A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When you read the article you see his point, it's not a dig at the club or its history but about the expectation that people have despite the context. Basically, Tottenham aren't a club that was fighting for silverware, it's not part of their recent history and during his reign they have gone from competing for CL qualification to being settled in the top 4 and expected to win now. He thinks that between the fact that the club focused his finances on the clubs infrastructure and the stadium instabilities, they are not yet at a stable point where winning is an obvious conclusion.

I think that he has a point if we are talking about Tottenham becoming a perennial winner but he doesn't have a point when it comes to the odd cup. He should have won something with this team, they are good enough to win a League or FA cup.

JohnnyKills

My local club Rangers had a similar manager available, when we were hiring a manager, who knew our league and got decent results with a small budget.

But we ignored him and went out and got a top calibre guy, Steven Gerrard. And are better for it. It's almost the same with Ole and Poch.

Why settle for a fourth place manager? Just because he has a small budget?

Why assume he will suddenly work miracles with Man Utd bigger budget instead of doing a Moyes when he's unproven in the market.

We are not Arsenal. We want the best. Just like Ole's form is right now.

Face it, world class players would rather play for Ole than Poch.

Why risk ruining all the recovery Ole has created, to hire a guy who took 4 years to get Spurs to have a good half of attacking football against another big team.

The only thing going for Poch is that Spurs have a tiny budget due to Lord Sugar and Claude Littner setting Spurs up well as a business. And that Arsenal have fell off a cliff.

Which club looks at a manager whose saving grace is performing on a tiny budget? Arsenal? Or Everton? As I said we're bigger than Spurs and Arsenal
Based on what?

SAFMUTD

'Football heritage' :wenger:

Don't go full Mourinho. You should never go full Mourinho.

Total turn off for me, shows zero winning mentality. I don’t know what managers expect when they say shit like this, the past doesn’t justify the present and they break the fans and players spirit.

I don’t want him anywhere close my club, let’s stick with OGS he is proud to be at the club and gets the mentality.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The comment about the stadium was also a bit too Jose-esque for me. Still not really convinced by him

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Poch is very negative in the press. He constantly talks down on the cups to try to big up the PL and CL. Maybe he thinks it shows ambition but it's the opposite, it shows he's not a born winner.

ChaddyP

An almost "errrritaajjje" moment for Pochettino

Shocking quote. Even Jose would cringe at that. I would be livid if I was a spurs fan. Don't care how good he is I wouldn't want him here if that's the kind of shit he spews

Charlie Roberts

I’m a big fan of the way his teams play football, but I have do have this nagging doubt at the back of my mind that maybe Tottenham is his level and that he might not have extra something you need to be an elite manager who wins leagues and champions leagues. I don’t think we’re ever going to know this until he gets a bigger job though.

crossy1686

career ending
Very Jose-esque comment from Pochettino. I don't think he's handling the increased scrutiny that's come with us being manager-less very well at all. Just shows that he's the master of performing well when there's no expectations.

crossy1686

career ending
Shocking quote. Even Jose would cringe at that. I would be livid if I was a spurs fan. Don't care how good he is I wouldn't want him here if that's the kind of shit he spews
Does he fecking realise they haven't won anything because he's the manager? If he had any decent game management they'd have won a cup before now.

C'est Moi Cantona

People are getting a bit harsh here, they are in a bad place injury wise, and it seems Levy won't spend to help him, I'd be getting bit tetchy too, nothing like the same thing Jose did after been backed so well at United, he deserves better imo.

If Poch is up for the United job, and will force the move, then for me it will still be very hard not to give it to him.

