A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

SAFMUTD

The special thing in this case being more money and wages than everyone else?
Sure that should help, but he has a great team currently. Obviously great merit to him since most of him players where made under him and not bought. But with the talent they had they should had won something by now, but they always seem to fail at the last mile, either in UCL, EPL or Cups.

Aloysius's Back 3

What's with this overrating pochettin0's ability to get spurs to a top 4?

It's not like Spurs were some random team out of the blue from the championship - they were always a big team around the peripheries of the top 4-7. They were always a hard team to go and visit.

Even if he did do well to turn spurs in to a champions league club - during his period of the last 4 years : Liverpool were rubbish pre Klopp, United were rubbish post SAF, Chelsea are inconsistent as a top club who changes managers every year & a half, arsenal are not even a fragment of their former selves, hell even Everton are not the club they were at one stage under Moyes. Add the fact that Leicester won the title too - let's not pretend that it was purely his hard work that got spurs up to top 4; it was the poor management of the bigger clubs that gave him the space to creep in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let’s put it this way. He’s not top class manager, the guy has won nothing. Achieving top 4 with limited budget isn’t what you call top class manager. And just because he never spend big doesn’t mean he is proven to know how to spend the money and win trophy. But he’s talented manager who can become world class manager. He has to be credit of the way how he managed his players as well especially Alli and Kane, they both are well developed right now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Do you give Sir Alex credit for having Giggs, Scholes and Beckham come through together?
With all due respect to the great man, class of 92 was too good not to be noticed you can put any average joe on the helm and they'll still make their breakthrough, probably takes abit longer at most.

Class of 92 oozes class all the way even on their debut.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Let’s put it this way. He’s not top class manager, the guy has won nothing. Achieving top 4 with limited budget isn’t what you call top class manager. And just because he never spend big doesn’t mean he is proven to know how to spend the money and win trophy. But he’s talented manager who can become world class manager. He has to be credit of the way how he managed his players as well especially Alli and Kane, they both are well developed right now.
On paper I'd put spurs as 4th best behind liverpool chelsea and city. Let's assume we're worse than them regardless of how many millions we spent stupidly.

Where does he took them? At the moment 3rd with chelsea only a few pts behind.

So basically he's punching just about his weight. People made it as if he's actually beating city chelsea and liverpool with a shoestring budget. His team hasn't beaten anyone they're not supposed to beat over the course or 5 years.

Aloysius's Back 3

:lol::lol::lol:

Emery won 3 Europa leagues on the bounce with a net spend of -93m euros. La Liga was also a stronger league at the time (unless you are one of those delusional ones that thinks the PL is the best ever despite flopping in Europe for a decade). What Emery did with Sevilla is far superior to anything Pochettino has accomplished, he is a better manager than him period.
It's so funny isn't it :lol:

I'm not even a fan of Jose but the guy just came in & won the Europa league in his first season with a squad that hardly resembles what he wants in a team. Spurs are one of the best teams in the Europa league consistently & hardly compete at the last stages never mind not winning the thing.

If he had maybe won the europa league then I'd be more open to him making the next step up - but right now it's all just pure made up stuff & guess work.

Kostur

海尔的老板
You can compare Pochettinos situation to Unai Emery at Arsenal. Both are doing very impressive jobs in England. Both will never win anything in England due to the financial reality that there are 4 bigger clubs vastly out - spending them.
The difference is that Emery has won a shelf full of trophies at Seville and PSG that Pochettino could win in his sleep with similar resources at weaker leagues.
Yet Emery will somehow be labelled a winner while Pochettino will continue to get flack even though Pochettino is the better of the 2 managers.
What were the resources he's had at Sevilla to win the Europa League three times on a bounce again?

hn4manunited

IMHO, Poch is indeed a good manager who has done very well. However, I’m not in the camp that praises him for doing a great job on a shoestring budget. If you add up what the squad is worth (market value), he has just as good a squad as anyone in the top 6-7 teams. Just because he didn’t have to buy these talents doesn’t mean that they are not worth a certain amount in market value. So, if you’re being truly objective, you would look at his total talent value at his disposal compared to other teams in similar positions. You can argue that he made them better but still, if there’s a total talent value’s worth similar to surrounding teams, he really isn’t doing an extraordinary job.

Champagne Football

:lol::lol::lol:

Emery won 3 Europa leagues on the bounce with a net spend of -93m euros. La Liga was also a stronger league at the time (unless you are one of those delusional ones that thinks the PL is the best ever despite flopping in Europe for a decade). What Emery did with Sevilla is far superior to anything Pochettino has accomplished, he is a better manager than him period.
Juande Ramos won 2 Europa Leagues in a row with Seville 15 years ago. Does that make him a better manager than Klopp and Pochettino? Queque Sanchez Flores and Villas Boas have won the Europa League in the past 10 years. Does that prove they are better managers than Klopp, Sarri and Pochettino?

