Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

Do feel at times he does take a risk going to ground all the time as there was one today where he had Sterling beat for pace and power and could easily have just taken possesion of the ball but he went for the cruncher.
I think that's the reason why he always get the timing right. He goes for the slide tackle when he is ahead so that when he comes in with the sweeping tackle from the side there's almost no chance of them poking the ball away and drawing the foul.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Arguably the single best defensive performance I’ve seen from one of our players in the last 6 years. Imagine that level of performance in that 06 to 09 team on the right hand side
That's a bit much. Sterling beat him comfortably around 3 times and we got away with it becuase City had no presence in the centre. But all in all AWB did excellently

Shimo

That's a bit much. Sterling beat him comfortably around 3 times and we got away with it becuase City had no presence in the centre. But all in all AWB did excellently
I had seen he got the MOTM and thought he would have been absolutely a wall, like he has often been but, I've just finished watching the whole game and him winning the MOTM is bit of a head scratcher. As you said, he got taken by Sterling a few times and yes that is one of the best wingers playing right now but, AWB wasn't a complete beast, he had some of his normal tackles but, today I thought was one of his weaker performances defensively. Also, he was bad with the ball - the chance Lindelof blocked off KDB was AWB first losing the ball on the sidelines and then clearing it poorly.

I think he is absolute quality player and will continue to grow as he seems like the type to really work and will learn a lot from today. but, think the plaudits are not as deserved for today's performance.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
:lol: the number of times Sterling took him on, it would be utterly absurd if he didn't beat him a few times. I guess you've never played fullback if you think that's the right barometer.

Their main threat had a minimal impact on the game purely due to his exceptional defending one on one, including a goal-saving tackle at a critical moment from a position no other player on the pitch would've even attempted.

For a kid, that was outstanding.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He was great. Would not won without him. But he was at fault for their goal and did play Jesus online for his header in the first half. Hope he improved his passing too.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Hopefully we can now close down the debate whether or not he was a poor signing, because this wasn't a one off. He has done this all season and has pretty much shut down our right flank completely. Nothing gets past him

If Shaw now manager to stay fit and find the kind of form he displayed last year, we might actually be in really good shape regarding fullbacks

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: the number of times Sterling took him on, it would be utterly absurd if he didn't beat him a few times. I guess you've never played fullback if you think that's the right barometer.

Their main threat had a minimal impact on the game purely due to his exceptional defending one on one, including a goal-saving tackle at a critical moment from a position no other player on the pitch would've even attempted.

For a kid, that was outstanding.
Meh, thanks for the condescending bit. As I said he was excellent. But it wasnt the best defensive peformance in 6 years. And every great defensive fullback peformance doesn't see the player completely skinned three times. There's the winger getting his nose ahead of you and then that. Like I said, it happens when you're up against a top team and top player but it's not an era peak performance imo.

MrVolley

AWB.
Brilliant just outside of our box.
Poor inside our box and over the half way line.

Robert

His lack of ball playing ability and offensive skills put me off. Opposing teams also know about this weakness and target him. In every build up from the back opposing teams close off our left side and leave space on the right so the pass from the CB will go to Wan then they'll pressure him and he's most likely to lose possession.

His offensive contribution is non existent. I'm not one obsessed with attacking fullbacks but he needs to improve his ability on the ball because they are vital to bring the ball from the back or opening another chanel for the CBs to play through without us likely losing possession as soon as he's pressed.
Talk about focus on the negatives. Crikey. Not a smidgen of positivity on the back of what was a good performance by any metric.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I was thinking yesterday, when was the last time a RB had you almost off your seat for simple defending? I just love watching AWB tackle. Sure he’s not the best at going forward but he is so good at defending it’s brilliant to watch. Brilliant signing and worth every penny.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not too worried about his ability on the ball yet as I have seen encouraging signs in some passes of his, his ability to shield the ball, and some decent ball carrying at times.

