g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Mindhunter

Since Glaston joined Redcafe Spurs have won 1 league cup.

Utd have won 5 Premier League titles, 1 FA Cup, 3 League Cups, 1 European Cup, 1 Europa League and 1 World Club World Cup.

Just mentioning facts.
Spurs have 4th place trophies, amazing training facilities, and a leaky new stadium where underpaid players forget their misery and run around waving their flags and empty pockets.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
No, but several others have.
So what is that percentage of players who came in for just a last pay day in comparison to the likes of Pogba, Lukaku and Fred etc? You made it seem as if the general consensus entails that the majority of players view United as a last cheque which obviously is not correct at all. The several others are the majority? And which time line have you applied? You mentioned Schweinsteiger, but didnt mention Rojo, Depay, Herrera, Blind who didnt view it as a cash grab,now did they?

Remember you mentioned the words ‘to many players’.... within a majority...

Litch

We've seen it many times both players and managers alike....nobody knows how they are gonna cope until they arrive here as whatever they think they know about the size of the club, it wont be big enough.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Well, it would be nice in terms of United fans happily indulging in daydreams, that I'll grant you.

But it's better in the long run for you have at least some posters who provide a reality check. I don't expect my clear opinion that Pochettino won't be leaving Spurs to be popular on here, but then it isn't a popularity contest.

There have been plenty of United fans in this thread arrogantly proclaiming that if United want him they'll get him, plus others who have been quick to toss out personal insults (while I have not) when their views are disputed. I don't see that as being very "nice."
I agree with the arrogance part.

Peter Cook

Supports
AJAX
l think he will stay . He's been offered the Real job already and didn't take it
He has a love for Spurs that money can't buy even with all its complications .
Man Utd could be seen as a step down with the mess its in.

Litch

It's all relative and I'm sure those teams where Spurs have previously signed their players or their managers felt exactly the same.

red4ever 79

Clearly building something at Spurs, and would be best to see that through. If he does well at Spurs, and continues to flourish there, the Utd job will be available again in the next few years anyhow

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Clearly building something at Spurs, and would be best to see that through. If he does well at Spurs, and continues to flourish there, the Utd job will be available again in the next few years anyhow
He was right to turn down Madrid as the timing was godawful when they came calling.
This, however, is the perfect time to come to united. He literally can’t come at a better time...the only way is up. If he turns it down it will confirm either his commitment to spurs or his lack of ambition, whichever way you look at it

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I kind of like Glaston, he is a Spurs fan and as deluded as some of us are. Nothing wrong with that to be fair. He at least shakes things up.
Yeah, it would be fecking boring if we had a bunch of yes men as oppo fan posters.

I happen to like hearing conflicting opinions to my own as well, it’s what make the cafe worth posting on and reading.

Mister_Stubbs

Why as a Man Utd fan do you care about what Spurs are building.. this “Poch can have the job in a couple of years” is nonsense, give him the job now so in a couple of years we can be the dogs bollocks rather than getting in another manager to fail and then bring in Poch.. makes no sense.

red4ever 79

Why as a Man Utd fan do you care about what Spurs are building.. this “Poch can have the job in a couple of years” is nonsense, give him the job now so in a couple of years we can be the dogs bollocks rather than getting in another manager to fail and then bring in Poch.. makes no sense.
Why cant a Manchester United fan have an objective decision? This is a thread discussing all things Poch related.

Alexit

God help us if we go after Poch which means dealing with Daniel Levy:

