A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I personally prefer Marco Rose to Poch, but wouldn't be dissapointed with Poch either.

Spurs and Poch need to make a statement via a press release to end this speculation. If Poch isn't interested in the United job, then it should be easy to rule it out. The longer they leave it, the more intense the speculation and the more chance of Poch wanting to leave. Also it could have a negative impact on the Spurs players.

Disagree all you like Spurs fans, but it shouldn't be difficult for him kill all the speculation.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I personally prefer Marco Rose to Poch, but wouldn't be dissapointed with Poch either.

Spurs and Poch need to make a statement via a press release to end this speculation. If Poch isn't interested in the United job, then it should be easy to rule it out. The longer they leave it, the more intense the speculation and the more chance of Poch wanting to leave. Also it could have a negative impact on the Spurs players.

Disagree all you like Spurs fans, but it shouldn't be difficult for him kill all the speculation.
It was a similar situation with Real Madrid though wasn't it? They didn't do any press release for that. It all depends on Poch and what he wants and the internal discussions they have had if any.

waza7111

I think he's using the speculation as a way of pressuring Levy into giving him a £100 million summer transfer budget. Not sure if that will happen.

Last edited:

Habs

Spurs aren’t going to put a well paid manager on any leave and hire another and pay them as well just to satisfy teenagers on the Internet. If Poch stays, it will be because he wants to stay.
It's amazing what people come out with :lol: You can barely keep unhappy player's around because of the stink it causes around the team and club, but somehow Levy will keep a manager around that doesn't want to be there; not in charge of the team of course but maybe as a ball boy. These guys are businessmen, if Poch wants to leave it'll be worked out and Spurs will be compensated.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its not as simple as putting him in gardening leave either. If he wants to join us, he will join us.

Spurs contract part is also wrong unless you take a severance pay from Spurs. If I resign my post and take no severance, I am free to join any club I want . Ofcourse, the legal things could be different for each contracts but typically this is what happens in a manager contract .
I work under a contract, always have if I decided to quit my job and not return I would most likely be taken to court by my employer for breach of contract and not allowed to work elsewhere for a number of years. There is of course a kind of gentleman’s agreement in that we don’t do silly things like that.

It’s an irrelevant argument anyway, I can’t see Poch doing that, if and that’s a big IF Poch wants to leave enough to make him push the issue, Levy will reluctantly let him go rinsing United in the process.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It’s an irrelevant argument anyway, I can’t see Poch doing that, if and that’s a big IF Poch wants to leave enough to make him push the issue, Levy will reluctantly let him go rinsing United in the process.
Pretty much, yeah.

If Poch does join United, who do you think will replace him at Spurs and how much of an impact do you think losing Poch will have on the players and the club in general?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was a similar situation with Real Madrid though wasn't it? They didn't do any press release for that. It all depends on Poch and what he wants and the internal discussions they have had if any.
The problem here is, we will be without a permanent manager for the remainder of the season, and we play in the same country as the club who has our supposed no1 target. The Madrid speculation will be nothing compared to what will happen in the coming months because Manchester United sells news in the UK. Poch will be constantly asked the same question over and over again.

The longer they leave it, the more intense the speculation will be. If Poch and Spurs don't quash the rumours, then something is happening behind the scenes imo.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Which show? The debate?
What debate? Will someone please explain or post some link?
It's here lads, apologies if already posted - Merson appears under the influence of some kind of pretty decent stimulant that kicks in as the vid goes on...

Interesting debate. Around 17.00 Sherwood explains that if Mitchell comes in - Spuds fans should basically start accepting that we're getting Pochettino.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, looks like you are the one who doesnt understand how manager contract works. Typically there is no release clause in manager contract (not sure if there are exceptions) .

