Aaron Lennon | Health issues

Zlatattack

Hope he gets well soon. Depression etc can affect anyone and it's a terrible disease.

Peanut Butter

My old youth worker and long standing football friend had been sectioned earlier this year with diagnosed schizophrenia. He is being medicated and not sure if and when he will be released. He was never a danger to us at football or to himself but was very delusional about his kids, couldn't hold a job, etc. Did your colleague/friend ever come out of sectioning?
Sorry to hear that mate.

Yes he lives a 'normal' life now - he was also diagnosed with schizophrenia.

This guy I know also gets delusional about children - it's an absolute c**t of an illness as he is such a nice guy.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Just read about it, poor guy, depression is the true killer of our times. Hope he gets all the help needed and it's great to hear that somebody managed to reach out to him before something bad happened.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I used to hate having to watch our left back deal with him. On his day he was a real handful. This is really sad news. I hope he can get the help he needs.
Evra had a tough game against him.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I was wondering what had happened to him. Does he have some personal problems? Hope he recovers quickly :)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The thing with money is it should make you happy, but if you have a mental issue it could actually make things even worse. He is unhappy yet might be feeling guilty as people keep telling him he should be happy because he has money. As people say money means nothing if you cannot enjoy it. Poor lad.

Bole Top

apsolutely loved the guy when he was at Spurs, so good luck to him.

regardless of him, I must admit, though, whenever I hear that random super rich footballer/actor/singer has problems with depression or is just unhappy with life, I can't help but wonder how those people would feel if they were suddenly put in place of common people from countries like Albania or Bulgaria for example.

I know I'm oversimplifying things here, but if you can't enjoy your life with 50 million euros on your bank account, then I really can't imagine how bad would you feel being depressed while also living in poverty and lacking basic needs like good medical care.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

regardless of him, I must admit, though, whenever I hear that random super rich footballer/actor/singer has problems with depression or is just unhappy with life, I can't help but wonder how those people would feel if they were suddenly put in place of common people from countries like Albania or Bulgaria for example.

I know I'm oversimplifying things here, but if you can't enjoy your life with 50 million euros on your bank account, then I really can't imagine how bad would you feel being depressed while also living in poverty and lacking basic needs like good medical care.
There's always one.

L11

I seriously suggest you take a look into what depression actually is before you make such comments

Tarrou

You have no idea what is going on in his life and there could be any number of reasons for him getting sick. It's bizarre to equate this to money.

Maybe one of his relatives is sick or something, who knows? Would 50 million euros fix that?

FujiVice

Jesus wept, this post is rotten. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain you feckstick. It doesnt matter if he's got 200 million in the bank or on the dole. He cant help his illness.

predator

Youth NITK
No idea what is the issue but I hope he is ok as I would with anyone.

You see some people with nothing who are so happy in life and treasure every little thing and on the other hand you have people who seem to have everything (money and fame) and they are cannot help but feel dejected.

It makes me wonder what the key to happiness is - which I value as the most significant factor of quality of life. Is it the chemical compostion of our brains - some having a chemical imbalance which needs repairing via medication or exercise, CBT.

Clarke Carlisle made a very interesting documentary about depression in football which was aired in July 2013. It relates the extreme euphoria footballers feel whilst playing compared to the lack of it whilst retired. It makes sense to me why alot of ex footballers struggle in later life because at one point they were hot topics and suddenly it can all so easily fade with a career ending injury or simply due to retirement. How does one get the same euphoria they once did scoring goals in front of thousands if not millions of people?

Clarke was in complete despair at times throughout the doc and the saddest part is that a year and a half after this documentary, which seemed to end on a good note regarding himself, he was involved in a near death road accident which was a failed attempted suicide. That story was very tragic as it was revealed that the man who found Clarke's motionless body by the road killed himself months later...

Anyway I hope Lennon gets all the help he needs. I hope he is reading all the wonderful things people are saying about him because he is loved by so many across the world. I also hope that anyone in the same situation mentally can realise that help is there in multiple ways

Bole Top

You have no idea what is going on in his life and there could be any number of reasons for him getting sick. It's bizarre to equate this to money.