Judas

Open to offers
I think the press would eat him alive here, look how prickly he's got when he's only managing Spurs. A few bad results with us, the vultures would be circling and he'd be coming out with shite like those quotes. All a bit too familiar to the sort of stuff we're trying to distance ourselves from.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
These comments just show his continuing annoyance at his situation at Spurs

They are a little Jose like though and not you want to hear as a fan if he's your manager

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
There's no doubt he's a good manager who wants his teams to play attractive football. However, he hasn't done enough yet to say he's anything more than just a good manager. But then again, maybe that's more down to the mentality of Spurs FC than Poch lacking that bit extra as a manager?
Even when Chelsea teams aren't that great, they still get to finals and win Cups. Spurs don't do that, so what's stopping them?

staniswin

Anyone who wants him to be here should just become a spurs fans instead , it will make everything easier for them to support him. Pep has Barca DNA , Zidane has Madrid DNA , Ole has United DNA , what Poch has ? David Moyes DNA , able to work with limited budget and fall on his arse under pressure. Attacking football without winning is meaningless , your kids isn't gonna talk about it ,they will only talk about trophies their favourite club has won. At least Jose Mourinho was a serial winner who has won everything in this game , this guy is a serial bottler, many of our players has won more than him.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This thread nailed on to become lively tonight. And rightly so. Injuries aside, this is Spurs story with him in the cups. Palace is hardly a place where you can't get a draw.

You won't win the league, so not prioritizing the cups all these years is strange to say the least.

Last edited:

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Booo, do not want! Wants only big trophies. That is why he will never win anything. He can stay there at their new stadium, and have fun and easy life for not winning trophies

bondsname

A bit of a loser mentality this Poch.
Poch reminds me a bit of Jose, not in the style he plays football, but how one half Spurs is utter shite and the next one they play a lot better. The difference is Jose managed to turn it around and win/draw, Poch's team just start playing a lot better but still end up losing. They lost against United in the first half, Chelsea in the first half, and now Palace aswell.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He threw the tie away by not starting with Winks, Rose, Aurier or Lamela. I don't know why Alderweireld or Erikson weren't in the squad either.

He lost the game before it was played. That, is squarely on him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'A hilarious look at Mauricio Pochettino'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole must be loving this weekend.

Why the hell would you make so many changes when you're already depleted, and facing a tricky game?
Absolutely bonkers.

Sauldogba

The blames 100 percent on Levy and the board as far as im concerned.
This is what you get when your team is run by tight asses

Trophy Room

People are getting a bit harsh here, they are in a bad place injury wise, and it seems Levy won't spend to help him, I'd be getting bit tetchy too, nothing like the same thing Jose did after been backed so well at United, he deserves better imo.

If Poch is up for the United job, and will force the move, then for me it will still be very hard not to give it to him.
The greatest managers in the world find a way of winning trophies mate. Dont deny he's done a fantastic job at Spurs but I've consistently maintained that I don't think he is for us.

Chip Butty

Supports
That lot
On that performance, spurs looked like a team with no belief. For me, thats more manager and personal pride based, than a lack of investment.

Reactions: Fortitude

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
People are far too quick to forget about how well he did at Southampton bringing through youngsters and how well he’s done at spurs with a net spend that’s lower than the likes of Bournemouth ffs. The team he was able to field today was shocking, guess why? Spurs have no squad depth thanks to their lack of investment. He’s still the best gettable candidate for the United job, some on here have a very short memory span it seems.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This thread nailed on to become lively tonight. And rightly so. Injuries aside, this is Spurs story with him in the cups. Palace is hardly a place where you can't get a draw.

You won't win the league, so not prioritizing the cups all these years is strange to say the least.
It's really not strange at all. In the grand scheme of things, these cups barely mean anything. It's far more important for Spurs to secure CL football year in year out.

I genuinely don't understand why this isn't more understood. CL football is more profitable and desirable than both the FA Cup & League Cup.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
The greatest managers in the world find a way of winning trophies mate. Dont deny he's done a fantastic job at Spurs but I've consistently maintained that I don't think he is for us.
Not when there’s 3 teams in the same league that’s spent half a billion quid in the last few years. It’s ridiculous to expect him to win trophies when he’s up against teams that have wage bills twice his and have spent money on transfers that he has never even dreamt of being able to.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It's really not strange at all. In the grand scheme of things, these cups barely mean anything. It's far more important for Spurs to secure CL football year in year out.

I genuinely don't understand why this isn't more understood. CL football is more profitable and desirable than both the FA Cup & League Cup.
You get winning mentality. It is important, especially for the club who had last trophy 10 years ago.