What does worry me is how weak he seems to be in the air. Playing on the same side as Lindelof doesn't help in regards to said weakness either.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
For a RB I'd say he's by no means weak.

Fracture90

Just wow! After that first 5 minutes when Sterling got the best of him on one occasion, he just took the game by the neck and never looked back.

I swear you (and the opposition players for that matter) never see those tackles coming. In one moment he's eyeing his opponent, then split second later he's running away with the ball the opponent is left bamboozled, wondering what happened...

Need someone to make a compilation of him making tackles but with those Bruce Lee punch sounds.

Jamie Shawcross

I had seen he got the MOTM and thought he would have been absolutely a wall, like he has often been but, I've just finished watching the whole game and him winning the MOTM is bit of a head scratcher. As you said, he got taken by Sterling a few times and yes that is one of the best wingers playing right now but, AWB wasn't a complete beast, he had some of his normal tackles but, today I thought was one of his weaker performances defensively. Also, he was bad with the ball - the chance Lindelof blocked off KDB was AWB first losing the ball on the sidelines and then clearing it poorly.

I think he is absolute quality player and will continue to grow as he seems like the type to really work and will learn a lot from today. but, think the plaudits are not as deserved for today's performance.
Are you joking? Even the best RB's get beaten from time to time in games, but his overall performance was staggering. His energy, work rate, awareness and tackling was nothing short of a World Class performance. I haven't seen a better RB performance in years, I don't know what you were watching? Its like saying a striker who scored 4 goals didn't play too well because he missed a couple of sitters!

Great game - Saved us numerous times, but most when he ran across the box after sterling and tackled him from the wrong side. I thought he was going to give away a pen, but most likely saved us a goal. Fans favourite.

Alexit

Are you joking? Even the best RB's get beaten from time to time in games, but his overall performance was staggering. His energy, work rate, awareness and tackling was nothing short of a World Class performance. I haven't seen a better RB performance in years, I don't know what you were watching? Its like saying a striker who scored 4 goals didn't play too well because he missed a couple of sitters!
Agreed, awarding him MOTM or the moniker of "beast" doesn't necessarily mean he never got beat; he did and will continue to get beat. That's the nature of the game. But considering what he was up against today his overall performance was outstanding!

Before the game I was saying that I had to wear my AWB kit on matchday; but I forgot and ended up going out in a regular tee. But I'm rambling now, so let me stop here.

cyberman

It was a ready made game for him. Citys game down the middle has been dead for a long time. They lazily play it out wide these days for the little cutbacks, its why KDB is known for his crosses now instead of midfield excellence.
They overload the wings and are woefully out of position when they lose the ball. We needed out FB to be strong and they went above and beyond.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Does the Caf like him again now? Such a bipolar place.

The lad is class and only 21/22. He'll improve going forward obviously but what a talent. Great signing.
I've had a man-crush on him since he joined us. That hasn't changed a bit at any time. Love seeing more people show some love for him now. :drool:

Red Royal

Love this guy...amazing number if times he wins that ball, even if it is heart in mouth moments!!

I do hope he could get some coaching to improve his positioning slightly so he didnt need to dive in.... I fear at some point he'll give away a dangerous free kick% penalty

Ekeke

It is over 20, but he was dribbled 4 times, so "nothing got past him" is an exaggeration.

5 tackles, 2 interceptions, 7 clearances, 9 blocks. The 9 blocks is what is most impressive in this particular match, not his tackling.
3 blocked shots, 4 blocked crosses and 2 blocked passes.

It's as though, because he was dribbled 3 times in the first half, I think all by Sterling, he decided to activate beast mode for the rest of the game.

His passing was awful though, I wish he would improve that side of his game.
People get past him, but thats when hes at his best. They move the ball past him and then he makes a long sliding recovery tackle. Occasionally someone beats him properly but nowhere near as often as pretty much any other fullback where it might happen once a match, or once every 2 matches. With Wan-Bissaka its like once per 10 matches

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If he was good on the ball going forward he'd be a ridiculous footballer.