If Poch wants to join us, he will join us. Levy will have no say in it.
Nope. Pochettino can't do shit, united can't do shit, unless the contract is terminated. And only an agreement betwee Pochettino and Tottenham can terminate the contract

Habs

Nope. Pochettino can't do shit, united can't do shit, unless the contract is terminated. And only an agreement betwee Pochettino and Tottenham can terminate the contract
So Pochettino can do something?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I work under a contract, always have if I decided to quit my job and not return I would most likely be taken to court by my employer for breach of contract and not allowed to work elsewhere for a number of years. There is of course a kind of gentleman’s agreement in that we don’t do silly things like that.

Precisely . Its a well known fact that Managers has a bigger say in these kind of situations. So its really funny when I hear "garden leave ", "Levy unwilling to negotiate " kind of things. Rinsing is also a wrong word as a club cannot be held to ransom like we do in player sales . Ofcourse there will be a figure - albeit a good one- but not in the range of 50m.

If he doesn't want to leave, then its end of the discussion.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Surely there would be a rival clause preventing Poch from going to an English club if he left Spurs? If he leaves Spurs soon then he would go to another league.

Skills

Snitch
Spurs aren’t going to put a well paid manager on any leave and hire another and pay them as well just to satisfy teenagers on the Internet. If Poch stays, it will be because he wants to stay.
This. If someone's stupid enough to do it, I'm pretty sure there are employment laws that will prevent them & the LMA would sue them to the ground.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Its not as simple as putting him in gardening leave either. If he wants to join us, he will join us.

Spurs contract part is also wrong unless you take a severance pay from Spurs. If I resign my post and take no severance, I am free to join any club I want . Ofcourse, the legal things could be different for each contracts but typically this is what happens in a manager contract .
Nope. That's what typically happens because clubs don't want to pay a manager to stay at home. This however is a different scenario. If Levy were willing to just let pochettino go he'dbe in madrid now. He'll want compensation. He's going to be the most expensive manager ever

Beaucoup

What would the club have to pay to buy him out? If it’s north of 20m i just can’t see us doing it.

tomaldinho1

Levy will definitely asked Poch to issue a statement although he'd have known Poch wouldn't do that immediately.

As I see it, Poch is in a position of power - seemingly top choice for the 2 biggest jobs in football (RM & MU) whilst being at a club he has dramatically improved since taking over. He will do one of the following:
  1. Use this as a bargaining chip with Levy to get some assurances, predominantly around transfers, then issue a statement committing to Spurs. I feel this is unlikely.
  2. Do nothing, he's interested in one of RM and/or MU but will wait to see where things stand at the end of the season. No statement & loads and loads of awkward press conferences.

bond19821982

Nope. That's what typically happens because clubs don't want to pay a manager to stay at home. This however is a different scenario. If Levy were willing to just let pochettino go he'dbe in madrid now. He'll want compensation. He's going to be the most expensive manager ever
He is not in Madrid because he didn't want to. Has feck all to do with Levy. If he really wanted Madrid, he would have got it. Its Real Madrid we are talking about.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Pretty much, yeah.

If Poch does join United, who do you think will replace him at Spurs and how much of an impact do you think losing Poch will have on the players and the club in general?
Eddie Howe no doubt about it, similar styles, similar personalities and he deserves his step up. I honestly think I s who United should be after, but what do I know.

As for how it will impact the club, I have no idea, far too many variables. I would say Eriksen and Toby would be off but that’s that the only ones I could imagine. It would be a blow obviously but we would move on.

Again I don’t think it will happen.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He is not in Madrid because he didn't want to. Has feck all to do with Levy. If he really wanted Madrid, he would have got it. Its Real Madrid we are talking about.
Poch couldn't realistically join Madrid so soon after signing a huge contract extension with Spurs, not without severing all ties with the club and it's adoring fanbase (who he has a deep affinity with), on top of completely destroying his reputation within the game. I think he would be Madrid manager right now had he not signed that contract extension.

United face will face a similar issue this summer. The only way Poch leaves Spurs is by publically declaring an interest in the United job, leaving Levy with absolutely no option but to negotiate his release. I can't see Poch doing that in all honesty.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Precisely . Its a well known fact that Managers has a bigger say in these kind of situations. So its really funny when I hear "garden leave ", "Levy unwilling to negotiate " kind of things. Rinsing is also a wrong word as a club cannot be held to ransom like we do in player sales . Ofcourse there will be a figure - albeit a good one- but not in the range of 50m.