RedDevil@84

It's so funny isn't it :lol:

I'm not even a fan of Jose but the guy just came in & won the Europa league in his first season with a squad that hardly resembles what he wants in a team. Spurs are one of the best teams in the Europa league consistently & hardly compete at the last stages never mind not winning the thing.

If he had maybe won the europa league then I'd be more open to him making the next step up - but right now it's all just pure made up stuff & guess work.
Wait for the usual "Look at the teams you played in Europa" argument

Champagne Football

What were the resources he's had at Sevilla to win the Europa League three times on a bounce again?
Same as what Juande Ramos had when he won 2 Europa Leagues in a row with Seville 15 years ago and he turned out to be a monster success in the Premier league and beyond after Seville didn't he?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Same as what Juande Ramos had when he won 2 Europa Leagues in a row with Seville 15 years ago and he turned out to be a monster success in the Premier league and beyond after Seville didn't he?
And how is Juande Ramos relevant to the discussion about Pochettino and Emery? You're asking why one is considered a winner and the other is getting battered for not winning shit, I mean, it's pretty easy isn't it?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Juande Ramos won 2 Europa Leagues in a row with Seville 15 years ago. Does that make him a better manager than Klopp and Pochettino? Queque Sanchez Flores and Villas Boas have won the Europa League in the past 10 years. Does that prove they are better managers than Klopp, Sarri and Pochettino?
Pochettino in the same bracket as Klopp, and bringing up a manager from 15 years ago. And people wonder why he gets so much backlash in this thread.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'd love for you to outline where I said that.

Sherwood gave Kane his chance because he had no other option, before that Kane was a lower league striker and bang average. Pochettino built on the Kane's breakthrough season and helped make him one of the best strikers in the PL. Pochettino's team is built around Kane.
So Pochettino is lucky to have Kane but is also partly/ largely responsible for him becoming a top striker? Can you see how those 2 perspectives seem to contradict each other?

RedDevil@84

So Pochettino is lucky to have Kane but is also partly/ largely responsible for him becoming a top striker? Can you see how those 2 perspectives seem to contradict each other?
Technically, there is no contradiction. Poch helping Kane to become a top striker was because he got lucky to find someone like Kane who had the talent to become a top striker.
In other words, Poch can't make everyone a top striker.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Technically, there is no contradiction. Poch helping Kane to become a top striker was because he got lucky to find someone like Kane who had the talent to become a top striker.
In other words, Poch can't make everyone a top striker.
And Kane could've found a Jose, some cnut criticising him publicly or just selling him to Millwall. Not all managers can polish a diamond.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Utd will probably baulk at the compensation for Pochettino and stick with OGS, could be for best in every aspect because Pochettino you suspect has hit is ceiling at Spurs where with that team he should actually be going toe to toe with the top 2 and getting to cup finals!
Spurs and Poch will always find a way to bottle the most important games, which will prevent them from winning trophies.
He got dumped out of a competition a few days ago and when given the chance, I expect him to get dumped out of the FA Cup.
Poch really does need to win a trophy, otherwise in a couple of seasons, he will be an also ran and we will look back perplexed, as to why anybody thought he should be managing a big club.

OldSchoolManc

What is this ePoch?
The beginning of something good,
Or another false dawn?
Be wary of what you wish for,
Does it just LOOK like it’s a greener lawn?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
On paper I'd put spurs as 4th best behind liverpool chelsea and city. Let's assume we're worse than them regardless of how many millions we spent stupidly.

Where does he took them? At the moment 3rd with chelsea only a few pts behind.

So basically he's punching just about his weight. People made it as if he's actually beating city chelsea and liverpool with a shoestring budget. His team hasn't beaten anyone they're not supposed to beat over the course or 5 years.
Id go with this for squad, for first team id have them on par with Liverpool above Chelsea.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
I don't think that's the case at all
I get what you mean.

What I meant to post was; I think Spurs fans will lose their support for Poch with every passing season he doesn't win silverware.

I really believe a couple more seasons of mediocre transfers and no silverware will end Poch's shelf life at Spurs.

The only thing going for Spurs is that Arsenal have fell off a cliff.

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
My local club Rangers had a similar manager available, when we were hiring a manager, who knew our league and got decent results with a small budget.

But we ignored him and went out and got a top calibre guy, Steven Gerrard. And are better for it. It's almost the same with Ole and Poch.

Why settle for a fourth place manager? Just because he has a small budget?

Why assume he will suddenly work miracles with Man Utd bigger budget instead of doing a Moyes when he's unproven in the market.

We are not Arsenal. We want the best. Just like Ole's form is right now.

Face it, world class players would rather play for Ole than Poch.

Why risk ruining all the recovery Ole has created, to hire a guy who took 4 years to get Spurs to have a good half of attacking football against another big team.

