Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was discussing the same thing with my father yesterday. We both felt that it is AWBs passing that was not upto the required standard, but he seems alright in other aspects of his attacking game.
I agree with that. He’s capable of a few tricks, he’s not useless on the ball as some narratives would have you believe

OmarUnited4ever

People keep saying that but it’s not true, even yesterday he did a little bit of skill to get out of a tight spot. He’s got skills.

what he doesn’t have:
Consistent right sided support creating space for him
Consistency of passing and crossing
Weak in the air
Composure sometimes

but he IS comfortable on the ball
the bolded parts are why I say he isn't comfortable on the ball, of course he isn't bad with his first touch or his control, just that when he gets the ball in a tight spot, sometimes he'll get out of it by passing, running with pace or dribbling, but often times he wouldn't know what to do, hence why I say he is NOT comfortable on the ball. at least not as comfortable as Shaw.

Remember , he is only 23 now, he will get better with his consistency with passing/crossing and his composure on the ball, since he arrived he's been on upward trajectory and he is been the most consistent RB in the league in terms of overall performance.

golden_blunder

Staff
the bolded parts are why I say he isn't comfortable on the ball, of course he isn't bad with his first touch or his control, just that when he gets the ball in a tight spot, sometimes he'll get out of it by passing, running with pace or dribbling, but often times he wouldn't know what to do, hence why I say he is NOT comfortable on the ball. at least not as comfortable as Shaw.

Remember , he is only 23 now, he will get better with his consistency with passing/crossing and his composure on the ball, since he arrived he's been on upward trajectory and he is been the most consistent RB in the league in terms of overall performance.
I know I replied to your post but I was making a point because multiple times I’ve read on here “he’s not good on the ball”, which grates my cheese.

I’m a fan, we’ve already seen him become more progressive in his second season, again with minimal support from the right flank

OmarUnited4ever

I know I replied to your post but I was making a point because multiple times I’ve read on here “he’s not good on the ball”, which grates my cheese.

I’m a fan, we’ve already seen him become more progressive in his second season, again with minimal support from the right flank
No problems mate.

I am also confident with his progress and how far he can go.. him and Shaw are very good and the FB position is the one most stable at the team right now.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
When's the last time he had a game where he was good going forward and good at defending? It's always one or the other. I think once it clicks for him, he'll be terrific.

Maybe he'd benefit from some rest and/or competition.

Most minutes played out of almost anyone in the league. I can't imagine he's always at 100% with the amount of a distance he has to cover. Why do we have 2 RB's on loan? Were Tuanzebe and Williams supposed to be AWB's backup this season? And why does Ole not trust them to play in meaningless cup games? Strange indeed.

Nickosaur

2 goals, 3 assists this season. For someone who is criticised for poor attacking play that's a really good return. He will only get better.

I think he can look a bit 'awkward' on the ball, which probably affects people's perception of him in terms of an attacking player. He still has work to do on his passing but his bursts of pace and control is generally good.

Alfie092

If he can start to show both quality attacking and defensive output at the same time like Shaw then we could be sorted at fullback for a while and we can focus on the spine and the RW areas of our team!

Ekeke

I think his passing is actually fairly good most of the time, its just he doesn't often look for a pass that splits the defence or something like Shaw, TAA or Robertson might try. He occasionally makes a good progressive pass, but like with Lindelof's passing on the ground it usually means just a nice pass into midfield which leaves a lot to do to make use of it. Liverpool's fullbacks play switches from one side of the pitch to the other. And Shaw is good at picking a player out at the edge of the box, or playing the ball in behind the defence on a counter for our fast players to get on the end of. AWB has also been quite good at doing first time passes moving the ball quickly. But again they are mostly straight forward and simple passes just moving the ball to another player

Meep

Love AWB. Would be great if he could have someone better to rotate with for easier games, then I think his level would be higher all around.

eire-red

I think he's steadily improved all season, and he's acclimatised to more being demanded from him in attack, while also being defensively solid.

That was his issue at the start of the season I think, learning how to balance the additional attacking responsibility with his defensive work.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Love AWB. Would be great if he could have someone better to rotate with for easier games, then I think his level would be higher all around.
I think the club are hoping Laird will take that mantle.

