A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
You keep banging on about this stadium as if the players are expected to live there.
That's why they own houses.

Arsenal got this great modern stadium years back,. It didn't change anything.
Our's is still the biggest club stadium in the UK.

The stadium probably matters more to the fans walking into it, than the players.
Soon the Tottenham players will refuse to play away from home due to the condition of the stadiums elsewhere :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You keep banging on about this stadium as if the players are expected to live there.
That's why they own houses.

Arsenal got this great modern stadium years back,. It didn't change anything.
Our's is still the biggest club stadium in the UK.

The stadium probably matters more to the fans walking into it, than the players.
Soon the Tottenham players will refuse to play away from home due to the condition of the stadiums elsewhere :lol:

“Do they even have a cheese room?”

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Really? Which 5 clubs are about to open a world-class new stadium? And which 5 other clubs have been consistent top 3 clubs in recent seasons?

Huff and puff all you like about United's drawing power. It won't draw Pochettino.
Arsenal, Chelsea, City, United and Liverpool all have similar facitilies. United and Liverpool have stadiums steeped in tradition which Spurs can only dream of. Other 3 have excellent facilities with Chelsea lagging behind but it's hardly a fecking deal breaker considering 9/10 players would still pick them over you. In fact 9/10 players would pick all of the above clubs over Spurs. It's just the football food chain as someone else has already mentioned. No amount of sugar coating is going to change that. But please continue -- it's highly entertaining.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Honestly think the new stadium came at the wrong time for Spurs. They're so close to winning something but won't be able to spend the money they should be spending because of their debt. They will take a similar route to Arsenal I feel, but Arsenal are a much bigger club so that helped them more.

Paxi

Glaston sounds like a realtor trying to flog you haunted mansion.

Berbaclass

Honestly think the new stadium came at the wrong time for Spurs. They're so close to winning something but won't be able to spend the money they should be spending because of their debt. They will take a similar route to Arsenal I feel, but Arsenal are a much bigger club so that helped them more.
They’re also banking on finding players for cheap with equivalent ability/potential levels to Kane/Alli/Eriksen/Toby/Vertonghen etc to keep sustaining them

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rubbish. With a multi-million pound salary on offer, a talented squad, CL football, world class training facilities and a fantastic new stadium all on offer, managers would be falling over each to apply.

Managers mostly worry about getting sacked. They don't worry about being held to a signed contract.
That all sounds very appealing to a manager, truly, but what if he wants a break from managing the greatest club in the history of the universe and he decides to go slumming it at United or Real? Nope, the Spurs job is for life, says Daniel Levy, instead you be demoted to the position of head gardener until your contract runs out, at which point you will be free to leave.

Can you utterly ridiculous that sounds?

Berbaclass

Can you imagine having to claim expenses from a man like Daniel Levy. Cut to United where Woodward probably just throws his black card through the door at you.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
100%. There is zero chance of Pochettino walking away from a new-signed 5 year contract to go manage United in the Europa League when things are going so well for him at Spurs.
If that is true, then why doesn’t he say it? “I confirm that I will not leave Spurs to take the Man United job”. That ends all the frenzy instantly.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yeah I’d say so. You know very well that players simply cost more these days.
I see. So Spurs just got "lucky" with Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Son and others. And I suppose United just got "unlucky" with Sanchez, Pogba, Lindelof, Bailly, Mourinho, Moyes, LvG and others too numerous to mention.

Well, the "lucky" explanation is a theory I suppose ... but a crap one.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Arsenal, Chelsea, City, United and Liverpool all have similar facitilies. United and Liverpool have stadiums steeped in tradition which Spurs can only dream of. Other 3 have excellent facilities with Chelsea lagging behind but it's hardly a fecking deal breaker considering 9/10 players would still pick them over you. In fact 9/10 players would pick all of the above clubs over Spurs. It's just the football food chain as someone else has already mentioned. No amount of sugar coating is going to change that. But please continue -- it's highly entertaining.
That's a very key element people seem to be forgetting, players dream of walking out at Old Trafford, do the players really care if the fans have heated seats?

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
If Poch was anywhere but Spurs i would think that if the board at United wanted him as next manager, there wouldn't be too many problems.
But, this is Levy and he hates United with a passion. I do think we would get him eventually but it would come at a very high cost and after right old battle royale

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If that is true, then why doesn’t he say it? “I confirm that I will not leave Spurs to take the Man United job”. That ends all the frenzy instantly.
This has been explained several times in this thread already, if you'd care to scroll back.

Berbaclass

I see. So Spurs just got "lucky" with Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Son and others. And I suppose United just got "unlucky" with Sanchez, Pogba, Lindelof, Bailly, Mourinho, Moyes, LvG and others too numerous to mention.

Well, the "lucky" explanation is a theory I suppose ... but a crap one.
Spurs have been extremely fortunate with getting cheap players have they not? There is some degree of good luck there it’s indisputable. Kane, Alli, Eriksen and definitely Toby who probably should have signed for Soton.

We have indeed been unfortunate to an extent with some of the names you have mentioned but I don’t see how managers fit into that. We’re talking about players here...