Across North London, one club found this volatile transfer economy rather to its liking. No one navigated the world of doublespeak and dirty tricks more expertly than Tottenham Hotspur. And for that, it was indebted to a bald, bespectacled Cambridge graduate named Daniel Levy. Shy and studious, Levy was an unlikely candidate to emerge as the most feared...
But it wasn’t long before Daniel Levy determined that the best person to oversee the club’s transfer business was Daniel Levy. “I think people get too hung up on job titles,” he said. “In terms of how we run this club, whether a person is called director of football, sporting director, chief scout, head of recruitment, their job is ultimately to assist the manager in finding quality players.…
When Manchester United finally concluded a £30.75 million deal for the striker Dimitar Berbatov on August 31, 2008—more than twelve months after the Bulgarian striker first informed Spurs of his desire to move to Old Trafford—Alex Ferguson described negotiating with Levy as “more painful than my hip replacement.”
It wasn’t only transfer conventions that Levy ignored. According to the Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, with whom Tottenham struck a deal to buy the French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris in 2012, Levy frequently disregarded contractual clauses and provisions that he had already agreed to. “He talks a lot and goes back on what we have agreed in writing,” Aulas complained.
Source: The Club

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You need a little more self awareness.
It's not arrogance to think that Pochettino will prefer to stay at Spurs. Nor do I claim that Spurs are best team in the land.

I simply make the case that Spurs, far from being some minnow club that United can poach from at will, have a long-term strategy to establish ourselves as one of the elite European clubs. Whether we succeed in this plan remains to be seen, but so far things are unfolding well and there are many strong reasons why Pochettino will want to stick with it.

Some posters have claimed in this thread that Spurs have reached their ceiling, but I see this as little more than wishful thinking. There is huge remaining potential at Spurs. The new stadium might well be the key - financially, and in terms of both atmosphere and prestige - that unlocks the next stage towards realising this potential.

Pochettino is keenly aware of all this and has spoken many times about it ... about wanting to stay for 10 - 15 years, about wanting to establish a dynasty. I think that United will fail to lure him away and would be better off not wasting their time on it.

Eric's Seagull

Pochettino is keenly aware of all this and has spoken many times about it ... about wanting to stay for 10 - 15 years, about wanting to establish a dynasty.
The more I read your posts which are quite interesting the more chance contrary too a lot of opinions on here, I think he may stay at Spurs mate.

Tarrou

The more I read your posts which are quite interesting the more chance contrary too a lot of opinions on here, I think he may stay at Spurs mate.
If he was definitely staying we'd know by now though, so he's at least thinking about it.

Allowing the press circus to continue for 6 months only to stay at Spurs would be strange to say the least

Eric's Seagull

If he was definitely staying we'd know by now though, so he's at least thinking about it.

Allowing the press circus to continue for 6 months only to stay at Spurs would be strange to say the least
Maybe it is a ploy by Levy leaving us think that we are definitely getting Poch, so that we get complacent in search for a permanent manager confidently thinking we are getting Spurs thus putting a rivals plans in slight disarray.

Stactix

Think it certainly depends on how the season pans out, if they keep up in the title race but narrowly miss out while Utd are 20-25 behind first and Levy offers a reasonable warchest in the summer then he'd be very likely to stay IMO.

If he gets no money in the summer or Eriksen/Alder end up leaving.. then I think he'd certainly consider coming to Utd as I think the next couple of seasons are very make/break for Spurs. If they don't invest they will either lose their best players or fall further behind.

Done a brilliant job at Spurs though.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Why would you settle at that assumption?

Pochettino has at least one transfer window coming up, and dismissing Utd would be akin to discarding a large amount of pressure he can put on DL to "keep him happy".

Tarrou

Why would you settle at that assumption?

Pochettino has at least one transfer window coming up, and dismissing Utd would be akin to discarding a large amount of pressure he can put on DL to "keep him happy".
Because it’s hugely destabilizing for his club. If he needs something like this to put pressure on Levy then it’s even more reason to consider the offer.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Because it’s hugely destabilizing for his club. If he needs something like this to put pressure on Levy then it’s even more reason to consider the offer.
It's obviously not destabilising. He's said several times in the last few weeks that he is happy and committed (mostly ignored by the media), but only a fool would completely close the door on a job that hasn't been offered.

He doesn't "need" anything to put pressure on DL, the same way (metaphorically) that a married man doesn't need a young girl to flirt with him to put pressure on his wife, but psychology tends to lean itself towards a little jealousy and insecurity being good for any relationship - professional or otherwise.