If he doesn't want to leave, then its end of the discussion.
The hole *holding to ransom* is bulllshit a tagline to sell papers. The minimum Levy will ask for will be what’s left on his contract, there will probably be non finiacial add ons as well it won’t be Woodward walking in and saying this and that, unless of course Poch kicks up a fuss. It’s all talk at the moment. I took Poch’s presser is him saying what he has always said, he is under contract, at the moment he is happy to see out that contract and you should talk to Levy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Poch couldn't realistically join Madrid so soon after signing a huge contract extension with Spurs, not without severing all ties with the club and it's adoring fanbase (who he has a deep affinity with), on top of completely destroying his reputation within the game. I think he would be Madrid manager right now had he not signed that contract extension.

United face will face a similar issue this summer. The only way Poch leaves Spurs is by publically declaring an interest in the United job, leaving Levy with absolutely no option but to negotiate his release. I can't see Poch doing that in all honesty.
That’s how I see it too. He may want consider United but I don’t think he will push it. There is a difference between being interested in something and being prepared to throw the last 6 years of your life away to get it. He’s I very intelligent and knows he is young enough. Remember he has said he would like to manage both PSG and the National Team before he retires.

bond19821982

Ofcourse, its assuming he wants to leave and if he wants to leave, there is nothing Levy or Spurs can do.

He wouldn't have thought that RM job would open up so soon. Thats exactly whats going to work in our favor now. He has enough time to think about it and will make a decision eventually.

TheAlpineKlopp

Supports
Southampton
Full disclosure: I'm a Southampton Fan.

I'd just like to weigh in on this.

If United want Poch, United will get Poch.

This is a guy who walked out on us mid-contract when we had some of the best players in the League and
were playing the kind of football Spurs could only dream of ~(at that time) and obviously were dreaming about
hence their relentless pursuit of Poch.

As someone who saw first hand why poch left, I'll be really quick and summarise.

Poch left because Spurs could offer him EVERYTHING we couldn't, just like United can offer him EVERYTHING that Spurs can't.

United can afford to literally spunk £100M+ on ONE player, Spurs entire transfer budget after this shiny new stadium of theirs won't
even scratch the surface of that.

And on the £34M it would take to get Poch, again, if United want Poch they will get him.

Pochettino isn't interested in building legacies, the guy wants Trophies, the guy wants status...he's been at Spurs 5 years.

Levy can play hard ball all he wants, I've seen Poch first hand. If he wants out he will go and (so far) and I know
it's only been 3 days, he hasn't outright come out to the press and distanced himself has he? No. He'd be stupid to.

Didn't SAF meet with Poch in London before Mourinho?

Do spurs fans eally think that was just a Spag Bol and a chat?...I don't think so.

I hope United get him for a multitude of reasons, not least because I love Luke Shaw, luke's a great character (mate of mine knew him) very reclusive, don't go out much... but tremendous footballer, I know the bond between Luke and Poch was very strong when both were here at Saints and it would be an absolute pleasure to watch the lad enjoy his football again.

Saints Fan.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Full disclosure: I'm a Southampton Fan.

I'd just like to weigh in on this.

If United want Poch, United will get Poch.

This is a guy who walked out on us mid-contract when we had some of the best players in the League and
were playing the kind of football Spurs could only dream of ~(at that time) and obviously were dreaming about
hence their relentless pursuit of Poch.

As someone who saw first hand why poch left, I'll be really quick and summarise.

Poch left because Spurs could offer him EVERYTHING we couldn't, just like United can offer him EVERYTHING that Spurs can't.

United can afford to literally spunk £100M+ on ONE player, Spurs entire transfer budget after this shiny new stadium of theirs won't
even scratch the surface of that.

And on the £34M it would take to get Poch, again, if United want Poch they will get him.

Pochettino isn't interested in building legacies, the guy wants Trophies, the guy wants status...he's been at Spurs 5 years.

