A tactical shift from Ole? Shirley not

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is it that Lindelof is playing Zonal and Maguire is man marking? Maguire has to react whilst Lindelof is in his own zone ball watching.

I don't really get it - but something tells me that if that was the case & say if we still had Smalling & Maguire was Zonal marking whilst Smalling was man marking we would be much better off.
As far as I can remember, they are generally both in man marking. I don't really understand why you try try differentiate them, neither are particularly good.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don’t think so. City concede less corners than anybody else in the league due largely in part to dominating games so therefore they have to zonal mark less often. A team who’s worst feature is defending isn’t evidence it’s the best way to defend corners.
They concede less corners but last season and the one before, they conceded from corners at a lower rate as well.

The numbers just don't line up with what you're saying.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
In part, I agree. Nothing wrong with Zonal marking and as you say it works everywhere even in teams that go onto win the odd Champions League here and World Cup there. It's not foolproof or perfect though. So any mistake or goal will be picked up as a failing player, failing system, overpaid for Maguire, It's all Pogbas fault in the current climate
And the exact same for man to man marking too. Yet you’ll never see any pundit break out into hysteric rants about how terrible man to man marking is.

ReddBalls

He didn't really do that.
The next time we played them, they came up with a tactic which would nullify us and they spanked us. Ole has no tactic which can counter MCFC's tactic. The
Why would Pep need to come up with a new tactic if he wasn't tactically outsmarted the first time? :confused:

Mainoldo

No no. It’s not pointless but thanks. I have a few points though..

Do we really need to go game by game and analyze tactics? His record against top teams speaks for itself.

Spurs (vs Poch): Everyone thought we'd start with our standard 4-2-3-1. We surprised them by playing Rashford / Martial as wide forwards who ran in behind their CBs and wreaked havoc in the first half with Lingard has a false 9 and Pogba deep pinging balls to forwards. Should've won by more.
We switched from 4-3-3 to 4-3-2-1 playing Lingard as striker indeed. In the second half Spurs adjusted there formation moving Eriksen back to dictate from deep whilst we spent the next 45 mins camped in our half with De Gea making more saves than he did against Arsenal away the year before. Did you remember that bit?

Spurs (vs Mou): 2-1. Stuck to his guns and played a standard 4-2-3-1 and trusted his players to do the job, which they did. Sometimes you got to know when to stick and when to twist.
We did.. we beat an outdated tactican we rightfully sacked. Remember how he set up against them the season before. He used the same tactics and lost. Tried to play football when his teams cannot play football.

City (2-1 win recently): Setup to Counter and exploited the fact that Rodri is slow AF and their defence is shaky. Man marked their midfielders out with a hardworking 3 and should've scored a few more in the first half.
We did outwork them in the first half and Pep was naive to give our attackers that much space behind them. The second half they nullified AWB and allowed them to get control of the game again. We held on in the end.

City (3-1 loss): Pep countered by playing De Bruyne and Silva as forwards and creating a very flexible attack and our man marking was thrown off. We got caught clueless in the first half and the game was over but the changes in second half got us a goal back and it wasn't a slaughter. I'll call it 1-1 with Pep.
No call it City destroying us for 45 mins and taking their foot of the gas

Pool (1-1 at home): Only team to draw against Pool this year in the league. Back 3 with a hard working midfield, played on the break and nullified their attack completely. The wing backs dealt with their fullbacks and the CBs dealt with their front-3. Their midfield is pretty ineffective once the wing backs are neutralized. Should've won the game.
We should have won that game. He can have that one.

reddevil702

Ole try's to play like Liverpool and utilize our full backs that are shit at crossing the ball as the main focal point, all while being ineffective in what makes Liverpool so successful - their counter press. The area that Liverpool win the ball at - due to their press - is one of the main reasons they're so effective. The majority of our players have little movement off the ball and how many players actually get into the box during crosses, 1 - 2 maybe. If Ole wasn't tactical challenged, this would be seen on the pitch, we shouldn't need an article to explain what he's attempting to do.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This isn’t as simple as “overlapping fullbacks providing width.” This is a specific game plan, by design. The fullbacks are going to push up higher, and the forwards are going to tuck inside and be closer to goal. The midfielders are going to sit and cover the fullbacks. The width and creativity is going to come from the fullbacks
Except that it is. Overlapping fullbacks always need some sort of a covering system. Alves had Abidal tucking in. If you have 2 overlapping fullbacks, midfielders either cover out wide or drop back to allow center backs to cover the wings. It’s tactics 101, really, and everyone does it. What this article seem to ignore is that this system, that is based on attacking fullbacks and mobile covering players, is implemented in a team, where fullbacks are pretty much useless in attack and one of the covering players is either Matić or Maguire, a duo with the combined pace of a lumping turtle.

