A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

el3mel

Love the mental gymnastics to try and justify him here again. Every single time.
Think it's out of desperation of not wanting to change their opinion about him being suited to United so they have to keep defending him even though with more and more time passing it proves he's definitely not what we want.

Last edited:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Having Llorente as his second striker is a weakness of the manager more so than a weakness of Spurs.

Kane & Lloirente plays football in similair ways but at different levels. A manager that obidient to a specific type of striker is something I am not too keen on. That shows that he always plays with Tactics A and his Tactics B are never seen.

It's the exact thing that happened with Jose. Lukaku over Rashford every day of the week & he could not adapt his game to a different style of a different type of player. Zlatan, Drogba, Higuain etc.

Consider Guardiola instead - used Messi as a striker, used Zlatan as a striker, used Lewandowski as a striker, used Gabriel jesus & Aguero as a striker - all different types of a player. Same goes with his choices at CM, used Fernandinho, De bryune, Silva, Xavi, iniesta, Busquets, lahm, costa, vidal etc m- many different types of players.

Look at Klopp - Lewandowski as his central striker in one team, firminho in another as a false 9.

I worry about Pochettino because I feel like he has a strong plan A that he will stick with and will not change to plan B.

Bascially, he has the potential to be a nicer, cooler version of Jose mourinho. This is possibly why some fans want him whilst some fans like me remain a bit on the back foot.
Son is our 'second striker' after that it would probably be a combination of Alli and Moura. We had our 4 top scorers out.

Aloysius's Back 3

Son is our 'second striker' after that it would probably be a combination of Alli and Moura. We had our 4 top scorers out.
That's fair - but again espany0l he used dani osvaldo & at Southampton he used lambert. Kane & Llorente added to that list shows a specific type of striker preference. I don't follow spurs - but son being used as your second striker is more because Llorente is rubbish when needed rather than Pochettino tactically preferring son as a your second striker to adapt his front line towards a change of tactics when defences have Kane under control. If Llorente could produce the goals & perform the way that son & Kane does for you - then he would no doubt be your second striker - but he doesn't so sits third behind son.

That's just my opinion & it's fair to say I'm wrong.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
That's fair - but again espany0l he used dani osvaldo & at Southampton he used lambert. Kane & Llorente added to that list shows a specific type of striker preference. I don't follow spurs - but son being used as your second striker is more because Llorente is rubbish when needed rather than Pochettino tactically preferring son as a your second striker to adapt his front line towards a change of tactics when defences have Kane under control. If Llorente could produce the goals & perform the way that son & Kane does for you - then he would no doubt be your second striker - but he doesn't so sits third behind son.

That's just my opinion & it's fair to say I'm wrong.
I'm not sure what he prefers, and you might be right, but when Kane has been out Son has played as a striker with great success, and I fully expected him to start Moura/Alli up front ahead of Llorente. Llorente being subbed off for a front two of Lamela and Moura yesterday indicates that he doesn't really trust Llorente, but if this is the type of player he prefer or not I'm not sure, I mean he did buy him for a reason although it's safe to say its turned out to be a worse purchase than Sissoko.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Do you give the previous managers of Barcelona credit for having Messi? Pochettino has done well to get the best of out Kane, there's no doubting that but having a 30+ goal a season striker helps your cause immensely. They wouldn't be top 4 without him and we wouldn't be talking about Pochettino being the next United manager. That's how fine the margins are here.
That comparison doesn't hold up - everyone knew Messi was a potentially generational talent, and the way Barca brought him to Spain and carefully cultivated his development backs that up. In his case, whoever ended up managing him was going to win the football lottery.

In Kane's case, it was never as clear as that and he was loaned about before really breaking into the Spurs side. Much of his success is down to Poch's faith in him and their reciprocal respect. If you don't think that Poch is a massive reason for Spurs having such a great striker then you're just downplaying his involvement to suit your argument.

crossy1686

career ending
That comparison doesn't hold up - everyone knew Messi was a potentially generational talent, and the way Barca brought him to Spain and carefully cultivated his development backs that up. In his case, whoever ended up managing him was going to win the football lottery.