Maybe one of his relatives is sick or something, who knows? Would 50 million euros fix that?
1. I didn't even read past the title, that's why I've said "regardless of him". I'm speaking in general, not solely about depression and not about him or his situation which I'm not familiar with.

2. and that's the whole point of my post. yes, money helps with getting your relative cured if it's possible of course, money that is just unavailable to majority of other people. nothing else.

I'm not sure why exactly is my curiosity so offensive to some people here. it's not like I wrote his money should compensate for his dying kids or mother.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hope he gets the help he needs - just shows that you never really know what's going on in people's lives. Could happen to any of us.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Terrible news, best of luck on your recovery Aaron.

I hate the stigma surrounding mental health as so many are suffering from varying forms of it.

Daily Mail can get fecked too.

b82REZ

1. I didn't even read past the title, that's why I've said "regardless of him". I'm speaking in general, not solely about depression and not about him or his situation which I'm not familiar with.

2. and that's the whole point of my post. yes, money helps with getting your relative cured if it's possible of course, money that is just unavailable to majority of other people. nothing else.

I'm not sure why exactly is my curiosity so offensive to some people here. it's not like I wrote his money should compensate for his dying kids or mother.
You come across as very ignorant. I would suggest you just leave it.

The likelihood is that the money is a huge contributing factor to his stress.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They are absolutely tosspots..what on earth has money got to do with mental health....jeez....
It will no doubt fuel the whole "What has he got to be stressed about when he's earning £xxx,xxx a week?" which is probably exactly what the Daily Mail wants. They are poison.

MadMike

It will no doubt fuel the whole "What has he got to be stressed about when he's earning £xxx,xxx a week?" which is probably exactly what the Daily Mail wants. They are poison.
They are cancer personified. They indulge and thrive on the worst human thoughts and traits. I'd be truly ashamed if I worked for that paper.

Keenst

You're obviously lucky enough never to have suffered from any mental illness. Money can only help so far as he can afford good therapists/doctors but it's not like you can just buy a cure. Of course being in deep poverty and being depressed at the same time would be worse but what exactly is the point in stating something so blindingly obvious?

donkeyfish

I think objectively, most would agree that being rich helps you getting better treatment. That probably applies to more regular people in many countries as well compared to the third world. Just as it does with cancer or cholera.

However, the strange ways of our mind doesn't always allow us to recognise the objective. Most of my friends with kids say the happiest moment of their lives was becoming a parent, yet postpartum depression is quite common. It's not always the case that mental illness is directly correlated with your observable life. Which is odd and somewhat difficult to understand, but the case nonetheless.

If there is a car accident, the driver may be just fine but the passenger develops PTSD, riddled with guilt. Although every objective observation concludes the driver was at fault.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There have been studies done on professional athletes regarding depression and according to them they are more likely to be depressed than people with "normal" jobs. No one that says anything so how many footballers are depressed out there and not saying anything?

Celestiale

However, the strange ways of our mind doesn't always allow us to recognise the objective. Most of my friends with kids say the happiest moment of their lives was becoming a parent, yet postpartum depression is quite common. It's not always the case that mental illness is directly correlated with your observable life. Which is odd and somewhat difficult to understand, but the case nonetheless.

If there is a car accident, the driver may be just fine but the passenger develops PTSD, riddled with guilt. Although every objective observation concludes the driver was at fault.
There have been studies done on professional athletes regarding depression and according to them they are more likely to be depressed than people with "normal" jobs. No one that says anything so how many footballers are depressed out there and not saying anything?
Good posts. In addition better paid jobs mostly(!) go hand in hand with a lot more stress. A "normal worker", your normally employed office worker, carpenter or butcher can't even begin to comprehend how much stress you have to endure as a Premier league footballer, or a top manager. For a lot of people this kind of stress has adverse health effects, either mental or phyiscal.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There's still such a stigma over mental health and athletes are human like everyone else. There are many men in everyday jobs who keep their mental issues bottled up as to have mental health problems is still seen as "weak" by some people.

A fair bit has happened to try and help understanding but there is still that group of people who get a kick out of bullying others and make them feel worse about themselves which results in feelings being bottled up. Look on these forums, there are people calling our players snowflakes for getting a ligament injury.