I’m not an Ole-out fanatic, even though I hope that we’ll hire a top manager soon. But that article is a bunch of nicely-formatted and illustrated pointless sentences.

Ole actually implicates some interesting ideas, like a strong focus on playing the ball out of defense with short passing — even against City (hey, it worked... once). He even forced De Gea to accurately pass with his feet, I can’t remember the last time I saw him doing that and not just goofing the ball forward.

harms

Staff
Because defending is City’s strength? They get away with it because they dominate possession and are a better overall side. When they do lose it’s because they can’t defend.
It is. They dominate possession because they use zonal defending. It’s not like Pep can switch to man-marking and keep the same attacking style while significantly improving their defense. And they barely allow any shots toward their goal to the opposition when the system works as intended. It’s a high risk - high reward type of a situation (not only their zonal system, but also their high line, aggressive pressing etc.)

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
What am I reading? Nearly all high press teams use zonal marking. Man marking is used situationally, mainly of specific players.

Teja

No no. It’s not pointless but thanks. I have a few points though..

We switched from 4-3-3 to 4-3-2-1 playing Lingard as striker indeed. In the second half Spurs adjusted there formation moving Eriksen back to dictate from deep whilst we spent the next 45 mins camped in our half with De Gea making more saves than he did against Arsenal away the year before. Did you remember that bit?

We did.. we beat an outdated tactican we rightfully sacked. Remember how he set up against them the season before. He used the same tactics and lost. Tried to play football when his teams cannot play football.

We did outwork them in the first half and Pep was naive to give our attackers that much space behind them. The second half they nullified AWB and allowed them to get control of the game again. We held on in the end.

No call it City destroying us for 45 mins and taking their foot of the gas

We should have won that game. He can have that one.
Re: his game management, I agree and I've been harping on about it, but it's one of the areas where he's really shit. Any tactical change from the opposing manager and he's caught like a deer in headlights. I think Carrick, McKenna and Phelan should help out more and we also need players with tactical knowledge on the field to call out adjustments.

One case in point is our last game against Pool, they started the second half pressing high and causing all sorts of chaos and for ten minutes we were still trying to play it out the back when De Gea collected the ball / tried to look for passes when counter attacking. I think it was De Gea after 10 minutes or so who decided to say feck it and just started lumping it long and the rest of the team caught on. We then played out the rest of the game okay. We almost gave away a couple of goals in that time and stuff like this shouldn't take 10 minutes to change for a coach.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Do any Premier League teams not use zonal marking or at least a mix of zonal and man?
Maybe they do. But at United it clearly isn't working well enough is it.
The players are not reacting quickly or positively to counter the threat.

acnumber9

They concede less corners but last season and the one before, they conceded from corners at a lower rate as well.

The numbers just don't line up with what you're saying.
Well obviously they’re more exposed when missing their best defender. They still aren’t evidence that zonal marking is the best way to go because clearly defending has been the weakest part of them their game for years.

JPRouve

Scout
Except that it is. Overlapping fullbacks always need some sort of a covering system. Alves had Abidal tucking in. If you have 2 overlapping fullbacks, midfielders either cover out wide or drop back to allow center backs to cover the wings. It’s tactics 101, really, and everyone does it. What this article seem to ignore is that this system, that is based on attacking fullbacks and mobile covering players, is implemented in a team, where fullbacks are pretty much useless in attack and one of the covering players is either Matić or Maguire, a duo with the combined pace of a lumping turtle.

I’m not an Ole-out fanatic, even though I hope that we’ll hire a top manager soon. But that article is a bunch of nicely-formatted and illustrated pointless sentences.

Ole actually implicates some interesting ideas, like a strong focus on playing the ball out of defense with short passing — even against City (hey, it worked... once). He even forced De Gea to accurately pass with his feet, I can’t remember the last time I saw him doing that and not just goofing the ball forward.
At least I'm not the only one who felt that way.

acnumber9

It is. They dominate possession because they use zonal defending. It’s not like Pep can switch to man-marking and keep the same attacking style while significantly improving their defense. And they barely allow any shots toward their goal to the opposition when the system works as intended. It’s a high risk - high reward type of a situation (not only their zonal system, but also their high line, aggressive pressing etc.)
They dominate possession because they have better players than everybody else and play to keep possession, not because of zonal defending. When talking zonal marking I thought we were taking about corners.

JPRouve

Scout
They dominate possession because they have better players than everybody else and play to keep possession, not because of zonal defending. When talking zonal marking I thought we were taking about corners.
But the marking on corners has nothing to do with possession.

