A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

R77

He'd improve us in some aspects, but I predict (if it happens) that within a season of not crushing all before us, half this forum will be throwing it's toys out the pram and dredging up the "trophies aren't important" quote.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He had taken that group of players as far as he could and the squad needed a major refresh - I think some of the players had become a little stale and tensions had started to appear in the dressing room - The loss of the Champions League final had a dramatic impact on Poch and the players and unfortunately he was unable to recover from it. Part of that is down to his personality - he is incredibly passionate and that was such a huge blow that it took him a long time (far too long) to get over it and that impacted on the team and he wasn't able to bring it back. I felt it was right to have a change and I think that the changes Jose has made to the squad have shown how the squad needed shaken up. Poch could have done that but he is not as pragmatic as Jose. What I mean by that is that Poch will identify a small group of players that he feels would improve the side and if the club cant get them he will not accept anybody who he didn't want - this was part of the reason that we didn't sign players over 2 windows. Jose hasn't been like that, he is more flexible and we have had a wonderful transfer window as a result.

Poch in a club like Utd with unlimited (almost) resources should be able to actually sign those players he wants so it could work out very well. IF he is backed.
The only problem being Ole and Jose think and thought they have unlimited resources. Although we have made some good signings, Woody often fails to bring the one player the coach wants.
Having said that, Poch would appear to have the personality that Ole lacks;he wouldn’t tolerate the casual attitude of Pogba for example

Cloud7

Initially I dismissed Brendan as soon as someone suggested him (probably the past Liverpool links clouding my judgement!), but the more I think of it, the more I tend to agree with this shout.
While I do want Poch as our next manager, I will say that Rodgers is an excellent manager. He's visibly grown and refined himself from when he was Liverpool manager, when he was already pretty good, albeit with some very obvious flaws. He deserves another go at a top club in the coming years. I wouldn't be averse to him being our manager at some point, even with his Liverpool past.

Giggsy13

Looking at Poch is lack of ambition. Not worth sacking Ole for slight improvement. If we sack Ole, it has to be for Thomas Tuchel or Nagelsman.
What a ridiculous statement. In Poch’s best year his Spurs team reached 86 points. Does anyone think Ole can lead United to that points tally let alone 80 points?

Poch took young and raw talents in Kane and Alli to another level. He was never fully backed at Spurs and relied on a quality starting 11 and a thin squad yet consistently achieved top 4.

Poch is the only realistic candidate that won’t steer from the rebuild and long term strategy the club is taking. He would instantly improve us and play a style of football appealing to the club and supporters.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Outside of him, what other options are there should Ole get sacked mid season?

Genuinely curious?
Current available coaches who have coached at the highest level: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Here's basically the only ones worth looking at, and it's not the best list ever.

Massimiliano Allegri
Mauricio Pochettino
Maurizio Sarri
Ernesto Valverde
Leonardo Jardim
Laurent Blanc
Marcelino

I'm kind of resigned to us being thoroughly mediocre for a while now because there are so many factors at play going wrong with the club; so I don't really think it matters who we get, unless we prise one of these new whiz-kid managers and they have a Klopp-like effect on us.

Red_Aaron

His Southampton team didn’t take long.

Their first game was against us and they pressed us off the park and even SAF was impressed.
I remember it well, they were fantastic and I've been a poch fan ever since

Still don't think it completely nulls my point though. It would be incredibly difficult for him to come in mid season in this the most exceptional of seasons. The pressures of becoming soton manager is a whole different kettle of fish to becoming utd manager too of course

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Current available coaches who have coached at the highest level: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Here's basically the only ones worth looking at, and it's not the best list ever.

Massimiliano Allegri
Mauricio Pochettino
Maurizio Sarri
Ernesto Valverde
Leonardo Jardim
Laurent Blanc
Marcelino

I'm kind of resigned to us being thoroughly mediocre for a while now because there are so many factors at play going wrong with the club; so I don't really think it matters who we get, unless we prise one of these new whiz-kid managers and they have a Klopp-like effect on us.
Why would United only be able to hire a currently available coach though?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He seems to be a coach who places emphasis on high intensity but his team's don't play great football. I've seen Marco Rose's Gladbach match the intensity of Poch's Spurs but also play some fantastic one touch football that has seen them open up the likes of Inter and Real Madrid with devastating one touch combinations and movement. Poch's Spurs were quite basic on the ball IMO.