AgentSmith

he’s a starter for Atletico Madrid.

I think we could have got him in that role when he left Spurs, but not now. Not unless he loses his place.
He's 31 at the start of next season with only a year left on his deal. I think if the betting charges hadn't interfered we'd have gone for him in January but it would only makes sense as a Telles-esque deal in terms of price though.

He's 31 at the start of next season with only a year left on his deal. I think if the betting charges hadn't interfered we'd have gone for him in January but it would only makes sense as a Telles-esque deal in terms of price though.
if we could get him, then great. I just don’t see why he would go and be second fiddle given where he is playing.

largelyworried

I'm really appreciating the improvement in AWBs game going forward. Last season, towards the end, he started to improve, but in a very regimented way. He was able to knock a ball past the full back and stick the ball into the box, which he did well, and got a few assists that way. However that was the limit of what he could do. Now he's starting to show a lot more poise on the ball. He can carry the ball into higher risk areas infield as well as just running down the line. His passing into midfield in attacking areas is getting better and he's starting to underlap as well as overlap.

Don't want to go overboard here, we're not in peak Lahm territory just yet. But the work that the coaches are doing really seems to be working.

Ekeke

he’s a starter for Atletico Madrid.

I think we could have got him in that role when he left Spurs, but not now. Not unless he loses his place.
I think the lesson to learn is that you can be a rightback at Burnley doing well for them and still be a quality signing for Spurs or play for a big Spanish club

He got 14 assists for Burnley in 13/14 and 4 the next season before Spurs bought him. If he had got those 14 assists for a more fashionable club the top premier league teams would be all over him. They werent

It took him until Spurs picked him up and he was playing regularly for them that he started to be appreciated.

So we should be looking for the next players like Trippier who are doing an oustanding job for a lower and less fashionable team, still performing and getting the numbers and giving them the chance to do it for a bigger club like he did.

I dont think theres anyone exactly like Trippier, but for example Matt Cash at Villa is pretty good and might be able to take a step up a similar way at 23 years old. He has 2 assists so far this season and had 5 with 3 goals in the championship for Forest last season, 1 assist and 6 goals the season before that

I think the lesson to learn is that you can be a rightback at Burnley doing well for them and still be a quality signing for Spurs or play for a big Spanish club

He got 14 assists for Burnley in 13/14 and 4 the next season before Spurs bought him. If he had got those 14 assists for a more fashionable club the top premier league teams would be all over him. They werent

It took him until Spurs picked him up and he was playing regularly for them that he started to be appreciated.

So we should be looking for the next players like Trippier who are doing an oustanding job for a lower and less fashionable team, still performing and getting the numbers and giving them the chance to do it for a bigger club like he did.

I dont think theres anyone exactly like Trippier, but for example Matt Cash at Villa is pretty good and might be able to take a step up a similar way at 23 years old. He has 2 assists so far this season and had 5 with 3 goals in the championship for Forest last season, 1 assist and 6 goals the season before that
As a club we aren’t good at this. Look at Robertson for Liverpool as another example.

if/when we have more stability in our structure - that will more likely come. I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the club looking looking down at clubs, or players that aren’t fashionable.

with the churn of players and constant change, we have always been looking for starters, and players that can make a difference straight away.

james would be an example of a player looking to make the step up.

Ekeke

As a club we aren’t good at this. Look at Robertson for Liverpool as another example.

if/when we have more stability in our structure - that will more likely come. I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the club looking looking down at clubs, or players that aren’t fashionable.

with the churn of players and constant change, we have always been looking for starters, and players that can make a difference straight away.

james would be an example of a player looking to make the step up.
I'm not sure about the club, I was talking more about the transfer forum and this website and the players that people suggest and dismiss

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not sure its suitable to buy someone who d young like Aaron's or cash to compete with Wan Bissaka.

That's a bit like giving up on Wan Bissaka in my opinion.

How would Shaw be if we bought Tierney instead? Is that competition or is that replacing him? It sounds all too similar.

If we buy Trippier then its giving us that older RB that Wan Bissaka can compete with and learn from.

