g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We've been lucky to some extent to have Kane come through our academy and develop into the world's best forward. But you do our scouting and transfer negotiation ability a disservice to dismiss all the rest as just being down to luck.
Have a few players retired recently that we weren't aware of?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes. And it bears little resemblance to your ridiculous "translation".
Lost in translation is what you're going with?

I read it as:

From managing the greatest club in the history of the Universe, Tottenham fecking Hotspur, to that of head gardener. All for having the audacity to ask for a move.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I’m not denying that you have done some great scouting work because you obviously have. It’s just an unsustainable model to work from IMO because it simply can’t be done every year.
People on here have been saying this every summer for several years past.

Foyth and Sanchez are two of our most recent signings - and look destined to become our main CB pairing after Toby and Vertonghen are gone. Moura was signed less than a year ago and has impressed.

Moreover, good scouting and transfer negotiation is not the sole basis for the Spurs model. There is also player development/improvement once signed, plus promotion of younger players from our academy. There were four such ex-academy players who started away against Barca in the CL recently.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Foyth and Sanchez are two of our most recent signings - and look destined to become our main CB pairing after Toby and Vertonghen are gone. Moura was signed less than a year ago and has impressed.

Moreover, good scouting and transfer negotiation is not the sole basis for the Spurs model. There is also player development/improvement once signed, plus promotion of younger players from our academy. There were four such ex-academy players who started away against Barca in the CL recently.
How can you say that when the players they’re supposed to be replacing are still at the club. At the moment they’re backups to your better players.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rubbish. With a multi-million pound salary on offer, a talented squad, CL football, world class training facilities and a fantastic new stadium all on offer, managers would be falling over each to apply.

Managers mostly worry about getting sacked. They don't worry about being held to a signed contract.
I love it! :lol:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Lost in translation is what you're going with?

I read it as:

From managing the greatest club in the history of the Universe, Tottenham fecking Hotspur, to that of head gardener. All for having the audacity to ask for a move.
I can't be bothered with your silly comments. Go ahead and create more "translations" if it so pleases.

Sarni

Several years? Spurs have been good for like 3 or 4 years. Finished in top 4 four times out of last eight seasons. Got over 80 points once in the last two decades. Got more than 75 twice in the last two decades. It's much better than the 55-60 point seasons a while ago but Spurs are basically a 70-75 point club these days.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Thread.

I'm not sure if that sounds like an opinion or not but I'd wager that Sam Lee does have a few decent contacts at United even though he's tier 1 for City. Also helps that he's a United "fan" - you'd think he would have a degree of interest in this.
Few thoughts. Since he's so appalled by Solskjaer, who would he have wanted for caretaker?
Second, I'm surprised he's so confident Pochettino is on his way. He's a serious journalist and doesn't make shit up. Wonder where he got the info.

Sarni

Poch is 6/4 to be next United permanent manager. It's in the bag folks.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
How can you say that when the players they’re supposed to be replacing are still at the club. At the moment they’re backups to your better players.
Yes, they are backups currently, but I did say "future CB pairing". And I've seen them play. And I've seen how Poch trusts them even in the biggest games, so IMO they are being groomed to become our near-future CB mainstays.

Sarni

Few thoughts. Since he's so appalled by Solskjaer, who would he have wanted for caretaker?
Second, I'm surprised he's so confident Pochettino is on his way. He's a serious journalist and doesn't make shit up. Wonder where he got the info.
I imagine there would have already been conversations with Pochettino. United are a natural step in his career, he's gone from average Premier League team at Southampton to a good Premier League club at Tottenham and now it's time for him to go and compete for trophies, backed by hundreds of millions of transfer budget. In a way United job is more appealing than Real Madrid job because he won't exactly be asked to deliver trophies from day one, we will be patient and will give him time to build a new team as long as he keeps delivering respectable performances and top 4 finishes which I'm sure he should be able to do.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I can't be bothered with your silly comments. Go ahead and create more "translations" if it so pleases.
You'd be taken a lot more seriously on here if you weren't so tunnel-visioned about Spurs. I haven't ever read one single word from you that isn't solely pro-Spurs. Not one. It reads as though you are on the payroll.

There is absolutely no way that you are 100% convinced that there is no chance of our poaching Pochettino. If you are then you are deluding yourself. Even if someone doesn't think it will happen (I'm in that camp) there is definitely an element of doubt there. Until we get a statement from the man himself this story will grow and grow

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
You say others are fantasising stuff and yet post stuff like this. What's the proof of this?
His quotes about what he says about Spurs. Jeez, read any interview over the years. He’s so invested in Spurs he lives and breathes us. There’s going to be so many disappointed united fans in the summer. Let’s hope OGS wins a few games hey!

Poch is 6/4 to be next United permanent manager. It's in the bag folks.
Odds drift like crazy when a bit of money goes on it. You’ll be throwing your money down the drain.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not even sure how many are genuinely arguing and how many are just trying to wind up Glaston :lol:

Sarni

Not even sure how many are genuinely arguing and how many are just trying to wind up Glaston :lol:
Guilty. :lol:

I actually liked Tottenham as a club before I saw Glaston's posts on here. They've gone from a very likeable team to a club I genuinely dislike more than anyone bar Liverpool and City.

Berbaclass

Yes, they are backups currently, but I did say "future CB pairing". And I've seen them play. And I've seen how Poch trusts them even in the biggest games, so IMO they are being groomed to become our near-future CB mainstays.
It’s still impossible to predict how they’ll perform when they’re not behind anyone in the pecking order and they don’t have the experience of a Toby or Vertonghen around them.