The only reason we'd give him the job is due to him being a manager in England in the past and him being unemployed after getting sacked by Spurs. But from the evidence at hand he's not a better coach than the up and coming German coaches who look superior to him in actually coaching both a high pressure game and transitions.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why would United only be able to hire a currently available coach though?
He asked a question about who is currently available should Ole get sacked mid-season, I answered. Nobody said we would only be able to hire one of them.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He asked a question about who is currently available should Ole get sacked mid-season, I answered. Nobody said we would only be able to hire one of them.
That's not read how I read the question (maybe I missed context), but yeah, fair enough if that was your take on it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He seems to be a coach who places emphasis on high intensity but his team's don't play great football. I've seen Marco Rose's Gladbach match the intensity of Poch's Spurs but also play some fantastic one touch football that has seen them open up the likes of Inter and Real Madrid with devastating one touch combinations and movement. Poch's Spurs were quite basic on the ball IMO.

The only reason we'd give him the job is due to him being a manager in England in the past and him being unemployed after getting sacked by Spurs. But from the evidence at hand he's not a better coach than the up and coming German coaches who look superior to him in actually coaching both a high pressure game and transitions.
This is my thoughts too. Though after the tanking the other night I’m less sure about the 70s wannabe. He still seems a bit tactically naive

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
One thing that would concern me is that he just said "All players were ready to take on board everything I said" when he went to Southampton.

I want him to be our next manager but I don't think our players would afford him that courtesy.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If Ole goes midseason I've no doubt Poch will have zero issue coming in midseason.
Of course. He joined Southampton midseason and, in his first game, played us off the park at Old Trafford. We couldn't get out of our half. Sir Alex was very impressed.

3KDré

I would much rather go for Hasenhuttl, if he could leave midseason.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I would much rather go for Hasenhuttl, if he could leave midseason.
I've liked Hasenhuttl before most knew about him on here; going back to his Ingolstadt days. I would have no problem with him but I still think Poch is the superior coach.

Jostein Hjorteset

Stubborn Goldbridge has a xxxx for Pochettino. Want to influence things. Pogba will still show his inconsistency no matter who is the manager. The major problem is giving new contracts to those who does not deserve it, and not getting the best players in. Pretty simple at the core. Now, give Solskjaer time to sort some of this out. If the board/CFO interfere in the wrong way going forward no argentinian is going to sort this out for us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I would be wary of drawing parallels with coaches in the Bundasliga. Rose is as unproven as anyone, as playing sexy football in isolated big games isn't exactly a big sample I thought Spurs had some fantastic moves in some CL games under Pochettino and it wasn't just a high press tactic.

The quote you posted says itself that Poch adapted to the occasion after he instilled the press. This marks a strong coach for me, laying his foundations and tweaking to the opponent thereafter. Not saying Poch is a god here, but I think it's unfair to just bucket him as one dimensional.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Interesting. Why do you think Poch is the superior coach?
Pochettino develops excellent interpersonal relationships with his players. He was on the high performance podcast a while ago and talked about how important it was to know which player needed nurturing support and which player needed to be challenged. That reads straight out of an Alex Ferguson book on man management.

Hassenhuttl might play a more aggressive brand of football but its much easier to get max effort out of Southampton than it is to get the same thing out of players like Pogba and Martial.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
My favourite Pochettino team was Spurs when they were playing 352. This was during the time England started using it too and Dier was playing at CB rather than CDM.

Considering both 4231 and 352 has been played at United I'd rather Pochettino build up the 352 than a 4231.

Judas

Open to offers
If Poch took over tomorrow, how much of our squad do you think he'd want to keep, and which players would you expect him to bin off? Feel like the resident Spurs fans might know this best.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I think the people above the manager need to go before another manager is appointed.

If not our next most popular thread will be Poch in/out? Or contrary to popular opinion Poch isn’t a good manager...

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If Poch took over tomorrow, how much of our squad do you think he'd want to keep, and which players would you expect him to bin off? Feel like the resident Spurs fans might know this best.
Also what do spurs fans think he’d do with Pogba?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not fully convinced by him but what other manager can we get that you have confidence would win us major trophies? The ones I can think of like Klopp Pep and maybe Ancelotti are out of reach.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Do you think our owners would rather pay out a contract or get someone in on a 'free'?
Well, I was really just curious about the background of that one post. But put it that way... I mean, Poch is available without any hassle, so if you don't look at things much deeper than 'who are the candidates, what would they cost', then that gives him a very big advantage.

Bebestation

I'm not sure Binning is the word but il say that if he plays his traditional 4231 then Martial is out to get a striker like Llorente, Kane, Jenssen, Osvaldo, Lambert.

I don't see Rashford and Greenwood as any type of his preferred striker either so they will be playing out wide. I think we will get a crossing winger as well to provide crosses to a more in the box physical striker.