Probably why the football gods have made him this way... To maintain balance to the force.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Agree with this, it's actually the first time this season I've seen a winger dribble past him. But he grew into the game and and didn't let anything get past him during the second half of the game.

DoomSlayer

I gave him a reactionary 10 out of 10 after the game but I still think he was absolutely amazing watching back some of the highlights now. Proper warrior and it seems nothing really fazed him. :drool:

Ekeke

Wasn’t the goal showing his lack of defending 1 on 1 ?
In one particular scenario, in the air. Yes. He can improve that for sure. On the ground he's fantastic but he's obviously able to improve in some areas, including in attack and in the air

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He was excellent in his role against - lets face it - the best left-sided winger in the country.

But...he was marking Otamendi for the goal, so will need to watch that a few times. Got well bullied.

But he's an excellent addition to the team and only going to get better!

Rossa

He did struggle with Sterling at first. Wan-Bissaka normally does the Evra move where he affords the winger a couple of yards only to chase them down and put in a tackle. If you are faster than your opponent it is a win win. They can't go on the inside as you block that path, and then you force them wide and put in a tackle. But as with Lennon vs Evra, Sterling is quicker off the mark than Wan-Bissaka. Not many are, so Wan-Bissaka gets away with it most of the time. What I liked is that after the second time Sterling got past him, AWB changed his defending, and after that he had Sterling in his pocket. That change is to me absolutely brilliant, and very difficult to do in a match. I think he was outstanding.

Rossa

He was excellent in his role against - lets face it - the best left-sided winger in the country.

But...he was marking Otamendi for the goal, so will need to watch that a few times. Got well bullied.

But he's an excellent addition to the team and only going to get better!
You have to ask why on earth did not Maguire take care of City's biggest (only?) threat in the air?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
You have to ask why on earth did not Maguire take care of City's biggest (only?) threat in the air?
We do have some strange matchups. Can't recall which match, but we had Shaw on a centre back a couple weeks ago.

Perhaps Maguire attacks the ball? I think we did that with Vidic.

A-man

It was a mixed performance, but overall he was very good. At the same time as he got many good tackles and blocks, I have never seen him been dribbled so many times before. And I have never seen him lose the ball so many times. But at the same time City put a lot of pressure on him when he had the ball.

A-man

Maybe I remember it wrong, but I think AWB was responsible for tracking/disturbing /stopping Otamendis movement but failed. I was disappointed Maguire didn’t win the header but it was difficult when Otamendi was given a free run.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You use someone like him to go for the ball in the danger zone, not to body check, impede and run around man-marking someone.

It's the correct setup and it is bound to happen you can't always stop the oppo getting a chance. It was a bit poor yes, but you have to give credit to Otamendi for a great charge and stomping header.

RedIan

What a defender this kid Is. Great game yesterday... snubbed out most of city threat down their left side. Gave Him motm

Stadjer

Sterling did get past him a few times but overall he won the battle by a big margin. He really is a fantastic defender.

He is rightfully being praised but after next match he will be called shit again because he isnt Dani Alves on the ball. He can improve his going forward part of the game but saying he is the worst ever at it just isnt true. He is an excellent defensive back with average but not terrible ability when going forward.

Shimo

No, I wasn't joking and I obviously watched the match having cited what I saw, no need to be all apoplectic because I don't share your view. In particular because he won MOTM and having watch the match post seeing the commentary by pundits and in the post match thread and here, I was looking for as you put it world class performance. He had his what I would say normal moments where he would get in a great tackle and also did well for staying on Sterling after Lindelof gave the ball away. However, the number of times Sterling got by him and also his giving away of the ball poorly and even their goal has me, my take is that it was one of his weaker performances. Still the best defensive right back in the league for me and I the type of player I expect to learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.