A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Haven't bothered to read up the cafalysis after their loss, but I take it the 'bottler' tag is out and people are convinced that Poch isn't the fella for us, eh?

staniswin

Serious bottler. Argentine Moyes..if we only want to develop youth and compete for top 4 with limited budget ,then he is the man , but if we wants trophies , at least Ole knows how it feels to lift a trophy.

Last edited:

Litch

Higher level?

Shouldnt someone on a higher level be beating Ole and United and Wolves at home and getting 3 points at Watford?

That's why they arent level on points with Liverpool now
Yep higher level imo. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Not a criticism of Ole and there's a emotionally response in wanting him to do well, which he's clearly doing but this job is too big for him to do in long term. How Poch has achieved even getting Spurs competing year in year out without spending any meaningful money makes him the best manager in the league again imo. My only reservation is some managers function better in adversity and I'm unsure if Poch got 500m, could he function better or worse.....

0le

Serious bottler. Argentine Moyes..if we only want to develop youth and compete for top 4 with limited budget ,then he is the man , but if we wants trophies , at least Ole knows how it feels to lift a trophy.
There is a reason that he was (and likely still is) wanted by Madrid. Unlike Moyes he has also had relatively successful spells at three clubs with different ambitions. I'm all for prodding the stick into Spur's fans with the banter, but I think he is considerably better than Moyes.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Yep higher level imo. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Not a criticism of Ole and there's a emotionally response in wanting him to do well, which he's clearly doing but this job is too big for him to do in long term. How Poch has achieved even getting Spurs competing year in year out without spending any meaningful money makes him the best manager in the league again imo. My only reservation is some managers function in adversity and I'm unsure if Poch got 500m, could he function better or worse.....
Given Everton is a smaller club financially than Spurs, did Moyes not achieve as much as Poch? So I have to agree with your last part, we have no more certainty that he will deliver and frankly for £50m I'd rather give Ole a 2 year contract and see what he can do.

Poch to me just doesn't come across as a warm likeable character. He seems a bit introverted. Ole reminds me of SAF, cheeky, smiley, friendly, but I'd trust him to send the tough messages in the right way.

We've seen glimpses of his directness, like there being plenty of time till Tuesday and he doesn't care about Liverpool.

I've been very impressed and not because of the results, albeit some of those were very impressive. I think Ole gets it and his commitment couldn't be questioned. He also has the coolness to handle it, unlike Moyes who shot his load every 2 minutes.

sam147

This "bottler" narrative becomes ridiculous when you ignore all other more pertinent factors in a loss just to twist it into being what you want it to be.

Spurs currently have a heavily depleted squad that even when in full health is relatively weak. That was the prime issue today and is far more relevant to the result than the convenient pre-existing line of attack on Pochettino. Remove Salah, Mane and one of the midfielders from Liverpool's stronger squad and see how they get on. Or Pogba, Rashford and Martial from ours, which is also a stronger squad.

Just because you think something about a side that doesn't mean that everything that happens to them has to back up your argument.
They have bottled a title to Leicester. Bottles countless other chances to win a trophy. Bottled CL games. They even bottled it this season the moment they were in contention for the title they lost. This mentality comes from the manager. He has a world class team. The game against Chelsea is irrelevant to Poch being a bottler as he has proved that throughout his career. And mentioning depleted squads, is it not Pochs fault for running players into the ground during the Christmas period? Maybe he should use subs more often.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Spurs play good stuff but their scattergun approach before the summer in the market have brought in good players. It's a risk as good a manager as he might be because Ole is doing well so far. This is the first time in ages that we have the chance to give a platform to players. Clearly we won't win every game from now till the end but could Pochettino get more out of this group? If he could bring Kane and one or two others with him? That'd be a big pull but it's extremely unlikely baring anyone maybe running out of contract.

If he's so good, there's also the chance other clubs might tempt him so would the future be certain? He's doing great things but until you win trophies all we can go by is what could be and at the minute, I just don't think Potchettino could get more out of this group of players. The bulk of which are young and will probably be here for a good while yet.

Wayne's World

He's been shafted from the Spurs board. Basically tied his hands and said "this is it" with one of Spurs best squads in their history. They had to keep improving and get new blood and quality in but for the board they just wanted to get the stadium finished as soon as they could and believe Poch could continue miracles at the club.

Give that man the United job with resources and he'd turn us into a Premier League challenging side and a team challenging for the Champions League too.

Suedesi

Mauricio Pochettino makes football teams better, he improves players and he demands high-intensity attacking football, but is the Tottenham Hotspur manager a winner?

The great managers -- Sir Alex Ferguson, Pep Guardiola, even Jose Mourinho -- became the best in their profession because they always found the edge, found a different way to win, when the heat was at its most intense. But this was another occasion when Pochettino was unable to take Spurs over the line in a big game, and his team selection was an area where he left himself open to scrutiny and criticism.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/tot...ove-he-can-win-after-another-semifinal-defeat

Agree with this 100%

Suedesi

"We have three more competitions, still. We arrived in a semifinal and lost to Chelsea, one of the best teams in Europe. I can only feel proud of the performance and the way we competed."