Not saying they will or won’t be up to standards but there are so many intangibles involved.

Like it has also been said you have only been good for 3-4 years now, you’re getting ahead of yourself a little. The transition of players between this crop and the next is absolutely huge for you you can’t just replace players like Eriksen or Toby and what they give in experience through youth.

Traub

We were also grooming Jones and Smalling at a stage, I wouldn’t get your hopes up just yet.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Guilty. :lol:

I actually liked Tottenham as a club before I saw Glaston's posts on here. They've gone from a very likeable team to a club I genuinely dislike more than anyone bar Liverpool and City.
Think many are on same boat. It's shame one person shouldn't have so much impact. I think after SAF, Glaston is probably the only person to have so much impact on one club. :D

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I imagine there would have already been conversations with Pochettino. United are a natural step in his career, he's gone from average Premier League team at Southampton to a good Premier League club at Tottenham and now it's time for him to go and compete for trophies, backed by hundreds of millions of transfer budget. In a way United job is more appealing than Real Madrid job because he won't exactly be asked to deliver trophies from day one, we will be patient and will give him time to build a new team as long as he keeps delivering respectable performances and top 4 finishes which I'm sure he should be able to do.
Yeah. I want Poch, have wanted him since 2015. But I'm not as confident as some on here and in the media are that he will come.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
For those analyzing the video of the press conference yesterday, analyze this and compare to the one yesterday.

BlueHaze

These reporters really have an enormous lack of respect towards both Tottenham and Poch.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You'd be taken a lot more seriously on here if you weren't so tunnel-visioned about Spurs. I haven't ever read one single word from you that isn't solely pro-Spurs. Not one. It reads as though you are on the payroll.

There is absolutely no way that you are 100% convinced that there is no chance of our poaching Pochettino. If you are then you are deluding yourself. Even if someone doesn't think it will happen (I'm in that camp) there is definitely an element of doubt there. Until we get a statement from the man himself this story will grow and grow
Actually, when Spurs lose a match I tell the truth, which is usually that we deserved to lose, without making excuses concerning the match officials or whatever. And when we signed Sissoko, for example, I criticised that decision for the money involved.

I strongly doubt they'll be any statement from Pochettino about United. It's just not his style to address such rumours, just as he didn't concerning RM in the summer. He basically doesn't feel the need to comment. He's said he's very happy at Spurs, feels at home in the club and feels an emotional connection to fans. I also think he's man of principle and having signed a new contract will stick with it.

So let the story grow and grow: that's the way of click-bait and won't change regardless.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
His quotes about what he says about Spurs. Jeez, read any interview over the years. He’s so invested in Spurs he lives and breathes us. There’s going to be so many disappointed united fans in the summer. Let’s hope OGS wins a few games hey!
Most of us want Poch simply to get one over on Glaston - which is a testament to his skills as a professional WUM - but if it doesn't happen we would gladly accept Zidane, Allegri, Jardim or even Eddie Howe who continues to impress at Bournemouth.

For all Poch's plus points, of which there are many to his credit, there remains a lingering doubt in that he is yet to win a trophy of any kind. That might be acceptable at Spurs, but at United, he will be required to deliver.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I can't see any reason why Poch wouldn't take the United job. Glaston goes on about the world class stadium, the training facilities, the top 3 finishes but that means jack shit in the scheme of things.
If Poch is such a football romantic, do you not think he'd be drooling at the thought at restoring the biggest club in the country to former glories?
United also have the world class stadium and training facilities don't forget as well as a transfer budget far in excess of Levy's wallet.
I suppose Old Trafford doesn't have a glass tunnel though so that might swing it in favour of him staying at Spurs

Acole9

Outstanding
These reporters really have an enormous lack of respect towards both Tottenham and Poch.
That Sky reporter was going well over the top at that press conference the other day, never seen a reporter behave in that way. I know it's his job but the club would be well within their rights to ban him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Actually, when Spurs lose a match I tell the truth, which is usually that we deserved to lose, without making excuses concerning the match officials or whatever. And when we signed Sissoko, for example, I criticised that decision for the money involved.

I strongly doubt they'll be any statement from Pochettino about United. It's just not his style to address such rumours, just as he didn't concerning RM in the summer. He basically doesn't feel the need to comment. He's said he's very happy at Spurs, feels at home in the club and feels an emotional connection to fans. I also think he's man of principle and having signed a new contract will stick with it.

So let the story grow and grow: that's the way of click-bait and won't change regardless.
Actually when Spurs lose a match you go missing until they next win

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Is it not sensible to get in the replacements for players to learn from the current batch?

Berbaclass

Is it not sensible to get in the replacements for players to learn from the current batch?
The point is you can’t put all your eggs in the youth prospects basket. It’s unsustainable because obviously not all players reach their potential.

El-Manos

Sure it's been discussed already but can someone tell me how it would work securing a manager under contract?

Do we pay a fee to spurs like a transfer?
You basically have to negotiate with Glaston in the excellent, fantastic training facilities.... furthermore you have sign the contract in the out of this world player’s lodge, where your feet will be massaged, while sipping on a brandy brought to you by Harry Kane in a mini skirt and tee that says”Daddy want want”.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
The point is you can’t put all your eggs in the youth prospects basket. It’s unsustainable because obviously not all players reach their potential.
I dont think Spurs do that though. They bring in lads who have the potential to be very good premier league players like Bale, Modric, Eriksen or Alli and they combine them with very promising young players. I think the flaw with the top 4 is that they wont do this and just want to buy in fully developed top class players at all costs.