Once Trippier and Telles is done then we can replace them with younger players.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think AWB has improved this season. His awareness when we're defending has certainly got better, he appears to be in the right position more often, and doesn't get quite so close to the RCB. I've also noticed that when Baillie plays, he seems to take up slightly wider positions, possibly because he doesn't have to cover Lindelof's lack of pace, whereas Baillie has got the pace to cover AWB.
His passing is better, but still too often passes back to the CBs when he could go forward, I think that is still a lack of confidence in his own ability, which hopefully will improve. His crossing is still a little hit and miss, but on occasion has picked out a player very well, but still hits the first man. Would love to see more deep far post crosses.
I don't understand the idea that we need to sign a new RB. We have Williams and Tuanzebe who can slot in there, so why would we need anyone else?

AgentSmith

I'm not sure about the club, I was talking more about the transfer forum and this website and the players that people suggest and dismiss
Someone like Trippier is being suggested because he makes sense and would compliment Wan-Bissaka.

His experience, style of play and the stage he’s at in his career would help Wan-Bissaka rather than hinder him. It would also allow Laird, who seems very highly rated, to gain a few years experience on loan before taking Trippier’s place in the squad.

Cash looks a good player but he cost Villa £16 million in the summer and has had a great season for them. Villa are also very financially secure and he has 4 years left on his contract. So he’d easily cost double what they originally paid, probably closer to triple. He’d be an expensive back-up choice who’s 23 years old.

Trippier, if the price was right, makes way more sense.

Ekeke

Someone like Trippier is being suggested because he makes sense and would compliment Wan-Bissaka.

His experience, style of play and the stage he’s at in his career would help Wan-Bissaka rather than hinder him. It would also allow Laird, who seems very highly rated, to gain a few years experience on loan before taking Trippier’s place in the squad.

Cash looks a good player but he cost Villa £16 million in the summer and has had a great season for them. Villa are also very financially secure and he has 4 years left on his contract. So he’d easily cost double what they originally paid, probably closer to triple. He’d be an expensive back-up choice who’s 23 years old.

Trippier, if the price was right, makes way more sense.
But you're assuming that Atletico Madrid's first choice who is doing well for the top club in the league is cheap compared to the team who are 9th in the league and are going to do whatever it takes to hold onto their best player Grealish, which means considering selling other players so they can make transfers.

Chances are Atletico are going to demand a lot of money. Arsenal had to buyout Partey's contract for example

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
But you're assuming that Atletico Madrid's first choice who is doing well for the top club in the league is cheap compared to the team who are 9th in the league and are going to do whatever it takes to hold onto their best player Grealish, which means considering selling other players so they can make transfers.

Chances are Atletico are going to demand a lot of money. Arsenal had to buyout Partey's contract for example
Only one year left for Trippier. He is much easier to get .

AgentSmith

I agree with your underlying point about there being good value players lower in the league that we should be looking to secure before they become overly expensive options. Maguire costing Leicester £18 million from Hull compared to costing us £80 million from them is the perfect example of this.

I just think this is the wrong example of it.
It’s the profile of him as a player that makes Trippier the more sensible option. An experienced, older player who thrives in the areas of AWB’s game that are lacking who also wouldn’t hinder Laird’s long-term route to the first team. Cash doesn’t satisfy any of those criteria.

He was also signed 6 months ago for £16 million and is 23 with 4 years left on his compared to Trippier who is 31 at the start of next season with 1 year left on his contract. It’s a pretty safe assumption to make that Cash would cost more.

You’re also making odd claims about Villa’s financial position which, by all accounts, is strong given the backing their billionaire owners invest. They outspent us in the summer for example despite being nearly relegated.

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

I heard some talk about Max Aarons a while back. I'd like that. Different kind of full-back, and a good talented young full-back that would probably raise AWB's game more. I think Shaw has gotten better since we got Telles. Probably not a coincidence. I think AWB is fine, and will get better and better.

Ekeke

I agree with your underlying point about there being good value players lower in the league that we should be looking to secure before they become overly expensive options. Maguire costing Leicester £18 million from Hull compared to costing us £80 million from them is the perfect example of this.