Being "proud" of a team that loses a semifinal -- another semifinal -- is not the language of a manager who wins the biggest trophies.

Suedesi

He's been shafted from the Spurs board. Basically tied his hands and said "this is it" with one of Spurs best squads in their history. They had to keep improving and get new blood and quality in but for the board they just wanted to get the stadium finished as soon as they could and believe Poch could continue miracles at the club.

Give that man the United job with resources and he'd turn us into a Premier League challenging side and a team challenging for the Champions League too.
Yes and no. A coach with a winner's DNA wouldn't have signed an extension, or would have negotiated harder with the board for reinforcements. I hate Mourinho, but there's no way he would have not forced concessions from the board - or he would have stropped and gotten fired

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"We have three more competitions, still. We arrived in a semifinal and lost to Chelsea, one of the best teams in Europe. I can only feel proud of the performance and the way we competed."

Being "proud" of a team that loses a semifinal -- another semifinal -- is not the language of a manager who wins the biggest trophies.
Seriously under strength, like a United without Martial, Rashford and Pogba. And they took them to penalties. He's keeping up morale. What's he meant to do? He's likely got the choice of Madrid or United on the horizon and there is no need for him to kick up a fuss.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Yes and no. A coach with a winner's DNA wouldn't have signed an extension, or would have negotiated harder with the board for reinforcements. I hate Mourinho, but there's no way he would have not forced concessions from the board - or he would have stropped and gotten fired
Winner's DNA. Do you guys even here yourselves?

Eddy_JukeZ

I can never warm up to the idea of him being our next manager.

There's nothing to base this on, but I just don't think he's a winner. Yeah I know he hasn't won yet, but even if he moved to a bigger club, I don't think he would.

Just my gut feeling. Obviously would love to be proven wrong if he did come here.

el3mel

People talking about the missing players forget that Spurs entered today with an advantage of 1-0 win from first leg. They just needed to hold on and get at least a draw to pass. Their absent players were all in the attack it's not like they entered this match needing to win. They just needed to hold on.

Denis79

They were missing key players today and without that threat up front I'm sure Chelsea were given more space to play the way they did, pushing up higher without the fear of Alli, Son and Kane punishing them on the break. But this isn't the first time Spurs lose an important lead and I wonder how much of that is because of Poch and how much is caused by a thin squad.

KaushikR

My feeling is that he has overachieved at Spurs. He is good,no doubt, but I do not think he has shown enough yet to be really considered good enough to handle a big club like United. Real Madrid are much more "volatile" in hiring and firing managers whereas we are much more stable (even if we ignore the outliers like Sir Matt and SAF). Poch has been lucky that the best Eng striker in a generation was already part of the team when he took over and has bailed out Spurs time and again.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There's no fight in that guy.

Put saf in his shoes he'll fight tooth and nail with the board for some $ for that final push when they finished 3rd.

Poch is just happily taking the plaudits while playing in a no pressure team where getting top 4 is lauded as job well done. The mentaly gymnastic in this thread is very clear for everyone to see. At one point you have spurs fans saying their team is shit, and half of united fans says they had a world class team while the other half says they have a shit team but a genious manager. We have half the fans knocking Europa league and league cup but another half says poch is a bottler for losing exactly the mickey mouse cup that is the league cup.

Come next year when he fecks off to madrid this place gonna be fun with 2 sets of butthurt fans scrutinizing his every move.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The guy is a good candidate but I am tired with all the fawning of him in the media. All this "he's the right man" talk is so annoying, we don't know that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People talking about the missing players forget that Spurs entered today with an advantage of 1-0 win from first leg. They just needed to hold on and get at least a draw to pass. Their absent players were all in the attack it's not like they entered this match needing to win. They just needed to hold on.
That logic :houllier:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I find it strange that Pochettino treats the chance of winning trophies so lightly. Had Spurs won lots in recent years that would be one thing. They haven't though. So why is your reserve keeper starting?

In fairness Spurs should be in the final. The no away goals rule is BS. Still if you go into a game needing a 0-0 to progress and don't do it questions should be asked.

fd212

Supports
Liverpool
Would you rather him or Klopp (without the biased Liverpool connections)? Just strictly as a manager.

United58

As much as I find the anti-Pochettino posts on this forum hilarious, I can't help but cringe slightly at those who are wildly celebrating his semi-final loss in the League Cup (against one of the best teams in England) with so many injured and potentially a top 4 spot on the line (next league game in a few days).

I'm not necessarily advocating him at all (in fact, I'm terrified of anyone who may or may not bring back the LVG football [look up Poch's first season at Spurs]), but for everyone laughing at Spurs...

