Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Well we did assess around 800 right backs before we signed him.

Olecurls99

I'm sure a tonne of clubs in the bottom half of the table would take him, but his price tag and wages will be a stumbling block.
He's on like 80k a week no? I would have thought that's fairly standard for a PL full back these days.
3 options available.
1. Keep him and pay him 8m to sit on the bench and let him leave for free
2. Loan out and get somebody to pay his wages for a small fee
3. Sell and at least get some money back for him

We're not gonna turn this into a win unfortunately. He's a great 1 v 1 defender and a good defender all in all but he's not good enough technically for a top team.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

He's on like 80k a week no? I would have thought that's fairly standard for a PL full back these days
Wait, what? He's on £83k p/w! For comparison, Reece James is on £57k p/w.

Absolutely no one is paying a very limited RB, near £90k p/w. Our insane wage structure has obviously distorted your views on players salaries. Ricardo Pereira who is far superior is on £68k p/w at Leicester!

Blood Mage

Got to be one of the worst signings we've made. There are better attacking RBs in League One probably.

Olecurls99

Absolutely no one is paying a very limited RB, near £90k p/w. Our insane wage structure has obviously distorted your views on players salaries. Ricardo Pereira who is far superior is on £68k p/w at Leicester!
I imagine Reece will be getting a pay rise shortly tbf

Robbie Boy

I imagine Reece will be getting a pay rise shortly tbf
Yes, of course he will, as he's one of the best RB's in the league! The point wasn't about James, though. It's about the ridiculous wages we pay our players, which is why they're impossible to shift.

People constantly bitch and moan about Liverpool getting good money for average players. They do so, because the players they shift aren't on insane wages. Absolutely no one is paying AWB near £90k p/w; it's totally illogical.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yes, of course he will, as he's one of the best RB's in the league! The point wasn't about James, though. It's about the ridiculous wages we pay our players, which is why they're impossible to shift.

People constantly bitch and moan about Liverpool getting good money for average players. They do so, because the players they shift aren't on insane wages. Absolutely no one is paying AWB near £90k p/w; it's totally illogical.
I don't think paying £90k per week for a £50m signing is all that outrageous. Of course it makes selling him more complicated, but that was hardly the focus when signing him

Olecurls99

Hmmm. I reckon an Everton, Moyes, Palace, Wolves would really see his value as a shutdown full back. In a defensive team he's gold. We shouldn't give him away.

Robbie Boy

I don't think paying £90k per week for a £50m signing is all that outrageous. Of course it makes selling him more complicated, but that was hardly the focus when signing him
Well, the whole transfer, in hindsight was a shambles. Giving a 50m signing 90k p/w is generally fine; but clubs generally don't blow 50m on a technically limited RB...

Anyhow, the initial point was that it will be hard to shift him as he's one of the best paid RB's in the league.

Robbie Boy

Hmmm. I reckon an Everton, Moyes, Palace, Wolves would really see his value as a shutdown full back. In a defensive team he's gold. We shouldn't give him away.
I think teams would want him - the point is, his wages and transfer fee will be a deterrent for the level of clubs that will want him.

Teja

PL proven / English tax.

Stones is on 250k p/w and Laporte, Dias are on half of that.

Olecurls99

I think teams would want him - the point is, his wages and transfer fee will be a deterrent for the level of clubs that will want him.
Well let's make some money off him at least. We don't want another Pogba situation.

20m and give Aaron 5m to take a reduced wage. We'd be 23m better off than the Pogba alternative.

Robbie Boy

Well let's make some money off him at least. We don't want another Pogba situation.

20m and give Aaron 5m to take a reduced wage. We'd be 23m better off than the Pogba alternative.
Yes, we definitely should be cashing in. He's clearly not going to make it here.

The problem is, no one seems interested. Palace were linked but only with a loan.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Getting worse every match, he's shown much better than this in the past.

Abraxas

As bad a preseason performance as it is possible to imagine. Gave it away every time he got it. I know it's a bad pitch but come on. Then strolled back into position. The right back situation looks a problem.

Godfather

Didn't look like a footballer out there. Incredible that with all the money spent, Maguire (just about) and Ronaldo seem to only half decent footballers we bought under Ole

Bwuk

I’d rather play McTominay or one of the CBs at right back than see him play for us again.

One of the worst footballers to play for us regularly ever.

Drainy

He's actually awful. As fun as his 1 to 1 defending is to watch, his lack of ability and poor all around defensive work is not enough for a fullback for us.

Dempsey19

When he loses the ball and slowly jogs back while the rest of his teammates burst past him.

Does my head in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nowhere near good enough and if we can recoup half of what we paid for him, we'll have done well.

Robindinho

Frustrating why Laird isn't coming on instead.

The bit when De Gea passed to him and on a soaking wet pitch, rather than controlling the ball, tries a 180⁰ spin, hoping the ball would roll in his path... Goes out for a throw in :confused:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Like others have said, we're never going to sell him cause his salary is extortionate relative to his ability.

Remember the geese

Frustrating why Laird isn't coming on instead.

The bit when De Gea passed to him and on a soaking wet pitch, rather than controlling the ball, tries a 180⁰ spin, hoping the ball would roll in his path... Goes out for a throw in :confused:
I agree. Laird is a footballer. Wan Bissaka needs to be sold.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think he did a single thing right. Frustrating how he's regressed so much, seems to have a "don't give a feck" attitude. He has enough ability and raw physical attributes where if he was determined to have a successful career under Ten Hag that he could improve and be good enough to compete IMO, but ever since he was benched by Dalot, he just seems to not care at all and has regressed constantly. Half assed jogging on the pitch, and is sloppier than he was when we first signed him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In a way it's a positive that our RB situation has clarified itself over pre-season. There's no question who our first choice is right now.

Based Adnan

Whoever got together at the club and agreed on sanctioning 50m for this fella needs seriously looking at

dubplate warrior

I don't think he did a single thing right. Frustrating how he's regressed so much, seems to have a "don't give a feck" attitude. He has enough ability and raw physical attributes where if he was determined to have a successful career under Ten Hag that he could improve and be good enough to compete IMO, but ever since he was benched by Dalot, he just seems to not care at all and has regressed constantly. Half assed jogging on the pitch, and is sloppier than he was when we first signed him.
He never regressed, he just didn't have any responsibility in possession because Ole was purely counter attacking football. Crap player from a crap era, sooner he gets in the bin the better.

sillwuka

Think we need to hope someone like Palace, Southampton or Bournemouth go in for him.

He will struggle with a possession based game I believe. (Strange as his first touch is good but his overall game is lacking)

ThanksBoss26

Most of those we're trying to shift (Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles, Jones etc) I'm hopeful we might shift permanently but we'll have to make an exception here I feel and accept the best loan deal we can get. And then just hope he finds some form again to sell next summer.

Red_toad

showed zero desire to play for the team. Might as well have not replaced Dalot and played with 10 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.