Tarrou

It's obviously not destabilising. He's said several times in the last few weeks that he is happy and committed (mostly ignored by the media), but only a fool would completely close the door on a job that hasn't been offered.

He doesn't "need" anything to put pressure on DL, the same way (metaphorically) that a married man doesn't need a young girl to flirt with him to put pressure on his wife, but psychology tends to lean itself towards a little jealousy and insecurity being good for any relationship - professional or otherwise.

There's a risk that an extremely important component of your project is going to leave, and he could end that speculation in a minute but until now hasn't. Instead offering the same non-answers he did before he left Southampton. I disagree this is "obviously not destabilising", but fair enough if you think that and you'd know better than me.

I take your point about DL, I hadn't thought of that angle and it could be the case. If that is what he's doing then he should definitely commit after the window closes, if not before, to let any new signings know he won't jump ship.

I'm not one of these claiming he will definitely leave Spurs, I'd put it at 50/50 but the bookies are less sure, and 2/1 is probably closer to the real chance. I'd be interested to see how he does over the next few years if he sticks around.

TheAlpineKlopp

Supports
Southampton
:lol: Good grief the unwarranted arrogance ...
Not half as arrogant as Spurs fans thinking he WON'T leave because Spurs are...er...a bigger club than Manchester United.

(I've actually seen a good 20 or 30 spurs fans say that and say it with absolutely dead seriousness).

kode

I recall spurs wanted De ligt and De jong, if he is to join us then we might get a chance of having them both (if they are still available) or have similar young exiting players rather than targets like willian, Perisic matic etc. He will also give debuts to the like of chong, greenwich quiet soon

Oldyella

You could make a case for him staying with Spurs or moving to us, there are reasons why both might appeal to him. Maybe he isn't sure himself what he wants to do.

Redderp

Can’t help but realize that most of his attacking game plan is heavily dependent on Harry Kane’s surprisingly amazing hold up play up front. A lot of the chances they create is a long pass down the side or middle to son/Ali/Kane who more often than not have a knack on controlling a very difficult pass.

It’s not too unsimilar to Mourinhos set ups where he essentially relies on individual brilliance up front. I wouldn’t want to see that at United.

However, Pochettino seems like a much better man manager and will more often than not get the best out of individuals more so than Mourinho. For that reason alone I wouldn’t mind him here at United

Regarding if he would come or not. Why not? It’s spurs
I feel like we get this hot take every season. At this point it belongs in the same bin as the one season wonder tag Kane got. They are of course better with Kane, he is a world class striker. But Spurs rarely struggle when he isn’t playing. It’s not like they go from a top 4 team to a midtable team without Kane. Other players step up when Kane isn’t playing.

I’m honestly much more interested in seeing what Pochettino will do if they lose Eriksen in the summer and Pochettino stays with Tottenham. They will need another 8/10 hybrid player and those players are very rare to find, especially with Spurs limited transfer budget. They will have a huge task to find a replacement, because i doubt Eriksen goes for much because of the type of person he is and him only having 1 year left. I think they will drop out of the top 4 next season if Eriksen leaves in the summer.

Eriksen leaving or not will definitely have an influence on what Poch chooses to do. Could tip it one way or another.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Spurs have 4th place trophies, amazing training facilities, and a leaky new stadium where underpaid players forget their misery and run around waving their flags and empty pockets.
And don't forget the player lodge...

acnumber9

I'm with him TBH, we made it sounds like he's begging to come here and the only thing stopping him is Levy.

It's kinda disrespectful
About 80% of those saying if wewant him we just have to snap our fingers are doing it to wind him up though. Few actually believe it I’d say.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
God help us if we go after Poch which means dealing with Daniel Levy:

Source: The Club

Ultimately it will be up to a tribunal. Levy will not be able to do shit except sit there and suck it up if Poch decided to leave.

Litch

Said it before, it's only arrogance when another team makes statements about the Spurs manager and players but not so when Spurs are destabilising other clubs when they are doing the same. It's the hypocrisy of football in general tbh.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
About 80% of those saying if wewant him we just have to snap our fingers are doing it to wind him up though. Few actually believe it I’d say.
Reading the threads here it's as if he's a given to come here next season..