In Kane's case, it was never as clear as that and he was loaned about before really breaking into the Spurs side. Much of his success is down to Poch's faith in him and their reciprocal respect. If you don't think that Poch is a massive reason for Spurs having such a great striker then you're just downplaying his involvement to suit your argument.
You'll find it was Sherwood who gave Kane his chance after loan spells in the lower leagues and that was only because Levy wouldn't allow him to spend any money.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
To be fair to Pochettino, I believe any other manager even perhaps the great Sir Alex Ferguson would have lost that game if they had the same squad and most of their star players missing. To take Chelsea into extra time was a great accomplishment and even then the quality of the two side showed again. Chelsea seemed like Germans with how they took their penalties, whereas Spurs players looked out of their depth. Spurs board need to understand that Pochettino has gotten their team to become a champion league team not an Europa league team and they should support him as such. I can only imagine what Pochettino can do here at United without such restrictions and player quality limitations.

Most managers would have complained about their squad limitations. Mourinho did that every week after the club backed him with £300m. Pochettino should the class and professionalism of a top manager after that game.

crossy1686

career ending
Do you give Sir Alex credit for having Giggs, Scholes and Beckham come through together?
Well he had the foresight to see they would be good enough to make first team players but they were recuited before he came to the club. Fergie was probably the luckiest man alive to have that group of players come through the academy at one time, he deserves the credit for taking the risk on them as does Pep at Barca for the team he got. But let’s not pretend it was some fecking grand plan of fergie stalking these kids since they were able to walk and knowing they’d be the players they ended up being.

Also, Pochettino didn’t give Kane his debut, Sherwood did because Levy didn’t trust him in the transfer market.

Aloysius's Back 3

To be fair to Pochettino, I believe any other manager even perhaps the great Sir Alex Ferguson would have lost that game if they had the same squad and most of their star players missing. To take Chelsea into extra time was a great accomplishment and even then the quality of the two side showed again. Chelsea seemed like Germans with how they took their penalties, whereas Spurs players looked out of their depth. Spurs board need to understand that Pochettino has gotten their team to become a champion league team not an Europa league team and they should support him as such. I can only imagine what Pochettino can do here at United without such restrictions and player quality limitations.

Most managers would have complained about their squad limitations. Mourinho did that every week after the club backed him with £300m. Pochettino should the class and professionalism of a top manager after that game.
I don't think it's being fair at all. I have no problems with pochettin0 or his supporters but it's not exactly like Chelsea is at the top of their game is it?

As others have said - Pochettino has been building this team for 4 years.
Yet he got beaten by ole after being at the club for 2 months with generally young players as the main point of the team.

He got beaten by sarri while chelsea are having a rubbish season wihh the likes of hazard playing as their striker, morata falling, kante looking a shadow of what he was a season before & their defense is arguably the worst Chelsea has had for a decade in my opinion.

Whilst it's just one game - Pochettino is not improving to the point where we can safely say that he is able to make the next step up at United are we?

If we can then what is it that makes you think this?

crossy1686

career ending
Think it's out of disperation if not wanting to change their opinion about him being suited to United so they have to keep defending him even though with more and more time passing it proves he's definitely not what we want.
Agreed. Most people in here have been passive Tottenham watchers but since Mounrinho got sacked there’s been more focus on him. I’m not convinced by what I see and I’m almost certain he’ll flop at United.

billybee99

My previous point was that Tottenham have a 30+ goal a season striker in Kane and if Everton has something similar in their ranks the fortunes would be reversed. Both are attacking managers who play a brand of football that's pleasing on the eye but both have won nothing. Everton have bought poorly in previous seasons and need a defensive overhaul as well.
They had lukaku banging in goals and how did that go?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry but I don't see how being a 'gracious loser' makes Poch a candidate for the United job. What an odd tweet.

I think he's proven himself to be a top football manager given what he has achieved with Spurs - transforming them from a top 6-7 club to that of a genuine top 4 club - and the limited resources he's had to achieve that with.

But I don't think he is prepared to leave Spurs this summer. Which is fine by me personally because I think Ole has done enough to earn the job full-time.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sorry but I don't see how being a 'gracious loser' makes Poch a candidate for the United job. What an odd tweet.

I think he's proven himself to be a top football manager given what he has achieved with Spurs - transforming them from a top 6-7 club to that of a genuine top 4 club - and the limited resources he's had to achieve that with.

