsure how Woodward will pull it off.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes, clearly they are.

We've become an established top 4 club (actually top 3 over the last 3 seasons and this one so far), which is far better than previously. We have a fantastic new training centre, plus a world-class new stadium soon to open. Were into the CL knockout stages with a decent chance of making the QFs. And we're into the League Cup SF.

Moreover, we have a long-term strategy to establish Spurs as one of Europe's elite clubs, a strategy that is on course and unfolding well. This is what Pochettino signed up for originally and this is why he signed the new contract.

Is that Spurs' USP? Cause last time I checked around 5 other teams have that and more... It would take for United 25 years of mediocrity for Spurs to catch up and we'd still be a bigger draw than you. It's just the way it is. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Let’s be honest, Spurs won the lottery with players like Kane and Alli. Without them, you’d be nowhere.
Was Eriksen part of the lottery too? How about Alderweireld? Or Son? Or ....

The "lucky" Spurs narrative starts to wear a bit thin after a while. Sooner or later different excuses and explanations are required.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
:lol: You sound tough mate. Rock hard.
Even from afar I can see the alarmingly high frequency in which you quote Ban. Bit wierd. Are you sure he's the one that's "rock hard?"

Mick321

Yes, clearly they are.

This is all great and that but your incredible team, facilities, best striker ever etc have lead to.......nothing so far. Not a single trophy. Whereas us, in crisis etc have still managed to bring some trophies home. There's a reason even scousers like Carragher are in the media saying Poch should come here, it's just the football food chain. We are bigger and have far greater potential. In the same way if we did take Poch you could go and take Marco Silva or the Southampton manager as you are bigger. That's how it goes whether any of us like it or not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You're on course to finish outside the top 4 for the 4th time in 6 years. It goes way beyond "a bad season". Poch isn't stupid.
Yup. So he'll see the enormous opportunity if he's offered the chance to manage a club that has been under-performing so badly despite being able to spend more money on players and wages than every club in the country, bar City. That's a slam dunk of an opportunity for an ambitious manager with confidence in his own abilities. Someone like Pocchetino, for example.

And he has the chance to do this in front of 70000 fans every week, in one of the most famous stadiums in world football. Managing one of the most famous and successful clubs on the planet. While earning a shit-load more money, personally, than he is right now. He certainly isn't stupid, so he's extremely unlikely to turn such an amazing opportunity down.

Of course, I may be underestimating the pulling power of this player's lodge...

Last edited:

macheda14

You can't offer CL football. You can offer a bigger stadium, but not a better stadium. You can't offer better training facilities. And you offer a worse squad, coupled with a dysfunctional management structure.

So what it boils down to is that you can offer more money. It won't be enough.
Just going to focus on the stadium part. Firstly bigger is the only thing that really matters as a manager/player, they won’t care about the match going fan zone facilities. The behind the scenes facilities at Old Trafford are super modernised and probably not at all far off those of your new stadium. To go even more extreme, would you honestly say the same about the Camp Nou? It’s in far worse a state than either of our stadiums, but what stadium would you prefer to manage/play at?

Secondly as shown by Poch’s recent press conference you have nooooo money because of it. I honestly think you’ll struggle to deal with the lack of funds due to the stadium more so than Arsenal did. When they went through it you could get some decentish players for about 20 mill - not that they really did. Now with your zero money you aren’t going to be able to afford the upwards of 30/40 mill for the players you’d need. It’s unlucky timing with the recent absolutely crazy increase in transfer fees. Coupled with the fact that the two players who do look like they’re looking out the door, Toby and Eriksen running down their contracts to go on the cheap/free. So you won’t even be getting large transfer fees coming in.

Berbaclass

Was Eriksen part of the lottery too? How about Alderweireld? Or Son? Or ....

The "lucky" Spurs narrative starts to wear a bit thin after a while. Sooner or later different excuses and explanations are required.
Yeah I’d say so. You know very well that players simply cost more these days.

andreas pippias

Supports
Tottenham FC
He will 100% be at Utd next season. He wont turn down the chance to manage at a top club. He has earnt a shot.
He turned down Real Madrid, and that is the Holy Grail for a Latino manager, he will do it again re Man Utd.

Mick321

Even from afar I can see the alarmingly high frequency in which you quote Ban. Bit wierd. Are you sure he's the one that's "rock hard?"
Uh oh, the armchair Mourinho worshippers are coming together. He's gone, get over it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:lol: You sound tough mate. Rock hard.
Put each other on ignore ffs. I sometimes think I'm the only person using this fantastic invention.

And yeah, I know I should do the same for Glastonspaz but I just can't help it. He's so fecking compelling with his nonsensical bluster. It's quite an achievement to join a broadly pro Spurs message board and so effectively irritate almost every member. It's hard to turn away from the car crash.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yup. So he'll see the enormous opportunity if he's offered the chance to manage a club that has been under-performing so badly despite being able to spend more money on players and wages than every club in the country, bar City. That's a slam dunk of an opportunity for an ambitious manager with confidence in his own abilities. Someone like Pocchetino, for example.

And he has the chance to do this in front of 70000 fans every week, in one of the most famous stadiums in world football. Managing one of the most famous and successful clubs on the planet. He certainly isn't stupid, so he's extremely unlikely to turn such an amazing opportunity down.

Let's not forget the cheese room too, we can't offer that! Spurs will have the best cheese room in Europe. The potenial for the different cheeses to offer is huge!

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Is that Spurs' USP? Cause last time I checked around 5 other teams have that and more... It would take for United 25 years of mediocrity for Spurs to catch up and we'd still be a bigger draw than you. It's just the way it is. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.
Really? Which 5 clubs are about to open a world-class new stadium? And which 5 other clubs have been consistent top 3 clubs in recent seasons?

Huff and puff all you like about United's drawing power. It won't draw Pochettino.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Uh oh, the armchair Mourinho worshippers are coming together. He's gone, get over it.
Ooo. I've hooked a live one! :lol:

I think he's finished now @Ban. He'll be back when he gets that itch again.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm sure Spurs players, Poch and his coaching staff, the fecking tea lady are all in absolute awe of the fantastic training facilities. It's the only place in the world, apart from few other places, and YouTube where you can see Aurora Borealis, when you just stop what you doing, take a breath, and count your lucky stars that you're allowed to train at the footballing Mecca.

Berbaclass

Just type cheese room and Spurs new stadium on Google.
Oh and fruit salad bar.
I’ve just been looking FFS :lol:

They also have heated seats, Poch will have to be sacrificed for the sake of the fans ass temperature surely. Gas is getting expensive now!

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

And he has the chance to do this in front of 70000 fans every week, in one of the most famous stadiums in world football. Managing one of the most famous and successful clubs on the planet. While earning a shit-load more money, personally, than he is right now. He certainly isn't stupid, so he's extremely unlikely to turn such an amazing opportunity down.

I'm up for a bet if you are baby. You're quick to toss around personal insults, so let's see if you're as quick to put your money where your mouth is.