The only thing going for Poch is that Spurs have a tiny budget due to Lord Sugar and Claude Littner setting Spurs up well as a business. And that Arsenal have fell off a cliff.

Which club looks at a manager whose saving grace is performing on a tiny budget? Arsenal? Or Everton? As I said we're bigger than Spurs and Arsenal

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I get what you mean.

What I meant to post was; I think Spurs fans will lose their support for Poch with every passing season he doesn't win silverware.

I really believe a couple more seasons of mediocre transfers and no silverware will end Poch's shelf life at Spurs.

The only thing going for Spurs is that Arsenal have fell off a cliff.
That does depend on the situation. Right now I don't know any manager who could do a better job than what Poch has done and continue to do, is he perfect? No, but realistically he is doing as well as we could wish for, and people criticising him is doing so from goalposts that are far removed from whats fair.

We are playing without a proper home, no transfers, and for a long time we have had a very low spend compared to all top 6 clubs. Why are we compared to the top 6 instead of being compared with Everton, West Ham, Leicester and Palace? Our spending is much closer to those teams. It's because we have bought smartly and we are well coached and therefore get results that have seen us close to the top of the table. Of course this is not all down to Pochettino, but he has exceeded realistic expectations every step of the way. To all those claiming he should have won something, well I personally also feel he should have gotten through at least one of the semi-finals and perhaps lifted a trophy, but that's a testament to the job he is doing with the squad. And sometimes luck do play a part such as now when we were without 3 of our best attackers.

My point is that we can't be stupid and ask for the unreasonable. Next season we will be back in a proper home ground, and if he is backed in the transfer market then we can start expecting him to win things. Right now we are very thin in a few key positions such as fullbacks and midfield. If he was backed like Klopp, Mourinho or Guardiola was then he should be expected to challenge for the title, but he is not even backed like any of the other top 6 managers, it's not even close.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

'Football heritage' :wenger:

Don't go full Mourinho. You should never go full Mourinho.

Cloud7

An almost "errrritaajjje" moment for Pochettino

This isn’t a good look for Poch at all. I really like him, and up until the last couple games he’s been my undoubted first choice for permanent United manager, but coming out with this kind of stuff, it just raises red flags for me.

It was inexcusable when Jose did it, and it’s the same here with Poch coming out with this kind of stuff. Take the blame on yourself, deflect it on the pitch or the referees or your opponent playing defensive, something, but don’t go insulting your own club to try and take the heat off yourself.

Skills

Snitch

'Football heritage' :wenger:

Don't go full Mourinho. You should never go full Mourinho.
Might just be beginning to angle his way out now.

I'm suspecting Madrid or United have told him if he wants to join them in the summer, he'll need to make his intention clear to spurs.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This isn’t a good look for Poch at all. I really like him, and up until the last couple games he’s been my undoubted first choice for permanent United manager, but coming out with this kind of stuff, it just raises red flags for me.

It was inexcusable when Jose did it, and it’s the same here with Poch coming out with this kind of stuff. Take the blame on yourself, deflect it on the pitch or the referees or your opponent playing defensive, something, but don’t go insulting your own club to try and take the heat off yourself.
This is why I keep saying I don't want him. The media still kisses his ass, yet whenever he gets questioned, however gently, he gets defensive. This says to me that he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure and glare at United. It's very important to also look at the mentality of a person and not only how well he coaches the team. I just don't think he would handle all of this very well.

Plus he's not a winner in my eyes - yes he can prove me wrong - but I feel he lacks steel.
He's at the right club in my opinion. Let's leave him there and save £50M imho.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

I'm suspecting Madrid or United have told him if he wants to join them in the summer, he'll need to make his intention clear to spurs.
Hopefully it's Madrid.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest

Or he’s simply frustrated at losing Kane and Alli due to the lack of options with which to rotate, and can see he’s probably done all he can at Spurs so needs to move up to the top table before his career stagnates.

Said in another thread, I rate him highly but I don't think he has it in him to push a team over that last bit required to win. Plenty of managers can have a club of our stature and resources hovering around the “almost there“ stage but we need someone with the force of personality to get us beyond that. Man management is more important than tactical knowledge for us and I don't quite see it in Pochettino.

Judas

Open to offers
There's just something about him that I can't warm to, he seems a pretty dull bloke with plenty of excuses. Maybe I'd feel differently if he managed us, but its not like he's in charge of one of our bitter rivals, I've no real reason to not like him, but I just can't put my finger on what it is, he's just blah?

Doesn't help he still hasn't won a trophy and I'm worried he's not all that tactically either.

Tarrou

I thought he was the best choice when Jose was sacked but I've completely changed my mind and prefer Ole now. Nothing Poch has done has changed my opinion on him since, he's a good manager and deserves a shot at a bigger club to prove himself, or indeed having a bigger budget with Spurs and get a chance to prove himself that way.