But I don't think he is prepared to leave Spurs this summer. Which is fine by me personally because I think Ole has done enough to earn the job full-time.
They had finished 4, 5, 4, 5, 6 in the five years before Pochettino arrived, for an average of 4.8 finish (essentially fifth in average). Since his arrival, they have finished 5, 3, 2, 3 for an average of 3.25 finish. They have actually improved for 1.5 positions which is quite good, however, they were already a club that was reaching or challenging for a UCL place. They weren't Everton before his arrival.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
You'll find it was Sherwood who gave Kane his chance after loan spells in the lower leagues and that was only because Levy wouldn't allow him to spend any money.
So Tim Sherwood is responsible for Harry Kane being the player he is and Pochettino is just the lucky beneficiary?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They had finished 4, 5, 4, 5, 6 in the five years before Pochettino arrived, for an average of 4.8 finish (essentially fifth in average). Since his arrival, they have finished 5, 3, 2, 3 for an average of 3.25 finish. They have actually improved for 1.5 positions which is quite good, however, they were already a club that was reaching or challenging for a UCL place. They weren't Everton before his arrival.
Okay, my numbers were off.

However, the fact remains, Spurs were not a genuine top-4 club before Poch took the reigns. That they clearly are now (and don't look to be going anywhere soon) is a significant achievement in itself given how difficult it is to break into the top 4 elite. Especially when you consider the extremely limited resources at his diposal.

In any case, I don't think he will leave this summer but the given the unpredictability of football in general, who the hell knows.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Looking at average positions is ludicrous, it's almost always done by someone looking for an angle. Finishing in the top 4 is meaningless from a manager's perspective, it only matters to the money men.

Chelsea under Conte had an average position of 3rd yet not one Spurs fan would say that Spurs have had better performance in those two years where they had an average position of 2.5.

The only competition Spurs had a high chance of winning was the league cup in 2015. They have not spent one single game week in 1st place in 5 years, they have not gone past the final 16 of any European competition. Pochettino has taken a team that didn't challenge for honours and turned them into a team that look good while not challenging for honours. Yes it's progress but hardly the miracle worker he's made out to be.

Shez

VDS
Smalling Brown Vidic Evra
Rafael Gibson O'shea fabio
Rooney hernandez

United 2 - 0 arsenal. Behave

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I don't think it's being fair at all. I have no problems with pochettin0 or his supporters but it's not exactly like Chelsea is at the top of their game is it?
Consistency a big problem with the Chelsea team this season. They are still fourth in the table and when motivated, they are difficult to beat. These are the types of games that you see Chelsea up their game and they did that.

As others have said - Pochettino has been building this team for 4 years.
Yet he got beaten by ole after being at the club for 2 months with generally young players as the main point of the team.
Pochettino was only beating if you look at only the scoreline. United was outplayed in the second half and if it was not for De Gea and poor finishing by Spurs, the result will be different. After that game, Pochettino qualification for the job only increased because no other team has put on such a dominate display against another top club that is in form this season.

He got beaten by sarri while chelsea are having a rubbish season wihh the likes of hazard playing as their striker, morata falling, kante looking a shadow of what he was a season before & their defense is arguably the worst Chelsea has had for a decade in my opinion.
Already answered this above. And to say they are having a rubbish season is laughable. They were one of the few teams unbeaten early on in this season and they are still in the fight for a champion league play. Plus now they are in the final of carabao cup.

Whilst it's just one game - Pochettino is not improving to the point where we can safely say that he is able to make the next step up at United are we?

If we can then what is it that makes you think this?
Pochettino has showed constant improvement season he has taken over at Spurs and has transformed the mentally of their players to that of title contenders and a champion league team. A feat unimaginable before he took over. He has showed he has amazing man management ability, tactical acumen and getting the best out of average players. Out of all the managers out there, Pochettino is the most similar to that of Sir Alex Ferguson in his managerial approach with a more modern take of his philosophy.

VDS
Rooney hernandez

Arsenal back then had a mentality that was as thin as paper. We could put out our under16 and we would have still beaten them. Quality of opposition are different and Arsenal back then was United whipping boy

breakout67

Supports
Man City
VDS
Rooney hernandez

SAF could put out a bunch of farmers and challenge for the league. That's the thing with this Poch love in. Some are convinced he's going to build a legacy at United despite mountains of evidence suggesting otherwise. The vast majority of those wanting to go 'all out' for him are completely clouded by their emotions and nostalgia.

crossy1686

career ending
So Tim Sherwood is responsible for Harry Kane being the player he is and Pochettino is just the lucky beneficiary?
I'd love for you to outline where I said that.

Sherwood gave Kane his chance because he had no other option, before that Kane was a lower league striker and bang average. Pochettino built on the Kane's breakthrough season and helped make him one of the best strikers in the PL. Pochettino's team is built around Kane.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Looking at average positions is ludicrous, it's almost always done by someone looking for an angle. Finishing in the top 4 is meaningless from a manager's perspective, it only matters to the money men.

Chelsea under Conte had an average position of 3rd yet not one Spurs fan would say that Spurs have had better performance in those two years where they had an average position of 2.5.