I just think this is the wrong example of it.
It’s the profile of him as a player that makes Trippier the more sensible option. An experienced, older player who thrives in the areas of AWB’s game that are lacking who also wouldn’t hinder Laird’s long-term route to the first team. Cash doesn’t satisfy any of those criteria.

He was also signed 6 months ago for £16 million and is 23 with 4 years left on his compared to Trippier who is 31 at the start of next season with 1 year left on his contract. It’s a pretty safe assumption to make that Cash would cost more.

You’re also making odd claims about Villa’s financial position which, by all accounts, is strong given the backing their billionaire owners invest. They outspent us in the summer for example despite being nearly relegated.
Yes they did. So now they're unlikely to spend a lot. We dont spend lots every summer do we? We spend a lot some, and others we dont have the money... Because we've spent a lot

Brightonian

Trippier will want a fecker of a wage. Otherwise he'll have plenty of suitors at slightly smaller teams who will see him as their locked-in starter, which is obviously a more appealing proposition for the last few years of your career.

As long as it wasn't outrageous I'd still take him, though. Perfect stage of his career to back-up and compete with AWB very capably while not blocking Laird's path into the first team.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
There was a year left on Ashley Young and we paid a lot
Seriously? You are really comparing a promising young English winger who had a decent season coming from PL to a defender who is 31 in Sep coming from Laliga ?

Edit - I do agree with your original point about looking the next Trippier . But cash will be too costly. My post is just on Cash and Trippier.

AgentSmith

Trippier will want a fecker of a wage. Otherwise he'll have plenty of suitors at slightly smaller teams who will see him as their locked-in starter, which is obviously a more appealing proposition for the last few years of your career.

As long as it wasn't outrageous I'd still take him, though. Perfect stage of his career to back-up and compete with AWB very capably while not blocking Laird's path into the first team.
Trippier’s only on about £80k a week apparently. I don’t think he’d be able to demand too ridiculous a wage, from us or Atletico.

Brandon Williams is on between £40-60k a week (varies according to reports) as a comparison.

Brightonian

Has he ever conceded a penalty for us? I've been racking my brains and can't remember one.

If he never has, it's an insane achievement for a player whose game is built around tackling and going to ground. And he's not afraid of making big tackles in the box either. In fact I can't think of a player so willing to do that in the Premier League since... I dunno, Coloccini maybe?

Trippier’s only on about £80k a week apparently. I don’t think he’d be able to demand too ridiculous a wage, from us or Atletico.

Brandon Williams is on between £40-60k a week (varies according to reports) as a comparison.
Oh, fair enough. I'm surprised he's only on that.

romufc

Has he ever conceded a penalty for us? I've been racking my brains and can't remember one.

If he never has, it's an insane achievement for a player whose games is built around tackling and going to ground. And he's not afraid of making big tackles in the box either. In fact I can't think of a player so willing to do that in the Premier League since... I dunno, Coloccini maybe?
He has, Watford away last season.

Foxbatt

He had a very good game against City. Thou shalt not pass.
If he can get to cross with his left foot he is going to create a lot more chances too. Now he just pushes it past and try to cross with his right foot.

Teja

I agree with that. He’s capable of a few tricks, he’s not useless on the ball as some narratives would have you believe
Agree, he improved a lot in this respect over the last year or so especially in the opposition half where he can take more risks and losing the ball isn't as big a deal.

He's still not great during build up in that he's still a trigger for the opposition press - as soon as he gets the ball deep in our half, midfielders around him are marked, striker blocks the passing lane to the CB, oppo winger presses him etc. He can't try cute tricks at that point so he either makes a (sometimes poor) pass to McT or hoofs it up the field.

I think partly we need to deal with this weakness with tactics and I think he'll need to be more confident / improve his ball carrying a bit more as well. Valencia was a beast in this regard and is probably a good role model for AwB. He was the default out ball for the LvG side - CB / GK -> Valencia -> Run up to the half way line while holding off his marker and lay it off to someone in the midfield.

tjb

TBH, I see him as a great asset to have in a team not taking advantage of his unique defensive abilities. We still don't have a driving force on the right hand side. That exposes his weakness in attack

golden_blunder

Staff

It’s mad when we think “only on” 80k per week. That’s 2-3 years salary for some people. It’s mad what we come to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.