It feels like we're laughing as a rival for stumbling in a race, as opposed to falling over at the finish line of anything important (I'm one of those who places most of the value in the Premier League/Champions League and I'm desperate to see how we finish. It'll be fascinating to see how Spurs react to being knocked out of what they were one of the most likely to win... will Poch push for the FA Cup, knowing it's the most likely he has left to win (in a winless career), or will he took to PL/CL plaudits/glory)?

Absolutely fascinating 5/6 months ahead. Squeaky bum time time for the Spurs - given Levy's dealing in each transfer market, no matter who they employ post Poch, they'll seriously recede without him.

In Rainbows

I find it strange that Pochettino treats the chance of winning trophies so lightly. Had Spurs won lots in recent years that would be one thing. They haven't though. So why is your reserve keeper starting?

In fairness Spurs should be in the final. The no away goals rule is BS. Still if you go into a game needing a 0-0 to progress and don't do it questions should be asked.
Reminds me of how he treated the CL a few years ago.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Fear of success. You can't lose if you don't play.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
FFS. He’s clearly a class manager. At some point there’s just not much more you can do. He needs heavy backing in the transfer market.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
FFS. He’s clearly a class manager. At some point there’s just not much more you can do. He needs heavy backing in the transfer market.
I agree but we should be looking at his flaws too though, especially if he is considered for the United job. If he do come here, lets hope it is Spurs mentality we're seeing and not his own. It will never be accepted at United.

There's not much else he could have done last night - he's not my first choice but I wouldn't mind him here

crossy1686

career ending
Serious question, you swap Pochettino out of Tottenham and swap in Silva from Everton, Santo from Wolves or Howe from Bournemouth, would anyone even notice?

He was unlucky last night with injuries and penalties in the end but an elite coach would have found a way to win. The way Spurs folded under the Chelsea pressure in the first half was piss poor.

It's hard to judge him on that game alone but 1 final in 5 seasons is a bit shit for someone who has ambitions to manage a huge club.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Serious question, you swap Pochettino out of Tottenham and swap in Silva from Everton, Santo from Wolves or Howe from Bournemouth, would anyone even notice?

He was unlucky last night with injuries and penalties in the end but an elite coach would have found a way to win. The way Spurs folded under the Chelsea pressure in the first half was piss poor.

It's hard to judge him on that game alone but 1 final in 5 seasons is a bit shit for someone who has ambitions to manage a huge club.
They didn't even have to win. A draw would have done the trick, and if he plays Lloris from the start he probably gets one. It's all good saying X is my cup keeper but it's a semi final where you are defending a lead with your best attackers out. Strange management to weaken yourself further.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I believe he will prove his doubters wrong at his next club. Hopefully it's us.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

Reminds me of how he treated the CL a few years ago.
Fear of success. You can't lose if you don't play.
What on earth are you guys on about? Gazzaniga has played extremely well and was in Pochettinos own words MOTM in the other leg against Chelsea. He put out his strongest team, possibly with the exeption of Lloris, but it is important to keep the squad happy, and just like Gazzaniga was needed earlier in the season when Lloris was injured we need him to play matches. It was hardly his fault we lost. Last season Manchester City went out of the FA cup with Bravo in goal, but I don't see many people criticize him for that. Similarly SAF has had players such as Saha starting in cup finals ahead of Van Niestelroy. It feels like people will jump at anything to justify this 'mentality' thing or claim he doesn't care about the cups, and I bet that had Chelsea lost people wouln't talk about bottling it or a weak mentality. Oh, and when did we ever take the CL lightly? Pochettino has respected the cups just as much as any other manager, and played strong sides more often than not, but as soon as we lose it's always the same 'Poch doesn't care about the cups' or 'weak mentality'.

crossy1686

career ending
I believe he will prove his doubters wrong at his next club. Hopefully it's us.
He's done nothing. If Everton discover another Wayne Rooney in their ranks and Marco Silva gets them into the top 4 everyone will be salivating over him as well. The clamour for a man who has done well under low expectations is astounding in this place. They absolutely bottle everything that involves and expectation to win. That is a very bad trait for a manager of Manchester United

crossy1686

career ending
Doesn't this go against the narrative that he develops youth players? Remember when people said that about Moyes before we signed him? Remember all those quality youth players Moyes bedded into our first team?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's done nothing. If Everton discover another Wayne Rooney in their ranks and Marco Silva gets them into the top 4 everyone will be salivating over him as well. The clamour for a man who has done well under low expectations is astounding in this place. They absolutely bottle everything that involves and expectation to win. That is a very bad trait for a manager of Manchester United
Don't really understand your point as Marco Silva has not discovered another Wayne Rooney and is nowhere near top four so this is all conjecture.
I believe he has done a wonderful job at Spurs and nobody will convince me otherwise. I also believe he will achieve more at a bigger club with bigger resources and has done enough to deserve that opportunity. Your line about Marco Silva means squat.
There's a good reason why two of the biggest clubs want him as their next manager, you can convince yourself that he shouldn't as much as you like.