Levy can play hard ball all he wants, I've seen Poch first hand. If he wants out he will go and (so far) and I know
it's only been 3 days, he hasn't outright come out to the press and distanced himself has he? No. He'd be stupid to.

Didn't SAF meet with Poch in London before Mourinho?

Do spurs fans eally think that was just a Spag Bol and a chat?...I don't think so.

I hope United get him for a multitude of reasons, not least because I love Luke Shaw, luke's a great character (mate of mine knew him) very reclusive, don't go out much... but tremendous footballer, I know the bond between Luke and Poch was very strong when both were here at Saints and it would be an absolute pleasure to watch the lad enjoy his football again.

Saints Fan.
How many Saints players were sold? Did the owners priorities change? Why did Cortese resign? Poch questioned Shaw’s application in his book. You sure you are a Saints fan, all was far from rosey at the time.

TheAlpineKlopp

Supports
Southampton
How many Saints players were sold? Did the owners priorities change? Why did Cortese resign? Poch questioned Shaw’s application in his book. You sure you are a Saints fan, all was far from rosey at the time.
The sudden unexpected death of our owner Marcus Liebherr probably had something to do with all that.

Am I a Saints fan...100% mate.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The sudden unexpected death of our owner Marcus Liebherr probably had something to do with all that.

Am I a Saints fan...100% mate.
Well I think you left that bit out, he was interested in football was he not, had a lot of ambition but after he dies his daughter took over and basically didn’t really want anything to do with it.

She clashed with Cortese and he resigned, Poch said he wanted to follow but stayed then, the stars began to get sold off. The hole philosophy of the club changed and the actual guy that sold Poch the idea had left.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pochettino is definitely a fan of Shaw, 100%

Tarrou

The prospect of having this going on for 6 months is horrible for Spurs. It could derail their season.

I'd say it's about 50/50 he joins United.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The prospect of having this going on for 6 months is horrible for Spurs. It could derail their season.

I'd say it's about 50/50 he joins United.
Why? At this moment in time Poch has said he is happy where he is and under contract. Until Poch says anything different I’m not particualry worried. Certainly didn’t effect us last night.

Tarrou

Why? At this moment in time Poch has said he is happy where he is and under contract. Until Poch says anything different I’m not particualry worried. Certainly didn’t effect us last night.
That is what everyone says when they don't want to commit. It is meaningless.

fergies coat

He’s coming to United and there’s not a thing Spurs can do about it. He didn’t think twice to leave Southampton. Why would he want to stay at a tiny club like Spurs, when he can join the biggest club in the world? It’s a no brainier.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No, looks like you are the one who doesnt understand how manager contract works. Typically there is no release clause in manager contract (not sure if there are exceptions) .

If Poch wants to join us, he will join us. Levy will have no say in it.
What? Contract is contract. The same way how managers are protected when club is sacking them, the same way are clubs protected. Coach can't say; " sorry, i am going now". Poch has contract. So he can resign. But Levy can refuse that.
If we want Poch, we must pay fee to Spurs.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
"Only God knows"

"I stay"

We all know words mean feck all in football.

At this point nothing is set in stone but only handul of people know where Poch wants to be next season. And it's his family and his agent. Not Levy, not Woodward, not some hacks and certainly not some feckwits on a forum.

It is defienetly 50/50 at the minute. I certainly couldn't call it with any great certainty.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
"Only God knows"

"I stay"

We all know words mean feck all in football.

At this point nothing is set in stone but only handul of people know where Poch wants to be next season. And it's his family and his agent. Not Levy, not Woodward, not some hacks and certainly not some feckwits on a forum.

It is defienetly 50/50 at the minute. I certainly couldn't call it with any great certainty.
He doesn’t have an agent. I’m pretty sure Levy knows also, I mean do you not think the bald one would ask him?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Have you read Poch’s book? He may be a fan but he questions he application.
I haven't, no. He probably did when he was younger but I know for certain he's very much a fan of Shaw, and I don't doubt if he comes to United he'll be his number one left back.