This could end up with a massive muppet suicide.

As for me. I dont hold my breath. He's a Tottenham manager until he signs the dotted line.

Boycott

There are only two factors that I think will appeal to him. The most important is he will receive backing and the type of players he would want to bring to Spurs now such as De Ligt, De Jong, Sancho are out of their budget but well within the realm at United. The second is obviously size of the club which incorporates the history and prestige of managing Manchester United.

But I do not think the second is actually that important to him right now. Because if forget the history and prestige for one moment, why would he want to walk away from the squad he has already built to a very good level, and can go on even further? He's got Kane who he has nurtured into a top striker and at age 25 is locked down pretty much for many years. He's got Alli who is still just 22 and done a lot in the game. Other players like Son, Eriksen, Lucas Moura and Lamela are entering their prime years. Usually it's players who jump ship but aside from Eriksen and Alderweireld the rest are all on lengthy contracts. When you think of it that way why would you walk away.

The second will become important if something changes i.e. Levy will not be able to back him and/or they have to sell a key player to cover stadium costs.

RuudTom83

If I was him I’d stay tbh, a managers career can be very very long...so why rush!?

He has put so much effort into Spurs and with the new stadium around the corner surely he’d love to finish his job seeing his team play in a new home with a trophey in the cabinet.

Only way he goes is if Levy sells a few of his big players.

Moving to United is obviously very tempting but after a season he could find himself out of a job like the previous 3.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I have to say on this, if he wants to stay a spurs, a clever person would use this as leverage to actually get some transfer money commitments.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Many United fans aren't sufficiently aware of the closeness of Pochettino's working relationship with Levy and how much this means to him (Pochettino). He feels hugely appreciated at Spurs - on an emotional level this is very important to him - and understands about the stadium-related financial constraints.

This is what he said 7 months before signing a new contract:

"It's true that sometimes I don't want to be so kind with Daniel because Daniel knows more than me that sometimes we have differences, but I am in love with him. Because he is the type of person who gave me one day, three and a half years ago, the possibility to be here. To be able to write some history for this amazing club, to start to discover a different style of club, a different kind of project. To be here to me is more than a pleasure. I am so happy and my family and that is why I am so proud ... Of course my commitment with the club and Daniel is complete and of course then that depends more on them than me, to be here for 20 years (my emphasis). But of course I think Tottenham is a big club with massive potential. After three-and-a-half years we are always growing and growing."

If the relationship broke down then things might be different, but the relation is solid, Here's what he said 2 weeks ago in relation to the stadium delay:

"The chairman is suffering a lot. He is so tired about work. The last few months he didn't sleep because he is trying to deliver the stadium. I think people don't realise the magnitude of the project and how difficult it is to manage. Everyone is disappointed because we are still not playing there but the day we move everyone is going to realise how massive the project was and how good the facilities are. It doesn't just depend on him. When you build something, you depend on many companies. He is working so hard, too hard, to leave a legacy for ever (my emphasis). And I think that's fantastic."

Or if he felt that Spurs can't go further, then again he might leave. But he has spoken in near future terms about Spurs winning the league title. And we are about to move into one of the best stadiums in world football.

In short, Pochettino is a believer in the Spurs project. He ain't give it up this summer just because United come calling.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wake up in the morning state your opinion, state it again with more feeling, go to bed reset your opinion, wake up in the morning and state your opinion again. In the mean time nothing is any further forward, rinse and repeat.

el3mel

Wake up in the morning state your opinion, state it again with more feeling, go to bed reset your opinion, wake up in the morning and state your opinion again. In the mean time nothing is any further forward, rinse and repeat.
We're all like that mate. :D It's the point of a forum anyway.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
If Levy can guarantee him some investment, then Spurs aren't far off being one of the best sides in Europe and by extension competing for the top trophies.

But ultimately it's Man Utd, and Tottenham are Tottenham. One of them absolutely dwarves the other. I think he's already made his mind up and will be at Old Trafford come August.