If he has a choice he wont bin any of the midfielders like Fred & Mctomminay because of his preference for players like Wanyama, Ndombele, Schneiderlin, Dier. He will definitely add another bulky CDM to provide exactly that, a bulky cdm. I think if he is given the choice to keep or chuck Pogba out I think he will keep him. I dont see why he would play players like Winks and Lo celso and exactly 'bin pogba' aslong as he wanted to stay. He might do it though like Jose binned Rooney knowing that the previous manager had not gotten the best of him and was viewed as a dead cause.

I think Shaw and AWB are good enough to be in the squad & he might reposition them but he would use Telles as a LB & buy an attacking RB or even transform James in to that.

I feel he will also drop de gea after his first mistake for Henderson but it's all just guesses.

El Jefe

That's not true at all. Poch's spurs played fantastic football between 2015-2018. Passed the ball out from the back as well as any team bar City and their attacking transitions were great to watch. He had Son, Alli, Kane and Eriksen all playing near or close to their peaks. The full backs Rose and Walker were also the best in the league. His central midfield play wasn't the most beautiful as he opted for physical hard workers but the rest of it was top class attacking football.

You might feel Rose's style is more entertaining but Pochettino's teams are also capable of fantastic one touch football.

He'sRaldo

He had a bad end to his time at Spurs, but he also was a runner up in the Premier League and Champions League with them. That is the sort of coach we should be appointing, especially as Spurs had no right to be in those positions.

I like the idea of young tactically innovative German managers as much as anyone, but I think the important part of riding off the coattails of Klopp (which is what a lot of them are doing) is actually achieving something tangible, worthy of the callup to a big club.

I'd say CL and Premier League runners up with a club like Tottenham are feats worthy of being pursued by Man Utd.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would be wary of drawing parallels with coaches in the Bundasliga. Rose is as unproven as anyone, as playing sexy football in isolated big games isn't exactly a big sample I thought Spurs had some fantastic moves in some CL games under Pochettino and it wasn't just a high press tactic.

The quote you posted says itself that Poch adapted to the occasion after he instilled the press. This marks a strong coach for me, laying his foundations and tweaking to the opponent thereafter. Not saying Poch is a god here, but I think it's unfair to just bucket him as one dimensional.
The quote tells me that Poch plays risk averse football which is pragmatic in nature and not very exciting to watch hence adapting his tactics against teams who impose their game on him. Davies basically says that they had to run alot under him but there wasn't any detailed tactical understanding bestowed upon the team from the coach which I find worrying.

Poch seems like a good man manager but tactically limited according to Davies. But if we do continue with our narrow minded approach and hire him because we can't look beyond the most obvious choice, then I hope he does well because he's gonna inherit a good squad with a quality academy team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's not true at all. Poch's spurs played fantastic football between 2015-2018. Passed the ball out from the back as well as any team bar City and their attacking transitions were great to watch. He had Son, Alli, Kane and Eriksen all playing near or close to their peaks. The full backs Rose and Walker were also the best in the league. His central midfield play wasn't the most beautiful as he opted for physical hard workers but the rest of it was top class attacking football.

You might feel Rose's style is more entertaining but Pochettino's teams are also capable of fantastic one touch football.
Davies who played under Poch is saying that he was limited whereby they were coached to play with high intensity without much tactical insight.

I watched his Spurs team against Ajax and Ten Hag imposed his game on Spurs and should've won. Poch resorted to hoofing the ball to Llorente who won the aerial battle against De Ligt which got Spurs the winner in the last minute. I only saw one team playing good football and that was Ajax. Ten Hag pressed high cut off the passing lanes which suffocated Spurs. I'd personally take Brendan Rodgers over him.

Bebestation

Davies who played under Poch is saying that he was limited whereby they were coached to play with high intensity without much tactical insight.

I watched his Spurs team against Ajax and Ten Hag imposed his game on Spurs and should've won. Poch resorted to hoofing the ball to Llorente who won the aerial battle against De Ligt which got Spurs the winner in the last minute. I only saw one team playing good football and that was Ajax. Ten Hag pressed high cut off the passing lanes which suffocated Spurs. I'd personally take Brendan Rodgers over him.
This is why I'm not crying out for him the 4231 and a route 1 Llorente type set up.

OrcaFat

I’m coming round to this. But only if he can get some chunky promises out of the board and is willing to quit if they shaft him. We need someone with balls.

I understand he has a reputation for improving players and I will be fascinated to see how he does with our lot. I’m guessing he’d finish top 4. You have to laugh or you end up crying hysterically.