Paxi

That's a very key element people seem to be forgetting, players dream of walking out at Old Trafford, do the players really care if the fans have heated seats?
No but Spurs have a stadium where pints pour themselves didn't ya know. Fantastic, world class arena.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If Poch was anywhere but Spurs i would think that if the board at United wanted him as next manager, there wouldn't be too many problems.
But, this is Levy and he hates United with a passion. I do think we would get him eventually but it would come at a very high cost and after right old battle royale
Poch can just resign. Like he did at Southampton.

Then we come to a settlement with Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That all sounds very appealing to a manager, truly, but what if he wants a break from managing the greatest club in the history of the universe and he decides to go slumming it at United or Real? Nope, the Spurs job is for life, says Daniel Levy, instead you be demoted to the position of head gardener until your contract runs out, at which point you will be free to leave.

Can you utterly ridiculous that sounds?
It would sound ridiculous if I had said any of those things, but I didn't. But carry on with your inventions if it so pleases.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They’re also banking on finding players for cheap with equivalent ability/potential levels to Kane/Alli/Eriksen/Toby/Vertonghen etc to keep sustaining them
It's going to be impossible to finding players like that for the prices they did as they found out last summer. Other clubs in England and Europe keep improving their scouting departments, it's harder to find those type of players. Even if Spurs found those players, clubs will be asking for a lot more now knowing they have the money now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This has been explained several times in this thread already, if you'd care to scroll back.
There is no such explanation in existence.

All Poch needs to do is release a statement categorically stating he has no interest in the United job. That is the only way this debate will ever be put to bed and you know it.

Why hasn't he done it?

Berbaclass

It's going to be impossible to finding players like that for the prices they did as they found out last summer. Other clubs in England and Europe keep improving their scouting departments, it's harder to find those type of players. Even if Spurs found those players, clubs will be asking for a lot more now knowing they have the money now.
Exactly and this is why Pochettino should move on. It’s unsustainable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes, I thought not. All mouth and no trousers.
Someone really needs to start a “Glastonspaz the caf bookie” thread. Can’t be arsed mining all the old post but this must be the latest in dozens of pathetic attempts at wagers on the caf. Does anyone know if one of them has ever resulted in money changing hands?!?

Berbaclass

Someone really needs to start a “Glastonspaz the caf bookie” thread. Can’t be arsed mining all the old post but this must be the latest in dozens of pathetic attempts at wagers on the caf. Does anyone know if one of them has ever resulted in money changing hands?!?
I imagine most of his posts don’t age tremendously well to be fair :lol:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

The manager is under contract with another football club

It is this situation which can cause the most conflict as is often a scenario which comes into play when a club wishes to appoint a highly sought after manager. The small group of real high profile managers will in most instances be employed with a club, so if another club wishes to gain their services they will have to pay the price.

Do clubs have to pay a transfer fee for a manager for a manager who moves clubs in this manner?
If a football player under contract were to move in this manner the clubs would pay a transfer fee – the terms of which will be agreed upon by the two clubs. For a manager to move there is no specific transfer fee but the clubs do have to come to an arrangement.

What kind of arrangement?
The club who gains the services of the manager will be required to pay a fee to compensate the club who is losing the manager. The amount of compensation is a matter which will be agreed between the two clubs.

What is this compensation for?
When the manager leaves the club to which he was originally contracted he will be deemed to have terminated his contract early (a breach of the contract) meaning that the club will need to be compensated for this loss.

What happens if the clubs cannot agree an adequate amount of compensation?
If the manager moves between clubs and the clubs cannot agree on an adequate amount of compensation then due to the early termination of the contract the original club will be able to bring the following claims:

• Breach of contract – by the manager
  • Inducement to breach the contract – by the club obtaining his services
It is likely that both these claims are to be heard by a disciplinary tribunal which will decide on the adequate amount of compensation to be paid.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/managers-moving-clubs/

Good to know that an independent tribunal will decide the compo if the clubs can't agree.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It would sound ridiculous if I had said any of those things, but I didn't. But carry on with your inventions if it so pleases.
You said this literally a matter of hours ago.

Not true. He could just place Pochettino on gardening leave for a year or two and leave United in limbo-land. But it won't come to that because Pochettino won't be keen on leaving.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Spurs have been extremely fortunate with getting cheap players have they not? There is some degree of good luck there it’s indisputable. Kane, Alli, Eriksen and definitely Toby who probably should have signed for Soton.

We have indeed been unfortunate to an extent with some of the names you have mentioned but I don’t see how managers fit into that. We’re talking about players here...
We've been lucky to some extent to have Kane come through our academy and develop into the world's best forward. But you do our scouting and transfer negotiation ability a disservice to dismiss all the rest as just being down to luck.

Berbaclass

We've been lucky to some extent to have Kane come through our academy and develop into the world's best forward. But you do our scouting and transfer negotiation ability a disservice to dismiss all the rest as just being down to luck.
I’m not denying that you have done some great scouting work because you obviously have. It’s just an unsustainable model to work from IMO because it simply can’t be done every year.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There is no such explanation in existence.

All Poch needs to do is release a statement categorically stating he has no interest in the United job. That is the only way this debate will ever be put to bed and you know it.

Why hasn't he done it?
Yes, there is. I can't help it if you're too lazy to scroll back and I can't be bothered doing it for you.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There is no feasible explanation in existence.

What is stopping Poch from releasing a statement and putting this whole debate to bed?
It's already been explained. If you don't like the explanation then too bad.