The only competition Spurs had a high chance of winning was the league cup in 2015. They have not spent one single game week in 1st place in 5 years, they have not gone past the final 16 of any European competition. Pochettino has taken a team that didn't challenge for honours and turned them into a team that look good while not challenging for honours. Yes it's progress but hardly the miracle worker he's made out to be.
No, he isn't a miracle worker, but the progress he has made with Spurs should not be understated given the circumstances - breaking into the top four elite is a monumental task in itself, but to do so with such limited resources is frankly incredible. That's just my opinion, though.

Granted, until he wins something with Spurs (yet another missed opportunity last night) there will always be a lingering doubt. That fact cannot be taken lightly no matter how you slice it. I also feel he cannot take Spurs any further without considerable transfer investment.

RedDevil@84

Pochettino can make us play good football (which we are already playing and striving to do), but beyond that I think is anyone's guess. Not winning a single cup doesn't speak much highly about him, though he could be excused yesterday for not having his best players.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No, he isn't a miracle worker, but the progress he has made with Spurs should not be understated given the circumstances - breaking into the top four elite is a monumental task in itself, but to do so with such limited resources is frankly incredible. That's just my opinion, though.

Granted, until he wins something with Spurs (yet another missed opportunity last night) there will always be a lingering doubt. That fact cannot be taken lightly no matter how you slice it. I also feel he cannot take Spurs any further without considerable transfer investment.
Chelsea go from average to champions on a whim. Spurs being consistently in the top 4 has to do with continuity/goal setting just as much as it does the manager. When you take risks you are bound to have higher costs, that's why successful clubs have peaks and troughs during their history. Being consistently in the top 4 is not an achievement, it's completely made up by fans. 95% of players and managers view winning trophies as the goal. Chelsea last season had a better season than Spurs have had at any point under Poch and they finished 5th.

Pochettino specifically aims for the top 4, he is not taking the risk of trying to win on all 4 fronts. He has basically binned as many cup competitions as possible just to get top 4. So no I don't think it is an incredible achievement, it is simply a reflection of where Spurs are as a club and the way Pochettino values each competition. This can be seen clearly in basically every season, Spurs perform better in the league than teams that win cups, that is not a reflection of the squad it is a reflection of the management. Pochettino chose to focus on the league and underperformed in the cups.

SAFMUTD

That is my biggest concern for him, he never seems to really deliver. Yes Spurs play great football, but they keep missing that special thing that makes them win titles, sure he seems the best "available" choice but I'm not really convinced by him, he is in some way like Klopp. He is close to winning but hasn't really done it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Doesn't this go against the narrative that he develops youth players? Remember when people said that about Moyes before we signed him? Remember all those quality youth players Moyes bedded into our first team?
I feel like I’m going mental. He’s clearly developing youth players. He can’t compete with three clubs who have spent half a billion quid on players in the last three years while working on a shoestring though.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That is my biggest concern for him, he never seems to really deliver. Yes Spurs play great football, but they keep missing that special thing that makes them win titles, sure he seems the best "available" choice but I'm not really convinced by him, he is in some way like Klopp. He is close to winning but hasn't really done it.
The special thing in this case being more money and wages than everyone else?

Champagne Football

You can compare Pochettinos situation to Unai Emery at Arsenal. Both are doing very impressive jobs in England. Both will never win anything in England due to the financial reality that there are 4 bigger clubs vastly out - spending them.
The difference is that Emery has won a shelf full of trophies at Seville and PSG that Pochettino could win in his sleep with similar resources at weaker leagues.
Yet Emery will somehow be labelled a winner while Pochettino will continue to get flack even though Pochettino is the better of the 2 managers.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You can compare Pochettinos situation to Unai Emery at Arsenal. Both are doing very impressive jobs in England. Both will never win anything in England due to the financial reality that there are 4 bigger clubs vastly out - spending them.
The difference is that Emery has won a shelf full of trophies at Seville and PSG that Pochettino could win in his sleep with similar resources at weaker leagues.
Yet Emery will somehow be labelled a winner while Pochettino will continue to get flack even though Pochettino is the better of the 2 managers.
:lol::lol::lol:

Emery won 3 Europa leagues on the bounce with a net spend of -93m euros. La Liga was also a stronger league at the time (unless you are one of those delusional ones that thinks the PL is the best ever despite flopping in Europe for a decade). What Emery did with Sevilla is far superior to anything Pochettino has accomplished, he is a better manager than him period.

Mcking

Please elaborate