ZAGREB RED

Get well soon Aaron, I hope you get the support and help you deserve and are back with your family and playing football very soon.

Celestiale

Get well soon Aaron, I hope you get the support and help you deserve and are back with your family and playing football very soon.
I don't think he will play football again, he suffered a psychosis. He'll probably get treated with Seroquel or something else with Quetiapin, which will hopefully make him fit for the "everyday" again, but definitely not fit for doing a professional sport.

ZAGREB RED

I don't think he will play football again, he suffered a psychosis. He'll probably get treated with Seroquel or something else with Quetiapin, which will hopefully make him fit for the "everyday" again, but definitely not fit for doing a professional sport.
I hadn't realised it was just as serious as that, hopefully he can get things back on an even keel again, even if football is out of the question. It's very sad.

Cloud7

Can't believe on this day and age there are people who still think depression is something you can control and some people "don't have anything to be sad about". Absolutely insane.

Having seen the depths that the human mind can plunge to under the cuff of mental illness, it really is horrible and not something I would wish on anyone.

Hope Lennon manages to make a recovery.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Good posts. In addition better paid jobs mostly(!) go hand in hand with a lot more stress. A "normal worker", your normally employed office worker, carpenter or butcher can't even begin to comprehend how much stress you have to endure as a Premier league footballer, or a top manager. For a lot of people this kind of stress has adverse health effects, either mental or phyiscal.
Yup, I think that we often don't think about it, but, even if not all, many footballers treat their job very ambitiously, put up with massive pressure, get abused the whole game playing away and, in some cases, they and their families get threatened. It's mental at times with any sport.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Difficult stuff. Both my uncle and best friend got taken to a mental institution earlier this year. So I know how hard it is for them and the family.

Hope he can find joy in life again

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Can't believe on this day and age there are people who still think depression is something you can control and some people "don't have anything to be sad about". Absolutely insane.

Having seen the depths that the human mind can plunge to under the cuff of mental illness, it really is horrible and not something I would wish on anyone.

Hope Lennon manages to make a recovery.
My best advice for people like that is to visit a mental institution and see with your own eyes how warped a person's mind can become.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Poor guy....:( Best wishes to his family as well... it won't be easy for them to deal with this either. Really hope he gets the best care possible...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There's still such a stigma over mental health and athletes are human like everyone else. There are many men in everyday jobs who keep their mental issues bottled up as to have mental health problems is still seen as "weak" by some people.

A fair bit has happened to try and help understanding but there is still that group of people who get a kick out of bullying others and make them feel worse about themselves which results in feelings being bottled up. Look on these forums, there are people calling our players snowflakes for getting a ligament injury.
I think there's less stigma than people think, at least where I am. We have here that's called (roughly translated) "I am not taboo" and it has gone well. People post articles in paper and open statuses on Facebook talking about their mental health problems. The reception is never negative towards them. Maybe it's just my culture but as far as I'm concerned it's more to do with ignorance and it being an uncommon subject matter as well as people simply just recently finding out that they have problems at all. Carrie Fischer was bipolar for more than 30 years before she got diagnosed and being the person that she was she didn't hide it.

Can't think of a better platform to raise awareness than from a footballers perspective if he or someone he knows is suffering.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I seriously suggest you take a look into what depression actually is before you make such comments
Jesus wept, this post is rotten. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain you feckstick. It doesnt matter if he's got 200 million in the bank or on the dole. He cant help his illness.
Actually there is some quite substantial evidence to suggest that what we call depression is largely a product of Western lifestyles. 'Depression' as a disease cannot be isolated as a tangible physical problem of the brain in the same way that illnesses of other organs can be. It is a very vague term and while there are often underlying causes related to chemical imbalances, how these problems manifest themselves in human mood obviously relate to social factors. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his post.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
No need to jump on @Bole Top for displaying a lack of understanding of mental illness.

Calling someone a feckstick and treating them like an idiot is hardly going to incline them to listen and learn further on this subject - and spreading greater awareness of the causes and effects of mental illness is something we should very much work towards.