I will make a bet that 90% of the haters or the Ole out in here don’t even read the whole article. They don’t even listen to the sensible reason from explanation, can’t expect them to even read an article about a manger they don’t even have faith in.
I have zero faith in Ole being a good enough manager for United, I read the entire article and am at a loss to what the guy has been smoking, what is so Liverpool-esque about the basic tactics like pushing up fullbacks & inverted wingers? The guy knows that every single team who play with attacking fullbacks ask their DM to fill in for them right? And Trent playing numerous cross field balls to Robertson is obviously the same as one pass from Williams to AWB.
And then he goes and brings up this blinder and had my head spinning faster than a Heart & Diamonds ride at Knutsford fair.

Throughout the season there have been elements of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, Didier Deschamps’s France, and Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool in United’s style of play. That’s what good managers do; they look at what others are doing and ask “which parts of that can I incorporate into my team? Which parts fit my players?”

At the start of the season, it was working. Pogba’s 0.47 xGBuildup per 90 and 2.79 key passes per 90 lead the team. His 0.24 xA per 90 is second only behind Juan Mata’s 0.32 (prior to the Norwich match, Pogba still lead the team).

Such is life that even the best laid plans seem to always go astray. Pogba was injured after four games, leaving United with a big creative hole.
"At the start it was working"? Was it mate, fecking was it? because Pogba played in the following before his injury:

United 4 - 0 Chelsea
Wolves 1 - 1 United
United 1 - 2 Palace
Southampton 1 - 1 United

If that is working, well I'm happy December arrived and some shit actually did finally start working, because a 25% win-rate isn't what I'd call working.

harms

Staff
The original discussion had nothing to do with the corners. And yes, they dominate the possession because they have great technical players and they implement a defensive structure (that includes everyone, not only the back 4) that is suited for the task in hand — to deny the opposition space and time on the ball. More so, juego de posición, Pep's philosophy, is the ultimate version of zonal defending.

Withnail

What am I reading? Nearly all high press teams use zonal marking. Man marking is used situationally, mainly of specific players.
I'm not really sure what everyone is talking about on this.

The point they were making on Sky was that one of the better taller defenders, such as Maguire, should have been on VVD specifically at corners rather than leaving it to Williams.

I didn't hear them saying zonal marking shouldn't be used in general.

JPRouve

Scout
They concede less corners because they are attacked less often due to the domination of possession.
They are attacked less because they are good at keeping the ball and regaining possession quickly. You can't be a good possession team without being good at defending, the transition to defense is probably the most important part for these teams.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Nothing would give me more pleasure than us getting two players, Ole growing in stature and going on a winning run and snagging top 4, maybe winning the Europa.

I still maintain that there are too many worrying signs, in how he manages the squad and injuries, how many points he has lost this season despite a more talented squad than some would like to admit, and, crucially, his posture in standing up to the owners and getting what he needs to be successful.

I am Ole out, but I will still be cheering for the team and looking for hope in articles such as this one. The likes of Hassenhutl has picked up recently with far inferior players and shown a flexibility in altering his formation to get better results.

Ole needs to start getting results more often. Hopefully we hammer Burnley tonight because Chelsea are on the ropes.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They are attacked less because they are good at keeping the ball and regaining possession quickly. You can't be a good possession team without being good at defending, the transition to defense is probably the most important part for these teams.
May not ultimately be relevant to @acnumber9's point (I don't know and I don't care anymore), but yes, shout this louder please.

Maybe we'll get a stat in a few years that covers the percentage of goals conceded while using man-to-man defense vs zonal.

Foxbatt

Zonal marking or man to man marking at set pieces has got nothing to do with pressing.

Denis79

A false false 9 means we pretend he’s a false 9 but really he’s a 9. Subtle difference to a false quasi false 9 which is where you pretend he’s a quasi false 9 but he’s actually a false 9
So a 9?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
AWB could have 2 assists tonight if Martial and Mata were on their job.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Such rubbish tactics today.

Plays a false 9 player with James and and Mata.

Literally the only forward we have is on the bench.

I'm done with Ole.

We are desperate & he started the season saying that players like Greenwood were ready - guess all that was a lie.

Krieger

Throughout the season there have been elements of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, Didier Deschamps’s France, and Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool in United’s style of play. That’s what good managers do; they look at what others are doing and ask “which parts of that can I incorporate into my team? Which parts fit my players?”
I started to read the article but stopped right there. Like City, Liverpool and France all rolled into one :lol:

Solskjær's level is Scandinavia, not the Premier League.

He'sRaldo

Such rubbish tactics today.

Plays a false 9 player with James and and Mata.

Literally the only forward we have is on the bench.

I'm done with Ole.

We are desperate & he started the season saying that players like Greenwood were ready - guess all that was a lie.
Like I said earlier in the thread, it's all just random. I was hoping he actually learnt something, but unfortunately, he seems to be oblivious.